PDA

View Full Version : Noctowl Analsysis

Strype McClaine
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/v2dex319.gifhttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/v2dex319.gif

Noctowl – Really sweet hooters.

The Sleepy Killer
Noctowl @Leftovers/Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
Ability: Keen Eye
Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Spe

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Psycho Shift
-Night Shade / Whirlwind / Reflect

Blissey, this is not, but with good special defense and good hp, your best builds will be wallish and tough as nails. As with all sleep talk sets, you have to lucky, but this one, careful as well. Don’t let your self break sleep clause. If you use leftovers, the only status you can pass is sleep, while if you carry one of the orbs….you can actually pull off a double status of sorts. Reflect is for its papery defense stat, whirlwind is to blow away out of turn with sleep talk, and Nightshade is your most reliable form of damage.

Psycho Killer
Noctowl @Leftovers/Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
Ability: Insomnia
Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Spe

-Roost
-Whirlwind / Reflect
-Psycho Shift / Toxic / Hypnosis
-Night Shade

Closer to a pro choice with the bird is this build. Psycho Shift cleans off any nasty status you pick up and insomnia keeps you awake like a Red Bull IV drip. What? You don’t like Psycho shift? Screw you, fine fine, you can put either toxic or hypnosis in its place. I prefer using burn orb with this set to drop your opponent’s physical attack, but this bird is flexible, and it’s your life.

Choice-towl
Noctowl @Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Modest/Timid
6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Speed

-Air Slash
-Hyper Beam/Swift
-Psychic/Shadow Ball/Silver Wind
-Hypnosis/Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Fire/Shadow Ball /Heat Wave - Platinum Move

It’s the obligatory choice sets! Batting first, is Air Slash and Hyper Beam for Stabb…. What? You don’t want to shoop-da-woop? Awwe ittle-baby doesn’t want a move that makes him take a hit like a man? Fine. Swift, its stab, it won’t miss. The last two slots are essentially filler. Hypnosis is great for the scarf sets, but not advisable on a specs birdie. Silver wind is a cute idea, but its just there to take up space and give you options. HP Fire/Ground is for the ever looming fear of steel that scares most choice birds. If you really want to feel special, try adding a life orb and roost on one of the sets, but I wouldn't advise it, nor actually post it as its own set.

Psycho, Reloaded
Noctowl @Leftovers
Calm
252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Spe

-Roost / Whirlwind
-Psych Up
-Aerial Ace / Return
-Hidden Power Fire/Ground / Air Slash /Heat Wave - Platinum Move

You want another? Well have another psycho. This one is does a great job of stealing someone’s set up, and using the two sides of it’s stab to ensure if it just stole a fist full of nasty plot it functions as well as if it stole a swords dance. Whirlwind is advisable to get rid of the dude that just kindly gave you some stats, but roost is good as well, gets you some stats up.

• Ominous Wind
• Zen Headbut
• Uproar
• Heatwave
• Mud Slap
• Twister

Of the moves it now gets, the only thing that is a stand out, is….Heat wave, it's tutor able….and that’s about it. However their were plenty of times that HP Fire is mentioned, and Heat Wave is better than HP fire.

Opinion
I love this bird, always one of my favorite in game dudes, and frankly its pretty fun as a competitive battling dude. It shouldn’t stray far from UU, but I have used it in OU with very very limited success.. It can sponge up special attacks not named Bolt/Beam all day long. Its major fear is powered physical attacks, especially ice shard.
Having Psycho Shift is by far its biggest asset, giving it supreme versatility in status giving-ness and arguably that is its major reason to be used.
Since it is infact a defensive Pokemon, feather dance seems like it has ALOT of potential, but its hard to find room for it on a move set.

Kuja20
08-13-2008, 01:15 PM
*added to contents*

Strype McClaine
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
*added to contents*

I think I exausted every possible option here. I'm not quite to great about talking counters, mainly since I don't use it that much, its damned niche

Spannertastic
08-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Noctowl! haha awesome ^^

i spotted a bit of a mistake... i think

Choice-towl
Noctowl @Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Modest/Timid

There's probably supposed to be some specs there...

Otherwise, thats just awesome.
Noctowl kills things with specs Hyperbeam, no resists

Strype McClaine
08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Noctowl! haha awesome ^^

i spotted a bit of a mistake... i think

Choice-towl
Noctowl @Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Modest/Timid

There's probably supposed to be some specs there...

Otherwise, thats just awesome.
Noctowl kills things with specs Hyperbeam, no resists

Thanks, took care of it. Noctowl shouldnt be trying to be a choice item user, and its a bad idea, but its the best it has got.

The Shadow Projekt
08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Nice job. ^_^ I'll get a link to a game pic before someone snips your balls off over it. (Speaking from experience.)

EDIT: Use this: http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/v2dex319.gif

Strype McClaine
08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Nice job. ^_^ I'll get a link to a game pic before someone snips your balls off over it. (Speaking from experience.)

Thanks, I cant see that immage, but im sure its a stable link...damned work blockers...oh well, last day, what are they going to do to me?

Went for the anamei pick, becasue it was a nice pair of hooters.

The Shadow Projekt
08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
[quote="The Shadow Projekt":1u0mwx0d]Nice job. ^_^ I'll get a link to a game pic before someone snips your balls off over it. (Speaking from experience.)

Thanks, I cant see that immage, but im sure its a stable link...damned work blockers...oh well, last day, what are they going to do to me?

Went for the anamei pick, becasue it was a nice pair of hooters.[/quote:1u0mwx0d]

Wow that turned out really f*&^ing small. -____- Maybe we will get some help from chrisomar or something.

Spannertastic
08-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I now know why I laughed when I read hooter!

can you put the picture up twice, just for funnies?

Blackout
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Nice job Strype! I like it ^_^

The Shadow Projekt
08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Lulz at double pic.

Kuja20
08-13-2008, 10:29 PM
OMG IM SEEING DOUBLE AAARRRGGGHHH RUN!

Spannertastic
08-14-2008, 04:42 AM
Those hooters made my day ^^