PDA

View Full Version : Lapras Analsyis

Strype McClaine
09-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Lapras - Come Sail with me.
http://www.sukhoi-aerotech.com/pics/Lapras001XP.jpg

First Glance
Not much in this world gives me the same warm angelic cuddling emotion than the dewy-eyed lapras. Seriously, one of the Pokémon, I just wish I could have in real life. What more would you want than to spend the day on the lake, sailing around with your sweet friend. Also, chicks dig the guys with the lapras.
In first generation, it was a sort of para-fusion set, it later liked to curse and sleep talk, and it finely became the lapras of today. Hard to find in game, as much as it is hard to find in the metagame. Great stats, good typing, awesome defensives. Am I alone with the thought that no one is paying attention to old Nessy?
Also, half of the builds refer to where lapras is acquired.

Abilities
Water Absorb Damage from Water moves instead heals up to 1/4 of this Pokémon's max HP.
Shell Armor No moves will critically hit this Pokémon.

Well, lets be honest, one of the above abilties is good, and one isn't. Water absorb outclasses shell armor all day long and even all night. This might also be called, free switch ins, free heals, and even free free, the best kind of free. Shell Armor by no means is a bad thing, but free free, is better.

Sliph Co. Brand "Parafusion"
Lapras @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm/Modest/Bold
192 Def / 160 SpA / 156 SpD

• Blizzard / Ice Beam / Surf
• Thunderbolt / Surf / Hydro Pump
• Body Slam / Dragon Breath / Thunder / Zap cannon (?)
• Confuse Ray

Why have Body slam on a poke that has a low power nature? Well, It’s a move with a 30% chance of paralysis. And guess what? The rest of these moves also have, 30% of paralysis…except for zap cannon. Which has 50% of hitting with 100% chance of paralysis (so 50% chance.)
This is obviously an homage to the lapras you received from that poor man hiding in his cubical and Sliph Co. . Dragon Breath provides an interesting option, and to be honest, the one I like the most, of using Surf/T-Bolt/Dragon Breath you still seem to have good coverage, and decent paralysis chance.

Friday Naptime in Union Cave
Lapras@Leftovers / Life Orb
Modest
Water Absorb

• Ice Beam
• Thunderbolt
• Rest
• Sleep Talk

Sleep talkers have been done to death in theory, and lapras, is no exception. Sleep talking lapras was fairly popular in generation 2, and like today's driftloon, was only available once per weak.
Except, lapras, doesn't try to kidnap children and take them to hell, driftloon tries to.
….4Kids accomplishes it.

Curse of Extinction
Lapras@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Careful
160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 SpD

• Curse
• Ice Shard / Avalanche
• Waterfall
• Return / Rest /Body Slam / Sing / Roar / Reflect /Other Utility move

This is an update of another Gen 2 Classic. Lapras was hunted to near extension and it passes that curse onto its opponents as it hunts them down. Want Priority? Ice Shard. Want negative Priority? Avalanche.
Shame it gets waterfall and not aqua tail, the extra power is better with the loss of flinch chance.
The last slot, is well, up to you. Return/Body slam do decent damage, and the latter can try to para.
Rest for extra hit point recovery. Sing for chance of sleepyness, Roar to say GTFO NOOB. Reflect can send your defense in the stratosphere while you get EVEN MOAR curses up, and potentially help your mates.

Doey-eyed Dancer
Lapras@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Adamant
32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe

• Dragon Dance
• Waterfall
• Return
• Substitute / Ice Beam / Ice Shard

Do you know how easy this is to set up? Better yet, Do you know how easy it is to make your opponent disconnect with 2-3, or even 6, (yes, 6) dragon dances in? Kid you not, this is one of the all time best uses for the dear water girl, and well, it wrecks up some ******* hard core. Free switch in to water, sub on their switch, dance 1, dance 2, attempt sweep, usually succeed in sweep.

Singing Doom
Lapras@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Careful
256 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD

• Perish Song/Toxic
• Whirlpool
• Dive / Protect
• Reflect / Ice Shard / Ice Beam

Toxic stalling AND Perish Trapping, IN ONE AWESOME SET. Yea, I'm combining theories again, and saying look at your options once again. This feels like a super mega ****** bag set. Awesome.

I will, kill you
Lapras@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Careful
256 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD

• Protect/Rest
• Sing/Sleep Talk
• Horn Drill / Fissure
• Shear Cold

Lapras is angry at the people who don’t show her enough respect. So, she says that she will kill them.
Cool. Take your pick of methods, your utility moves, and then use two of the OKO moves.

Victory Road
Lapras@Leftovers / Choice Specs / Life Orb
Water Absorb
Modest

• Ice Beam / Blizzard / Icy Wind
• Thunderbolt / Thunder
• Surf/Hydro Pump
• Toxic / Sing/Hidden Power [Grass] / Psychic / Hyper Beam

Once again, combining ideas to just show things as options. It kind of works like this, choose some items, choose some moves, and then kill some *******. Icy wind is nearly half the power of Ice Beam….BUT…..acts like a free speed boost (sortof) that will generate switches, will get you to hit first….yea, you see where this is going….

XD Support
Lapras@Leftovers
Modest
Water Absorb

• Heal bell
• Reflect
• Dive / Surf /Hydro Pump
• Roar

The grand finally is of course a shadowy support set straight from XD. Only four moves are listed but its options do not end there, no sir. Sing, Confuse Ray, Rain Dance, Tickle, Mimic, Heal Bell, Hail, Reflect, Substitute, Toxic, Swagger, Roar....
Seriously man. Your options as a defensive super wall.

Platinum Moves
• Zen Headbut
• Iron Head
• Signal Beam

Dear god, even..more…lapras sets are possible?!
Fortunately, the moves lapras got, are all, at best, decent options. Zen Headbut and Iron Head now join dancing lapras' Flinch repertoire…but…aren’t worth it? Unless you want to slap them on a choice scarf set, but then only zen headbutt. You can most defiantly use signal beam on a special set, but lapras has….tons of special options.

Wrap Up
Most every option is discussed. A Scarf set, and a band set, are possible, but are outclassed by dragon dance, and curse, since the attack stat is a little lack luster but gets painful, fast with boosts.
This was a very hard Pokémon to write about, as the options just never end. Behold, by the end of the day, spanner will point something out, and TSP will likely be adding two more sets, but as many custom sets that are listed here…it just is a bit painful as it goes and goes and goes.

Statigar
09-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Personally i prefer this analysis. There are many wonderful sets, great descriptions too. You can even smell the excellence of Strypes Enthusiasm!

Iconic
09-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Personally i prefer this analysis. There are many wonderful sets, great descriptions too. You can even smell the excellence of Strypes Enthusiasm!
*smells*

Yes I too smell it. Excellent work Strype!

Strype McClaine
09-24-2008, 02:43 AM
I don't think that's enthusiasm....I wrote this one while sitting in ecology, so I think you'r smelling the hippy I was sitting next to.

Spannertastic
09-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Oh yes well you obviously missed the toxiparafusion set that has been around for years and always used. It goes something like:

Lapras@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold nature
EV's: 252 hp / 180 Def / 72 SpD

Toxic
Confuse Ray
Thunderbolt/Body Slam/Dragonbreath
Surf/Ice Beam

It's really good if you hack the game to allow 2 status effects at once...

In other words Strype, there is nothing else worth mentioning that Lapras can do ^_^
Amazing work, as usual.

Strype McClaine
10-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Platnium Updated, and Bumped

lapras6666
02-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, I am incredibly impressed. I have the pure honour of being one of the BEST ANALYSES ON THIS SITE! THANK YOU STRYPE! THANK YOU!!!
Also, I love your opinion about Lapras at the beginning. And yeah, you are not the only one.

Two things:
Put Outrage as an option on the DD set.
The majority of battlers use OHKO clause now. Get rid of that set.

MikeDecIsHere
02-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Word of advice. Read the date of the other posts before you post. This analysis is about 2 years old and effectively dead. Please don't revive old threads.

lapras6666
02-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Ah ok. Sry, I just couldn't resist it.

Statigar
02-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Ah ok. Sry, I just couldn't resist it.

You could make a newer Lapras analysis for the site :P

lapras6666
02-17-2011, 08:27 PM

I'd love to, but I SUCK at making them. My description sucks (my maximum per set is like five lines)

Dimes
02-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Or they could make one that we need for the site.