PDA

View Full Version : Ampharos Analysis

Spannertastic
08-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Ampharos
The lighthouse pokemon that evolved from a sheep ...somehow.

http://www.pokebip.com/pokedex/images/sugimori/181.png

Standard Sub-Puncher
Ampharos@Leftovers
Static
Quiet (+SpA, -Spe)
EV's: 40Hp / 252SpA / 216Att

-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Grass/Ice/Ground

Now this is pretty much the best that this woolless sheep can do, and in UU he does it pretty well. It's fairly basic, you come in on something you know you can handle, like a water type, sub on the switch and try yo masacre whatever comes in with a fairly large coverage. The choice of Hidden Power comes down purely to preferance and what you want to counter.
Ice is for Altaria, Flygon, Torterra and other grass/poison types wanting to take the Tbolt or Focus Punch (in OU you can "counter" Gliscor and the dragons with HP ice too).
Grass is for Quagsire, Wiscash and Gastrodon who would otherwise shrug off your attacks (Swampert also deserves a mention in OU).
Ground is for fire and steel types like Steelix and Camerupt who would also pose a big threat (Steelix may be weak to fighting but with such a massive defence Focus Punch doesn't bother him).

Choice Specs!!
Amparos@Choice Specs
Static
Modest (+SpA, -Att)
EV's: 252Hp / 252SpA / 4Def

-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Grass
-Signal Beam
-Focus Blast

Ampharos is slow as ****, but nothing resists this set apart from Shedinja and Giratina. It's pretty novelty but can hit really hard and your opponent will definitely not be expecting it.
Thunderbolt for stab, Signal Beam for Grass types, HP Grass for grounds and Focus Blast for steels like Magneton.
This was just the set I found worked the best but The Hidden power type is up to you. Also, HyperBeam is available if you're really excited.

Counter/Support
Ampharos@Leftovers
Static
Bold (+Def, -Att)
EV's: 252Hp, 40Def, 216SpA

-Counter
-Thunderbolt
-Light Screen
-Thunder Wave/Toxic/Hidden Power

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here but this is an interesting option. Counter one of those annoying Earthquakes that come your way (which you could survive with the Bold nature and a few EV's) and then annoy your opponent. Light Screen is for the times when Counter is useless, Tbolt is just there for damage and the last slot is for whatever you want be it more coverage or some status fun.

Opinion:

Amparos is pretty overlooked but he has some interesting options like sub-punch with bolt/beam and counter. Not to mention his unpredictability which can really cost your opponent.

Counters:

If you know an Ampharos' moveset then it is easy enough to bring something powerful in and destroy it without too much trouble. as listed in the first set the Pokemon for each Hidden Power are a counter in the absence of that hiddem power.

Statigar
08-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Nice work Spannertastic. As im not a battling professional, thats all i can say xD

Kuja20
08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
*adds to cntents page* :)

Strype McClaine
08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
While not a option worth takeing, I think a Scarf/Band set might be worth noteing, to function a little like a mixed (moves 1-3, and T-bolt)

Spannertastic
08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
oh alright, that could work.
i'll have to do some calcs and stuff for the ev spread...
a tpunch band set would be hilarious, with bodyslam for parahax, focus punch and something... No one in their right mind would use it though so is it really worth putting on an analysis? the last 2 sets i have on there are stupid enough as it is.