PDA

View Full Version : Banned Moves Cup/Idea

mosers15
10-18-2008, 03:07 AM
After reading through the thread called "Underrated Moves" It came to my attention that a lot of moves are NEVER used. Pokemon has a lot of moves but only some are ever even considered for competitive play. So I thought about it and came up with the idea of taking away the common moves in movesets. Examples off the top of my head would be: Swords dance, fire blast, stealth rock, surf, close combat...etc
I think that if we created a tournament or league like little cup that did not use those common moves then maybe the overall access of moves will increase. Maybe we will see more acupuncture pokemon or maybe some mimic randomness, who knows? I just like the idea of branching out and being a little more creative. I would *with the help of others of course* create the ban list of OU moves if people like the idea.

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 03:09 AM
After reading through the thread called "Underrated Moves" It came to my attention that a lot of moves are NEVER used. Pokemon has a lot of moves but only some are ever even considered for competitive play. So I thought about it and came up with the idea of taking away the common moves in movesets. Examples off the top of my head would be: Swords dance, fire blast, stealth rock, surf, close combat...etc
I think that if we created a tournament or league like little cup that did not use those common moves then maybe the overall access of moves will increase. Maybe we will see more acupuncture pokemon or maybe some mimic randomness, who knows? I just like the idea of branching out and being a little more creative. I would *with the help of others of course* create the ban list of OU moves if people like the idea.

Your asking for a little leauge smogon has? sure go for it but i am not going to say anyone will actually play it as it will be an utter waste of time

mosers15
10-18-2008, 03:15 AM
.........did you read it? Its not LC its a different thing but has its own kind of metgame like LC has....smogon doesnt have something like this

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 03:17 AM
.........did you read it? Its not LC its a different thing but has its own kind of metgame like LC has....smogon doesnt have something like this

I know what u mean ffs i am just saying that if u took a poll, you would see most of us disagreeing or not caring as we would rather prefer the standerd metagame or what parts smogon hasen't put into ubers yet

mosers15
10-18-2008, 03:21 AM
I would have to disagree. People on the chat box seemed to like the idea of trying out a tournament or something where a list of common moves were banned and so the movesets had to be creative and unique. Its just something different and I want to see if its worth trying out

cat
10-18-2008, 03:32 AM
"Hey guys! Lets take the strategy out of pokemon so we can only use basic and boring moves, allowing some pokemon, such as celebi or cressila, to utterly wall the **** out of everything. cause you know we wont have strong enough moves to take them down. won't that be ******* AMAZING!?"

Eternal
10-18-2008, 03:33 AM
Except banning moves, you can ban movesets or certain analysis.

Like DD salamence, Choice scarf Heatran, SD Luke, etc. But, this tournament should be held after the TU Official Tournament. Since the sign up thread is like tomorrow.

mosers15
10-18-2008, 03:41 AM
yeah but i actually might make the list now and try it out....but not as a tournament.
And I could ban movesets by going onto smogon and banning any moveset there or on our analysis.....but that takes too long and someone can change one move and thus it wont be the same moveset....banning common moves covers for that while not completely eliminating some strategies

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 03:47 AM
Yeah it may take a while for volunteers to comeby

mosers15
10-18-2008, 03:49 AM
volunteers to help or playtest?

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 03:52 AM
volunteers to help or playtest?

probably both as 1 person cant do it alone unless he/she is a admin

mosers15
10-18-2008, 04:16 AM
yeah ill get to work tomorrow and see if anyone wants to try

zod
10-18-2008, 04:24 AM
Maybe... idk im kinda busy and a little bit to lazy to go through every analysis of pokemon. And celebi + cress couldnt wall you @ cat because they would be limited to moves also (maybe recover or rest).

mosers15
10-18-2008, 04:28 AM
I was going to take all of that intro consideration.....Celebi and Cress cant do **** is they dont have any of the moves they need to wall....such as ice beam grass knot recover moonlight whatever.......

I was even going to make a possible tier list for the pokemon because without moves to use some pokemon really become **** while others have huge movepools and can actually do things.....

its really a difficult concept but if i could pull it off it would be fun i think......variety makes pokemon afterall

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 04:38 AM
I was going to take all of that intro consideration.....Celebi and Cress cant do **** is they dont have any of the moves they need to wall....such as ice beam grass knot recover moonlight whatever.......

I was even going to make a possible tier list for the pokemon because without moves to use some pokemon really become **** while others have huge movepools and can actually do things.....

its really a difficult concept but if i could pull it off it would be fun i think......variety makes pokemon afterall

you have a twisted mind i mean changing the good pokes to bad ones! hope this never goes to standerd ladder

mosers15
10-18-2008, 04:41 AM
why the hell would it be standard....its just for more variety. Pokemon is like a deck of cards...You can play many games with the same deck of cards. Pokemon has many different things you can do with it in terms of versatility. Like ive said over and over again, this would be for fun and creativity....not for standard.

Elixir
10-18-2008, 07:31 AM
if a pokemon like blissey Walls too much in the game, then just ban those pokemon from play.

I say you have a good original idea here mosers! something that all pokemon sites lack these days :wink:

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 02:05 PM
if a pokemon like blissey Walls too much in the game, then just ban those pokemon from play.

I say you have a good original idea here mosers! something that all pokemon sites lack these days :wink:

lol we are the only pokemon site with pets....and u say we have no ideas

mosers15
10-18-2008, 03:09 PM
lol correction. We are the only site with pokemon pets named after people on the forums lol

Rock Head
10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
lol correction. We are the only site with pokemon pets named after people on the forums lol

Grammer nerd..>_>

mosers15
10-18-2008, 04:16 PM
how is that grammar wtf?

that was just the actual truth since marriland has pets too....

xXxAngelxXx
10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I'll test and maybe some movesset crap.

mosers15
10-18-2008, 08:10 PM
thanks soudns good to me

xXxAngelxXx
10-18-2008, 08:14 PM
yeah, GL

TODICHU
10-19-2008, 03:50 PM
this sounds pretty cool i would be happy to help :mrgreen:

mosers15
10-19-2008, 08:44 PM
awesome
eternal and I now are going to work on what moves/movesets can and cant be used
the official tourny will take up most of the tourny space though

polelover44
04-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Lets just ban all the OUs and put the Ubers in UU.
******* AMAZING!

i am cool
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Why the **** did you revive this old Topic <_<.