PDA

View Full Version : Gyarados Analysis

Eternal
05-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Gyarados

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn107/TeamUber_album/Pokemon%20Analysis%20Art/Gyarados.png

BulkyGyara

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 216 HP / 16 Atk / 176 Def / 100 Spe

-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge / Earthquake / Ice Fang
-Taunt / Substitute

Basically, this Gyarados is meant to switch into something like Heracross and be able to sweep with Dragon Dance. After two Dragon Dances, it can be very dangerous to counter.

DDGyara

Gyarados @ Leftovers / Life orb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe

-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Taunt / Earthquake / Bite
-Stone edge / Ice Fang

Fast sweeper set. Nothing much to say here. The 60 base power Bite and its awesome 30% flinch rate over Earthquake, as Bite has a 79% chance to OHKO the same Starmie.

CBGyara

Gyarados @ Choce Band
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe

- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stone Edge

This is basically like DDGyara, but without the need for Dragon Dance's 50% attack boost.

RestTalker Gyarados

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 80 Def / 60 SpD / 20 Spe

- Waterfall
- Stone Edge / Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Very goos status taker and is able to set up or sweep while asleep.

DDGyara V2 -(Eternal style)

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 30 Def / 228 Spe

- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

An extremely dangerous set. This set you can outrun adamant Heracross or Lucario without Dragon Dance. With one Dragon Dance you are able to reach a speed of 420. Which can outspeed Jolteon and OHKO it with Waterfall. The Substitute can be used for massive speed set ups. Such as subbing on a Forretress or Bronzong and start Dragon Dancing for the desired 6-0. A very difficult set to stop. Once it dragon dances and subs, its almost game over for the opponent.

Counters:
Suicune, Milotic, Vaporeon, all with HP Electric. Starmie, Celebi, Tangrowth. Or anything defensive such as Jirachi with Thunderbolt.

mosers15
05-28-2008, 12:54 AM
wheres the tbolt gyara? lol

Eternal
05-28-2008, 12:59 AM
wheres the tbolt gyara? lol

It fails because of its speed. But, I'll just put it up. For the lulz.

Zak91
05-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Lol @ sleep talking Gyara.

Eternal
05-28-2008, 01:14 AM

You probably never battled one since DD Gyarados is too popular.

Zak91
05-28-2008, 01:21 AM

True, but i think it will phail anyways.

Chrisomar
05-28-2008, 01:21 AM
I've faced it it owns.>_>

Zak91
05-28-2008, 01:26 AM
I dont see the point of it, i mean with 96 ev points on attack and 2 slots already taken by sleep talk and rest leaves waterfall and stoneedge/dragondance, if it has stone edge then it will be too weak to do much damage, sure it will be bulky but it wouldn't hit that hard. And also if it has DD then its just left with one attack.....

Eternal
05-28-2008, 01:30 AM
I dont see the point of it, i mean with 96 ev points on attack and 2 slots already taken by sleep talk and rest leaves waterfall and stoneedge/dragondance, if it has stone edge then it will be too weak to do much damage, sure it will be bulky but it wouldn't hit that hard. And also if it has DD then its just left with one attack.....

Hehe, you need to battle one to understand it's true power.

Zeus
05-28-2008, 01:33 AM

Left with one attack. Hmm, well so does Crocune, Crotomb, or Crolax. So it's not the biggest problem in the world. With support, killing Vaporeon etc..., Crogyara (lol) can make a great use as well.

Also take account that it makes a great Yanmega switch-in already as it is, this set just messes with Yanmega even further.

EDIT: Damn you don't take too much time at all with your Analysis, while I take over an hour to try to make it as perfectly explained as possible. lol this convinced me to explain in a more terse way.

mosers15
05-28-2008, 01:43 AM
zeus...usually the sets get more in depth after people look at them and ask qeustions like zak did

Zeus
05-29-2008, 08:42 PM
zeus...usually the sets get more in depth after people look at them and ask qeustions like zak did

NO U!

coldasice
05-29-2008, 09:45 PM

*note to self* pwn ZAk with resttalking gyara

Zak91
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM

*note to self* pwn ZAk with resttalking gyara

<_<

EDIT: I look forward to it.

XxSalientxX
06-02-2008, 09:11 AM

True, but i think it will phail anyways.LMAO

mosers15
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
lol.....i tried restalk gyara out.....it sucked. But i still think zak will get pwned by it. Lolz

Zak91
06-03-2008, 01:11 PM
lol.....i tried restalk gyara out.....it sucked.

Lol..

mosers15
06-03-2008, 05:33 PM
lolz you didnt read the rest....huh?

soccerforward29
06-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Gyarados@leftovers
adamant
Bulkydos spread
waterfall
substitute
taunt
dragon dance

Phazor comes in after it sees sub and thinks it is safe. Meanwhile Gyara taunts it and has a sub up. If bulky waters are killed and then this is brought in, it rapes.

Also I have a shoddy log I could post showing rest-talk gyara ****.

impostoroak557
06-15-2008, 06:08 AM
Where is specsdos? its the closest thing to perfect this side of bandzam.

Honestly though, it completely owns all the standard gyara counters

Eternal
06-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Where is specsdos? its the closest thing to perfect this side of bandzam.

Honestly though, it completely owns all the standard gyara counters

Tested on Shoddy.

It phails.

Tyranids
06-18-2008, 05:55 AM
What about Choice Specs Ambipom? It has Tbolt iirc...

*back on topic*

Where are you guys seeig ReStalk Gyara? I've still neverseen one...

ekspo
10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I know this is an old topic and all... but you should have flail gyara with liechi berry and stuff.. because it sweeps hard if pulled off.

Strype McClaine
10-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Dive
Icy Wind
Snore
Spite
Uproar
Aqua Tail
Bounce
Iron Head
Outrage
Twister

The signifgant moves it learns, Outrage, possibly Bounce, Iron Head, and Dive.

Even with out stab, outrage seems like a great move for gyra, with a scarf or band.
Bounce - Flying Stabb? Not nessary, but chance of para.
Iron Head - See also Waterfall
Dive - Going from the Ludicolo's example from gen 3, A decent bulky stall set could be pulled off with dive, extra leftovers recovery for telegraphing a hit. IE, same problem with all the two turn moves...but the moves that hide you (dig, fly, bounce, dive) are not with out their merit.

retm
10-12-2008, 07:01 AM
If you were going to Copy+Paste EV Spreads from Smogon, you mine as well just link people there.

Anyway, your set comments are really lacking and give no example on how to use the set. No explanation of EVs. You lack a decent Flail set and the egotism of naming a Gyara set "Eternal Style" when you simply add Substitute is astounding.