PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte

Patriot
08-05-2015, 03:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/mjzzcCC.png

Very few adolescent boys and girls have an onset of special abilities. Yuu Otosaka uses his ability unbeknownst to others in order to lead a satisfying school life. And then, a girl named Nao Tomori suddenly appears before him. Their encounter reveals the destiny for wielders of special abilities.

Episodes: 13
Adaptation: Original
Studio: PA Works
Genres: School, Super Power
Director: Yoshiyuki Asai
Script: Jun Maeda

Discuss this currently airing show made by the people who brought you suffering and Angel Beats!

I'm sure ch33se has some thoughts on it...

EpicCh33se
08-05-2015, 05:19 PM
After 5 episodes, it's still hard to really come up with any solid remarks, simple because anything we know so far that we think is useless, could come up later being super important.

This is one of those shows that have me super engrossed just because of all the things it throws at me.
I frequent places like MAL or Reddit, and even try to go on 2ch, which is Japanese only, to get clues or read what other people are saying. MAL has this awesome user by the name of Yuu_vi_Britannia who would translate stuff over from 2ch and share. Too bad everyone else is too busy complaining to read.

For example, this is a manga shot he posted recently, showing a scene that wasn't in the anime:
http://i.imgur.com/LdAnBjY.jpg

To me, the pacing in the show is kind of sloppy, but not as bad as everyone else is saying.
And the pizza sauce, which was thought to be a gag, is an important part of the story, like many people are thinking. If the anime continues to do this, then I think the show will be one of the largest users of Chekhov's Gun I've seen in years.

Majorasfan
08-05-2015, 05:28 PM
A lot of people I know are not too happy with it so far, but I'm enjoying this ride. I've watched and played everything KEY has made, and I know their style pretty well at this point. I know this will turn pretty sad by the last episode or so, and humor will start to fade in the next few episodes (6,7) to give way to a serious problem.

Episodes 1-3 were setting up the cast, and episode 4 was a mainly humorous episode. With episode 5, however, we're seeing things that will certainly impact the rest of the show pretty strongly - The sick sister, The bullied heroine, the bond growing between the two. Will it be a romantic one by the end? That's hard to tell since Angel Beats didn't seem to be going that way until halfway through, but this protagonist is different from normal KEY protags anyway, so I could see them doing something different.

tl;dr It feels formulaic to a lot of people but I think they're setting up hard for later like KEY usually does so I'm enjoying it.

sonriopoby123
08-05-2015, 05:32 PM
the loli has key aids and im excited

EpicCh33se
08-05-2015, 05:36 PM
the loli has key aids and im excited

those japanese colds, i swear
there's no escape

Tuxy
08-05-2015, 05:46 PM
Charlotte is certainly a very fun show so far, but I'm honestly a bit worried about the rest of the series. It seems too slow-paced for a one cour anime. We're almost halfway in and still don't really know anything.
Also, imouto is annoying and should die from that cold. Though most likely it's just a sign of her "powers" awakening or something.

EpicCh33se
08-05-2015, 06:04 PM
I suggest checking out this: http://seagull.hateblo.jp/entry/charlotte-character-neta

It's all in Japanese, but it's barely understandable via Translate.

Anyway, it states some interesting theories, like how Yuu might be copying, or taking away the abilities of people he possesses, or how the pizza sauce can possibly be medicine that is masked by the sweet taste.

sonriopoby123
08-05-2015, 06:07 PM
THEORY: the pizza sauce is ayumi's life source

Then when ayumi is on the verge of death, a whole dramatic scene is where yuu eats the food and says its delicious while crying out and ayumi just smiles and says "it was fun, onii-chan". 10/10 maeda scene right there

Patriot
08-06-2015, 02:55 AM
THEORY: the pizza sauce is ayumi's life source

Then when ayumi is on the verge of death, a whole dramatic scene is where yuu eats the food and says its delicious while crying out and ayumi just smiles and says "it was fun, onii-chan". 10/10 maeda scene right there

God I hope she dies.

Regarding the show, first episode hooked me in really hard. Unconventional a-hole MC? Cool! Nice pace? Great! Cue second episode, MC not as douchebaggy and kinda normal MC, ok, maybe it's just this episode. Nao being best girl? THIS SHOW IS GREAT! So episode 2, still good. Then came episode 3, 4, and 5 where pacing began to get wonky with what playing baseball taking up a whole episode, rogue superpower user of the week ****, and MC still being typical without any of the Episode 1 uniqueness. I'm beginning to question whether or not I still like this show, but seeing as how Maeda said he'd take the first 6 episodes slow and ramp it up afterwards, I'm really praying he can bring back the feeling I had for this show the first two episodes.

Maeda pls.

Also there's gonna be time travel, you heard it here first.

ozzi9816
08-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Eh, to me Charlotte doesn't really have that big of an impact that I was expecting from a key work. The only nice scenes so far (animation-wise) have been the op and maybe episode 1. Dang key, you gotta step up your game. I didn't even know this was a key thing until now, and that's not a good thing.

Plot is turning out to be a kind of standard "slice-of-life but with superpowers" kind of show. I'm still holding out that it will turn around later on.

Patriot
08-08-2015, 08:23 PM
So if you haven't seen episode 6 yet I suggest you watch it now.

That's all I'm going to say.

EpicCh33se
08-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/IxRSHHt.jpg

The girl on the far right of this picture isn't SALA, like many people have thought.

It's the new girl.
http://i.imgur.com/ZMpym1k.jpg?1

Which means that the girl on the far left is SALA.

This further proves that Yuu can take away people's abilities if he possesses them. Otherwise, Nao wouldn't have stopped him possessing Takajou.
http://i.imgur.com/p3zCIPY.jpg

Unshown scene from Yuu's dream in manga.
http://i.imgur.com/4lOZln6.jpg

Enlarged bottom right.
http://i.imgur.com/hdsVUle.jpg?1

This shows that ZHIEND was part of Yuu's past, and potentially the labs/hospitals.

Jun posted this image.
http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t618/Dakota_Chelsea/Screenshot%20356_zpsyejhkq2w.png

Gyaradomo
08-09-2015, 05:22 AM
yea i agree with patriot, mc just became cookie cutter. in the end i just kinda want him to be super evil and kill everyone cus he was planning the entire thing the entire time.

also some serious time travel stuff should go on based on the intro, im getting steins;gate feels

sonriopoby123
08-09-2015, 05:31 AM
jun my boy i never doubted you

Shaymin
08-09-2015, 05:47 AM
Jun Maeda how many dang verbal tics are you gonna give Ayumi not that I'm totally bothered by it, but dang these verbal tics. I've counted three or four so far.

Idk man, besides that, I think protag became so cookie cutter because most of his personality was involved with school and really, you don't see too much of that in Charlotte. I am slightly disappoint.

ozzi9816
08-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Well, episode 6 happened. I almost forgot I was watching a Key show
no really. actual spoiler for ep 6If Ayumi died, I'll have to pat them on the back for doing so. Not many shows have the balls to kill someone off, much less a pretty much main character.

Gyaradomo
08-09-2015, 07:30 PM
im like 100% sure she's dead but they will time travel to save her or something

Majorasfan
08-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Hoo boy, just caught up to episode 6.
I figured things would get intense around episode 6, but I didn't expect them to start so fast. Totally thought Ayu was a red herring and crazy yandere girl was the one with the power, but I was proven spectacularly wrong. It looks like she's dead, and I definitely wouldn't put it past Key to do that (personally I hope she is because that's the tone shift I was expecting). I also won't discount the chance of her somehow making it out.. but I agree with everyone else, chances are she's not OK. I liked the episode overall, nice buildup and I'm really looking forward to next week.

Majorasfan
08-15-2015, 09:49 PM
So I was the last to watch episode 6 and the first to watch episode 7 it seems. xD

Really good episode overall. So she did die, I'm glad they didn't cop out of that tbh.. and what a turn it took. I really thought it was interesting and understandable how he reacted to it, and his mental deterioration was very interesting to watch. The thing with Tomori caught me off guard though - I figured she would be the one to stop him, but wow, that was intense. And I predicted that she would make the omelette rice with pizza sauce, but man, that was a very good scene. KEY does it again, I guess. I am really enjoying this.

Patriot
08-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Episode 7 thoughts.

Well, I guess it wasn't a bad episode, but I felt like it could have done better. The depression part was actually really well done, but the whole thing felt like it went by so fast. Yes, it may actually be over a few months but it didn't FEEL like that since it was over by the end of the episode. Thanks to that, the resolution also felt kinda rushed, predictable, and disappointng. However, if they had this depression period over 2 episodes, the resolution would have been fine IMO. I can see people saying how stretching 2 episodes would leave less room for story progression but story progression can still be fit in these 2 episodes. Basically, it wasn't a bad episode, but it could have been done a lot better for better impact.

EpicCh33se
08-15-2015, 11:46 PM
He progressively got sweeter and sweeter food. Until final the omelette.

MY EMOTIONS.

Didn't notice this the first time. Instant ramen has a crap load of sodium.

No need to be alive to do experiment and test.
you can do this with your corpse

Going by Misa's situation, powers are tied to the conscious beings of people, not the bodies.

http://i.imgur.com/KESrBKx.jpg

This was what pissed me off the most in the whole episode.

I've had similar things happen to me, when people'd send other people to check up on me.

I wanted to shove a *****'s face down their own pie-hole.

Yuu's attraction to the arcade game transitioned to real-life, which I thought was pretty neat. VIDEO GAMES PROMOTE VIOLENCE, KIDS

Tuxy
08-16-2015, 12:10 AM
Finally some plot. Needed that.
I'm glad that they killed off a character before the end of the series. Shows what the writers are capable of. And I'm also happy that the most annoying character of the season is dead.
As a whole, I liked the new episode. The depression part was done very well, though I agree with Patriot that it could have been stretched out a bit more. Told you from the beginning that this show needs two cours. The ending was okay. Very predictable, and it didn't feel quite realistic to me, I don't know why. I'm very excited to see where this show will be going with the next few episodes.

EpicCh33se
08-16-2015, 12:13 AM
Finally some plot. Needed that.

There's been "plot" in every episode besides most of episode 4. It may not have been well executed, according to the opinions of some, but there is "plot."

Patriot
08-16-2015, 12:14 AM
There's been "plot" in every episode besides most of episode 4. It may not have been well executed, according to the opinions of some, but there is "plot."

Debateable. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

EpicCh33se
08-16-2015, 12:17 AM
Debateable. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Giving examples is one of the key points of debates, Patriot. If you wanna go, we'll do it right here and now, boi.

Explain to me how there may not be "plot" in episodes 1-6. gogogo

ozzi9816
08-16-2015, 12:48 AM
Whoo boy...

first off, really Key? you're just gonna make it rain for the whole ep? That's as cliche as you can get

Yuu's attraction to the arcade game transitioned to real-life, which I thought was pretty neat. VIDEO GAMES PROMOTE VIOLENCE, KIDS

I also feel they portrayed that realistically. Video games don't promote anything: they just are. There will always be people that are in that state of mind to by influenced by video games that way, and Yuu was a textbook example.

All in all, I think they portrayed his depression really well. I mean, it was kind of out-of-character for him at some points, but one might argue it's a slippery slope. I think some things they could have done to make it more impactful were:

To space out his descent into depression, not just throw him in like that. Maybe have him come back to the student council, then run away. It would have also given foreshadowing to the ending besides just a hunch she would help him. I didn't really feel that his bond with Ayumi was that close, and we never really got to see much of Ayumi in the first place, so it doesn't make sense for him to be that depressed. She was kind of the token little girl character. This ties into my next point...

Develop Ayumi more. Like I stated, I didn't feel anything towards Ayumi. She kinda was a gag character because all we knew about her was all her verbal tics and the pizza sauce running joke. I think that instead of showing the student council antics, they should have shown some of Ayumi's school life. Heck, the characters we meet in ep 6 seemed like they would have made an interesting episode or two. Another thing with Ayumi that was weird was that they didn't really show her bond with Yuu. It was just kind of implied. They should have at least had a bonding moment or something, if not an episode. It was mostly just Yuu sweatdropping at her antics.

But hey, Hironori Toba (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3878600/) left after Angel Beats' completion, so I'll cut them some slack. Besides, it's really hard to flesh out characters and tell a good story with 13 episodes.

Now for your random Angel Beats fact:
Hironori Toba (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3878600/)'s series, Angel Beats, was going to be 25 episodes long, but corporate meddling forced him to cut it to 13. He said that "13 episodes was not enough for him to tell the story he envisioned." He was so angry that they changed this that he left Key after the series was completed. He also directed all of the Haruhi series and movies, Katanagatari, and Chuunibyou. (Three of my other favorite shows minus Chuuni season 2)

//end rant

Majorasfan
08-16-2015, 03:23 AM

All I'll say on this matter is episodes 1-6, like many other KEY series, focused on character development. They were pretty formulaic in "Find person with powers, deal with them" and didn't really make anything "happen" but they created character development and interactions. And they way KEY does things, those are absolutely needed for their style of storytelling.
For instance, the biggest problem I had with Ayu's death is it didn't hit me too hard.. I've watched and read everything else KEY has done, so this wasn't as hard hitting as others have been simply because Ayu wasn't here long enough. I love how it made him feel and crash downwards, it was done really well - but I personally wasn't too crushed. I liked the ending though, I felt his emotions and it made me sad.. But at the beginning I wasn't as crushed as I should have been, because we didn't spend enough time with Ayu.

But like other series, now that we have the character interaction, a major event has happened, and now we'll go into the main bit, so to speak, where stuff gets real.

EpicCh33se
08-16-2015, 03:32 AM
All I'll say on this matter is episodes 1-6, like many other KEY series, focused on character development. They were pretty formulaic in "Find person with powers, deal with them" and didn't really make anything "happen" but they created character development and interactions. And they way KEY does things, those are absolutely needed for their style of storytelling.

That is true; it is a very formulaic way of progression. And if it turns out that Yuu does in fact have the Looting ability, then that'll put some more weight onto episodes 2, 4, and 5, as either Nao or Kumagami would have wanted Yuu to possess those three people specifically.

For instance, the biggest problem I had with Ayu's death is it didn't hit me too hard.. I've watched and read everything else KEY has done, so this wasn't as hard hitting as others have been simply because Ayu wasn't here long enough. I love how it made him feel and crash downwards, it was done really well - but I personally wasn't too crushed. I liked the ending though, I felt his emotions and it made me sad.. But at the beginning I wasn't as crushed as I should have been, because we didn't spend enough time with Ayu.

I think a big problem with Key is how often they overuse things, like death. Because of that, people expect to feel some sort of emotional pullback whenever someone dies, like in this case, since that pullback has happened numerous times in the past in other titles. I didn't feel devastated either when I found out, but I personally wasn't planning to feel devastated because I didn't expect any emotional pullback, and instead, looked at it as a way to push Yuu's character forward.
We may not care for Ayumi, but Yuu does.

Shaymin
08-16-2015, 03:50 AM
Similar to Majorasfan, Ayumi's death didn't hit me that hard, if at all. The first thought that came to my mind when they said she passed away was "okay cool, they killed off a character. That's fine with me". Then again, I've never really felt sad for a character's death besides Clara Oswin Oswald, but Clara is a character very dear to me, so there's that. Though I'm not quite sure how they would pull that off any other way that wouldn't make Yuu or Ayumi out of character, so I'd settle for what they went with. The depression was pretty good, although I'm going to have to agree with Tuxy because mental illness isn't the easiest to conquer like how they wrote it. If they had shown Yuu slowly close off from the world, I think it would've been slightly more believable. Though I'll take it since you can only show so much in a twenty minute timeframe. Girl from episode one was kind of random. Can never remember her name, that's how random I thought it was.

sonriopoby123
08-16-2015, 03:55 AM
Woah, the depression was really portrayed well. I actually had forgotten about Nao's ability and was surprised to see her there. She must've been the one who ordered the salad for him.

Well done so far. Now for the actual plot.

Gyaradomo
08-16-2015, 05:14 AM
this episode was pretty good, i liked it a lot because it was pretty made up of character progression. i legit shed one tear at mc regretting that he didn't do the best for his sister. hopefully they actually implement the fact that mc beat up and stabbed a bunch of dudes instead of ignoring it in the next episode.

also theory time. just putting another spoiler here cus theories can ruin things couldnt ayu be alive, but they're testing on her? I like this theory a lot, but kind of undermines the fact that someone died, which i really wanted to happen.

EpicCh33se
08-16-2015, 05:20 AM
couldnt ayu be alive, but they're testing on her? I like this theory a lot, but kind of undermines the fact that someone died, which i really wanted to happen.

http://i.imgur.com/ouPkP0R.jpg

I realize that he could have stayed after the funeral event, but I think the woman is still kind of fishy.

Patriot
08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Giving examples is one of the key points of debates, Patriot. If you wanna go, we'll do it right here and now, boi.

lol do you want me to just repost our entire skype log

EpicCh33se
08-16-2015, 09:32 PM
lol do you want me to just repost our entire skype log

That wasn't about whether or not the episodes had plot, it was about whether or not it was done well according to the 13 episode limit.

Also,

http://i.imgur.com/QEn2DYc.jpg

Notice how the door is locked. And then...

http://i.imgur.com/oK6t8rj.jpg

It's unlocked here. Nao was probably the one who unlocked it for Yumi.

Patriot
08-25-2015, 10:58 PM
DON'T WATCH THE EP 9 PREVIEW

Shaymin
08-26-2015, 12:09 AM
Mmkay .
Finally, that other poster actually has some significance. I've been waiting for the day when that would happen, I was getting a little bored with the slice of life+ routine. Most of my questions are with how Ayumi is still alive: how is she there? why is she there? Of course, there are other questions, but I would rather watch the actual episode before I do ask those questions.

EpicCh33se
08-30-2015, 01:29 AM
I like how when Shun uses his Time Leap ability, his eyes form star trails.

http://i.imgur.com/CdspeRH.jpg

It likely symbolizes how star trail photographs are long-exposure, which emphasizes the "time travel" aspect.

However, I noticed how the "stars" move counter-clockwise, which means his eyes showcase a view from the north pole. I believe that the perfect round-ness of the star trails in his eyes mean that it's in the celestial poles too. I think this goes hand-in-hand with the "geocentrism" or "Ptolemaic" thing.

http://i.imgur.com/n0purXS.jpg

Heck, the old man is pretty interesting. He states how "It's an extraordinary theory when you think in today's standards, but back then, it was the normal way of thought."
This made me thinking about how generally people aren't so interested in the starry objects anymore, but there were so many philosophers and stuff studying them back then.
He also asks Yuu:

http://i.imgur.com/a1h0KWk.jpg

And continues with saying that "He was treated as a nonconformist, shunned, and couldn't do anything anymore."

This is pretty similar to how people with powers are treated. I'm going to take a guess here, but if geocentrism was true, then wouldn't star trails have that "perfect round-ness" everywhere on the globe?

Shun = the true epitome of shunned?
Since he has an extremely important power, he could represent the negativity around every power user ever from these scientists, like how geocentrism/Ptolemaic is now not commonly believed. After all, he was tied down and blindfolded.
Considering that the man also likes classical music, which sadly, not many people listen to anymore, I think it further shows that he supports the power users.

SuperSceptile
09-11-2015, 03:18 AM
So I decided to watch this. The 1st episode was great, and 2nd was good and 3-5 were meh. 6 picked it up again and 7 got me hooked. I loved how they handled his depression. I can't say any of the things in 9 and 10 were too surprising, but the thing I'm worried about is, since he went back in time and changed things, Yuu most likely will never run into the singer, and that basically dooms Nao's brother. So far I'm liking this Anime quite a bit.

SuperSceptile
09-14-2015, 01:59 AM
Ok so I know this is double posting but I was the first to watch episode 11. This episode proved this series should be more than 13 episodes.

This episode felt so rushed. Too much was happening at once. While I will admit Kumigami's death and torture were hard to watch, the rest was really predictable and not very good. In my opinion, if they had built these enemies up, and had this as an arc, ending it like this would have been a better way to do this. Also, why wouldn't Yu have the 2 people jump off the thing they were standing on, and why wouldn't he have possessed the girl when she jumped at him? He literally beat up entire gangs 4 episodes below. I'm pretty disappointed to be honest.

Majorasfan
09-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Maybe I'm just being cynical, and that's fine if I am. If so, feel free to ignore my post. I just.. haven't been enjoying this for a few episodes now. Really questionable choices imo. I had really high hopes, but since around episode 8 I have just been disappointed again and again, and last episode (11) definitely makes me feel that way. There are just too many things that I disagree with...

Some of my complaints:
-After all of episode 7, he just comes back? And that's it? I mean, it did a great job of showing little moments of how he dealt with Ayu's loss, but overall he was pretty much back to normal.
-That Yusarin Music Video. Those Lyrics. Ouch.
-Her brother was just OK after all of that? Just hearing the song fixed him? That's just anticlimactic if you ask me.
-How did he know that Ayu was going to be attacked? All he knew was the building collapsed. How did he know where she would be, and that someone else was threatening her?
-I know people predicted in this thread that he would be able to steal people's powers, but.. that's just not where I wanted this to go. Everything that made Yu interesting to me dwindled away after the first few episodes, with episode 7 being another great point, then just back.
And for last episode in particular,
-The comet makes supernatural powers? Really? Bleh...
-Why such a crazy arc this late? It's SO out of left field.
-How would they be able to detect that time travel messed their plans up? If you find out as much as possible and go back to a crucial time in their planning, then they can't stop you. Time Travel is better than they're letting on..
-That really unneeded Nao fanservice shot. Why did she have to have her clothes off?
-Why would you think the people who asked for you don't know about all of your powers? You're not booksmart, Yu, but you're clever. Don't fall into their trap so obviously.
-Likewise, kidnappers, don't bring an unwilling esper who has the collapse ability to an abandoned, breaking building.
- So apparently the debris missed nearly everyone?!

I'm sure I'm being hard on the show, but that's because I hold KEY really highly in my eyes. Kanon and Clannad are amazing in my book, Angel Beats and Air are good as well, and Little Busters and Rewrite were fun reads as well. Charlotte started very promising for me and I continued to enjoy it, but it just feels like a lot of wasted potential. This should have been a 26 episode series, and everyone needed more development, and the plot needed to make just a little more sense for me to get emotional. For instance, just like my complaint with Ayu's death, I can't get emotional at Pooh here if I find out about his story one episode prior. What's the deal..

Oh well..

EpicCh33se
09-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Some of my complaints:
-After all of episode 7, he just comes back? And that's it? I mean, it did a great job of showing little moments of how he dealt with Ayu's loss, but overall he was pretty much back to normal.

The episode actually spanned over a couple of weeks at most. While I do agree that they could have used more than one episode, it wasn't solved in just day. And also, I wouldn't say he was back to normal. He seemed a little reclusive, and a lot more observant, as seen by his interactions with the student council when he came back.

-Her brother was just OK after all of that? Just hearing the song fixed him? That's just anticlimactic if you ask me.

There seems to be something up with Sala that we don't know yet. After all, it was her band's song that "triggered" Yuu's memories, which he should not have. Even Shun doesn't know why that is the case. Know that in this reality, Yuu never met Sala and Nao's brother was never healed.

-How did he know that Ayu was going to be attacked? All he knew was the building collapsed. How did he know where she would be, and that someone else was threatening her?

This is either a plothole, or an indication to something else. It could indicate that Yuu still has his telepathy powers from the the reality before, but I doubt it.

-I know people predicted in this thread that he would be able to steal people's powers, but.. that's just not where I wanted this to go. Everything that made Yu interesting to me dwindled away after the first few episodes, with episode 7 being another great point, then just back.

To each their own. I liked Yuu's development in episode 8. I felt like he really grew as a person. Of course, the next episodes almost threw that out the window.

And for last episode in particular,
-The comet makes supernatural powers? Really? Bleh...

To be fair, this was also hinted like how Yuu's true power was. People have been predicting that that was what Charlotte was since episode 2.

-Why such a crazy arc this late? It's SO out of left field.

This is an ***pull answer, but it could be that time wanted to fix itself by setting up a situation where someone would die, which was why it didn't happen in the reality before, since Ayumi already died.
Sorry, Life is Strange is getting to me.

-How would they be able to detect that time travel messed their plans up? If you find out as much as possible and go back to a crucial time in their planning, then they can't stop you. Time Travel is better than they're letting on..

To our knowledge, the most crucial points of planning were right in the beginning before the establishment of the school, and right before Pooh got kidnapped. Travelling back to before the school was built would really dent Shun's efforts. Otherwise, I agree with you here.

-That really unneeded Nao fanservice shot. Why did she have to have her clothes off?

There has been quite a lot of debate about this. In the end, most people settled with saying that undressing Nao was further humiliation in addition to the beatings that she got. Undressing actually is quite common a form of humiliation.

-Why would you think the people who asked for you don't know about all of your powers? You're not booksmart, Yu, but you're clever. Don't fall into their trap so obviously.

Yuu has been quite rash lately, just like with how he completely ignored the girl and attacked the two men instead, out of spite. I noticed that he shared this aspect with Shun, who has relied on Time Leap for everything he has done, and without it, a horrible leader and reckless to jump into situations.

-Likewise, kidnappers, don't bring an unwilling esper who has the collapse ability to an abandoned, breaking building.

When Yuu tried to use collapse, they warned him that doing so would not allow him to save the hostages. To be honest, the terrorists were pretty dumb too, as they literally guessed that Time Leap needed both eyes.

- So apparently the debris missed nearly everyone?!

Yuu used Telekinesis to save himself in time, so the girl probably isn't dead. The terrorists were just lucky.

SuperSceptile
09-15-2015, 12:56 PM
There are only 2 things I can defend about Nick's post. For the Ayu attack thing, the police could have found out about the attack and told Yu, and he could have figured out the general location of the attack based on where Ayu's body was. And I'm fairly certain the bad guys didn't know about collapse considering Ayu got that the power the same day all of this happened.

Majorasfan
09-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Props to the defenses EpicCh33se and SuperSceptile - My answer to most of those would be "fair enough". A few of them I agree were hinted like the comet etc (although that doesn't make me any happier about it tbh), but the vast majority of them still bother at me. I guess it bothers me because I was really enjoying the show and giving most of the questionable things passes early on because I loved the concept and loved KEY. Here we are now, and a lot of that has been a let down for me - the unique MC has become pretty standard overall (I was really hoping he would stay true to his episode 1 self because that would have been great), and the character drama that KEY thrives on is really weak, at least to me.

Now I'll say that I'm not saying Yuu's development is a bad thing - it makes sense in the story. And a lot of the things I'm bothered about makes sense, as you pointed out. Some things don't make sense either, though. Either way, I'm totally being affected by previous experiences here. I'm becoming jaded. So if you're enjoying the show still, that's good. I wish I still was. xD

But we'll see how the next two episodes go. To be frank, I'm pretty worried, but we'll see.

SuperSceptile
09-16-2015, 05:32 PM
I never said I was enjoying it. I said I don't dislike it. I expressed my own concerns earlier. It all just feels rushed. It could have benefitted from having a few more episodes is all. Episode 7 is by far my favorite episode in this anime, and I was disappointed that find that he got over it all so quickly.

sonriopoby123
09-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Charlotte vn incoming

Patriot
09-17-2015, 03:17 AM
I think the issue really comes down to that Maeda just cannot write compact stories. His stories always seem to have a large scope that requires either 24+ episodes or 50+ hr VNs. He keeps trying to write 13 episodes series and writes too much to fit, so he has to cram the plot down.

You'd think they'd learn from Angel Beats and give the man 24 episodes, but I guess not. :/

SuperSceptile
09-20-2015, 10:40 PM
So uh....... Episode 12 is interesting, I guess?

I liked the beginning where he wakes up, he'd be in a hell of a lot of pain after waking up. I thought overall it set the groundwork for the final episode fairly well. Misa's goodbye was a great way to finish off her character. As for what Yuu is going to do...... I don't understand it at all. He's gonna loot all of the abilities in a few years? Yeah right. Tomori is very sly. She rejected him without actually rejecting him. "Go do this thing that will almost certainly get you killed and I'll consider going out with you." If I had to guess, next episode is just gonna be an epilogue where he has all of the abilities, and then A. gets rid of them as planned, B. Go insane and destroy the world, or C. kills himself to get rid of all the abilities. I'm leaning heavily on C. I don't see this ending well. Or maybe they'll set up a 2nd season but I don't think that'll happen.

Overall, decent episode.

EpicCh33se
09-20-2015, 10:50 PM
I think that it's good to point out how in an interview, Nao's VA stated that she cried after watching the series.

sonriopoby123
09-20-2015, 11:02 PM
the first half of 12 was good until they shoehorned the misa thing in. after that it was back to the broken plot.

also, the japanese are WEAK

SuperSceptile
09-20-2015, 11:04 PM
I think that it's good to point out how in an interview, Nao's VA stated that she cried after watching the series.

I was not aware of this. I'm now 99 percent positive that Yuu is f*****.

Patriot
09-23-2015, 03:30 AM

Cried from how ****** it turned out to be

ayy lmao

Shaymin
09-23-2015, 03:47 AM
I was not aware of this. I'm now 99 percent positive that Yuu is f*****.

Jun Maeda specializes in nakige what do you expect

Though it'd be hard get a sad ending with the direction this series seems like it's going

SuperSceptile
09-28-2015, 03:08 AM
So the last episode actually was a pretty good episode, even if everything they put in it could have been multiple seasons alone lol.

Happy ending was cool. I thought he was killed by that last arrow, which would have made me so angry lol. Personally, I would have loved an entire season or 2 all about Yu plundering abilities around the world, there's a ton of potential. It was also nice to see Yu being competent for once. It's funny, he seems to be the most competent when he's the most insane. But all in all, fairly strong ending.

In the end, I don't regret watching this anime. It was decent. I'd probably give it something like a 6 or 7 out of 10. Good, but not great. The biggest problem was that it felt somewhat rushed and would have greatly benefited from having 24 episodes rather than 13.

Tuxy
09-28-2015, 12:43 PM
The last episode was one of the worst anime episodes I have seen ever. It doesn't make any sense (how the hell did he get into places like North Korea or Mecca?? how the hell did he not age even slightly during this journey that must have taken years??), it's incredible rushed, they made it seem like every place outside of Japan and Russia is dirt poor, and they left several questions from the series unanswered.

Too bad, really. This anime looked really promising, but got progessively worse every episode.

SuperSceptile
09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
The last episode was one of the worst anime episodes I have seen ever. It doesn't make any sense (how the hell did he get into places like North Korea or Mecca?? how the hell did he not age even slightly during this journey that must have taken years??), it's incredible rushed, they made it seem like every place outside of Japan and Russia is dirt poor, and they left several questions from the series unanswered.

Too bad, really. This anime looked really promising, but got progessively worse every episode.

He got into those places by blasting the hell out of them lol. That's just me guessing though. For the aging thing it could have been they just didn't show much of a difference, but idk. For the unanswered questions, the only one I can think of is what happened with the rocker and Nao's brother.

sonriopoby123
09-28-2015, 02:19 PM
He got into those places by blasting the hell out of them lol. That's just me guessing though. For the aging thing it could have been they just didn't show much of a difference, but idk. For the unanswered questions, the only one I can think of is what happened with the rocker and Nao's brother.

They showed a scene with him at the end, he's holdinh a ZHIEND album in his hand and listening to them.

SuperSceptile
09-28-2015, 02:37 PM
They showed a scene with him at the end, he's holdinh a ZHIEND album in his hand and listening to them.

Oh ok. I missed that. I really thought there was more to the singer though, like maybe she was the big bad or something.

Majorasfan
09-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Yeah, pretty much disappointed overall. If you told me I was being colored by my previous KEY experiences, you would be absolutely right. I'm sure I would have enjoyed this more if I didn't know what Clannad or Kanon, or even Angel Beats, was. I'm sure I would have, right? Maybe I'm just becoming super cynical, but yeah, my enjoyment tanked around episode 8-9 I would say. Before then it had a lot of promise, but then really really rushed events, seemingly random things to cause the plot to move forward that were then basically forgotten about or dealt with in a strange manner, and a strange conclusion left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Even before episode 8 and 9 I was complaining about character development. I couldn't feel very much for the tragedies because I barely knew the characters. Especially after episode 8 and 9, when events happened so quickly, how could I care about the feelings of characters that I'd seen for maybe 5 minutes on screen, some of which was in a flashback? So if I was forced to ignore the characters because they couldn't move me, then I guess next was the plot, which also got weird around then. SO much bothered me, ugh.

Basically, KEY has been trying to branch out into fantasy with character drama, rather than making character dramas with fantasy elements in them. That's the mistake in my eyes. Their classics and masterpieces have been so well received because they fleshed out the characters. Was that because they had the time to? Yes, that's certainly a major part - Kanon was 24 eps and Clannad had 2 seasons. AIR was only 13 though, and they did a decent job (mainly because they focused solely on the main female protagonist, but I agree with their call with time limitations in mind). Angel beats only had 13 eps, and the plot got iffy at the end as well, but the difference? There were 2 I see that really got me.
- They focused on the characters in a way that was not only natural, but brought you close to them. You got used to their struggles, etc.
- The end was a resolution that was bittersweet. It was a happy moment, but it was sad at the same time. It wasn't a happily ever after thing, and that was emotional.
With Charlotte, frankly the only two characters I even somewhat cared about were Yu and Nao. Yu had some interesting changes in his personality, to say the least, and while episode 7 did a good job with that (and might have been my favorite ep overall), the last episode was too bogged down with his quest to make us feel for his plight, in my opinion. I could also mention that I'm still bothered that he became such a normal and kinder person after a few episodes from the beginning, but I'm biased against those sort of semi-generic MC's, so that was just wishful thinking on my part I think. Nao held my interest until the end, but.. maybe it was just me, but that ending wasn't sad at all. I didn't get watery eyes, and I only felt slightly bad. This was the worst that happened? You sent the guy on a damned mission to get every power in the world, and the worst is he has amnesia? If you cared for him that much why didn't you go with him on his journey or something? Well, whatever. My point it, the end was not sad. Everything worked out in the end. Like, too well. I'm not saying every KEY work has to be sad, but this just had so little character drama that it was more a fantasy show, and an iffy one at that.

Granted, the show's art stayed consistently good and the first half of episode 12 was done very well in my opinion. The first 7 episodes showed a lot of promise and I enjoyed them. I'm not ragging on the whole show. But wow, it really disappointed me is all. I'm glad I watched Plastic Memories last season, because it did every I wanted in a character drama (by the end anyway). But that's another discussion.

Well, that's that. Time to watch as the Rewrite adaptation is done poorly, since I can't possibly see it working as an anime, yay!

sonriopoby123
09-28-2015, 05:24 PM
The Rewrite adaption's only savior will be if they can use Moon, but I doubt they will. Watch them make every route linear.

Majorasfan
09-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Yeah I somehow expect them to do that. If they did, I would have a morbid curiosity on how they could possibly mesh Akane's route and Lucia's route with Chihaya's or Shizuru's. It'll be a disaster, I'm sure. If they do Moon that would be fun to watch just for the animated bits, at least (lol).

SuperSceptile
09-28-2015, 10:21 PM
Yeah, pretty much disappointed overall. If you told me I was being colored by my previous KEY experiences, you would be absolutely right. I'm sure I would have enjoyed this more if I didn't know what Clannad or Kanon, or even Angel Beats, was. I'm sure I would have, right? Maybe I'm just becoming super cynical, but yeah, my enjoyment tanked around episode 8-9 I would say. Before then it had a lot of promise, but then really really rushed events, seemingly random things to cause the plot to move forward that were then basically forgotten about or dealt with in a strange manner, and a strange conclusion left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Even before episode 8 and 9 I was complaining about character development. I couldn't feel very much for the tragedies because I barely knew the characters. Especially after episode 8 and 9, when events happened so quickly, how could I care about the feelings of characters that I'd seen for maybe 5 minutes on screen, some of which was in a flashback? So if I was forced to ignore the characters because they couldn't move me, then I guess next was the plot, which also got weird around then. SO much bothered me, ugh.

Basically, KEY has been trying to branch out into fantasy with character drama, rather than making character dramas with fantasy elements in them. That's the mistake in my eyes. Their classics and masterpieces have been so well received because they fleshed out the characters. Was that because they had the time to? Yes, that's certainly a major part - Kanon was 24 eps and Clannad had 2 seasons. AIR was only 13 though, and they did a decent job (mainly because they focused solely on the main female protagonist, but I agree with their call with time limitations in mind). Angel beats only had 13 eps, and the plot got iffy at the end as well, but the difference? There were 2 I see that really got me.
- They focused on the characters in a way that was not only natural, but brought you close to them. You got used to their struggles, etc.
- The end was a resolution that was bittersweet. It was a happy moment, but it was sad at the same time. It wasn't a happily ever after thing, and that was emotional.
With Charlotte, frankly the only two characters I even somewhat cared about were Yu and Nao. Yu had some interesting changes in his personality, to say the least, and while episode 7 did a good job with that (and might have been my favorite ep overall), the last episode was too bogged down with his quest to make us feel for his plight, in my opinion. I could also mention that I'm still bothered that he became such a normal and kinder person after a few episodes from the beginning, but I'm biased against those sort of semi-generic MC's, so that was just wishful thinking on my part I think. Nao held my interest until the end, but.. maybe it was just me, but that ending wasn't sad at all. I didn't get watery eyes, and I only felt slightly bad. This was the worst that happened? You sent the guy on a damned mission to get every power in the world, and the worst is he has amnesia? If you cared for him that much why didn't you go with him on his journey or something? Well, whatever. My point it, the end was not sad. Everything worked out in the end. Like, too well. I'm not saying every KEY work has to be sad, but this just had so little character drama that it was more a fantasy show, and an iffy one at that.

Granted, the show's art stayed consistently good and the first half of episode 12 was done very well in my opinion. The first 7 episodes showed a lot of promise and I enjoyed them. I'm not ragging on the whole show. But wow, it really disappointed me is all. I'm glad I watched Plastic Memories last season, because it did every I wanted in a character drama (by the end anyway). But that's another discussion.

Well, that's that. Time to watch as the Rewrite adaptation is done poorly, since I can't possibly see it working as an anime, yay!

I agree with all of this EXCEPT your problem with the ending. It would have felt super forced if they decided to make it have a sad ending. There was absolutely no reason to make it sad in the end, besides it being a KEY show.

Shaymin
09-29-2015, 03:34 AM
The end was... okay, I guess. Honestly, if I had to gauge this show by comparing other anime, I would say that I had a better time enjoying the finale of this season's Prisma Illya. I suppose if you squint closely it was good, but it felt pretty rushed and uninteresting. I mean, I enjoyed the part where Yuu goes insane and pretty much accepts himself as the One Eyed Grim Reaper, but it was nothing more than mindless fun in the end.

It had a good start. At least it got people into the show. But the slack after that kinda killed the quality.

Majorasfan
09-29-2015, 04:14 AM
I agree with all of this EXCEPT your problem with the ending. It would have felt super forced if they decided to make it have a sad ending. There was absolutely no reason to make it sad in the end, besides it being a KEY show.

Yeah, I agree, the way it was at the end a sad ending would have been really forced. I guess it's just another thing they could have done if the last 5 or so episodes weren't so off. The real ending didn't help much, but I'm not sure any ending could have saved it by that point either, so fair point. xD