PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Impressions?

ozzi9816
08-05-2015, 05:41 AM
So, if you didn't know, you can download and install windows 10 right now. So I thought it might be a good idea to make a thread about everyone's opinions on it. I have some myself. It's not that it's bad, but a lot of other programs aren't ready for it yet, so they're very buggy. I'm reverting back to windows 7 for now, so I'll catch you later.

Dragonite
08-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Haven't updated. So far I see a lot of bug reports and no actual reason to do so than "ten is bigger than eight," and I really don't feel like spending the time trying to figure out which drivers broke and what is actually different about it.

And yeah, the bugs. Remember the days when there was no such thing as patching your software, and if it didn't work when people started using it you were stuck with it?

SFB
08-05-2015, 05:45 AM
I been holding back right now on Win10. I'm going to wait a few months down the road until improvements have been made and the general problems stop. My friend told me it's nice if you can get past all the bugs that are plaguing it right now. Microsoft didn't seem to mess up this time around, must be the Microsoft OS trend where one OS will be bad, the next isn't.

ozzi9816
08-05-2015, 06:06 AM
I'm baaacckk. Anyway, I think that bug-wise, its that the programs not related to windows haven't updated well, so I don't think it's microsoft's fault. It's just hard to get a release like this right

Starry
08-05-2015, 06:20 AM
I love that the Search Bar is so convenient to use and easier to find, and if you have a clutter Desktop like me, you'll probably use it a lot.

The Start menu is a little big and clunky, and it takes up a lot of space... It's nice to have the weather and all that good junk, but the left side of it barely has anything on it, and it just feels like a waste of space. Also, if you already had a taskbar with some stuff, you're going to have to take out some of the stuff that Windows 10 puts on their, because, for me anyway, the icons were way too small.

I have some trouble with the locked screen, as sometimes it won't let me get past the initial background with the time and everything, and sometimes it doesn't really recognize my clicks and doesn't log me in.

It has fixed some troubles that I had with my router, but now, my graphics tablet sometimes gets really laggy for no reason, and it didn't happen before I upgraded so I'm guessing it's Windows 10?

Overall, it's not terrible or bad or anything, it's just sorta.... there.

sonriopoby123
08-05-2015, 06:47 AM
I got rid of the search bar. I also fixed the white title bar **** and login screen.
Its cool for a casual like me.

Blue
08-05-2015, 07:04 AM
I have it right now. It's actually great because i came from 8. But because I'm so OCD about this really minor problem I have with it, I tried reinstalling it, four times.

The minor problem is that a keyboard shortcut doesn't work for a feature I'll probably never use.

If any of you guys have problems PM me and I'll *attempt* to help you. :D

Majorasfan
08-05-2015, 08:14 AM
I'm actually quite a fan of Windows 10 so far. I use a dual-screen setup, and previously on Windows 7 my task bar would only appear on one screen at a time - now it's on both, which is really convenient for me, and it looks nicer in general. I'm a fan of the search bar, and the lock screen when I log in looks nicer. Other than that, it feels nice and smooth when I'm opening windows, etc.

Regarding the privacy scare, I already leak out so much information that a little more won't hurt. I have my emails and Twitter synced so I get notifications really easily, which is pretty awesome.

So overall, I'm pretty glad I switched!

Will
08-05-2015, 12:39 PM
I still haven't changed from 7 after all this time. I've always been very comfortable with it and I haven't read anything that would make me willingly upgrade to 10 right this moment. However, I know a guy that is pretty much a computer guru and if he tells me to change then I know it is time.

Patriot
08-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Keep in mind guys, you have a whole YEAR to decide whether you want to upgrade. The free upgrade period is from July 29, 2015 to July 29, 2016. Take your time and decide later.

As for me, I love it.

Tuxy
08-05-2015, 06:05 PM
I've upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 just a day ago. It started out quite troublesome (Windows would only detect one of my two screens. Sometimes it switched which one it detected in the middle of me trying to figure out what to do, but it was always just one. Also, sound didn't work at all at first), but the big problems were all fixed after downloading and installing the first updates.
So far, all the software I used on Windows 7 has worked perfectly on Windows 10. At first it was a bit irritating to have the taskbar show up on both screens, but that was easy to get used to. The only big complain I still have remaining is the new start menu. It's terrible. Absolutely terrible.

BreeZaps
08-05-2015, 07:06 PM
I am really enjoying windows 10. No problems for me. Everything is very smooth.

Hakuiin
08-05-2015, 07:10 PM
I find windows 10 much more confusing to navigate than windows 7.
I feel like many of the helpful features are harder to find.

However, it does look a bit cooler.

X!!
08-11-2015, 05:12 AM
I upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10, but then my mic suddenly stopped working, and I spent a lot of time trying to fix the problem. In the end, I just went back to Windows 7. I couldn't see many noticeable changes between the two anyway, other than the cooler looking design in Windows 10.

UbersSuck20
08-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Windows 10 is pretty cool, but since my main OS is Ubuntu I don't really play on it. Not to mention I had 3 failed attempts at installing it before finally succeding, due to overheating issues.

Kyoits
08-14-2015, 09:31 PM
I love Windows 10 and am glad that I updated to it. I personally haven't notice that many bugs myself because I'm pretty casual when it comes to computers and I don't use many programs. Also, I have yet to even mess with Cortana, but from what I've heard it's nothing special so I'm not particularly in a rush. Overall though, Microsoft did a top notch job with this new OS.

Aaron
08-15-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't actually have Windows 10 yet, because I don't have my own laptop back yet. I could get it on my Mum's laptop, but it takes a really long time to install (by all accounts). She doesn't mind if I install it for her, though, so should I?

Zachgoose
08-16-2015, 02:50 AM
I'm waiting until more programs update to be compatible with it to update. Maybe once all the kinks are worked out in a couple of months. I'm all for it, though!

Xerodragon12
08-16-2015, 03:04 AM
I'm with Zach on this one. I use a lot of different applications for school, and I'm not sure if they have Windows 10 compatible versions of their software yet, so I'll wait until there's a Windows 10 compatible version of MATLAB and stuff like that.

Aaron
08-17-2015, 07:09 PM
But is the interface and everything like that all good? Mostly because my Mum doesn't use anything on her laptop other than Google Chrome, so she doesn't need to wait for Windows 10 compatible versions of programs.

Blue
08-19-2015, 02:26 AM
BREAKING NEWS:
Title bar color options are going to return as part of an update that's going to be released in a few months. Let me say that again. Title bar colors are coming back. Windows 10 is finally worth it!

sonriopoby123
08-19-2015, 02:36 AM
BREAKING NEWS:
Title bar color options are going to return as part of an update that's going to be released in a few months. Let me say that again. Title bar colors are coming back. Windows 10 is finally worth it!

http://i.imgur.com/Xr1GkTM.jpg

Blue
08-19-2015, 02:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Xr1GkTM.jpg

You can do you by now without that hack that makes the buttons on the right corner look like ****.