PDA

View Full Version : #629, Mienshao (Analysis)

PokemonGod
07-17-2011, 08:39 PM
http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/620.gif
Hello, and welcome to Mienshao's Analysis Page! Remember, Mienshao's Tier is OU.

Fake Out Annoyence:
Nature:
Adamant
EVs:
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Ability:
Regenerator
Item:
Life Orb
Moveset:
Fake Out
U-Turn
Drain Punch
Hi Jump Kick

I was really surprised at how well this does. Fake Out + U-Turn is great and gives you an almost assured resistance of an opponent's move, because it gives you a free switch in. In addition, Regenerator restores 25% of Mienshao's HP.

Hi Jump Kick can backfire, but with Regenerator + Drain Punch, it won't really make much of a difference. Life Orb doesn't really douse Mienshao's HP, because it will easily be recovered.

Mixed Set:
Nature:

Naive
EVs:
160 Atk/96 SpA/252 Spe
Ability:
Regenerator
Item:
Life Orb
Moveset:
Hi-Jump-Kick
U-Turn
HP Ice
Stone Edge

VERY nicely tested set, and widely used, IMO only second to the set above. HP Ice kills Dragons and Crobat, whereas Hi-Jump Kick + U-Turn + Regenerator
serves the same purpose as the first set. Naive nature for not dropping any needed stats, and Ghosts are covered with this set too.
Discuss Mienshao below!

.sECRET
08-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Hidden power ice is better on Mienshao than drain punch. Hi jump kick already gives you stab and hidden power ice means you can beat Gliscor with stealth rock. 212 atk/ 40 spA/ 252 spe is standard and the best set.

Oh, and Regenerator restores 33% iirc.

IkkiMustang
08-24-2011, 11:19 PM
I agree Hp ice is better on Mienshao it has more coverage. Meinshao seems pretty good I dont have a set for 1 yet but have been working 1 for a while.

Sambo
08-31-2011, 07:49 PM
If you're that worried about HP then you could use Drain Punch over Hi Jump kick, but if you're healing a third of your HP you may as well just go for it. And, as mentioned before Hidden power Ice might as well be an essential move for taking out common switch ins.

[MuSiCa]
09-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Drain Punch misses out on essential OHKOs that Hi Jump Kick doesn't. Hence, Hi Jump Kick is more likely to preserve Mienshao's health as compared to Drain Punch. Hidden Power Ice is similarly important, as it hits common Gliscor leads and switch-ins for massive damage. Without it, Gliscor forces Mienshao out prematurely.

PKMNbattleSchemes
09-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Mienshao = Predictability
if you see that your opponent has one 9/10 times they will send it out first
and Mienshao is great against unprepared opponents but a ghost of any type just shuts them down

no fake out no hi jump kick no drain punch all you would be able to do is u-turn
and if your ghost type is a mismagius like mine is i could get in the will-o-wisp before you switch which completly ruins it

so there are its flaws its pluses are
almost always full health thanks to regenerator
fake out is anoying
hi jump kick gets stab and that insane ATK point
drain punch will also hurt
and u-turn does a little damage and switchs

great lead but make sure you eliminate any ghosts (especially that mismagius) before using it

.sECRET
09-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Mienshao = Predictability
if you see that your opponent has one 9/10 times they will send it out first
and Mienshao is great against unprepared opponents but a ghost of any type just shuts them down

no fake out no hi jump kick no drain punch all you would be able to do is u-turn
and if your ghost type is a mismagius like mine is i could get in the will-o-wisp before you switch which completly ruins it

so there are its flaws its pluses are
almost always full health thanks to regenerator
fake out is anoying
hi jump kick gets stab and that insane ATK point
drain punch will also hurt
and u-turn does a little damage and switchs

great lead but make sure you eliminate any ghosts (especially that mismagius) before using it
So basically you're saying that Mienshao has counters. Just like any other pokemon.

And Mienshao speed ties with Mismagius, who isn't even common.

PKMNbattleSchemes
09-01-2011, 07:02 PM
So basically you're saying that Mienshao has counters. Just like any other pokemon.

And Mienshao speed ties with Mismagius, who isn't even common.

yes Mienshao has counters, thats the point of the game, if there was one poke that didn't have a counter everyone would use it :I, i was only pointing out the one poke that could easily destroy a mienshao with those moves so that he realizes the counter and may make a team that can compensate for this or so that he can change his moves.

and i dont use tiers to often, its no fun if you can't use who you want because the tiers prohibit you from using them

[MuSiCa]
09-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Well, then certainly Mismagius isn't the only one that can do so. Better examples include Scizor, Reuniclus, Skarmory, Gengar, Venomoth, and Heracross. All of these Pokemon can force Mienshao out while setting up, or putting down entry hazards. Scizor can either U-turn to scout the switch-in, Swords Dance or Bullet Punch. Reuniclus can set up Calm Mind while withstanding U-Turn, and also present the threat of Psychic or Trick Room. Skarmory completely walls Mienshao and a Brave Bird will easily finish Mienshao. Or, Skarmory could set up Spikes. Gengar uses Substitute much better than Mismagius, although not much better. Venomoth takes anything and Quiver Dances or puts Mienshao to sleep. Heracross easily takes Hi Jump Kick, Hidden Power, Stone Edge and U-turn. In return, a Close Combat will severely dent any Pokemon.

PokemonGod
09-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Thank you all, for the consideration for this page. :D

I do agree, that this Mienshao that I've reviewed could have another Mixed Set with HP Ice. I'll do it alongside Sundays Update. :P

PKMNbattleSchemes
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
;63091']Well, then certainly Mismagius isn't the only one that can do so. Better examples include Scizor, Reuniclus, Skarmory, Gengar, Venomoth, and Heracross. All of these Pokemon can force Mienshao out while setting up, or putting down entry hazards. Scizor can either U-turn to scout the switch-in, Swords Dance or Bullet Punch. Reuniclus can set up Calm Mind while withstanding U-Turn, and also present the threat of Psychic or Trick Room. Skarmory completely walls Mienshao and a Brave Bird will easily finish Mienshao. Or, Skarmory could set up Spikes. Gengar uses Substitute much better than Mismagius, although not much better. Venomoth takes anything and Quiver Dances or puts Mienshao to sleep. Heracross easily takes Hi Jump Kick, Hidden Power, Stone Edge and U-turn. In return, a Close Combat will severely dent any Pokemon.

good points, except the only thing that a close combat won't severely dent is a ghost type which is why HP ice/dark should be considered

[MuSiCa]
09-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Or you could U-Turn / Switch out to your handy Scizor / Tyranitar / Blissey and call it a day. Are we talking about Heracross or Mienshao now? Because Hidden Power on Heracross is arguably useless and Mienshao doesn't learn Close Combat.