PDA

View Full Version : Magmortar analysis

FYS-guard
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
My 3rd analysis. i reckon this ones better than the first one i ever did. do let me know if im missing anything important, thanks :D

I give my opinions based on each set rather than all in one. i just find it easier to write it up that way

http://www.studiopokemon.com/imagenes/battle_revolution/magmortar/magmortar.png

Magmortar is a poke I love to use in practice matches. he gets a lot of surprise kills with his great movepool and type coverage. alos the Sp atk on this beast of a fire poke can kill many pokes who take nuetral or in some cases, not very effective damage from his stabbed overheat. its a poke i will always have a spot in a future team for.

FIRE TYPE

FLAME BODY: 30% chance of opponent burning themselves on contact with magmortar

MAGMA ARMOR: prevents magmortar from getting frozen (and how do you freeze fire? lol)

SPECSMORTAR

Magmortar@choice specs
Modest

252 SpA
252 Spe
4 SpD

Overheat
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice

This set has excellent type coverage.

Overheat: steel, ice, grass, bug
Thunderbolt: water, flying
Focus blast: normal, steel, dark, rock
HP ice: dragon, flying, ground

Attacks are super effective on 11 out of 17 types. and that is awesome for 1 pokes moveset. all other attacks have enough power to OHKO or 2HKO nuetral types due to the high sp atk and specs on top of that

Overheat off specs destroys nearly anything in 1 shot that is nuetrally damaged by it (except bliss and cress of course who take 4-6 hits to kill providing they dont recover or have leftovers)). Thunderbolt is a nasty surprise for Water-types, and if Swampert makes an appearance, it can be 2HKOed with Focus Blast (even if leftovers recovery is in effect, thats providing it has the standard EV spread). Focus blast can still 3HKO a sp def swampert with max HP but this is not recommended due to the fact that earthquake will tear you apart. focus blast will easily OHKO Tyranitar and Heatran who decide they want to soak up a fire move and cop one to the face instead, and 2HKO Snorlax. 688 HP / 306 SpD Blissey can be 2HKOed with the help of Stealth Rock, the 252EV hp and def bold will take 3 hits to kill (2 if you get a sp def drop on them).

Other options: you may wish to consider cross chop for the blisseys with less def ev and more sp def. it has high critical hit ratio and better accuracy. however, magmortar is a modest so if you are going to do this, switch nature to mild as his poor defence doesnt really matter anyway. you could also go fire blast over overheat for better late game sweeping and no power drops, but overheat can still kill off gengar substitutes even when sp atk is at its lowest. i have tried this in a battle and for proof, ask Blackliquid009 on the marriland forums.

you could run psychic over focus blast for hitting gengars on the switch in and fighting types like machamp and hariyama who may make rare appearences. that way, if your opponent predicts focus blast, at least you can hit the ghost type they may send in. however, your coverage wont be as goos because fighting type moves hit a lot of OU pokes for a lot of damage, thats why its best to keep focus blast despite the accuracy

Opinion: his below average speed is a bit of a drawback, but his movepool is able to hurt practically everything in the OU tiers. all you need is good prediction because in my opinion, its the trainer that lets magmortar down. another drawback is the fact that chipping away at his health with spikes, poison and stealth rock can wear him down quickly

Counters

blissey is the main counter for the all out special attacer specsmortar as she can survive 3 focus blasts and get all that health back and set up stealth rock or toxic an incoming poke. plus, if you decide not to use focus blast, then bliss wont have to bother healing and be able to set up very easily

anything with aqua jet will be able to easily OHKO magmortar.

pokes with protect will totally screw up this magmortar because all they have to do is protect and switch to the appropriate counter.

Technician quick attack scizors can OHKO magmortar with the help of weather, spikes or stealth rock so you may think your gonna roast them, but really one quick strike can be your downfall.

Anything faster than specsmortar that knows earthquake or stone edge will force a switch and be able to set up.

SCARFMORTAR

Magmortar@choice scarf
Modest
252sp atk
252speed
4sp def

Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Overheat
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Focus Blast

Magmortar has excellent Special Attack, a great movepool and alright speed, which makes it a prime candidate for a Choice Scarf. Unfortunately, with a base Speed of 83, Magmortar falls short of the 404 needed to outrun Adamant Choice Scarf Heracross. However, it still manages to outspeed and KO many fast opponents such as Aerodactyl, Starmie, and Weavile.

The combination of Fire, Electric, Ice, and Fighting attacking types gives Magmortar great coverage, which helps it function as an excellent lead (same with specsmortar, however specsmortars speed lets it down in the lead category). It can take out many other common leads such as Bronzong, Azelf, aerodactyl, salamence, Gyarados, and non-Scarf Gengar. Once this is done Magmortar can be saved until the late game to attempt a sweep once the opponent's team is sufficiently weakened.

A STAB Fire Blast will put a dint in almost everything it hits, but a miss spells death for something as frail as Magmortar. Flamethrower has a much better hit rate but the sacrifice in power is very notable - Fire Blast is guaranteed the KO against a 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar if it hits, whereas Flamethrower will never KO without a critical hit (doing 95% at its best). Because of this, Fire Blast is recommended as the primary STAB move, if only to get rid of enemy Gengar. Overheat is slightly more accurate and more powerful than Fire Blast, but has the unfortunate side effect of lowering Special Attack. Magmortar will be switching often, though, so the drop in power really doesnt matter too much.

Thunderbolt is the move that distinguishes it from many other Fire-type Pokemon and deals with the common water switch ins seen coming in on infernape or heatran. HP Ice will take out any Dragons you may encounter, and Focus Blast is a likely OHKO on max HP Tyranitar (93% to 100% damage), who shrugs off the other attacks on this set. It will also allow you to better deal with opposing Heatran which might come in to steal a Flash Fire boost.

Though a base 95 attack stat is decent, cross chop still isnt recommended as it wont come anywhere near 2HKOing a blissey without attack EV and a life orb. focus blast is there to take out other threats like heatran and swamperts when they switch in hpoing for a HP ice or fire blast

The 4 remaining EVs are not placed in HP because they would give Magmortar even HP, which means that it would be killed on the fourth switch into Stealth Rock.

counters: scarf pokes with 266 speed or more will all be able to revenge kill, or in some cases, come in to soak up one attack and be under half health. you may think, "well im scarfed so ill kill them" only to have them kill magmortar.

Blisseys and aqua jetters still counter this set. as do protectors and tech scizors.

Opinion: This set isnt favored as magmortars are designed for blasting pokes on the switch in, which is why the specs set was made. however the scarfed set is unpredictable when first seen in a battle and can score a surprise kill. not only that, it can come in on more pokes and get a free attack. plus, 383 sp attack isnt shabby at all so itll still be delivering pain.

MIX ATTACKER

Magmortar@life orb/expert belt
Mild
84 Atk
252 SpA
172 Spe

Lava Plume / Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Cross Chop

With prediction, almost nothing can switch into this safely. Water-types get fried by a Thunderbolt, Dragons fear HP Ice or a burn from Lava Plume, and Rock-types and Blissey are taken care of by Cross Chop. Although there is a massive difference in base power between Lava Plume and Fire Blast, the former is recommended as your STAB move, as it helps Magmortar to differentiate himself from Infernape and Blaziken. Not only that, anything with lefties and no natural cure lose their recovery when burned by lava plume

Life Orb provides more power at the expense of HP. If you choose Life Orb, don't expect Magmortar to last long, as Sandstorm, Stealth Rock and "recoil" damage will wear him down very quickly. Expert Belt makes him a last a little longer, since he won't suffer recoil as is the case with Life Orb, and still gives your attacks a boost.

The Speed EVs are enough to hit 244 (accounting for HP Ice IVs), allowing magmortar to outrun Adamant Breloom, max Speed Abomasnow and finally, Jolly Tyranitar. The given spread means that Cross Chop plus Life Orb will 2HKO a 688 HP/130 Def Blissey. Expert Belt has a good chance of scoring a 2HKO, although you will need Stealth Rock support to make sure of this.

Other Options: Flamethrower is obviously a good option if you want more power than Lava Plume and more accuracy than Fire Blast. Like most Fire-types, Magmortar can use the Sunny Day/SolarBeam combination, but the rather low Speed make it an unappealing option. However, it does have the advantage of being able to use Cross Chop to fend off Tyranitar and Blissey. If you desire a Grass attack that does not require set up, then Hidden Power Grass can be used to maim Swampert and Rhyperior. you could use psychic but that only helps against blaziken and infernape switch ins, which isnt much.

Earthquake can be used to cover Fire-types more effectively, although Heatran already takes a big hit from Cross Chop and Infernape doesn't have the defenses to take repeated hits from any boosted attacks except Hidden Power. Magmortar learns a variety of other physical moves including Flare Blitz, Mach Punch and Focus Punch, opening up the potential for good Choice Band set.

Counter and Focus Sash can get you a surprise kill against a leading physical attacker. Confuse Ray is another option for a force switch, but is not recommended as magmortar sweepers are designed more for coverage, not crippling. Toxic can wear down a counter, and Will-O-Wisp is also on offer if you want a guaranteed way to burn your enemies than Lava Plume, however, the innaccuracy is a bit unappealing. Taunt can stop Blissey from using Softboiled while you chop away (recommended for the leftovers option explained furthur on), Thunder Wave, Toxic, etc. and also prevents the likes of Infernape and Garchomp setting up after they force Magmortar to switch out.

You could also give magmortar leftovers to prevent weather damage but this is not recommended unless you run taunt on counter walls like blissey to take them down easier. in non weather teams, it also gets back the health you lost from stealth rock and spikes. although toxic will render your lefties useless so its not a good idea

Opinion: the mix set has awesome coverage (every type basically) and a lot of useable options. like the specs set, its the trainer that lets it down. the advantages of the mix set are the fact that you can toggle through your attacks in battle rather than switch like the scarfed and specs versions. however, its power isnt exactly great like the specsmortar nor is its speed so its not the greatest revenge killer in the game

Counters: The dusknoir special walls can be a problem for magmortar. thats why its best to run lava plume for burning them on the switch in. a shadow sneak can hurt or if some attack EV is given to the dusknoir, and can even OHKO magmortar with the help of stealth rock or weather and life orb if magmortar holds life orb. if duckmoir is burned by lava plume, then you're safe

Sashed sucker punching pokes like honchkrow can OHKO magmortar if it decides to try and finish them off rather than switch.

LEADMORTAR

Magmortar@life orb/expert belt
modest

252sp atk
136spdef
104hp
16 speed

HP grass
sleep talk
fire blast/lava plume
taunt

this is a set i created. it has HP grass for swampert leads, taunt for those who want to set up rocks, screens or toxic spikes, fire blast for a stab move with a lot of power and sleep talk for gengars and bronzongs who try to put him to sleep.

the EV spread works like this. full sp atk for more power (obviously), 104 hp keeps hp uneven allowing you to survive 5 stealth rock switch ins rather than only 4 and allowing sp attacks to be taken easier and the sp def EV helps to survive azelfs stabbed psychic with more remaining HP for safer switch ins and allows magmortar to survive 2 gengar shadow balls (from a modest) and still have just under 1/3 health remaining (enough to survive another set of rocks on a switch in. 16 speed allows you to outspeed bulkydose and taunt them before they can power up

Other options: lava plume can be usd in place of fire blast in case your opponent happens to switch into a mence and you decide not to taunt them on the switch. burning the mence will let you survive 1 earthquake and give you the opportunity to taunt them and stop them from d dancing while you safely bring in a counter.

you can also have a shuca berry for easier earthquake survival rather than life orb power boost or expert belt. this will allow taunting mence to be easier. passho berry if you want to taunt bulkydose and thay happen to use waterfall instead

Counters: fast leads can counter this set easily (azelf is one of the main ones) by taunting you before you taunt them. they can also put up rocks before you can taunt.

U turners can easily bring in a poke that requires no setting up to kill magmortar or anything else in your team (scarfed pokes)

bulky waters like suicune can switch in comfortably.

Opinion: Its a set that requires good prediction to run. it can be helpful with lava plume burning early in the game but late game, its near useless unless all your opponent has is slow steel types and swampert + gastrodon. also it doesnt provide SR or wall support so hes not much help to the rest of your team

You will notice that i used smogon as a reference for the sets. however, i reworded them and added my own info wherever necessary
________
InnocentlySexy (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/InnocentlySexy)

Snypar
09-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Copy and pasted from Smogon.......

Elixir
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
hey. Snypar is right. This is copied and pasted from smogon. Can you do it in your own words completely.

Iconic
09-29-2008, 08:30 PM
God the reason why it takes so long to upload good analyses is that we actually write them ourselves. Its okay to use Smogon as a reference but eventually you need to write everything yourself, think of new sets, run damage calcs, calculate EVs (especially Speed) and whatnot. This makes it that it takes a hell of a long time to make a good analysis written intellectually and eloquently.

Case in point: don't copy from friggin Smogon. The whole rewarding aspect of being an Analyzer is that you make your own work (EV spreads, sets, counters, opinions, etc...).

Eternal
09-30-2008, 03:31 AM
Yes.

It is ok to use Smogon as a reference but you MUST write the analysis in your OWN words.

I'll leave it unlocked for you to edit it.

ikke
09-30-2008, 12:49 PM
1 other options/counter section at the end of the analysis not per set.

add more sets magmortar can do more.

good jobtho

FYS-guard
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
1 other options/counter section at the end of the analysis not per set.

add more sets magmortar can do more.

good jobtho

thanks man :D . ill update when i think of more options and sets, coz im quite proud of this one. it ***** all over my first one
________
Wellbutrin lawyers (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

Statigar
09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
did you actually rewrite this? Or are you ignoring what we said..

.. DO NOT COPY AND PASTE FROM SMOGON

Snypar
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
This should be deleted, As far as I can see this is copy and pasted. >_>

Blackout
10-01-2008, 04:41 AM

Be my guest. Unless you are planning on editing this, which I would recommend just redoing it.

FYS-guard
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Be my guest. Unless you are planning on editing this, which I would recommend just redoing it.

ill edit it right now.
________
MistressKarla (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/MistressKarla)