PDA

View Full Version : Garchomp Analysis

HECTOR
05-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Garchomp

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/TeamUber_album/Pokemon%20Analysis%20Art/Garchomp.png

Swords Dancer

Garchomp @ Life Orb / Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 Spe / 16 HP
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang

After just one Swords Dance it OHKO's Max HP/Def Gliscor/Weezings/Dusknoir and does 92.97% - 109.38% to Max HP/Def Donphan and Damage: 85.95% - 101.19% to Max HP/Def Hippowdon. It can not OHKO Max Def/HP Cresselia with a single SD boosted Outrage, (Damage: 80.41% - 94.59%) but Cresselia doesn't OHKO back anyways so a second Outrage does it. Max HP/Def Skarmory takes 69.76% - 82.04% damage from Fire Fang which is really nice to get in before being Roared away. This set should be used with a team with much paralyzis support such as Body Slam Jirachi,Force Palm Hariyama or simply Thunderwave , or for very late-game where your opponents revenge killers such as Frosslass/Weavile/ScarfGar/Azelf etc. should be dead.

Chain Chomp

Garchomp @Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA /240 Spe /16 Atk
Nature: Naughty / Rash
-Swords Dance
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

The basic ChainChomp. This set OHKO's Blissey after a Swords Dance and is great for surprising Defensive Walls like Gliscor, Weezing, Hippowdon etc.. Gliscor and Hippo unfortunately, survive a Draco Meteor and Max HP Weezing takes 90.12% - 105.99% from Draco Meteor.Rash Nature is also an option which has the chance of OHKOing Gliscor, and Weezing dies to it around 95% of the time(98.80% - 116.17%).

Chain Chomp V2 -(added by Eternal)

Garchomp @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 Atk / 162 Spe / 148 SpA
Nature: Rash
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake / Swords Dance

A very dangerous set when used properly. With 200 EVs on Atk and Life Orb boost Garchomp is capable of crippling about half of Gliscor's HP. With Sword Dance boost Garchomp is capable of dealing about 90% on physical wall Suicune with Outrage and OHKO'ing Blissey (so you can see how powerful that is). Draco Meteor is capable of dealing 80-95% damage on Gliscor (with stealth rocks, you can maximize you chances of a sure OHKO). Fire Blast is capable of dealing about 65% on a max HP Celebi and OHKO'ing Skarmory. Earthquake is there for its 50% STAB increase. The 160 speed EVs allow Garchomp to reach a speed of 280. Which is enough to outspeed adamant Heracross' and Lucario's. With Sword Dance up, it is almost impossible to counter this Garchomp with anything less than 280 speed. An excellent late game sweeper.

Scarf Chomp

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 180 Spe / 76 SpA
Nature: Adamant
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Its outspeeds a lot of pokemon except those with higher base speed that are scarfed. Garchomp is bound to kill at least 1 pokemon on the other side. Remember, this Garchomp is for REVENGE KILLING, so it will kill a lot. It can also sweep with Outrage, but be VERY sure that the opponnet doesn't have a scarfed Starmie or Weavile, being locked in an Outrage is very dangerous against those pokemon with an Ice move. Fire Blast is there for same reason as before, this time I gave it more EVS in SP AT since it already has the Choice Scarf boost. A lot of people decide to go 252 AT , 252 SPD, which I find pointless, but its your choice, I'm only here to give my personal opinion and optional choices. Very good set and Pokemon, probably the one that gets the job the done best, will never let you down.

Invisible Chomp

Garchomp @Brightpowder
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Nature:Jolly
-Dragon Claw
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake

Let me explain myself. This set is only meant to be used when using a sandstorm team. Sandstorm activates Garchomp's Sand Veil ability, and with the additional effect of Brightpowder, the opponnet misses 3 out of 5 times ( calculated by myself so not efficient, 15/25).

The strategy in this set is to Substitute, being POSITIVE that you outspeed your opponnets pokemon , and pray for the other side to miss. If he hits you keep subbing, he will eventually miss, unless of course he's using a never-miss move such as aerial ace. When you finally have the substitute, and your opponnet either misses or doesn't destroy it, Swords Dance away, then, you guessed it, you sweep, sweep like a broom lol. You can also Swords Dance when you predict a switch, but i find it better to sub. This is probably my favorite set, second being the Revenge Killer.
Careful though, some people play with the no Luck items rule and Brightpowder is one of those items, so be very careful.

Specs Chomp

Garchomp @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 SpD
Nature: Modest
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf

Not my favorite set, but still deserves an honorable mention ( more of a gimmick set :P). Not much to explain about this set. Draco Meteor is to plant a big hit. It is preferred that you are POSITIVE that you will KO the opponnet if not, its going to be very hard to defeat a pokemon after getting your SP ATK decreased by two stages, if you're not sure you're going to kill it, go with dragon pulse.

Band Chomp

Garchomp @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Crunch/Stone Edge
-Fire Fang

Standard Choice Band Set. HUGE attack power with a Choice banded Outrage, then again you're risking, as I've mentioned before, a physcial wall free switch in (such as skarm or forretress that can spike) or letting Starmie, Weavile, etc. Kill Chomp with no mercy

Freehit

Garchomp @Leftovers/ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 6 HP
Nature: Jolly
-Substitute
-Dregon Claw / Outrage
-Earthquake
-Crunch/ Swords Dance

Bring out Chomp when you know that your opponent will switch out, ie: He has Pikachu, you switch in Chomp. Predicting he would switch out, use Substitute. Now you have the upper hand in doing damage to him and you'll only get hurt just a little bit. Substitute takes 1/4 of your HP meanwhile Leftovers heals, better than taking a hit from Starmie switching in. You can also Swords Dance if you manage to still have the sub alive. Earthquake is for STAB and coverage as well as Dragon Claw or Outrage. SubSalac is really nice along with a couple of boosts from Swords Dance and a bit of hax of Sand Veil.

Tank Chomp

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Yache Berry
EVs: 252 SpD / 160 HP / 96 Def
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Man this guy is a beast. He'll have everybody thinking you hack LOL, TRUST me. Thanks Frank for this set. This Garchomp is able to take a hit, and a big one. It can take a Dragonite's Outrage, so yeah, LOL. Personally I like Yache berry on this set, just so you can do some damage without getting hurt by a starmie that thinks it will sweep you that easily :P. Life orb isn't really necessary, since you have SD already, but more power never hurts :twisted:

Name: Walled Ya!

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
188 HP / 54 Atk / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

188 HP EVs = 404 HP, which gives maximum Leftovers gain. 16 Spe outspeeds Max speed Tyranitar. Max Defense guarantees Garchomp surviving an Outrage from Max Attack Garchomp, even with the 188 HP EVs it survives. The rest just goes in Atk. Also, this helps survive Ice Beams from 273 SpA Pokemon, such as Starmie or Vaporeon.

Counters

Garchomp has a decent amount of counters, those including Bulky Starmie, Hippowdon, Cresselia. Basically anything with a STAB Ice Attack/ powerful ice attack/boosted SP ATK (cresselia CM). Some other pokemon that can easily switch in on Garchomp are Forretress and Skarmory, as long as they don't switch into a Fire Blast. Slowbro also deserves an honorable mention. I believe he can take 2 or 3 Outrages from a Choice Banded Garchomp, then Ice Beam giving it the OHKO. The Specs set is probably the easiest to counter, since it has no physical attacks. To counter the specs set, just throw in a Special Wall such as Blissey, Mantine, Cresselia, Snorlax, etc.

Zeus
05-27-2008, 05:31 PM
LOL, Eternal got pwnt. But wasn't he supposed to be working on it? Ah whatever.

One problem I see is on the Chain Chomp set. The EVs exceed 510 by 18, so the EVs you mentioned add to 528. You might wanna change that.

Also, you don't have to but, make a mention of Salac Berry in the more bulkier sets or the Subbing sets for Garchomp.

Other than that, great work as always.

Chrisomar
05-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes Eternal is working on it I suggest you save it somewhere on your computer.

HECTOR
05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
Too bad for Eternal :P

Corrected the mistakes Zeus, thanks!

Chrisomar
05-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I corrected them. :x

HECTOR
05-27-2008, 06:10 PM
I corrected them. :x

No I did, you corrected the format ^___^

RiC
05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
<,< As i said on the mcp you should change the description in the first set a bit, and not just copy what i wrote =P.

Farmer
05-27-2008, 08:33 PM
rofl nice to see you working hard copy and paste ftw.

Eternal
05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Yes, I was supposed to Garchomp. You were supposed to highlight Garchomp on the Organization of pokemon thread, so we know who is working on which pokemon analysis.

Next time do that, before ruining someone else's work.

But, nicely done. I will add another Garchomp set. One of my favorites.

Eternal
05-28-2008, 01:19 AM
This set is only meant to be used when using a sandstorm team. Sandstorm activates Garchomp's Sand Veil ability, and with the additional effect of Brightpowder, the opponnet misses 3 out of 5 times ( calculated by myself so not efficient, 15/25).

I believe its 72%, not 60%.

Evasion is raised 28%

Sand Veil = 20% evasion
Brighpowder = 0.1(80) = 8%
20 + 8 = 28% evasion

Also stated by Smogon: http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/garchomp

ShieryuSilvr
05-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Nice, Stealth rock and Roar are also nice options for chomp ^_^

ToMmY
05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
lol 528 ev's rofl

Wildcard
05-29-2008, 10:46 PM
lol 528 ev's rofllol? i dont see it

Woj
05-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Love the v2 Chain chomp eternal

overall great work hector! ^_^

Zeus
05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
lol 528 ev's rofllol? i dont see it

Hector edited it after I told him to edit it.... Tommy <_<

Hi Wildcardz :o

ShieryuSilvr
05-30-2008, 04:07 PM
528 Evs...pwnage (H)

ToMmY
05-30-2008, 11:06 PM
wel done zeus, u deserve a pat on the back! :D

Zeus
06-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Name: Walled Ya!

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
188 HP / 54 Atk / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Bleh, too lazy to describe mvoes purposes because it's self explanitory.

188 HP EVs = 404 HP, which gives maximum Leftovers gain. 16 Spe outspeeds Max speed Tyranitar. Max Defense guarantees Garchomp surviving an Outrage from Max Attack Garchomp, even with the 188 HP EVs it survives. The rest just goes in Atk. Also, this helps survive Ice Beams from 273 SpA Pokemon, such as Starmie or Vaporeon.

XxSalientxX
06-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Only thing imma say about this pokemon is......BROKEN!!! :twisted:

soccerforward29
06-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Just for ***** I will post my set. I didn't really figure out ev spread or anything yet, but you guys can phuck around with it.

Garchomp@leftover/life orb
Jolly
252 attack 252 speed 6 hp
rest
sleep talk
outrage
swords dance/dragon claw/roar

Outrage acts as a single move when you rest/talk it. You can use the other slot to set up, get more type, or blow some pokemon around using roar. Also makes for a good status absorber. =)

Zeus
06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Yes soccer, that set. That set can have the same spread as the Bulky Chomp I posted... 188 HP / 54 Atk / 252 Def / 16 Spe Except you can keep the Jolly nature (imo)

Tyranids
06-12-2008, 05:49 AM
smogon wants to über chompy :cry:

And SD Yache is win

soccerforward29
06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
smogon wants to über chompy :cry:

And SD Yache is winHe should be uber. <_<

mosers15
06-13-2008, 12:50 AM
screw smogon we have our own tier.
and yache chomp is practicly uber...

soccerforward29
06-13-2008, 02:06 AM
and yache chomp is practicly uber...Yeah team uber > smogon, no questions asked.

Tyranids
06-18-2008, 06:02 AM
and yache chomp is practicly uber...Yeah team uber > smogon, no questions asked.LOL :D

I dont even use Chomp... But because of it everything spams HP Ice and Ice Beam, it's hard to get in Chomp... You have to SD on like Blissey, then Outrage for an OHKO... But what? You wasted your Yache when Bliss Ibeamed you, now you're ****** by Gengar, Weavile, Mamo (all common)...

But, Sand Veil is gay. **** it. It makes me want to do a Sunny Day team or some ****. It is gay when your revenge kill or Yache waster gets ****** by it. You have a 40% chance of that with Veil up...

Chrisomar
06-19-2008, 01:17 AM
What is our tier based off its sure as hell not usage? Fanboyism perhaps?

Tyranids
06-19-2008, 02:19 AM
What is our tier based off its sure as hell not usage? Fanboyism perhaps?True, if it was Usage then Chomp would be in Ubers forever ago. It beats second place by a shitload and even Morton weighted...

PokeNeo
06-24-2008, 12:33 PM
i like the invisible chomp.

mosers15
06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
invisible chomp is uber illegal xD

PokeNeo
06-24-2008, 09:29 PM
lol.

K1nG 0f DrAg0N5
08-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Item: leftovers
Nature: impish
Attacks
1Sword Dance
2substitute
3.outrage
4.brick break

ev: 255 defene & 255 hp

Statigar
08-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Write a description of how to use it too please. Then we can easily add it to the analysis.

ikke
08-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Write a description of how to use it too please. Then we can easily add it to the analysis.and evs?

Spannertastic
08-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Attacks
1Sword Dance
2substitute
3.outrage
4.brick break

See? again with the 255/255. At least write 252 HP / 6 Att / 252 Spe even if you're not going to have calcs for reasoning behind your spreads.

Sorry if this looks like flaming but this stuff kinda gets to me.
If you don't really know the spread then say that the EV's are pending but should be focussed on certain stats.

Farmer
08-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Attacks
1Sword Dance
2substitute
3.outrage
4.brick break

See? again with the 255/255. At least write 252 HP / 6 Att / 252 Spe even if you're not going to have calcs for reasoning behind your spreads.

Sorry if this looks like flaming but this stuff kinda gets to me.
If you don't really know the spread then say that the EV's are pending but should be focussed on certain stats.Really really bad set dont even get me started on the evs and brick break even when it hits for super effective it does the same amount as earthquake.

Spannertastic
08-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Farmer has a good point, plus if you're going for bulky then Outrage really isn't a good choice seeing as it lets a steel counter like specs heatran come in and maul you without looking back.

I didn't even look at the set, I was too busy being pissed off about the ev spread. A bulky Garchomp does have merit but i'd say something like:

Chomp@Lefties/Yache
Impish
252 HP / 4 Att / 252 Def

-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake

It's walled to **** by Skarm but w/e, it's an idea for something bulky that can also top 101 subs and get in a definite SD after a Sub. This set would also work nicely in a sandstorm to get some sub sand veil hax

Duh
08-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Attacks
1Sword Dance
2substitute
3.outrage
4.brick break

I'v got a good name for this, FailChomp, honestly brick break provides absolutely NO coverage whatsoever as farmer stated and the major reason most pokes pack BB is to kill ttar, too bad EQ does the same amount of damage while being infanately better, also the 255 evs are just classic