PDA

View Full Version : The Market System Faults

Prospering
08-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Now this thread is made solely to benefit the forum and not in anyway to be taken as hostility toward anyone. When the market system came out I think all of us were stoked that night when we had everyone having a good time changing the color of their name and such. However, upon coming to this website the idea around "The market system encourages quality posts" hasn't really hit home for me. Posts strictly used for banter that may not even contribute to the general thread can accumulate more likes than other post. Thus, the person creating a cheesy one liner benefits over those who made a heart felt post that is lines long. The suggestion I have is having a possible system in place for the market that adds a point or two towards a post that is x characters long in order to reward those that make a quality effort. Without some sort of way to benefit people for quality posts it honestly just feels like the rank system again just with a market system implemented with it. A member that has reached 100 posts now has a new color to his name, so does that suggest that there is a slight ranking system in place?It just has seemed these last two days that if you want to have alot of points it requires making many posts , but not quality ones instead posts that will garner many likes. These are just my thoughts on the market system and how there should be a little change taken place. Many thanks for any consideration.

sonriopoby123
08-06-2015, 10:11 PM
im offended

this has been an issue for so long but really i dont think anyone really minds. im against it. one liners are just one liners, and if youre jealous that theyre getting likes maybe make your serious post better? not every one liner gets likes, and good posts that contribute to the discussion, as we've seen in the lasts, do get praise, whether in likes or in replies.

if you want more points just post more and make sure the mods dont see your **** posts or make your **** posts so good they leave it (;

Zachgoose
08-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Ahh yes, the Reddit effect.

An "epic" one liner can get 8000 upvotes while a paragraphs of well thought out and insightful information. It definitely is an issue if spammy users are the ones who get to reap the most rewards from the market.

You say that there should be change taken place, but what are some changes that could be made to improve this?

Blue
08-06-2015, 11:35 PM
If we have to reward quality, somebody has to sort that out unfortunately. We could do this. We should have a 'Post of the Day' and a 'Thread of the week' or something like that. If you get featured, you get a crap ton of points. Unfortunately, there is no magical computer code that would automatically choose the best post and promote it. The ones that exist are horrible. (Just look at the YouTube comments system). Some human has go choose or vote on it, and that person needs to be principled enough to give a new member and a very popular member equal consideration when choosing what to feature. Yes some person has to do it, but what alternative do we have?

Tainers14
08-07-2015, 12:36 AM
I think there are a lot of us that are guilty of 1 liner posts. I know I am. I'll be the first to admit that the market system is not perfect. At the same time. A lengthy post doesn't necessarily mean it's a good post. I'd rather read a point that went through a medium of a couple sentences rather than a paragraph. It's hard to find an automated way that rewards users for good posts that contribute to the thread. This is an issue, however, Idk if it should be connected to the market.

Originally, the main purpose of the market was to get users to post more as opposed to just sitting in the chatbox. And it has helped encourage people to start posting instead of not posting at all. So in my eyes it is helping to increase activity compared to how often posts were made prior to the advent of the market system.

One thing that we could do is manually hand out points for decent posts. But I think there would be a bit too much bias(even in mods) for who and who doesn't get points.

Another final point I want to address is this: Does there even need to be a system that rewards people for good posts? I'm honestly fine with the simplicity of the current system. But yeah, it's a shame one liners get more attention then well thought out posts. But idk if the solution is through the market.

Shiningbolt
08-07-2015, 12:43 AM
I understand what you're saying, Prospering, but there are a lot of reasons why a post may get a like while others don't. A LOT of reasons. As Sonrio said earlier, one liners aren't the only posts that get likes. There are plenty of examples of lengthier posts getting likes.

This isn't really on the same scale as Reddit or Youtube. There are far less people here and things are a bit easier to understand. I could give theories for why some posts get more likes with evidence to support them, but how about some suggestions instead?

Do YOU like other people's posts? If you give a lot of likes, you'll probably start receiving more too.

Are you a talkative/memorable member of the forum? Do people see your comments a lot and value them? Do your friends post a lot and read other posts while they're at it? What I'm trying to say is popularity contributes to likes. People are more likely to read your post if they know who you are, and it's more likely that they will like your post as a result. Please don't take this too far though. You don't have to be the most well known person out there. Just known by some.

Finally, people like being helped or entertained. You could write a story or make artwork for people to enjoy. You can give encouraging words to people or give out suggestions, like you're doing now, for ways to improve the forum. And of course, you can give thoughtful posts in threads. People notice these things and do show their appreciation. Just know that doing this or any of the other things I've suggested won't work every single time. That's what makes it seem unfair. However, don't mistake other people's likes for a stroke of luck either. Especially not in a smaller community like this one.

That said, it would be nice to have other ways to get points than just posting and getting said posts liked. It would give people other things to do. I'm certain the mods/admins will start hosting tournaments and maybe Member of the Month could give rewards too (though you can expect posting and popularity to be important here too). Who knows? If you throw out some ideas, Prospering, you could make the points system seem more fair to other users.

marissachu
08-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Just a reminder that likes are community based and if individuals have issues with what kinds of posts are benefiting from the likes, I would encourage them to be more liberal with their own usage of the like button when it comes to a quality post. I know that I find myself liking posts often that people clearly put a lot of thought into that have zero likes, or likes only from the same few people who tend to use likes often.

However, it's also important to bear in mind that 1 like only equals 1 point. Even if I post M E M E S with 80 kappas and that post gets me 10 likes (about the most I tend to ever see unless there's a really bizarrely good/entertaining post), those 10 points aren't going to really buy me much of anything. Meanwhile, were I to make one thread, that thread would instantly get me those 10 points without nearing spam.

I'm kind of split on the issue because I agree there's more to be done, but I'm somewhat unsure of what could be done that would be both rewarding and decently balanced. I think it would be nice to see some sort of way to get decent bonuses, like with tournaments or maybe MOTM categories or something of that sort. I'd still like to see more opinions, but bear in mind any outrageous ideas might end up being vetoed for the amount of tedium Garth would have to endure to figure out how to make any algorithms or schtuff of that nature work.

Prospering
08-07-2015, 02:08 AM
I really appreciate the long, thoughtful posts on the subject and yea Marissa I totally see what you mean with how a long post might not necessarily be a good one. MOTM could definitely help reward quality posts if there are a few awards for it, but yet again those votes are from the community, so it could easily be biased in favor towards the more popular individual. The Post of the Day idea definitely seems interesting as that will definitely encourage quality posts as long as the reward for it is decent like 20-50 points. (Going to edit later currently busy)

EpicCh33se
08-07-2015, 02:38 AM
I'd like to point another fault in having longer posts = more points.
Stuff like the Creative Section would be a goldmine for points. For example, whenever I write a story, I generally want each post to be about 2-3 word processor pages long. Compared to what the usual post length is, it would give a LOOOT of points, whether or not the quality of the story is taken into consideration.

I'm also not too sure on this, but I think mentions give points as well.

As for now, "likes" seem to mean what it is, what people like, not necessarily a "good" post.
Funny posts, like one liners, can get a lot of likes. Personally, I feel as if a "funny" button that doesn't give the user any points could warrant a thought, but it might take priority over making actual good posts then.

Starry
08-07-2015, 05:58 AM
^^It wouldn't be just the creative section. Anyone who does a Nuzlocke, Pick My Units, chainplay, etc. would also be getting a lot of points as well, and those are filled with more memes and jokes than regular posts. See: Any Chainplay with X.

Merga
08-07-2015, 06:41 AM
Bad posting is a thing that happens on almost all message boards, and there really is no good way to deal with it correctly. Take Reddit for example. Long, and thought out posts usually get ignored or don't receive as much karma as dank memes. They did bring out the karma system to try to avoid that, but the only reason why thought out posts that have good points are shot down is because it's an unpopular opinion, and the person who makes the best one liner gets all of the glorious Reddit gold without even trying. We could do something about this, but it is very difficult to think of an actual system. Do you have any ideas?