PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic 4 Review

SuperSceptile
08-08-2015, 05:19 AM
SWEET MOTHER TERESA ON THE HOOD OF A MERCEDES BENZ, HOW CAN YOU SCREW THIS UP SO BAD?!

Ok, I was gonna rant about this movie, but I decided to just split this into paragraphs so it isn't me hating on it the whole time, because let me get this out of the way, this movie had potential, but they messed it up big time.

So for those who don't know, the Fantastic 4 are a group of 4 super heroes. Mr Fantastic, the leader, can stretch his body, Invisible woman can turn invisible and can create force fields, the human torch turns on fire and can fly, and the Thing is a giant rock dude. Despite being one of the most recognizable comic book teams, the fantastic 4 haven't had the best luck in the film department. They had a straight to VHS release in the 90's, which was horrific, they had their first silver screen debut in 2005, and that movie was decent. That movie got a sequel in 2007, and it was LAUGHABLE. After that, the fantastic 4 took a much needed break from movies until now, and honestly, I wish this movie hadn't been made.

Recently, comic book movies have been getting a much needed reform, with almost all of them being good or great. We no longer had anymore elektras or batman and robins. I thought we were finally past those, but I was wrong.

This movie has had a..... shaky at best history. It was announced all the way back in 2009, and was basically not mentioned anymore until 2013, where we got some casting news. Oddly enough, this movie has a FANTASTIC cast. Miles teller is phenomenal, Jaimie Bell is awesome, and Kate Mara and Michael b Jordan are good as well. There was a bunch of controversy about the human torch being black, but in the end, it really does not matter at all. Later on in the year, we started getting a few set photos. Namely, doctor doom's look. It was worrying, it was not doom, and it caused an uproar. We then basically heard nothing until we got a trailer in 2015, and more rumours got out about the director Josh Trank having creative issues with fox. Now that the back story is laid out, onto the movie itself.

This movie is awful at best. I went in expecting to dislike it, and I came out HATING it. But before I get to the bad, I'll talk about its few redeeming qualities. The 1st act of the film is pretty good. It does a good job of setting up each character, (besides doom and human torch), and it's pretty interesting throughout. However, once they get their powers, the final act opens, and it's UNBEARABLE. I should mention, fantastic 4 has no middle, it has a beginning and an end. The movie is also pretty short, and "Doctor Doom" is introduced in like the last 20 minutes of the movie, and he is LAUGHABLE. Doctor doom is one of the best comic book villains of all time, but they screwed him up SO BAD that it was like watching venom in spiderman 3, only 10x worse. He looks like a plastic toy, he is not threatening at all, and the way he goes out is probably the worst on screen comic book villain defeat ever. It is like a 5 minute fight, and it sucks. The movie ends way before it should, and I left the theatre not only upset, but extremely angry. This movie is not funny bad, it's just plain bad. It is a disgrace to the fantastic 4 name and comic book movies in general. DO NOT SEE IT.

Fantastic 4 gets a 2/10

Pros:
+Interesting 1st act
+Great cast.....

Cons:
-But horrible use of it
-"Doom" is less threatening than Thomas the train in antman
-HORRIBLE final "fight"
-Cheesy lines everywhere
-CGI is incredibly inconsistent
-No family dynamic between the team