PDA

View Full Version : Hoopa-Unbound Discussion Thread

UbersSuck20
08-08-2015, 12:54 PM
http://assets.vg247.com/current//2015/04/Hoopa_Unbound.png

Congratulations, Smogon. Great job allowing the 3rd best mixed wallbreaker (imo) in the entire game in OU.

also what a retarded design

With 160/170 offensive stats and an excellent movepool, Hoopa-U is almost impossible to switch into. Boasting its signature move, Hyperspace Fury, as well as access to moves such as Gunk Shot, Fire Punch, Drain Punch, Psyshock, Focus Blast and Grass Knot, plus the Hidden Powers, Hoopa-U is a nightmare to face for defensively-inclined teams. It even gets Substitute and Nasty Plot.

What's your favourite Hoopa-U set?

Dragonite
08-08-2015, 02:25 PM
My favorite set is the one where you bench it and replace it with something that doesn't look like it was inspired by Deviant Art.

No, really, 160/170 offenses don't go as far as they used to unless it has Specs, in which case it gets outsped by almost everything in the tier anyway. Its special defense makes it more of an issue imo. Mewtwo (all forms), Arceus, Darkrai and a few other things have slightly lower offenses (except Mewtwo Y) and enough speed and other redeeming qualities that they can reasonably expect to do other things, too.

Aaron
08-15-2015, 08:01 PM
I actually really like Hoopa-U. Its offensive stats are monstrous when coupled with a Life Orb, and, like you said, its wide variety of different moves provide huge coverage for basically every type and it's very difficult to switch into and predict what it's going to do next. My favourite set is the one that Ubers told me to try, which is Hyperspace Fury, Fire Punch, Hidden Power [Ice] and Gunk Shot. This set is great because it can punch holes in many of OU's biggest threats, and it's very difficult to switch into, and anything switching into it will be dealt a hefty hit.

SuperSceptile
08-15-2015, 08:33 PM
I don't like this thing because whenever I face it on showdown I freak out because I have no clue what it does. I did learn though that this thing can't take hits very well, and it's pretty much a glass cannon.

sonriopoby123
08-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Invest in defense only since it can take a few hits with it's special defense.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa in Sun: 252-297 (83.7 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I haven't had many opportunities to use this thing, but maybe it's because I'm using it wrong. Oh wel

Aaron
08-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Yeah, its Special Defense is sitting at a nice and solid 130, with an 80 HP, so it can take Special hits. However, its base 60 Defense stat really isn't that great, so, like Sonrio said, investing in Defense is probably a really good idea.

UbersSuck20
08-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Yeah, its Special Defense is sitting at a nice and solid 130, with an 80 HP, so it can take Special hits. However, its base 60 Defense stat really isn't that great, so, like Sonrio said, investing in Defense is probably a really good idea.

There's no reason to invest in defense. You're supposed to take advantage of its retarded offensive presence. Only invest in its offenses and speed.

sonriopoby123
08-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Base 80 speed really isn't that useful. You're gonna be hitting hard anyway.

Aaron
08-22-2015, 06:36 PM
After running a butt-ton of calcs, the only two things I found that can reliable switch into Hoopa-U, outspeed and OHKO are Dragonite, which has to have investment in Speed, and Kyurem-B. Any other Pokemon either outspeed but don't OHKO or are outsped and 2HKOd, so Speed can't really be that important on Hoopa.

UbersSuck20
08-22-2015, 07:07 PM
After running a butt-ton of calcs, the only two things I found that can reliable switch into Hoopa-U, outspeed and OHKO are Dragonite, which has to have investment in Speed, and Kyurem-B. Any other Pokemon either outspeed but don't OHKO or are outsped and 2HKOd, so Speed can't really be that important on Hoopa.

Yes, but Hoopa needs speed to outspeed Heatran and base 70s-75s, such as Breloom and Scizor. Also, max speed with a Hasty (or Naughty) nature means Hoopa-U will be able to outspeed most defensive Pokemon, like Mega Altaria, Rotom-W and bulky Zard X.

And Kyurem-B is OHKOed by Focus Blast while Dragonite dies after rocks.

Dragonite
08-23-2015, 12:58 AM

general rule: if a stat is terrible, don't invest in it. all you'll end up doing is raising its defense by 75% from 125-215 (with a neutral nature), which looks spectacular on paper, until you remember that an abysmal stat is still an abysmal stat after you dump 252 EVs into it.

Especially in the Uber tier.

UbersSuck20
08-23-2015, 07:44 AM
general rule: if a stat is terrible, don't invest in it. all you'll end up doing is raising its defense by 75% from 125-215 (with a neutral nature), which looks spectacular on paper, until you remember that an abysmal stat is still an abysmal stat after you dump 252 EVs into it.

Especially in the Uber tier.

Hoopa-U, as far as I know, isn't that great in Uberz. That poor base 80 speed really bites it in the posterior. And ExtremeKiller Arceus ruins its day.