PDA

View Full Version : Banette Analysis

Spannertastic
08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Banette
The Pokemon Game Freak forgot to give an evolution to. Probably because it tried to steal their wallet.

http://www.pokebip.com/pokedex/images/sugimori/354.png

When Banette the Bandit Bands it
Banette@Choice Band
Frisk
Adamant (+Att, -SpA)
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Spe

-Shadow Sneak
-Sucker Punch/Pursuit
-Return
-Trick/Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp

115 base attack is nothing to snigger at. And neither is a STAB, Choice Banded Shadow Sneak. Pursuit over Sucker Punch is up to what kind of predicting you want to do and whether you want to be trapping Pokemon that would want to switch out. An example of some of these are Rotom and Froslass who don't like taking Beefy Shadow Sneaks. Return is so you can actually hit incoming Dark types and you can actually do a fair for of damage to the more frail ones like Absol, Sharpedo and Cacturne. Trick is a fun option in the last slot due to Frisk but the other two moves can be more reliable. This is due to you being able to get outpredicted into Tricking a fellow Choice Bander that switches in.

Support Banette
Banette@Focus Sash/Leftovers
Frisk/Insomnia
Adamant (+Att, -SpA)
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Spe

-Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
-Knock Off
-Will-o-Wisp
-Destiny Bond/Thunder Wave

This set showcases the one thing that sets it apart from all the other ghosts in UU: Knock Off. And it can be quite effective.
Will-o-Wisp is for crippling physical attackers, Thunder Wave is the same but for Pokemon with speed. Destiny Bond has some merit but is difficulf to work with Banette's low speed and although it is tempting, shouldn't be used with Thunder Wave because it then has a 50% chance of being ineffective and if that is indeed the case the surprise is gone and Destiny Bond is useless.

Calm Mind and some Trickery
Banette@Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Frisk
Timid (+Spe, =Att)
EV's: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

-Trick
-Calm Mind
-Hidden Power Fighting
-Shadow Ball

Trick your Choice item onto something that doesn't want it and then attempt a Calm Mind sweep. Hidden Power Fighting and Shadow Ball provide Banette with the best coverage it's going to get. Timid nature and max speed is to to try to get this thing to attack first and keep up a sweep.

Snatch leading Banette
Banette@Focus Sash
Frisk
Jolly (+Spe, SpA)
EV's: 56 Att / 200 SpA / 252 Spe

-Snatch
-Knock Off/Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp
-Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
-Sucker Punch/Return

I'm not about to bet this things effectiveness any time soon but it does have some good points. Lead off with this guy and you can immediately scout your opponents lead, then proceed to Snatch a boost if you don't see a choice item and have some good prediction skills or cripple the other Pokemon as you hang on with your Focus Sash. This is very novelty and I mainly just put it here because it's yet another use for the cool Frisk ability.

EV's
With 252 HP Banette can actually hang around for a bit and with max attack it can certainly do some damage in the process. You can go for a speedier version of the support set with a plus speed nature and 252 speed EV's if you want more chance of getting off a Destiny Bond.

Opinion
I have to say Banette is fun. Frisk is very cool and can give away a lot of what your opponent wants to do, making prediction that little bit easier. The 115 base attack is nice but, when paired with his other abysmal stats, he's not winning any awards. Use Banette if you feel like having a laugh and he can surprise you with some nice results.

Counters
Just outpredict him. Something fast that can kill with an unboosted attack (incase you get a scarf before you attack) can make short work of Banette just watch for sash's and status moves.

Strype McClaine
08-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Bannette is a way cool dude, seriously needing a evolution, your right...and that 115 base attack is pretty damned bold just flat out their.

The only problem I see with him, is that he got the wrong pokemon's move pool, he has every support option under the sun, with super limited attacking move, I mean, return is a good idea on it, if that says anything.

I ran a set similar to the support one, as absolute disruption to their tempo sort of poke, conveniently named, Disruption.

Just off the top of my head

Adamant @Focus Sash
- Shadow Claw
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Destiny Bond

My exact EV spread, I cant remember to save my life, but essentially, that's it. The goal was to get if possible one kill no matter what with it. No real coverage, just t-waveing and d-bonding. If you got lucky with it, you might watch them switch in a support dude, knock it off, and t-wave it too.

mosers15
08-17-2008, 02:58 PM
i enjoy your analysis spanner dude

also i used something extremely similiar to strype

Spannertastic
08-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Bannette is a way cool dude, seriously needing a evolution, your right...and that 115 base attack is pretty damned bold just flat out their.

The only problem I see with him, is that he got the wrong pokemon's move pool, he has every support option under the sun, with super limited attacking move, I mean, return is a good idea on it, if that says anything.

I ran a set similar to the support one, as absolute disruption to their tempo sort of poke, conveniently named, Disruption.

Just off the top of my head

Adamant @Focus Sash
- Shadow Claw
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Destiny Bond

My exact EV spread, I cant remember to save my life, but essentially, that's it. The goal was to get if possible one kill no matter what with it. No real coverage, just t-waveing and d-bonding. If you got lucky with it, you might watch them switch in a support dude, knock it off, and t-wave it too.

That option is addressed in the support set. I've said that it's too risky.
Maybe i should add it though... it's just that with D-bond's ****** PP you're easily stalled out once someone finds out you have it. And if they're going to be paralysed 50% of the time it's just not a worthy risk to take.

If it worked well for you though, maybe I should add it. The recipe is pretty much there in my supporter set though.

Strype McClaine
08-18-2008, 03:17 PM
When you do things like that, you start to play mind games, if possible, if you get the para off quick, you can D-bond with a sash to show them the d-bond, and then they assume no sash, letting them set up while you re-cripple it.

While It can be a total vapid waste of a move set, I often find, I can get more support, knock offs, t-waves, with it, even if after I have shown them the d-bond.