PDA

View Full Version : Shaymin-S Analysis

Milos
09-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Well Skymin came out into Shoddy about 30 minutes ago, and i'm gunna be the first to do its analysis. So here goes, its my first analysis so constructive criticism is appreciated.

Shaymin-S

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff293/Sharpstar/shaymin-sky-forme.png

Standard Skymin

Skymin@Life Orb/Yache Berry

252 spA/252 spe/4 hp

-Seed Flare
-Air Slash
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Fire/Ice

Standard Skymin, and its pretty good. Air Slash and Seed Flare obviously there for STAB. Air Slash will get that nice flinch rate thanks to Skymin's high speed. Earth Power to deal with the fire types that try to ruin your fun, most notably Heatran. For the final slot, i chose HP Fire because i saw that a lot of people brought in a steel type to easily counter Skymin when it had HP Ice. Thanks to its great Special Attack, HP Fire easily OHKO's Scizor and 2HKO's Metagross.

Dont Use This Set

Skymin@Life Orb/ Yache Berry

252 atk/252 spe/4 hp

-Seed Bomb
-Swords Dance
-Facade
-Synthesis

This is Physical Skymin. As the name suggests, you should probably never use this set because of Skymin's horrible physical movepool and its mediocre attack. Seed Bomb is its only STAB move, and Swords Dance is basically the only reason this set is up here. Facade is there for coverage and Synthesis is to regain the health you will be losing thanks to Life Orb. But seriously guys, this set will only be good if your opponent is laughing so hard he misclicks...

Grassy Shades

Skymin@Choice Specs

252 spA/252 spe/4 hp

-Leaf Storm/Seed Flare
-HP Fire/ HP Ice
-Earth Power
-Air Slash

Like many choice users, this set requires good prediction skills. Leaf Storm is for that extra kick, but should only be used as a hit and run move. What Hidden Power you use depends on what your team needs to kill the most, and Earth Power and Air Slash are there for coverage and STAB, respectively. With Choice Specs, Skymin reaches a phenomenal 556 Special Attack. So like I said earlier, predict and own something with this set.

Scarfed Turf

Skymin@Choice Scarf
Modest
252 spA/252 spe/4 hp

-Seed Flare/Leaf Storm
-Air Slash
-HP Fire/Ice
-Earth Power

ScarfMin may not hit as hard as the Specs version, but he makes up for it with the power of surprise. Leaf Storm has that bit more power than Seed Flare, but again, it should only be used as a hit and run move. HP Ice kills any Dragons you might run into, as well as being a safer option to beat those Flying types. Without HP Fire however, you are easily walled by Bronzong. Earth Power does the job against Heatran, while Air Slash is used primarily to flinch foes to death.

SubSeeder
Skymin@Leftovers/Yache Berry
Bold/?
252 hp/128 spe/128 spA

-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Toxic
-Seed Flare

Defensive Skymin. Sub, Leech Seed, Toxic if you can, and watch the opponents health slowly slip away. Combined with yache youll be able to take hits as you switch in, or just simply live longer to watch the opponent die. Seed Flare is for STAB and so that you dont get completely walled by Taunters. Skymin's defenses arent that bad, and its 101 hp subs are pretty great.

Other Options

Skymin also learns Psychic, Zen Headbutt, Arometherapy, Energy Ball, Grass Knot, Return, Quick Attack and Grasswhistle, but they arent very good replacements to the sets above. Although Psychic and Zen Headbutt can be useful for taking out those Poison types that counter it (see below) its generally a better option for the other moves mentioned above. Quick Attack can be used to finish off weakened foes, but is generally useless because it is a physical move. Grass Knot and Energy Ball should only be used if the accuracy of Seed Flare and the spA drop of Leaf Storm make you shaky. Arometherapy can be another option if you want a cleric, but Celebi fills this job way better.

Counters

Zapdos and Crobat can shrug off all of Skymin's hits unless it has HP Ice, while Registeel, Regice and Bronzong can do the same unless it has HP Fire. Dragonite cannot be flinched due to inner focus and has 4x resist to Grass. But like Zapdos and Crobat, dies to HP Ice. Blissey walls almost every set, except maybe the SubSeeder one, unless it has Aromatherapy.

Opinion

Shaymin-S, or the preferred nickname, Skymin, is a beast. 127 speed outspeeds Weavile, Alakazam, Azelf and Dugtrio and 120 special attack isnt half bad either. It has a great special movepool, but is limited to physical attacks. Not bad stats overall, and completely outclasses Shaymin Ground form. It would be a shame to see this Uber because it will completely fail there, as opposed to being the monster it is in OU.

My first Analysis, so please dont be harsh. :D

Jared
09-23-2008, 12:24 AM
For SubSeed, Put Air Slash as an option over Toxic.

Carlo1003
09-23-2008, 05:19 AM
add scarfed shaymin- s

Milos
09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
@Carlo

its there.

Yola
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
the Choice specs Set was great! helped me win tons of battles on shoddy!

Vashta
10-04-2008, 09:03 PM
I only skim-read this analysis and it looks good. However, I fail to understand how the popular SubAttacker hasn't been listed here. It's a viable set as most know.

I'm sure that you could include in the "Other Options" section that Substitute ( over HP [Ice / Fire] ) + Leftovers is a viable option, but better paired off with a team which includes a "DualScreener" such as Deoxys-S or Bronzong.

Just a suggestion. Otherwise, good job.

Eternal
10-05-2008, 04:39 AM
Yea add sub attacker set.

I'll give you the info on it if you don't know.

jackched123
10-05-2008, 01:56 PM
That was a good analysis

Vashta
10-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Yea add sub attacker set.

I'll give you the info on it if you don't know.

If I recall correctly, the set goes as follows:

Shaymin-S @ Leftovers
Ability : Serene Grace
EVs : 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature ( + Spe, - Atk )
-- Substitute
-- Air Slash
-- Seed flare
-- Earth Power

I'd add a description, but you and me both know that milos should know it just by looking at it.