PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Go

Squirtletheguy
09-10-2015, 11:22 AM
So, Pokemon Go... I don't really have a complete opinion on it yet but I think this trailer is pretty epic. Leave your opinion on Pokemon Go below and if you haven't seen the trailer yet, well here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abL399rWlDY

Blade Lord Nayru
09-10-2015, 05:32 PM
This isn't gonna be anywhere near as cool as it looks. Technology just isn't that advanced yet.

This does look pretty fun, shame it's only for phones.

Xerodragon12
09-10-2015, 07:08 PM
MICROTRANSACTIONS ALL UP THE WAZOO

Seriously, though, it looks pretty cool, being able to interact with Pokemon in the real world. I will also be pretty surprised if there's no Pokemon Amie functionality within the app. The Pokemon Go PLUS device has to do much more than be an indicator of app activity in order for it to be worth it, like being a pedometer that could count steps (like for hatching eggs?)

Edit: Remember Google's April Fools Joke from 2014, where Pokemon were hidden all around Google Maps? It's like that, except on real-time street view, mixed with AR. The fact that the Pokemon Go PLUS resembles the Pokemon icons in the Challenge isn't a coincidence, either. Niantics, the company helping develop this, was started by the Google Earth creator John Hanke, within Google.

marissachu
09-10-2015, 08:58 PM
So, in theory this is a really neat concept. I think most of us that played Pokemon as children definitely fantasied Pokemon being real or wondered what it would be like if they were. However, I have a few hesitations based purely on what we know so far and have seen in the trailer...

1) The trailer is almost entirely conceptual. Like... cool, yes, there will be Pokemon that show up irl. However, the game is not going to look in any way like the animations in the trailer did. There's not going to be any intense Pokemon diving into water, you're not going to be actually throwing pokeballs, and a lot of the luster of something being in real life tends to fade when it's reduced to a 5 inch screen. Without having seen footage from the actual app, I remain skeptical of this idea.

2) The free-to-play, pay-to-not-hate-everything model always makes me nervous. Although there are definitely games that are enjoyable to play freely, I'm definitely worried this is going to be a game where if you want to catch any half-decent Pokemon you're going to have to fork over the big buckaroos for some better pokeballs. Essentially forcing the user to pay in order to get satisfaction from the game completely turns me off of wanting to even bother. I'd much rather pay an initial 10 bucks and have a built in system that allows me access to the features that would be offered from pay-to-win (in a non-frustrating way, where you don't have to wait 80 hours to get 200 pokedollars to buy a single pokeball).

3) I'm very curious as to what extent one will actually be able to "catch 'em all." As much as I do enjoy traveling to a certain extent, I also really don't want to have to travel up Mt. Everest to get access to a super special legendary Pokemon. Will the game be localized, allowing attainment of a variety of Pokemon even within your own city/country, or will I be forced into a life of only getting grass types because I live in Oregon (then needing to find lots of other people to trade with just to get some basic Pokemon that I like)? Or, perhaps even worse, will there be no organization to finding Pokemon at all--where you could just as easily find a Charmander or Trubbish in your backyard? Will Pokemon only be attainable at notable landmarks? I guess I have a lot of questions as to how the actual collecting will work.

Honestly, since it's free I'll probably at least download it presuming it isn't condemned as the worst thing ever right out of the gate. However, whether or not I actually invest any time/interest in this whatsoever is going to depend on how the answers to my concerns work out. It could definitely be a really fun thing to have on your phone, but I'm not going to waste my time on something poorly done. For now, I'll refrain from getting too excited and wait until we know a bit more and maybe see some actual footage recorded of the app itself to pass a more decisive judgment.