PDA

View Full Version : Metagross Analsyis

Strype McClaine
09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Metagross - Now Running Windows Vista.....as an Admin

http://veekun.com/dex-images/sugimori/376.png

First Glance
Steel Psychic is a legendary combination. Bronzong, Metagross, and Jirachi. All of the three are some of the biggest most awesome bad asses around. Two weaknesses: fire and ground, a metric **** ton of resistances… a good move pool, good stats. The scary thing is, you don’t really know who exactly of the three steel psychics Im talking about ('cept bronzong breaks the mold a little with levitate).

Metagross is a guy I hold a special place in my heart for, a non dragon base 600 stat set, needs no fancy egg moves just a few tutors. His usage is only hampered a little by the silliness that is garchomp, who comes in and earthquakes what ever he feels like he should, jirachi has the same problem. Beyond that, a good fire attack or earthquake will often send the metal man home for the night, everything else, has a bit of a tougher time penetrating through the steely defenses and landing a knock out blow.

Many water types often wall metagross easily due to the resistance to both his stabs, and the fact that surf while not SE, is plenty effective enough.

Ability
Clear Body-Stops the enemy from lowering this Pokémon's stats.
Another case of you have one good ability that has marginal utility. Oh well, seems strong, no stat drops for me…no icy wind..no intimidate…no fake tears…meta sees through your lies and personal insecurities, and meteor mashes you.

Banded together
Metagross@Choice Band
Adamant
252 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def

• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake
• Explosion / Zen Head but
• ThunderPunch / Pursuit / Bullet Punch

Moves 1 and 2 are gold standard of metagross beat down-ery. Mash is stab and the off hand chance of getting attack boosts, just for fun you know, Earthquake smashes holes in even the tightest of defenses.

The last two, seriously, up to you. Explosion is a small thermo nuclear lawl in the face of anything. Even skarmory who resists takes around 85% from it.
Zen Headbut is a ok secondary stab, but you wont get any flinches from it on this set.
Thunder punch laughs in the face of water men.
Bullet Punch gets stab in the same way that makes you wonder if indeed it is fair or not.
And finely Pursuit will take care of any cowardly punk you see, and is funn on ghosts, psychics, and ubers.

Need better coverage against dragons? Fine, yah bum, grab ice punch.
Seriously, its all up to you.

What the Hell
Metagross@Choice Scarf
Adamant
252 Speed / 252 Atk / 4 Hp

• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake
• Explosion / Zen Head but
• ThunderPunch / Pursuit / Ice Punch

Agility gross with out a wasted move slot. Scarf gets you a whopping 359 speed

* 359 - 252 Jolteon, Crobat, Aerodactyl (130)
* 350 - +nature/252 Gengar, Tauros, Espeon (110)
* 349 - 252 Swellow, Weavile (125)
* 346 - +nature/252 Infernape (108 )
* 339 - +nature/252 Mismagius (105)
* 339 - 252 Alakazam, Dugtrio, Sceptile (120)
* 334 - One DD from 223 speed (outspeeds all base 100s, Garchomp, and 252-speed base 115s), BulkyGyara
* 333 - +nature/252 Garchomp (102)
* 329 - 252 Raikou, Ambipom, Azelf, Starmie (115)
* 328 - +nature/252 Zapdos, Celebi, Slaking, Flygon, Salamence, Jirachi, Regigigas, Staraptor, Manaphy, Shaymin (100)

You tie with crobat, jolteon, and aerodactyl with a non boosting nature.
You beat +nature garchomp,

Is my point clear here yet? Zen headbut is for the flinch hax and stab.
Ice punch is advisable here.
Pick your move.
Rock face.
Screw you garchomp.

Even faster
Metagross@ Life Orb / Shuca Berry / Leftovers
Adamant
152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spe

• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake
• Agility / Rock Polish
• ThunderPunch / Explosion / Pursuit / Ice Punch / Zen Headbut

Run leftovers. I mean, you don’t have to, shuca berry lets you survive the eq. Life orb lets you hit harder.
But run leftovers, you will get the speed boost, you will get the attack boost from the mash, and you will win at life. That’s how awesome agility metagross is. Just protect him from the dreaded will o wisps and the even more dreaded by me thunder wave.

By now, you know why each of the above moves has potential.
Enjoy, and beware of scarf-chomp.

Screen Saver
Metagross @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Shed Shell
Adamant
252 HP / 176 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SpD
• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake / Facade
• Rest
• Sleep Talk

Also an obvious set, Façade is just an option with sleep talk, but 140 bp normal, its not bad, just not great.
I wonder if the metagross's screen saver is that falling through space one…I like that one….yea…

Coming at you from both sides.
Metagross@ Expert Belt/Leftovers/Life Orb
252 Atk / 124 SpA / 132 Spe
Naughty
• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake
• Grass Knot
• Hidden Power Fire / Psychic

Other special moves that metagross has…for some reason.
Psychic
Hyper Beam
Icy Wind
Flash Cannon
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb

No I don’t know why he has toughs special moves…but hey, make a special set if you want. However, if you do I recommend the above build, and keeping meteor mash, because it will always out damage flash cannon as far as stab's go.

Network Security
Metagross@ Occa Berry / Leftovers / Light Clay
Adamant
208 HP / 76 Atk / 224 SpD
• Stealth Rock / Light Screen
• Reflect
• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake / Ice Punch

Of course this is a support set, and by now the utility seems obvious.

Gyro-Arm

Metagross @ Leftovers / Lum Berry / Iron Plate
Ability: Clear Body
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def.
Nature: Brave (+ Atk, - Spd.)
- Gyro Ball
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake / Ice Punch / Thunderpunch / Meteor Mash / Explosion
- Bullet Punch / Ice Punch / Thunderpunch / Meteor Mash / Explosion

Point here is to either pass Curses to this set or Hammer Arm to make Gyro Ball more powerful. And attack accordingly. Take your pick between items. Leftovers is this Metagross's only way to recover, Lum Berry gets rid of a possible Burn sent his way. Iron Plate only gets a mention as you could use alot of Steel Attacks.

1337 #@X0r - Platinum Move Set
Metagross@ Flame Orb / Poison Orb / Lagging Tail / Bad Item
Adamant
152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Def
• Meteor Mash
• Earthquake
• Trick
• ThunderPunch / Pursuit / Bullet Punch / Explosion / Agility

This is kinda the Obligatory Trick set, and you know what. I love it all ready. As with all trick sets, you pick an item, and then go to town. I love the synergy of holding a poison orb, being immune to poison, and keeping the "trick" Up your sleave. The last slot, just pick any normal metagros move and go to town. The first three moves, yea, your stuck with them. Though, you could drop Mash for bullet punch, but, even with stabb, its a little lack luster.

Other options
Hammer Arm - Just feels redundant, and the speed drop sucks.
Light Screen - Special attacks are not as common as their special counter parts.
Protect - if your toxic stalling, maybe, but why is metagross toxic stalling and not face smashing.
Substitute - A good option, but you have better.
Toxic- if your toxic stalling, maybe, but why is metagross toxic stalling and not face smashing.
Areal Ace - Zen Headbut gets stabb, fulfills the same role, and has flinch potential.
Brick Break - Just feels redundant.
Magnet Rise - Pretend to be magnazone!
Scary Face - Works kind of like agility except generates switches.
Rock Slide - Eh, could be good.
Iron Defence- Don’t you have better things to do? Like…Attacking?

If you notice, almost every set is adamant. Shocking isn't it? Why is that, you might ask your self.
135 base attack. Monstrous face smashery. 369 attack goes to 405 attack. 405 hurts any one, everyone, even you, indescribably.

[Reposting due to loss from deletion]

Fury Cutter
Ice Punch
Icy Wind
Trick
Thunderpunch
Zen Headbutt
Magnet Rise
Snore
Swift
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Mud-slap
Rollout
Signal Beam

Platinum Options
Signal Beam and Trick are the only really new additions to Plat, and the punches are just a boon for thoughts of us who still breed (because we are bored.)
If you want to try a special set, just add Signal Beam to your options.

Strype McClaine
10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Updated for Platinum goodness
~Strype McClaine

Eternal
10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Excellent work.

Disco_stu
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah really great work here.

I like the trick set a lot.

Statigar
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah really great work here.

I like the trick set a lot.

Im sure our analysers appreciate it :D

jackched123
10-08-2008, 06:36 AM
I've made that set "Coming at you from both sides" but mine has psychic instead of earthquake. I was lucky to hp fire

Strype McClaine
10-09-2008, 12:39 AM
How is it working for you thus far? To each their own on that one but I find I always want at least two attacks on each type (physical/Special) if I invest that much into an attack stat that high, and only use the secondary attacking stat, to aid coverage.