PDA

View Full Version : Undervalued Moves

Eternal
10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Exactly what it says on the box. Here's an exmaple:

Swagger - It's definitely a bit of a gamble, but thanks to confusion damage being based on attack it can easily turn the tides against a physical sweeper. I've managed to swagger some lethal physical sweepers who proceeded to kill themselves in one-to-two hits (had to prevent switching first), for example a Rampardos.

-Creditted to OdioOmnus for the idea.

FYS-guard
10-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I find Lava plume to be underrated seeing as people often run will o wisp on a heatran rather than lava plume. lava plume has a 30% chance of burning (which is quite high), it has 80 base power (120 STAB) and it has 100 accuracy. lava plume is good for any tran counters that come in on a fire move (especially physical sweepers like mence) becuas eof the higher burn rate. once a physical sweeper is burned, even when it sets up, theres not much it can do to you

I too find swagger underrated. I have successfully killed a garchomp with my swaggering pachirisu several times (without taking damage against 3 of them). i have done this 4 times out of 7. Ive explained my strategy in the pachirisu analysis and the creative movesets thread

I also find sludge bomb to be underrated. most people dont expect this move from powerful sp atk poison types like gengar and roserade. it has a 30% chance of poisoning, 135 base stab power and 100 accuracy. now thats lethal. any pokes that take nuetral damage from poison type moves are going to be hurt by sludge bomb from a poison poke. and most of those pokes get hit on switch ins.

Jari
10-11-2008, 04:58 AM
I used Lava Plume for quite some time on my sweeping Heatran. But then I realised that it's supposed to 1HKO as much as possible. 30% burn rate doesn't matter if you can 1HKO the opponent. So I chose the most powerful move with 100 accuracy: Good old Flamethrower.
I think Magma Storm is a good alternative for Fire Blast. If you want to risk the 15 accuracy loss, why not again and have a Fire Blast and Fire Spin in 1 move?

Charge Beam is used more often now, but I think it's worth a mention. 50 base power and 90 accuracy isn't that good, but with it's 70% chance of raising SpA, why not use it instead of Thunderbolt?

Mithrandir makes people realise that Rain Dance isn't that bad if you can pull it off on a Swift Swimmer.

Elevator Music
10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
They're semi-commonly used, but still underrated imo:

Trick: Now that it's widely accessable, the suprise factor rose. It's still a great move.
Substitute: Still amazing.
Taunt: ^ this

and special shoutout goes to

Encore: more or less the epitome of undervalued. It's really quite the incredible move, punishing you for trying to set up.

M Dragon
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Discharge
That thing is awesome. 30% of paralyzing is great

mosers15
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Im really going to disagree with substitute, taunt, and trick being underrated...

I would agree with discharge, encore, and swagger though.

In my opinion some underrated moves would be..
-Rock Slides usually overshadowed by stone edge...but flinch hax is smexy and so is better accuracy.....
-sucker punch + taunt + pursuit = evil. Sucker Punch and Pursuit need more credit for being able to pwn the living hell out of a lot of pokekom like azelf, gengar, and starmie.
-Drain Punch hits SE on a lot and combined with the right moveset *im talking about you bulk up gallade lol* then it can really be devastating to pokemon like ttar and weavile....even those it lacks the power of close combat or even brick break
-Doom Desire is pwnage. Just the fact that it cant be resisted at all is pwnage enough. Thats an unresisted 180 base power attack coming from jirachi. They switch in Bronzong...bronzongs going to get get by an attack that has the same kind of power as close combat. Probably the most underrate move imo

Thats all ive got =/

Kuja20
10-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Haze from a poke like weezing gets missed sometimes, nice to prevent status boosts when you dont have something that can roar/whirlwind the opponent away

Psycho Shift - I love this move with Cress, i used it a lot way back when and it really can save u the battle. IT CAN PASS SLEEP TO YOUR OPPONENT lol.

Metal Sound could be used more to encourage switching

Heal Bell/Aromatherapy for healling your team

and the most underated of all is PK FIRE!

Rock Head
10-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Haze from a poke like weezing gets missed sometimes, nice to prevent status boosts when you dont have something that can roar/whirlwind the opponent away

Psycho Shift - I love this move with Cress, i used it a lot way back when and it really can save u the battle. IT CAN PASS SLEEP TO YOUR OPPONENT lol.

Metal Sound could be used more to encourage switching

Heal Bell/Aromatherapy for healling your team

and the most underated of all is PK FIRE! i saw this moveset in the cress analysis and i am asking, since it came from flame orb will the opponent's atk be cut in half?

Charm- causes physical pokes to switch like hell with bliss

FYS-guard
10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Another move that i find underrated. Memento. This move really helps you get a free set up if you are good with your prediction. It is a really easy way to set up a bellyzard or any drumming sub poke. the only thing you dont want is a phazer to strike you too early.

Wrap is mega underrated. used in combination with encore and toxic, this move is the BOMB in UU battles. shuckle can learn all 3 moves and can slowly wear down an opponent who can do virtually nothing throughout the battle to shuckle. also, your choice of rest, or an attack. rest to sleep off damage, or an attack to make the killing a little quicker

mosers15
10-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Another move that i find underrated. Memento. This move really helps you get a free set up if you are good with your prediction. It is a really easy way to set up a bellyzard or any drumming sub poke. the only thing you dont want is a phazer to strike you too early.

Wrap is mega underrated. used in combination with encore and toxic, this move is the BOMB in UU battles. shuckle can learn all 3 moves and can slowly wear down an opponent who can do virtually nothing throughout the battle to shuckle. also, your choice of rest, or an attack. rest to sleep off damage, or an attack to make the killing a little quicker

wrap is okay i guess....still better hope the opponent falls for it or else shuckle will be playing a counter. I dont even remember what memento does...

Oh and Rock head. When you PsychoShift burn to someone they get burned...halving their attack. Rest SleepTalk Psycho Shift Whatever is fun

FYS-guard
10-17-2008, 11:01 PM

wrap is okay i guess....still better hope the opponent falls for it or else shuckle will be playing a counter. I dont even remember what memento does...

Thats what encore is for. That way i they try to set up, they will be doing so til they die. Plus, if you use rest while the foe is wrapped and encored, you will not be worrying about status

mosers15
10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
vs steel types what then?
metagross laughs at shuckle badly....no setting up required.....just pure meteor mash BOOM headshotness

no toxic encore or wrap.....lol shuckle gets pwned

FYS-guard
10-17-2008, 11:29 PM
vs steel types what then?
metagross laughs at shuckle badly....no setting up required.....just pure meteor mash BOOM headshotness

no toxic encore or wrap.....lol shuckle gets pwned

Against a steel type, any shuckle gets PWNed. And its UU, no one would use it against a metagross in OU unless theyre either a nub, born brainless or its their last poke. It does work pretty well against other types though

mosers15
10-17-2008, 11:48 PM
in UU sure....it has the best defenses in UU..*so i think*...obviously it could work haha with the only steel types being steelix or something and the few poison types being unable to touch shuckle....taunt absol vs shuckle though....yeah haha.

Oh and i thought of another underrated move...-Mean look. Sure its used a lot but a lot of people dont realize that a mean look bper who passes onto a counter who sets up is really just wrong..

Jari
10-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Tickle is a fun move and -1 att and def isn't that bad. Thief can be good with a little prediction. It's like Knock Off but better damage. Knock Off itself is also quite underrated. Crush Claw is nice, but hard to fit in a moveset. 50% chance to lower def isn't bad and 75 BP is alright. Erm, Feint is good against those Protect abusers, but the usage is probably too dependant on the occasion. Heal Block sure screws with Blissey and Wish abusers. Last Resort is just uber when used with the right moveset. Low Kick is just the Fighting version of Grass Knot. Role Play works like Trace, which isn't bad. And what happened with Snatch and Psych Up?