PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon of the Week - 6

[MaNiAc]
06-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Time to roll back the clock a bit and revisit this volcanic Pokémon! This week's POTW is...

Typhlosion
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c396/websurfer1192/Typhlosion.png
Fire - Blaze/Flash Fire[DW]
78 HP/ 84 Atk/ 78 Def/ 109 SpAtk/ 85 SpDef/ 100 Spe

It attacks using blasts of fire.
It creates heat shimmers with intense fire to hide itself.

With a pretty decent Special Attack stat and on par Speed, Typhlosion could really come in and deal a nice blow to your opponent.

What sets him apart from the rest is his access to the 150 base power STAB fire move in Eruption, assuming you have full health.

A Choiced Scarf set allows Typhlosion to come in and wipe out opponents with a full power Eruption. However, this move can be very predictable.

Because of it's Fire typing, stealth rocks could be an issue here, weakening Eruption's power with each switch in.

Discuss Typhlosion and its potential here!

Vash
06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Awww Yeah! Favorite Fire Starter!

Typhlosion@Choice Scarf or Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed
-Eruption/Fire Blast
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Rock
-Solar Beam/Fire Blast

This set can wreak havoc on a Sun team. Snag a Flash Fire boost on a predicted Fire move, and erupt away. If running Choice Scarf, put Eruption on it. You can also run Fire Blast over Solar Beam if not using a Sun team that way you have powerful STAB even when not at full health. If running Choice Specs, run a Timid nature. Focus Miss is kind of risky, but with Typhlosion's limited movepool, you're gonna have to make do, and it takes care of Heatran. Hidden Power Rock is there to deal with other opposing Fire types that would normally wall this set. You could Hidden Power Water to take care of all Fire types, but Hidden Power Rock is the better option most of the time.

[MuSiCa]
06-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Lol I can get started already xD

(From now on I'll just do the POTW For the respective Tier... The Serperior one sucked :X)

Typhlosion is known for it's well-timed switchins and Quick, powerful Eruptions. Coming off a Modest 109 Special Attack Stat, Eruption is sure to deal loads of damage, especially if it nabs a Flash Fire boost, one of the many new toys this Generation has given it. Flame Charge is another one of this Generation's gifts to Typhlosion, increasing it's speed by a 1.5x Multiplier, thus boosting it's average speed to more than acceptable levels, although it might not have time to use it. Another way to boost Typhlosion's speed would be via a Choice Scarf, or perhaps one may opt to let Typhlosion hold a Choice Specs instead, to further boost it's intense power. This is very viable as Typhlosion has an OK special movepool, consisting of attacks like Focus Blast and Extrasensory, though it will commonly have to fall back onto Hidden Power for coverage. Another look reveals a Large Physical Movepool, and while Typhlosion's attack stat is not all that great, it has an immunity to burn, and a larger movepool and Speed Stat separate it from Arcanine, although it is still outclassed. Typhlosion's cons are shared by it's fellow Fire Types, that is a Stealth Rock Weakness and weaknesses to 3 relatively common types, that is, Rock, Ground and Water.

Choice Scarf
Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Eruption / Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Extrasensory / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Solarbeam

Because of Typhlosion's naturally high speed and access to Eruption, a Choice Scarf set is perfectly viable. Eruption provides a very powerful 150 Base Power move that is dependant on Typhlosion's HP. If you dislike the inconsistency of it, Fire Blast is an alternative, though Flamethrower can be used if you really dislike taking risks. Focus Blast helps you past Rock Types like Regirock and Omastar, and should always be used despite having similar coverage as compared to Eruption. It's also useful against stuff like Houndoom. Extrasensory gets past Fighting and Poison Types, and even though Toxicroak is OU (!!), it hits stuff like Thick Fat Hariyama. Hidden Power Rock can be used to get past Fire Types, should they wall you. Hidden Power Grass kills off Water Types, though Solarbeam can be used if you are running Typhlosion on a sun team.

EVs / Nature
Max Speed Modest outruns Scarfed Rotom-A, so whatever. Timid reaches Max Speed and if you are running Timid, you can drop down to 216 Speed EVs to outrun Scarfed Base 95s like Houndoom and Darmanitan. If you wanted. 4 Defense EVs and not HP Since it allows you to take less % Damage from Stealth Rock.

Choice Specs
Typhlosion @ Choice Specs

EVs / Nature

Note to self: Save this format

Cmon, Ideas!

PokemonJoe
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
finally my fave pok gets recognized.lol

noob
06-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Typhlosion @ Life Orb
Any nature will do.
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Eruption
Sunny Day/Hidden Power
"Kill it with Fire"

[MuSiCa]
06-17-2011, 02:13 AM
<Deleted on request>

Wow, I'm surprised that this week so little people posted sets...

Btw Correct my mistakes before this goes on the Main Site.

Ante
06-17-2011, 05:42 AM
YAHHHHH Typhlosin!!!!

Vash
06-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Typhlosion @ Life Orb
Any nature will do.
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Eruption
Sunny Day/Hidden Power
"Kill it with Fire"

Bad type coverage is bad.

Ante
06-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Lol I can get started already xD

(From now on I'll just do the POTW For the respective Tier... The Serperior one sucked :X)

Typhlosion is known for it's well-timed switchins and Quick, powerful Eruptions. Coming off a Modest 109 Special Attack Stat, Eruption is sure to deal loads of damage, especially if it nabs a Flash Fire boost, one of the many new toys this Generation has given it. Flame Charge is another one of this Generation's gifts to Typhlosion, increasing it's speed by a 1.5x Multiplier, thus boosting it's average speed to more than acceptable levels, although it might not have time to use it. Another way to boost Typhlosion's speed would be via a Choice Scarf, or perhaps one may opt to let Typhlosion hold a Choice Specs instead, to further boost it's intense power. This is very viable as Typhlosion has an OK special movepool, consisting of attacks like Focus Blast and Extrasensory, though it will commonly have to fall back onto Hidden Power for coverage. Another look reveals a Large Physical Movepool, and while Typhlosion's attack stat is not all that great, it has an immunity to burn, and a larger movepool and Speed Stat separate it from Arcanine, although it is still outclassed. Typhlosion's cons are shared by it's fellow Fire Types, that is a Stealth Rock Weakness and weaknesses to 3 relatively common types, that is, Rock, Ground and Water.

Choice Scarf
Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Eruption / Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Extrasensory / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Solarbeam

Because of Typhlosion's naturally high speed and access to Eruption, a Choice Scarf set is perfectly viable. Eruption provides a very powerful 150 Base Power move that is dependant on Typhlosion's HP. If you dislike the inconsistency of it, Fire Blast is an alternative, though Flamethrower can be used if you really dislike taking risks. Focus Blast helps you past Rock Types like Regirock and Omastar, and should always be used despite having similar coverage as compared to Eruption. It's also useful against stuff like Houndoom. Extrasensory gets past Fighting and Poison Types, and even though Toxicroak is OU (!!), it hits stuff like Thick Fat Hariyama. Hidden Power Rock can be used to get past Fire Types, should they wall you. Hidden Power Grass kills off Water Types, though Solarbeam can be used if you are running Typhlosion on a sun team.

EVs / Nature
Max Speed Modest outruns Scarfed Rotom-A, so whatever. Timid reaches Max Speed and if you are running Timid, you can drop down to 216 Speed EVs to outrun Scarfed Base 95s like Houndoom and Darmanitan. If you wanted. 4 Defense EVs and not HP Since it allows you to take less % Damage from Stealth Rock.

Choice Specs
Typhlosion @ Choice Specs

EVs / Nature

Note to self: Save this format

Cmon, Ideas!

That's all i have to say....

[MaNiAc]
06-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Correct my mistakes before this goes on the Main Site.
!!!!
Refrain from posting your POTW write-up on this thread (and posts like the one above), especially this early since the thread remains open until Monday. Allow others to discuss first and use their input later.

[MuSiCa]
06-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Sorry >.>

I just really need an opinion on that. In that case, could you leave the POTW thread open till wednesday or something? I don't want to PM you if I need changes to it later on.

(Deleted and Deleted)

Mindblown94
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Bad type coverage is bad.

He was joking lol

[MuSiCa]
06-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Lol we could do that for the lulz. Except it should be...

Typhlosion @ Fire Gem / Charcoal / Flame Plate / Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire / Blaze
EVs: 252 SAtk, who cares as long as you hit hard
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Useless Crap)
- Blast Burn
- Eruption
- Overheat
- Fire Blast

xD

Anyway, for the next POTW, please post your opinions. PLEASE.

PKMNbattleSchemes
06-20-2011, 12:19 AM

- Blast Burn
- Eruption
- Overheat
- Fire Blast

xD

anyone else hear "burn baby burn" in their head or is it just me?

Mindblown94
06-20-2011, 12:48 AM

- Blast Burn
- Eruption
- Overheat
- Fire Blast

xD

I'll try if you don't post all of the sets in one day. X.x

[MuSiCa]
06-20-2011, 01:11 AM
But I'm good at that D:

I need a way to encourage posting... Gyah >.>

[MaNiAc]
06-20-2011, 03:41 AM
If you want SIG, just lead the discussions by possibly posting set ideas (not the actual sets) for people to post about. Then offer your own opinion, and pick the best sets discussed about for the site write up.