PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts about Darkrai. It should be Uber.

itachi owns 109
09-08-2008, 01:27 AM
I am posting here and not in Farmer's topic because this is a very long read, so please I only want logical and intelligent people to post here to discuss DARKRAI ONLY. Pointing out any mistakes that I may have made in my grammar is also fail, because this is the internet and grammar doesn't matter. I'm only using slightly improved grammar because I want my point to be read easily. Please to keep in mind that I'm actually being serious here, unlike my normal self, and that this is actually pretty long.

My points:

Bashing half of the supposed "Darkrai Counters"
Pointing out that tbolt and thunder are moves that Darkrai can actually use..
Overcentralizing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all let me define what a counter is, a counter is something that can repeatedly switch into (x) poke and present an immediate threat to (x) poke.

Can we assume that Darkrai's speed and 80% accuracy will allow him to cause instant sleep inducing, and then allows a sub to be set up. Therefore, whatever is switched in will be slept, and a sub will be set up. Thus, a pokemon that can switch in and present an immediate threat is somewhat out of the question.

Ignoring the fact that Darkrai has induced sleep and already inflicted damage upon the sleep absorber..

Spiritomb- What? I suppose it's hypnosis or willowisp will hit right through the sub that Darkrai set up. And i suppose it's shadow balls and dark pulses will do massive damage to Darkrai as well. Oh wait, hidden power fighting just completely dominates Darkrai. It's nearly a 3hko. How could i forget.

Bronzong- Can not take repeated battering from dark pulses. This is like saying a forry can wall a Heracross. Bronzong's lack of instant recover can not make him a decent counter. (It's also 2hkoed by a max sp. atk Dark pulse, bronzong with max sp def is also considered in the calcs)

Sleep talking heatran- okay.. most sets are sub punchers. Either that or focus blasters.. either way it doesnt' end so well for Heatran. And that's assuming the turn you use sleep talk, you won't hit rest or wake up.

ST hera- unless it is scarf and someone's dumb enough to let Darkrai stay in, it's not a counter. If it's band, then darkrai just sets up a sub and that's the end of it. It also can't take repeated switch in's to t-bolt.

Scizor- This I admit Scizor can do something against Darkrai. Resistance to dark pulse and being able to roost off t-bolts and focus punches.. however that would mean everyone would have to bring in a Scizor just to counter Darkai, and that is overcentralizing the metagame if everyone must include Scizor in their teams.

other stuff

Jirachi, Metagross, Hitmontop, Togekiss, Milotic, machamp, swampert

None of these pokes can switch into repeated batterings against dark pulse. Togekiss, Milotic, and Hitmontop, machamp can not pose an immediate threat to Darkrai, or any at all for that matter. Life orbed 252 sp atk t bolt will 2hko the mentioned pokes, while darkpulse will 2hko meta and swampert. Jirachi is the only thing that can do somethin against Darkrai...

Notice how only 2 pokes can do somethin against Darkrai: Jirachi and Scizor. What would happen if someone was smart enough to use Magnezone. Not only that, but everyone would have to carry a Scizor or Jirachi in order to defend themselves against Darkrai.

Also the fact that Darkrai will put at LEAST one poke out of business is reason enough that he should be in ubers. If taking out a poke requires a sacrifice of something else, then it is Uber.

i am cool
09-08-2008, 07:54 PM
i read all of that, and it's not long dude, i read longer and made longer, but besides that, i will proove that u wrrooong.

The only way to consider something to be uber is because it overcentralises, overcentralisation come's from the fact that this poke has no decent switch in's, it can almost always guarentee a ko per match, and is almost impossible to take down, if deoxys a was ever moved to ou then every team will have to carry priority move's, which is the only way to save pokes from deoxys, cause even those steels or spirtom, are 2hkoed or ohkoed by the appropriate attack, this is just an example no overcentralization and how metagame overcentralization has to be avoided at all costs.

Now, for darkrai, i fail to understand how it doesn't have a sure fire counter, have you forgoten about bulky metagross? or scizor? you are saying that lo darkrai behind a sub is indestrucible, while, after a sub it's at 75% health, then after using a move and taking ss damage, it's at 49% health, it only has 4 turns to live, it might cause some destuction on your team but if you have a counter it won't.

As for making a team carry a poke to counter it, well, exactly, look at it's base spe stat, 120, a very good number but not enough, darkrai is the most easiest poke to revenge kill, garchomp freely revenge kills darkrai, so does infernape since it survives anything darky can throw at it, heracross, ah heracross, scarf hera rapes **** out of it, i don't care if it's behind a million subs, it can not really do anything to hera, even t bolt doesn't hurt even after the defence drops, jirashi can switch in, u turn, breaking the sub, and switching into the appropriate counter, metagross come's in, bullet punches, then after that, it take's neglectable damage, and then the second bp ko's darkrai thanks to lo, or even ss if that's in play. So basically it does have what u call "counters".

As for guarenting a ko per match, isn't that what all ou pokemon do? exactly placing them in that tier, if arceus was allowed in ou then it will basically guarentee a ko per match, but the same can not be said about darkrai, if a team is designed to counter it, then it suddenly did not guarentte a ko per match, making the arguement that it does, pointless, but as for arceus, who exactly other than giratina and lugia, like's to take a stab lo boosted sded extreem speed coming off of a 120 base atk stat? nothing, the point of a team designed to counter darkrai isn't meaning that it overcentralises enough to create such team, it's just an example.

Longer than your post....

itachi owns 109
09-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Darkrai has no decent switch ins, the fact that he induces sleep and damage to anything that switches in is enough to prove my point.

My point still remains that after it puts something to sleep, you still have to revenge kill it. You even said so yourself, and that's considering someone's dumb enough to let Darkrai be revenge killed. A max attack Dark pulse on Metagross seriously leaves it dented, unless you completely make it bulky, in which case bullet punch will not kill. You are also assuming that sandstorm is in play. If someone has a Darkrai, then Something has been put to sleep, and you're Metagross has taken considerable damage, and all that's been accomplished is breaking a sub. Even with 4 turns to live, that's enough time to do a bit of hurting...

Also, revenge killing doesn't mean anything, in my opinion it makes my point of view even stronger, because there isn't much you can do except revenge kill it. The fact that you have to let something die first in order to take it out is ridiculous, assuming your opponent stays in to even let Darkrai be revenge killed.

Also,it is very easy to utilize your team around Darkrai to guarentee a sweep. For example, using Magnezone alone removes half of Darkrai's "counters",

As for your last paragraph, I'm not quite sure I understand you...

"as for guarenting a ko per match, isn't that what all ou pokemon do? "

Um, no? All OU pokemon have a very definite counter and do not guarentee any k.o.

"but the same can not be said about darkrai, if a team is designed to counter it,"

What? then wouldn't bringing a team designed to counter it mean that it's over centralizing.. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say, and if i got the wrong meaning out of your last paragraph then sorry.

And nope, my post was longer than urs, I have about 800 more characters than you do. (counted) ^_^

i am cool
09-09-2008, 06:26 AM
dude, couldn't that be said about every sleep inducer? it just crippled a poke, and then the incomer will get hurt, have u forgoten about gengar? it sleeps a poke and the incomer will get hurt, same as every sleep inducer and darkrai for that matter, gengar doesn't have a 100% counter cause even blissey has trouble taking sub punch set's, but sub punch darkrai can't ko a bulky blissey with focus punch even when holding lo, while she could paralyse it, all in all this is theyroeymon, and i believe there should be a testing period for this.

itachi owns 109
09-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, things such as sleep talking zapdos and sleep talking spiritomb still wall it to death. But sure, I believe a testing period is fair.

i am cool
09-11-2008, 08:41 AM
ok, i was wrong, he should have been ou, but not with platinium and him getting np, then he should be banned from ubers, lol :P