PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon of the Week - 4

[MaNiAc]
06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
And here is another Dragon for this week! It is none other than...

Hydreigon
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/websurfer1192/hydreigon.png
Dark/Dragon - Levitate
92 HP/ 105 Atk/ 90 Def/ 125 SpAtk/ 90 SpDef/ 98 Spe

This brutal Pokémon travels the skies on its six wings. Anything that moves seems like a foe to it, triggering its attack.
The heads on their arms do not have brains. They use all three heads to consume and destroy everything.

Man oh man has Hydreigon made its presence known in Gen 5! With an impressive base 125 Special Attack Stat, more than decent speed, with a bit of bulk on him, it is not surprise that this uniquely typed Dragon Pokémon has become very popular.

It has the capabilities to come in and start dealing some fast heavy blows. With a fairly decent move pool and the stats to back it up, Hydreigon can be a pretty big threat if it goes unchecked. It makes for an excellent sweeper, either Special or mixed.

Now what hinders this three-headed beast is its weakness to the buffed fighting attacks that have made their way up the ladder. The Drain Punches and Hi Jump Kicks sure due scare it way. It's Speed stat is also a tease at base 98, making it be outsped by the base 100 Speed Pokémon.

On the plus side, Hydreigon makes for a superior late game sweeper, capable of dealing heavy super effective blows to the opponent.

Choice items do wonders for Hydreigon. Specs will allow Hydreigon to spam a STAB Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor and deal fatal blows. A Scarf allows Hydreigon to be more of a revenge killer by fixing his "almost-but-not-quite" Speed stat. An Expert Belt is also a viable option to deal in some extra damage while bluffing a choiced item.

Discuss your opinions on the dark, three-headed dragon!

~

Weekly Recap

With its pretty good speed, outstanding offensive stats, and wide move pool, Hydreigon was made for sweeping! His stats are just asking for Choice Scarf/Specs abuse to tear teams apart!

Scarfed Hydreigon
Hydreigon @Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest/Timid
4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast/Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Surf

Specs Hydreigon
Hydreigon @Choice Specs
Levitate
Timid/Modest
4 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe
- Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast/Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Surf

Analysis:
The above sets are pretty much your standard Scarf and Specs set. Either come in fast for more of a revenge kill, or come in to hit HARD. Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor provide power STAB, especially the latter, dealing heavy amounts of damage on everything not bulked up in Special Defence. Dark Pulse provides secondary STAB and takes out those pesty Ghost types. The last 2 move slots are for coverage. Fire Blast or Flamethrower destroy the likes of Ferrothorn and other Steel types not named Heatran. A Focus Blast or Surf is there to take him out.

Other Options:
U-Turn is a very viable option, particularly on the Scarfed set, making Hydreigon a scout of sorts.

Also, a Choice Banded set may also be viable.

Hydreigon@ Choice Band
Levitate
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Lonely
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Draco Meteor

Analysis:
This set is to catch your opponent off guard. A Choice Banded Outrage will certainly put a dent into your foe. Fire Blast is there to take care of the all to common Ferrothorn, while Earthquake deals damage toward other Steel types. A Banded U-Turn will deal a nice chunk of damage while scouting. Draco Meteor is an alternative to deal more damage.

Hydeigon also makes for an excellent Mixed Sweeper thanks to its wonderful move pool!

Mixed Sweeper
Hydreigon @Life Orb
Levitate
Mild
140 Atk/ 136 SpAtk/ 232 Spe
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Crunch

Analysis:
This set utilizes Hydreigon's access to both it's physical and special heavy hitting dragon STAB attacks to deal massive damage to its unsuspecting victim. Crunch offers more physical STAB damage, whereas Fire Blast or Flamethrower takes out Ferrothorn and other Steel Types not named Heatran.

Other Notes:
Hydreigon, being the pseudo legendary that he is can most definitely deal some heavy damage against those that oppose it. It's wide move pool and fantastic offensive stats make Hydreigon quite the sweeper. It pulls of Choiced sets wonderfully, with almost a move to cover any counter that might want to come in. The Mixed set is excellent at late game sweeping once all of its faster opposing counters have been taken care of. Hydreigon is a very versatile sweeper, but thanks to this, it can be very easily predicted. With the Choiced sets being the most common, many will just send in something that can resist its last attack and take it out with any Fighting typed attack. Also, Hydreigon's teaser of a speed stat makes it vulnerable to faster revenge killers.

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-02-2011, 08:03 PM
meh. i like hydreigon but i can never get any luck with him

my choice scarf'd evil dragon
ability: levitate
nature:modest
EVS: what other then 252/252....you could try bulking it up but i dont see how that would help
moves:
dragon pulse/ draco meteor
dark pulse
focus blast
fireblast/flamethrower/surf
descrip: well choice scarf is one of your only ways of sweeping....i guess you could try specs but your a bit to slow to outspeed much
dragon pulse doesn't lower your sp. atk but meteor does have that HAX effect
dark pulse is for stab and coverage
fire blast is good but inaccurate
flamethrower is also good but not powerful enough for me
surf is considered one of the best water type moves and im surprised hydreigon has access to it

overall: hes a good poke and not one to underestimate but fighting types just mop the floor with hydreigon levitate gives him two immunites (cept for mold breaker pokes) which makes it easier for him to switch in and scarf males him one hellofa revenge killer. hes a great late game sweeper but as always play smart and the game is yours with this poke

Vash
06-03-2011, 12:58 AM
What up with the Psuedo-Legends for Pokemon of the week? What's next, Garchomp?

CloudNine
06-03-2011, 03:46 AM
Live with it. Hydrogen rules!

Hydrogen Bomb? Sure!
Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest / Timid
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower / Fire Blast
-Surf
-Earth Power / Focus Blast

Dump a Choice Specs on him and watch the carnage. Choice Specs + Draco Meteor pretty much nukes the opponent, doing massive damage to anything. Flamethrower or Fire Blast mini-nukes the Steel Types that may come to wall you, while Surf kills Steel Types called Heatran. The last slot is pretty much the filler, because you are only ever gonna need the top three attacks to do stuff. Heck, you'll just be spamming Draco Meteor.

[MuSiCa]
06-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Live with it. Hydrogen rules!

Hydrogen Bomb? Sure!
Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Levitate
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse / U-Turn

Why Surf in th First Pla? You hav arth Powr an Fous Blast. $%^&* This Kyboar.

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- U-turn / Draco Meteor
Choice Band Hyreigon. Surprise. Outrage is Outrage. Nothing wrong there. Fire Blast because Ferrothorn. Earthquake for other Steels. U-Turn and Draco Meteor are both good options. U-turn scouts and hits stuff hard, Draco Meteor hits some stuff harder.

Edit: My Keyboard works!

CloudNine
06-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Why Surf in th First Pla? You hav arth Powr an Fous Blast. $%^&* This Kyboar.
Heatrans like to float on Balloons, FYI.

[MuSiCa]
06-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Focus Blast? Hello...

Besides, you outspeed Heatran unless it's Scarfed. So Either it dies or you take some damage and it dies.

CloudNine
06-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Focus Blast? Hello...

Besides, you outspeed Heatran unless it's Scarfed. So Either it dies or you take some damage and it dies.

Focus Miss? Bai bai~

Ciel
06-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I run a mixed Hydreigon

Hydreigon @ life orb
Nature: Mild
EV: 252spe/140Atk/136spA
Moveset:
Outrage
Draco meteor
Fire blast
Crunch

Outrage and Draco Meteor for hitting hard on both sides and Fireblast and Crunch for coverage.

I was thinking of replacing either Outrage or Draco Meteor with a less crippling alternative... which one should I change?

[MuSiCa]
06-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Mix98 bulky Hy8r9igon tim9!

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Outrage / Dragon Pulse
- Work Up
- Payback
- Fire Blast

0 Sp998 IVs. Y9s my K9yboar8 n998s fixing ba8ly.

DucksGoMooful
06-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Mix98 bulky Hy8r9igon tim9!

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
- Outrage / Dragon Pulse
- Work Up
- Payback
- Fire Blast

0 Sp998 IVs. Y9s my K9yboar8 n998s fixing ba8ly.

I'll try and fix it for you:

Mixed bulky Hydreigon time!

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
- Outrage / Dragon Pulse
- Work Up
- Payback
- Fire Blast

0 Speed IVs. Yes my Keyboard needs fixing badly.

There you go.

[MuSiCa]
06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Hoorah! Thanks, Ala.

Spoofy
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
This thing is so predictable. They are always eather specs or scarfed and all you have to do is bring in something that resist it's last move and set up on the switch. Its only predictable because it is so over used.

[MaNiAc]
06-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I agree here with Spoofy. They are super over used, and very easy to predict and counter. I usually don't have any problems taking these guys out.

Leobreacker
06-03-2011, 11:06 PM
5th Generation, huh? I dont know anything about this dragon dude over here :P
All I know is this is a good moveset:
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Pulse / U-Turn

Alaina
06-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Set #1: Bulky Specs
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest (+ Special Attack, - Attack)
EVs: 120 HP, 68 Defense, 252 Special Attack, 68 Special Defense
Moveset:
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower
Surf

Set #2 : Physical Hydriegon (Credits to Flyyyyy)
@ Persim Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Work Up
- Earthquake

Moveset Explanation: Switch in and OHKO anything... yep... simple point of this set, the extra bulk is so that you can switch in easily and it does have some good bulk naturally.

CloudNine
06-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Well, you can don't go Choiced and still pwn with a Life Orb. Or you dump an Expert Belt on him and people will think he's choiced. Because he's not choiced, a whole new area opens up for him, mainly that ever annoying and unexpected Thunder Wave.

[MuSiCa]
06-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Problem there. Expert Belt on a Dragon is so wrong. Dragon only hits one type super effective: Dragon :P

Might as well go Wise Glasses even if it sucks, or maybe Dragon Gem (Ciel used one on his Hydreigon when we fought. I love Metagross)

[MaNiAc]
06-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Problem there. Expert Belt on a Dragon is so wrong. Dragon only hits one type super effective: Dragon :P

Might as well go Wise Glasses even if it sucks, or maybe Dragon Gem (Ciel used one on his Hydreigon when we fought. I love Metagross)

That isn't exactly how the Expert Belt works. You get a 20% damage boost if you use a move that does Super Effective damage on the opponent's Pokémon. Hydreigon gets an array of different typed moves that can do Super Effective damage on an array of Pokémon.

[MuSiCa]
06-04-2011, 07:47 AM
I know, but 99% of the time Hydreigon will be spamming Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor. The rest of the moves usually cover Steels, so yeah. Then again i could be totally wrong and it would work somehow.

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
it might work someone should give an expert belt hydreigon a try

Demyx
06-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Me no likey Hydriegon! All i can say is FOCUS BLAST GENGAR -.-!

[MuSiCa]
06-04-2011, 11:27 PM

Timid 252 SAtk Gengar VS Bulky Physical Hydreigon (252/0) = 317 - 373 Damage (81.70% - 96.13%)

I.E.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Payback
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

johtochampion
06-05-2011, 03:27 AM
You know, I just don't like this pokemon. Its easily countered, and like Spoofy said, its really predictable.

[MuSiCa]
06-05-2011, 04:25 AM
That's why we make a whole bunch of random sets so that people get confused :P

Jokes aside, this guy will 99% of the time spam Draco Meteor when you see him. Spec'd Draco Meteor hurts unless your name is Jirach, Ferrothorn, or Escavalier. Or Scizor. If it's a Physical variant, once it starts Outraging you can send in a Steel and KO with Superpower or whatever.

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
this guy like most of the other POTW makes a very dangerous late game sweeper
with specs/scarf attached he can OHKO mist everything with SR up seeing as most steels have a low SP. DEF

[MuSiCa]
06-05-2011, 11:54 PM
this guy like most of the other POTW makes a very dangerous late game sweeper
with specs/scarf attached he can OHKO mist everything with SR up seeing as most steels have a low SP. DEF

Correction, All, and I mean ALL Steels you see nowadays can take 2 Draco Meteors. From Latios. Specs Timid Latios. So you wanna decimate, Run Modest Specs. Then you'll bomb stuff.

Mindblown94
06-06-2011, 11:56 PM
If this guy had better typing and defense he would be a decent support poke.

Toxic, t-wave and a fast taunt, not that bad. But right now he's only sold as a sweeper. Not really much else can be said about him..

[MuSiCa]
06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Actually, you shouldn't say his typing sucks. Dragon / Dark + Levitate gives him pretty good resistances. Unfortunately it gives him some pretty good weaknesses to exploit as well.

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
his typing is unique and grants him 2 immunitys (with levitate of course) and a good ammount of resistances
although he may be easy to defeat do not underestimate him (remember ghetsis's hydreigon....)

Ciel
06-07-2011, 01:09 AM
if we start suggesting that he should have different typing and what not, why not just look for a different Pokemon? xD
I mean Hydreigon's typing is also what makes it have its own unique qualities.

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
and most of us did have trouble taking on ghetsis's hydreigon.....the only reason why i beat him was because focus blast missed my stoutland 3 times.......

[MuSiCa]
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Lol I wasn't suggesting that his typing was crap. Just that that Fighting Weakness will haunt him...

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
yeah with all the mienshaos and conkeldurps running around

GDItsMeInTheFlesh
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
AGAIN. I BEG YOU GAMEFREAK, WHY OH WHY DO YOU TORTURE US.

98 Speed!!!

IkkiMustang
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
hydreigon is a beast and it has indeed made its presence know in todays metagame. This hydra can put in work if it's not killed by the likes of chomp though.

GDItsMeInTheFlesh
06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
You know, I just don't like this pokemon. Its easily countered, and like Spoofy said, its really predictable.

Coming from the guy who spams Outrage on Haxorus :P

Vash
06-08-2011, 02:18 AM
I wish it had base 135 Sp. Atk like a real pseudo legend would.. :( I never used thsis guy....Maybe I should..?

Mindblown94
06-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Actually, you shouldn't say his typing sucks. Dragon / Dark + Levitate gives him pretty good resistances. Unfortunately it gives him some pretty good weaknesses to exploit as well.

Yes, but he's still weak to ice and fighting, 2 very common attack types on both the special and physical side.

[MuSiCa]
06-08-2011, 04:51 AM
I said he has some weaknesses to exploit lol

Especially Fighting, Ice and Dragon. All really common.

BlackSteel
06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I'd prefer earth power over focus blast cause of the accuracy