PDA

View Full Version : Deoxys-E Analysis

Iconic
09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Before I start, I just wanted to apologize for not posting more analyses. I've just been so busy with school, and I have a life outside Pokemon and school as well. Anyways, I completely redid this analysis, since Chrisomar had sand in his ****** and decided to delete the original. Without further ado, here it is. Enjoy!

Deoxys Speed

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/sugimori/sugimori386s.png

Standard Sweeper:

Deoxys-E @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 178 Att/252 Sp.Att/80 Speed
96 Att/252 Sp.Att/162 Speed
Nature: Hasty (+Speed, - Def.) or Naïve (+Speed, - Sp.Def.)
- Superpower/Brick Break
- Psychic/Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam/Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball

This is the set that you’ll probably see wrecking havoc upon poor, unsuspecting victims now that Deoxys-E is OU. This thing just has ridiculous Speed, and he also possesses a fantastic move pool to take advantage of it. Be careful though, you’ll likely want to bring in Deoxys on a safe switch considering it has terrible defensive stats. Anyways, Superpower is your only physical attack, and it has the potential to do huge amounts of damage due to its awesome coverage. If you use the Attack EVs I listed, you’ll always take down Blissey in 2 hits, even after taking in to account the Attack drop. If find the Attack and Defense drop that comes with Superpower too offsetting, you can opt to go with Brick Break. Keep in mind though, the difference in Base Power between the two attacks is pretty substantial. Now for your STAB, you can choose between the reliable Psychic, or the powerful yet iffy Psycho Boost. Psychic is the preferred attack, namely because you’ll be using it for Super-Effective hits, and therefore it’ll likely OHKO anything weak to it. Ice Beam + Thunderbolt is pretty much standard on anything that can use it nowadays, as everyone seems to love the good ole BoltBeam combo. If you already have enough coverage with Ice Beam and T-Bolt, you can opt to use Shadow Ball in one of those move slots. It’s especially helpful to have Shadow Ball if you’re having trouble with Dusknoir (watch for Shadow Sneak), Azelf or any other of our little Ghost or Psychic friends.

There are a lot of ways you can play with the EV spread of this set. The most important thing to do is max out his rather humble yet acceptable Special Attack. Now you have to play with Deoxys-E’s Attack and Speed. You’ll want enough Attack EVs to 2HKO that fat blob we know as Blissey. But in terms of his Speed, since it’s already ridiculous, there’s no need to max it out, but you should still invest some EVs in it. I’ve devised a couple of spreads you can use, so I’ll outline them for you. The first set lists 80 Speed EVs, which should be the minimum. It puts you at 461, out-speeding Scarfed Moltres, P-Z and Lucario. It’s also nice to note that 461 Speed is 1 point higher than Ninjask’s max speed before a Speed Boost. Special Attack is maxed of course, so then the remaining 178 and dropped into Attack. This gives you 270 Attack, allowing you to easily 2HKO Blissey with Superpower. Anyways, the second set lists 96 Attack EVs, which is the very minimum you should use. This still guarantees Bliss falls in 2 hits, but it’ll barely 2HKO mind you (it MAY not 2HKO after Leftovers, so keep that in mind!). The Speed on this spread is 481, fast enough to beat a Modest Scarfed Gengar (one of the biggest Deoxys-E counters) and Adamant Scarfed Tauros. If you’re having troubles with +Speed natured Scarfed Flygons, you’ll need 208 Speed EVs to be faster than it. However, you’d need to take out some Sp.Att EVs in order to 2HKO Blissey, which you may not be advantageous.

Dual Screen:

Deoxys-E @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP/46 Def /212 Speed
Nature: Timid (+ Speed, -Att)
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Spikes/Stealth Rock

A very odd set indeed at first glance, but it can be extremely useful if you use it correctly. I’m sure you’ve all faced this before, and it’s a total pain. Anyways, the whole point of this lead set is to, obviously, set up both screens and hopefully some entry hazards as well. Which one you set up first is entirely dependant on what your opponent starts off with. If it’s a physical attack, such as Aerodactyl, obviously use Reflect first. If they lead with a Poke of the special variant, like Azelf, set up a nice Light Screen. Taunt stops your foe from setting up with a DD Gyara or phazing you with a Skarmory. In the last slot, you can pick between Stealth Rock or Spikes to set up against your opponent. Keep in mind many Pokemon learn Stealth Rock, and it’s hard to find any legitimate Spiker for that matter. You probably won’t get all 3 layers in before this thing dies, but it’s easy to find an alternative Pokemon to set up some rocks. Light Clay is the item of choice, as it maximizes the potential of the screens you’ll be setting up. You can opt for a Focus Sash, but you’ll likely be able to set up both screens before dying anyways. In terms of EVs, pump 252 into HP to help improve this terrible stat. With 212 Speed, you’ll outrun neutral-natrued Scarfed Poke with base 115 Speed, like Azelf or Starmie, by 1 point. The rest of the EVs are put into Defense, but you can always put this into Sp.Def or evenly split between the two. In addition, you can max out his Speed if you fear other lead Deoxy-E’s and are hoping to win a Speed tie.

Special Sweeper:

Deoxys-E @ Choice Specs
EVs: 96 HP/252 Sp.Att/162 Speed
Nature: Timid (+ Speed, -Att)
- Psychic/Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot/Shadow Ball

This is essentially the Life Orb set without Superpower, but this thing set has the ability to hit hard and hit fast. It’s faster than most Choice Scarf users, while having more power, considering it has Choice Specs equipped. Psycho Boost is quite the potent attack, but you can use Psychic if you’re planning on using this for late-game sweeping. I don’t really need to explain Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, since we all know what those two moves do. Grass Knot is your best bet to deal with Tyranitar, Hippo and Swampert, while Shadow Ball helps out with Psychics. Choose whichever’s best for your team. The EV spread should be the only one you use, and it’s also the same as the first build. However, the remaining 96 EVs are allocated to HP instead of Attack, to try to help Deoxys-E’s pitiful defenses.

Pysical Sweeper:

Deoxys-E @ Choice Band
EVs: 96 HP/252 Attack/162 Speed
Nature: Jolly (+ Speed, -Sp.Att)
- Superpower/Brick Break
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch/Thunder Punch/ExtremeSpeed

Deoxys-E has the same Attack and Special Attack stats, so a Choice Band set is certainly viable. The attacks aren’t nearly as strong as the special build, but you have the element of surprise on your side. Superpower vs. Brick Break is essentially the same problem as Psycho Boost vs. Psychic. Brick Break does have the chance to 2HKO Blissey, but it won’t always after taking into account Leftover’s recovery. However, you’ll probably need to switch after using Brick Break anyways, so that’s a good enough reason to use Superpower. Zen Headbutt is a decent physical STAB, but the 90% accuracy can spell the death of you if you’re unlucky. It’s still your only physical STAB, and Deoxys-E is certainly fast enough to take advantage of the slight flinch-rate. Ice Punch is to deal with Dragons and Grass Pokes, and Ice-type moves are awesome for coverage. If Steels are giving you nightmares (they shouldn’t with Superpower), then Fire Punch is your best bet for the last slot. Thunder Punch can help out against bulky Waters if your having trouble with them. You may wonder why ExtremeSpeed is an option on this set, considering Deoxys-E already has blistering Speed. It allows him to take out priority users, as well as beating the very few things that out-speed him.

Deoxys-D Wannabe:

Deoxys-E @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/72 Sp.Def
Nature: Careful (+ Sp.Def, -Sp.Att)
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Knock Off

You forego Deoxy-E’s ability to pick off weakened Pokemon using his Speed for the chance to set up against entry hazards against your opponent. Anyways, setting up Spikes is always useful, especially considering this set has the potential to get all 3 layers up. Once you’re done with Spikes, proceed to set up with Stealth Rock. Recover is an awesome move for this set because it allows you to instantly heal off any damage that you accumulate. Knock off is kind of filler, and it shouldn’t be used until you’re done setting up, or if you sense a Tricker. This build is very deadly if you opponent mispredicts, as he might have to face the obstacle of having 37.5% or more HP sapped with every switch. The EVs make Deoxys-E as bulky as possible, maximizing his HP and evenly putting both his Defense and Special Defense at 261. Even without any Speed EVs, 396 Speed is nothing to scuff at, allowing you to outspeed the vast majority of threads found in the OU metagame.

Other Options:

Considering Deoxys-E gets all the other moves from his other formes, there are so many alternative options for him. The one set that could work that I did not list is a ToxicStalling set, but it’s hard to pull off with his bad defenses. Cosmic Power is certainly feasible, with instant recovery and blazing Speed setting Deoxys-E apart from other Pokes, but he has lackluster defenses as mentioned. He learns a ton of other stat-boosting moves as well, such as Iron Defense and Amnesia, but there’s limited use with them. You could also try your luck with a Calm Mind set, but you’ll likely have trouble setting up without taking a huge amount of damage. A Sub-Punching set could also work if you want to Sub down to a Petaya Berry boost or whatnot. A Focus Sash/Counter/Mirror Coat set could also nap a surprise KO, but there are better ways to take advantage of Deoxy-E’s attacking prowess. Really, he has a ton of other options, but not many of them are feasible with him.

Opinion:

Deoxys-E is, without a doubt, one of the most revered revenge killers of the OU metagame. He is also one of the best late game sweepers, capitalizing on his awesome Speed and great movepool to pick off weakened foes. Even though Deoxys-E can’t really take a hit, his ability to hit foes with super-effective attacks certainly makes up for that. He was essentially bumped down to OU to deal with Garchomp (and a multitude of other reasons you don’t need to mention to me), but with that land shark now Uber, Deoxys-E now has the ability to run rampant.

Counters:

Although it may sound funny, essentially anything that’s faster than Deoxys-E is trouble for him. My personal counter for this speedy DNA thingy is a ScarfGar. Since most people don’t invest enough Speed EVs to out-speed a Modest ScarfGar, it can easily KO Deoxys-E with a swift Shadow Ball. Priority moves are also a good counter to him, especially ExtremeSpeed and Shadow Sneak (not sure if they would KO him depending on the Poke, someone can run calcs if they wish). Spiritomb can take on Deoxys-E, just like he takes out most Psychics. Sucker Punch will do a ton to him, and he can punish a fleeing Deoxys-E with Pursuit. T-Tar can Pursuit him as well, but has no business taking on a set with Superpower. Bronzong, Jirachi and Metagross all wall the special and mixed sets, but Fire Punch can be of great aid in taking them out.

Snypar
09-23-2008, 03:59 PM
In the counters you said ScarfGar, ScarfGar can only revenge kill Deo, Metagross, Jirachi as counters should be added.

Iconic
09-24-2008, 12:31 AM
In the counters you said ScarfGar, ScarfGar can only revenge kill Deo, Metagross, Jirachi as counters should be added.
Thanks Snypar, I'll add the counters.

In terms of ScarfGar, I've used a Blissey bait very successfully many times. When they'd bring in a Deo-E on my Bliss, predict the Superpower, switch to Gar, they'd stay in cause they're dumb, Deo dies from Shadow Ball.

Vashta
09-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I suggest 252 speed as opposed to the 46 Defence to tie (at worst) with opposing Deo leads - on the Dual Screen set, I mean. Honestly, the abundance of them lately is ridiculous almost. And getting Taunted by one is really annoying, imo. Or at least make it an option on EVs.

Iconic
09-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I suggest 252 speed as opposed to the 46 Defence to tie (at worst) with opposing Deo leads - on the Dual Screen set, I mean. Honestly, the abundance of them lately is ridiculous almost. And getting Taunted by one is really annoying, imo. Or at least make it an option on EVs.
Read the full description of the set.

Eternal
10-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Please add Cosmic Wall Deoxys-E. A dangerous beast in the name of stall. <_<

xXxAngelxXx
10-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Full on psysical? Pwnage

Mithrandir
10-19-2008, 02:13 AM
yay it's uber sexy

Iconic
10-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Please add Cosmic Wall Deoxys-E. A dangerous beast in the name of stall. <_<
Yes sir. I was kinda unfinished this analysis to be honest, but I'll add that set when I update it with Platinum stuff :D