PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Anime Style Battling

ozzi9816
08-13-2015, 03:04 AM
So I found this (http://alteredorigin.net/asbguide/), and I thought that it would be a fun addition to the forums. I wanted to know what everyone's opinions on this were, and if we would be able to do a anime-style league. It would probably attract new users and would be a new fun thing to replace mafia for the older ones. Also I do want the admin's opinions on whether this is feasible or not, so do speak up.

The only problem I could see is getting refs, since they have to be good writers and all. I know there are some people on here amazing at writing, but I'm not sure they'd dedicate themselves to this.

For the tl;dr version of the instructions: You can use any move your pokemon CAN learn at any time. There are no stats involved (except base speed for deciding how fast a pokemon is in the battle), and it's simplified down to "Energy" and health, with energy replacing PP for all your moves. You can only do things that are logical (eg: You can't use surf in a desert because where are you getting the water? A Walord cannot fit in a 10' by 10' room, etc), but in exchange you can use your environment to your advantage (eg: collapsing a building on a pokemon or throwing them off a cliff, etc.), and players can make arenas, no matter how ridiculous (You can fight on a giant flying pizza if you wish). And finally, pretty much every Pokemon is viable. You're not done for if you get your Furret pitted against a Garchomp or Dragonite, for example.

Dragonite
08-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Does this include the "yell at your pixelated minions at the top of your lungs as if it'll make a difference" bit?

Dunno if this counts, a while ago me and someone else (Ubers? Kamex? X? Someone?) did a few in-game champion battles, i.e. me copying Cynthia's team off Bulbapedia and whoever the other person was copying Ghetsis, and seeing who won. (Obviously Cynthia won, since she's the only final boss whose team got any actual consideration.) Was kind of fun,

ozzi9816
08-13-2015, 06:12 AM
Well, it's more like "you roleplay your battles but there's still some stats involved." It's more about the whole human aspect of it that makes it exciting. That, and being able to do things like "Cut the supports on the bridge and make the other pokemon fall!" which isn't possible in the actual games

Zachgoose
08-13-2015, 07:14 AM
It sounds cool but the issue with these is that most people always try to make their character win by any means and sort of drags it on.

"Bulbasaur used Razor Leaf and knocked Squirtle out!"

"Well, Squirtle was just pretending to be dead and let loose a torrent of water!"

"Bulbasaur became one with the matrix and slowed down time so not a single drop of water hit him!"

Etc.

Starry
08-13-2015, 09:32 AM
"Bulbasaur became one with the matrix and slowed down time so not a single drop of water hit him!"

I don't remember that in the games.... Was that in the anime?

Also, if anyone remembers the Battle Rankings, not a lot of people put creativity/thought into their posts after a while. At the start of the Battle Rankings, posts were pretty intuitive and had at least some thought and creativity put into them. But near the end of the Rankings, a lot of posts were just stuff like "I did blah and did 20 damage." I'm not sure how many people would be able to put and keep the same amount of effort that they put into each post.

Tainers14
08-13-2015, 11:59 AM
yea zach is right. Roleplaying gets perpetual since no one ever wants to lose. So you get two slow pokemon moving around like they are sceptile dodging everything like it's their day job.

Then you get the one guy that wins through trusting his pokemon and whips out the classic Ash Ketchum phrase saying "MY POKEMON RULE". I'm getting slightly off topic. Just want to say that I stand with what zach said.

ozzi9816
08-13-2015, 12:09 PM
The full rules have refs managing matches so this doesn't happen, but I do agree with Starry here. You're technically supposed to put your moves in like "Move 1 ~ Move 2 ~ Move 3" and specify how to use them, but I can see people losing interest quickly. And we really don't have enough members anyway to make this happen. :P

Aaron
08-15-2015, 10:07 PM
This does look interesting, but the problems have already been talked about. People are stubborn, and they don't like losing, which would lead to neverending battles of people making up ******** excuses for why their Pokemon wouldn't take any form of damage ever. Even with refs managing the matches, I still feel like people would try and pull stunts like that. I personally would enjoy, and would find it completely entertaining, but I'm not sure people would be as on-board as I am.