PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Battleing Discussion "Chain Teams"

Sub|Zero
10-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Basically, this topic was made to discuss different areas fo competitive battleing, and who knows you might get a few tips along the way. Every two days i will be posting a discussion for different areas of competitive battleing, Todays Topic is Chain Teams.

Topic

Not alot of people use chain teams in competitive play, But myself i like to use the most standard chain team created:

Zapdos @ Lum Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Spe / 152 SpD
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
~Agility
~Baton Pass
~Thunderbolt
~Substitute

Smeargle @ Shed Shell
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
~Ingrain
~Spore
~Substitute
~Baton Pass

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 152 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
~Swords Dance
~Baton Pass
~Iron Defense
~Iron Head

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 60 Spe
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
~Baton Pass
~Substitute
~Ice Beam
~Wish

Mr. Mime @ Leftovers
Trait: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP/100 Def/56 Spd/102 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
~Baton Pass
~Calm Mind
~Thunderbolt
~Grass Knot

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 196 Spe / 60 SpA
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
~Close Combat
~Crunch
~Hidden Power [Ice]
~Bullet Punch

Now to look at it it doesn't seem that effective and it is really predictable, However if you switch Mr.Mime for a Mean passer this team becomes more than confusing. Now, if we Look at certain aspects of chain teams starting with DEF, i would highly reccomend Scizor or Vaporeon for there Iron Defence or Acid Armor, SP.DEF would be Mr Mime with CM, and if your looking for speed who better than Zapdos with agility? the hardest part of this chain is to keep your opponent confused and not to let out who your reciever is I.E Lucario.

Lucario in my oppinion is the best reciever as he only takes 3% damage from Stealth Rock, sandstorm doesnt efefct him, and quite frankly after 2 Swords Dances he's unstoppable. With Maxed DEF from Iron Defence there's no stopping him.

Moving on this topic is so you can discuss different areas of Chain Teams i gave you the example of a chain team above, now all you need to do is either post one that you thinsk works better, or ask questions to get info about what other Pokemon can be used in a chain team.

Twig
10-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Very interseting. I have never used one myself, for fear of epically failing. The most I have ever done was a simple set up with a Gliscor, or an Umbreon. Although, I do find it very fun to pass a mean look with Umbreon and them set up all over that poke and 6-0 the opponent.

Elixir
10-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I tried this, and it worked! Not a bad team sub zero

Jari
10-17-2008, 10:26 PM
You can add Aqua Ring on Smeargle or Vaporeon for some (extra) recovery every turn.

I think BP teams sucks as they don't seem to work. One Whirlwind or Roar and everything's gone. This requires quite some time to set up. It's the same with walls: You're just waiting for the opponent to get a CH. Also, if the opponent uses Leech Seed when you don't have a Sub up, it carries on to the next Pokemon.

StringCheese used a BP team and I stalled it with a LO Heatran...

Rock Head
10-17-2008, 10:27 PM
You can add Aqua Ring on Smeargle or Vaporeon for some (extra) recovery every turn.

I think BP teams sucks as they don't seem to work. One Whirlwind or Roar and everything's gone. This requires quite some time to set up. It's the same with walls: You're just waiting for the opponent to get a CH. Also, if the opponent uses Leech Seed when you don't have a Sub up, it carries on to the next Pokemon.

Yeah i have seen his team too but my first pokemon always kills it which was gallade thou it requires a crt as he has to constantly switch to beat my galalde!

Battlulz
10-31-2008, 07:33 PM

If the opponent uses a good BP team, they would have something with Taunt to prevent being phazing, or use something with Mean Look to prevent switches, or use something like Mr. Mime to prevent most pseudo-hazing. Baton Pass teams are often underrated and if unprepared you can be 6-0'd with ease. Relying on critical hits to break a team just doesn't cut it.

HECTOR
11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
The key to every BP team, is Ingrain. And eve more important than Ingrain, is how smart the user of the team is. Surprisingly, some of you might think that BP Teams are extremely easy to use, but they can be tough at times, and tend to fail because they are hard to use.

Jari
11-05-2008, 01:44 AM
It's kinda 50-50. You can possibly 6-0 a team with it or end up losing after all. It takes long to set up which means the opponent has a bigger chance to land a CH somewhere. People know you're use a BP team if they see a common BP leader like Ninjask, Umbreon and Smeargle and switch to something that has a chance to counter it.

Unideal
11-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I've never really used a chain team in D/P. In a lot of respects, the concept seems effective, but it really all depends on everything falling into place, such as a crit not taking out your Pokemon, a surprise Perish Song not happening when Mr. Mime isn't on the field (not that Perish Song's common), etc.

For instance, the posted team seems like it'd be broken up a lot by a lead Tar. Of course, you could bring out Lucario in an attempt to scare it out, but that exposes your primary reciever (don't let out that it's Lucario) and interrupts your set-up.

Personally, I feel that BP chains should be shorter, so that A) you can still get out a beastly sweeper with proper set-up and play, and B) you can use fall-backs in case something happens that you weren't prepared for.