PDA

View Full Version : Jirachi Analysis

Spannertastic
08-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Jirachi
The wish Pokemon that wished itself a massive movepool.

http://www.pokebip.com/pokedex/images/sugimori/385.png

Sub-Calm Mind Jirachi
Jirachi@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Timid (+Spe, -Att)
EV's: 252Hp / 80SpA / 176Spe

-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Flash Cannon
-Thunder/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fighting

Jirachi has the excellent option of 101 subs, the bane of 252/252 bold Blissey's existence. The idea is to sub up, take a seismic toss without breaking the sub, and proceed to Calm mind on your free turn. Rinse and repeat until you have 6 calm minds up and proceed to destroy the pink blob with +6 stab psychics.
That being said, Blissey is known to run more SpD EV's these days just for this reason, so watch out.
The last slot is your choice. Thunder provides power and 60% paralyse rate at the cost of accuracy. Thunderbolt provides power and accuracy with a handy 30% paralyse rate. Hidden Power Fighting makes for excellent coverage at the cost of power but is the only real answer to Tyranitar especially with its Sandstorm boosting its Special Defence.

Wish-passing Jirachi
Jirachi@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
EV's: 240 HP / 56 Atk / 76 Def / 136 Spe

-U-turn
-Wish
-Zen Headbutt
-Reflect/Light Screen/Thunder

This little guy is one of the best wish-passes the game can offer. The idea here is to set up a wish and U-turn out to whoever you want to heal. It also helps to escape a Dugtrio trying to trap you with Earthquake and Shut down those annoying Sub-seeders by breaking subs as you switch in a counter.
Zen Headbutt is for Heracross and the handy serene grace flinch hax.
The last slot is for team support. Reflect also helps Jirachi take Earthquakes better as Lightscreen helps with Flamethrowers. Thunder is great for paraflinching in conjunction with Zen Headbutt and also provides coverage against Gyarados and Skarmory.
The EVs listed allow Jirachi to survive an Earthquake from Adamant Dugtrio and has the possibility of 2HKOing with U-turn. Jirachi will hit 270 Speed, ensuring he can outrun Adamant Heracross, who will fail to OHKO with his CB Close Combat. Choice Scarf versions, while faster than Jirachi are unlikely to 2HKO (44–52% damage from either Close Combat or Megahorn). *copied from smogon*

Calmly Destroying Stuff
Jirachi@Leftovers/Expert Belt
Serene Grace
Timid (+Spe, -Att)
EV's: 80HP / 252SpA / 176Spe

-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Grass Knot
-Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fire

Calm Mind set designed to work more like a sweeper than the other Calm Mind set and therefore deserves it's own spot. The notable addition to this set as opposed to the other is Grass Knot which works wonders on the likes of bulky waters and grounds coming in to take advantage of Jirachi's Ground weakness (Swampert, Hippowdon, Donphan, Milotic etc) and can KO most after a Calm Mind.
Psychic will obviously be your main form of damage here and Serene Grace making it a 20% chance for a Special Defence drop is rather nice.
The last slot goes mainly to taking care of our inability to hit steels but Thunderbolt can be very useful in taking down the massive threat that is Gyarados.

Wall-breakachi (Platinum)
Jirachi@Expert Belt
Serene Grace
Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
Ev's: 252Atk / 4SpA / 252Spe

-Iron Head
-Fire Punch
-Ice Punch
-Grass Knot/Thunderbolt

I borrowed this from Smogon because it looked like a really cool set to try, but difficult to pull off. The main advantage this set has over all others is the surprise factor. Bring him in on something you can handle and unleash a physical attack on it then hope for a choice item prediction from your opponent. They then send in something like Swampy, Skarm, Gyarados or Mence to set up and you act accordingly.
Iron Head is amazing. 60% flinch and 80bp + STAB coming off a 100 base attack is just nice and can allow for some quite easy late game sweeping. The rest are for covering your least favorite walls.
Don't be fooled into thinking you can have either T-bolt or Grass Knot, you can run with any combo of the last four moves in accordance with what your team needs.

Trick-Scarf Anti-lead Rachi (Platinum)
Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EV's: 80HP / 252Atk / 176Spe

-Iron Head
-Trick
-Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave
-U-turn

Yep, another one. Jirachi gets Trick in Platinum and looking at it this set was pretty obvious. Iron Head sorts out common leads like Aerodactyl and Azelf in 2 hits of which have a 60% flinch rate, so most of the time they won't be doing anything. Trick is for slower leads like Tyranitar, Hippowdon and Bronzong and will effectively shut them down for the rest of the fight. U-turn is obviously for scouting and offers some nice Magnezone protection. Once you have Tricked away your Choice Scarf you have the chance to offer some Utility like your own Stealth Rocks, some T-Wave or even a wish if you plan on using this guy's Trick later in the game.

Choice Specs Jirachi
Jirachi@Choice Specs
Serene Grace
Timid (+Spe, -Att)

-Psychic
-Hidden Power Fighting/Ground/Fire
-Thunder/Thunderbolt
-Icy Wind/U-turn/Water Pulse

Jirachi certainly has the stats to pull off a Specs set. The choice for attacks is again for Accuracy or power and the choice to hit certain threats. The choice of Hidden Power is up to you, Fighting hits Weavile and Tyranitar very hard but Ground is what you want to destroy Heatran and put the hurt on Metagross. Fire Is for Bronzong and Careful Scizor wanting to wall you with Light Screen.
The last slot is mostly filler but Icy Wind is nice for dragons and the speed drop, U-turn for scouting and Water Pulse for added coverage and a handy 40% confusion.
The speed EV's are for outspeeding +nature base 90's like Porygon-Z and Lucario.

Bandit Rachi (Platinum)
Jirachi@Choice Band
Serene Grace
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EV's: 80 HP/ 252Att / 176Spe

-Iron Head
-Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Zen Headbutt
-Fire Punch/Thunderpunch/Zen Headbutt
-U-turn

Pretty much just the above set but in physical form (That doesn't mean Specs Jirachi is a ghost though).
Iron Head is for STAB 80bp asskickin and 60% flinch Haxism plus it smashes TTar in the face. Ice/Fire Punch is for Dragon/Steel coverage and the last slot is for some scouting and Celebi/Latias destruction. Zen Headbutt is a worthy option for secondary STAB and an answer to Machamp, Thunderpunch is there for the ever-present Gyarados threat.
I like this set a lot and can be pretty amazing with a Scarf as well for getting the jump on those speedy pokes, if that's how you like it.

Doom Desire Jirachi
Jirachi@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Bold (+Def, -Att)
EV's: 252HP / 224Def / 32Spe

-Doom Desire
-Wish
-Protect/Substitute
-Psychic

This is a set picked off Smogon again. It's a bit niche but as only Jirachi gets Doom Desire it really deserves a mention. The idea is to Doom Desire, Wish, Protect and then get healed and do massive damage on the next turn. Psychic is there for finishing off foes but coverage isn't needed due to Doom Desire being essentially typeless.
It would be best to get the Doom Desire off on something with low Special Defence because whatever comes in to take it will take damage determined by the Special Defence of the first Pokemon regardless of what comes in to take it.

Rain Dancing Jirachi
Jirachi@Damp Rock
Serene Grace
Bold (+Def, -Att)
EV's: 252HP / 80Def / 176SpD

-Rain Dance
-Thunder
-Water Pulse/U-turn/Psychic
-Wish

Rain Dance Works surprisingly well for Jirachi. It effectively cancels it's fire weakness, creates 100% accurate 60% paralyse Thunders and adds a stab boost to Water Pulse that carries a 40% confuse rate allowing for possible para-fusion ultra-hax fun times. Wish is there for the abundance of Life-Orb uses in Rain-Dance teams and gives them some more longevity. Wish is what grants U-turn a spot on the set allowing you to scout any switch's as you pass the wish. Psychic is just there for some stab if you want some.

Choice Scarf Jirachi
Jirachi@Choice Scarf
Serene Grace
Timid (+Spe, -Att) / Modest (+SpA, -Att)

-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice/Ground
-Grass Knot/U-turn

You guessed it, another Smogon rip-off. I don't care to much for this set as you can use other Pokemon in this way far better. Jirachi is the ultimate in versatility though so this is definitely an option.
It's mainly used as a counter for various threat in the metagame like a lot of scarf users.
Psychic is for stab damage and taking care of Heracross, Roserade and Gengar.
Thunderbolt is for Gyarados (outspeeds after one Dragon Dance) mainly but also hits the likes of Staraptor and his flying friends.
The hidden Power is for the choice between taking out Dragons or Magnezone and Heatran.
Grass Knot takes care of Hippowdon and Swampert but U-turn is great for scouting switch-ins early on in battle.

Bulky Attacking Wish-Passing Jirachi (Platinum)
Jirachi@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Adamant (+Att, -SpA)
EV's: 252HP / 252Att / 4Def

-U-turn
-Wish
-Drain Punch
-Iron Head/Arial Ace

This was a set I made to demonstrate the fact that you can do almost anything with this little guy if you have a little imagination. With the added attack you can actually put a pretty big dent in things as you U-turn wishes to things. Drain Punch is really fun with the high attack as you can heal pretty massive damage back, especially after smashing a Tyranitar in the face.
The choice between Iron Head and Areal Ace is for determining a OHKO on Heracross or not. Iron Head gets stab and a bit more damage against other things but Areal Ace is needed to guarantee the KO on Heracross (still can't be called a Heracross counter, even with Aerial Ace though).

Mixed Countering Jirachi?
Jirachi@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Nature: Quiet
EV's: 240 HP / 168 Atk / 100 SpA

-Thunderbolt
-Ice Punch
-Drain Punch/U-Turn
-Body Slam

This set takes advantage of crippling Jirachi's most common switch ins; Heatran, Tyranitar, and Garchomp. None of those three like being paralyzed, which is why your primary attack is Body Slam. If you do get a paralysis, then you retaliate with whichever move seems more necessary. This Jirachi is not meant to use Wish, so don't bother with it. U-turn is for scouting while Drain Punch destroys Tyranitar and will most likely fully heal you, adding some more survivability. if you want you can swap to an Adamant nature and use Thunderpunch over T-bolt for similar results.
~Set courtesy of Faint (don't complain to me about it :P)

Opinion
Jirachi is an excellent Pokemon. It takes no sandstorm damage, minimal Stealth Rock damage and has a plethora of useful resistances not to mention its amazing movepool. I think there would be at least another 5 sets i could mention but they would just be mixtures of sets I've said already.

Counters
Pretty much the best way to deal with Jirachi is to smack it about with powerful Earthquakes and Fire moves. Heatrans with Fireblast's pose a threat without HP ground/fighting, Drain Punch or Water Pulse. Tyranitar's CB or DD Earthquake is going to massacre jirachi unless it can hit back with a fighting attack or specs Grass Knot.

Statigar
08-15-2008, 08:44 AM
:O Wow. You've probably got every combination on there :O 5 star analysis, well done!

Spannertastic
08-15-2008, 08:45 AM
:O Wow. You've probably got every combination on there :O 5 star analysis, well done!
Lol, that crazy part is that there are more. Strype will probably come along and name 7 sets i've missed or something ^_^

ikke
08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Lol, that crazy part is that there are more. Strype will probably come along and name 7 sets i've missed or something ^_^
I can give you one already ^_^
mixed scarfset

Spannertastic
08-15-2008, 10:32 AM
lol, and the benefit of a mixed scarf set would be...?

Strype McClaine
08-15-2008, 02:07 PM
lol, and the benefit of a mixed scarf set would be...?

Hitting from both sides of the attacking spectrum, better for breaking down walls.

A mixed set or two would be awesome in general.

Other than that....
you had some HUGE stones to take on a dude like Jirachi, a literal king of versatility, with a PERFECT move pool of almost every stinking thing you could want. And then wish. There are a few more sets that could be invented with our little superstar, but not to many.

A few superstar moves you didn't mention, charge beam, and icy wind, both utility moves with a touch of damage that rounds it out.

Since someone said something about me adding seven sets...lets try...

Hai guies, I celebi, lolololol
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Your Choice?
252 Hp / .......
- Thunder Wave / Body Slam / Thunder
- Reflect
- Wish
- Grass Knot / Psychic / Energy Ball / Zen Headbut

If only rachi also had leach seed <3....uh..umn....yeah...

Maybe something like....

Pumped
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Naive
252 HP / 252 Speed

- Psych Up
- Substitute / Wish / Protect
- Zen Headbut / Body Slam
- Grass Knott / Energy Ball / Thunder / Thunder Bolt / Flash Cannon / Shadow Ball...

One Special and one Physical move to share the love of the stolen booosts, no matter what you steal.

Edit: I had to add one more, essentially the togekisss knock off.

Togekiss
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Impish
252 HP / 6 S.Def / 252 Def
- Body Slam / Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Zen Headbut
- Calm Mind / Substitute / Protect / U-turn / Filler Support Move

This is pretty obvious, but IMHO completely outclassed by the Calm rachi.

Jirachi gets its name from желать zhelatʹ, which is Russian for "to desire". It could also be from the Japanese word 幸 sachi, which means wish, happiness, or fortune.
Jirachi, it is what ever you desire, and it will bring you happiness and fortune.

Spannertastic
08-15-2008, 02:26 PM
Lol, I thought of adding mixed sets but really, the ideas are all there.
We shouldn't list every single possible set that's ever going to be... ever.
That just takes the fun out of making your own custom sets.

I'll put in a mixed one if it's really wanted though. What do you think?

Faint
08-20-2008, 12:15 AM
This is a cool set I've used before. Check it out.

Jirachi@Leftovers
Nature: Quiet
EV's: 88 HP / 164 Atk / 160 Def / 96 SpA
~Thunderbolt
~Ice Punch
~U-Turn
~Body Slam

This set takes advantage of crippling Jirachi's most common switch ins; Heatran, Tyranitar, and Garchomp. None of those three like being paralyzed, which is why your primary attack is Body Slam. If you do get a paralysis, then you retaliate with whichever move seems more necessary. This Jirachi is not meant to use Wish, so don't bother with it.

Faint
08-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Posted it twice for some odd reason.

Spannertastic
08-20-2008, 12:48 AM
That looks good to me ^_^

I'll just C/P it right in there, people really want a mixed set anyway

i might change the defensive EV's to 248 in HP so it can take the hits from heatran without being molested in the face
plus i'd recommend drain punch over u-turn to beat the **** out of Tyranitar that bit more than U-turn would, plus it adds some survivability.

Strype McClaine
08-20-2008, 12:58 AM
That looks good to me ^_^

I'll just C/P it right in there, people really want a mixed set anyway

i might change the defensive EV's to 248 in HP so it can take the hits from heatran without being molested in the face
plus i'd recommend drain punch over u-turn to beat the **** out of Tyranitar that bit more than U-turn would, plus it adds some survivability.

Rachi neads at least one recover move at all times.

Spannertastic
08-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Rachi neads at least one recover move at all times.

How about adding Drain Punch? It would be the best healing possible if you hit ttar with it.

mosers15
08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
drain punch cosmic power shadow ball charge beam

meh

Spannertastic
08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
drain punch cosmic power shadow ball charge beam

meh

It'd need wish, but otherwise it's a good idea. Do i have a cosmic power set?

I was thinking something like Wish, Cosmic Power, Charge Beam, Psychic

Strype McClaine
08-21-2008, 11:49 PM
NEW JIRACHI SET!!!
Any decent Nature
Any decent IV spread

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

This jirarichi does what ever <blank> does, but even better! First <move> covers most your problems, <move> takes care of <blank> <blank> and <blank>. <move> handles a bit of your utility issues, and <move> is just to round out your set. Just carefullest of flamethrowers and earthquakes and you'll be fine.

ikke
08-22-2008, 05:16 AM
NEW JIRACHI SET!!!
Any decent Nature
Any decent IV spread

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

This jirarichi does what ever <blank> does, but even better! First <move> covers most your problems, <move> takes care of <blank> <blank> and <blank>. <move> handles a bit of your utility issues, and <move> is just to round out your set. Just carefullest of flamethrowers and earthquakes and you'll be fine.
true xD

Spannertastic
08-22-2008, 06:43 AM
NEW JIRACHI SET!!!
Any decent Nature
Any decent IV spread

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Probly should add that, it looks good.

Statigar
08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
lol Mosers xD. Anyway, this analysis looks more than ready now =]

soccerforward29
08-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Needs an offensive cm set, and an ubers set.

ikke
08-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Needs an offensive cm set, and an ubers set.NEW JIRACHI SET!!!
Any decent Nature
Any decent IV spread

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

that one works great in both ubers and theother thing you said

Spannertastic
08-22-2008, 07:56 PM
NEW JIRACHI SET!!!
Any decent Nature
Any decent IV spread

- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

that one works great in both ubers and theother thing you said

QFT, lol

Spannertastic
05-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Updated for Platinum... *wipes brow*

Just so you know, Jirachi can do literally everything, take off species clause and he'd be the only pokemon ever needed.

EDIT: Added Trick-Scarf *pant*

PLDH-MajeSan
10-09-2009, 10:44 PM
New set suggestion.

ShucaMixRachi--AKA Set Up Assassin
Jirachi@Shuca Berry
Serious, Serene Grace
76 HP/ 208 Attack/ 44 Defense/ 76 SpAtk/ 108 Speed
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Punch
~ Fire Punch
~ Grass Knot

Yes, I am seriously suggesting a set with a universally Neutral nature. Jirachi's 100 across the board stats give it just the right bulk, offense, and speed to make this set work. Negatively affecting any offensive stat makes it impossible to guarantee the OHKO and 2HKOs this set needs, and reducing its defensive stats opens it up to KOs that it cannot allow if it is to KO the Pokemon it is designed to KO, most notably CM Latias and Adamant LO Salamence.

This set's purpose is to stop sweeps. It can generally only do this once, but it does it with sinister effectiveness. The EVs guarantee that +1 Adamant LO Salamence will not KO with Earthquake, and that is the most powerful attack Jirachi will encounter while doing its job. The attack EVs guarantee OHKOs of all Salamence, Gyarados, Scizor, Swampert, and Flygon, ASSUMING STEALTH ROCK IS UP. Latias is also universally 2HKO'd if Stealth Rock is present. Leftovers will not prevent these KOs. It is also worth mentioning that all non-banded Swampert fail to 2HKO this set with Earthquake, and the 0 Atk Swampert might not even 3HKO.

The 108 Speed EVs allow Jirachi to outspeed (obviously) all neutral natured base 100s with or less than 100 EVs in speed, all non-naive Heatran, and all unboosted Metagross. Jirachi can at least 3HKO all Metagross with Fire Punch. However, this set is not just limited to the moves above. Jirachi's incredible movepool allow it to revenge kill or KO almost anything you could want, utilizing various Hidden Powers, Iron Head, Flash Cannon, and the like. It is an unbelievably versatile set capable of crushing much of the common offensive metagame that is not aware of it.