PDA

View Full Version : Blastoise Analysis

mosers15
10-23-2008, 08:05 PM
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp11/sshino_pic/POKEMON/Poke_mon%20Kanto%20region/9304c888aae4bb8da5c27251.jpg

Blastoise- The love Tortoise. He shoots you with his hydro cannons, spraying water all over the place. Blastoise also enjoys slow things. He hates comcast.
Tier- UU
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Movesets
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Rapid Spinner

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Impish / Bold 252HP/ 252 DEF / 4 Sp.DEF
Torrent
Rapid Spin
Waterfall / Hydro Pump / Surf
Toxic/Yawn
Protect

Switch in and SPIN. Nothing else really besides toxic/yawn

Hazer

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold 252HP / 252 DEF / 4 Sp.DEF
Torrent
Haze
Surf
Toxic
Mirror Coat/Protect

Blastoise makes a decent wall, and this is a set made to annoy the opponent. Clears the battlefield, allows for hazing, and lets you deal some indirect and direct damage. Impish is also an option, as far as natures go. When chosing Protect over Mirror Coat, make sure that Blastoise has extra Special Defense Evs to take some electric attacks. Also, be sure to check out Careful/Calm, depending on how you would use Blastoise. Also, Roar is an option over Haze, but is not really needed. Keep in mind that, when Choosing Waterfall, you should go Impish, and when choosing Hydro Pump, you should take Bold. Also, I prefer Toxic with Rapid Spin, and Haze with Yawn, but any combination thereof can work.
If you opt for Mirror Coat on the Hazing Set, be sure to essentially max out it's Sp.DEF (EVs and Nature). Protect in conjuction with Mirror Coat is an excellent idea if you're not too great at predicting.

Staller/Toxic Staller

Blastoise @Leftovers
Adamant 252 HP/128 Attack/64 Def/64 Special Def
Waterfall/Avalanche/Protect
Substitute
Focus Punch/Protect
Toxic/Yawn

Has the option of Punching after the Substitute or attacking. Yawn is for lolz. Toxic stall while doing damage.

Rest Talker Special Attacker

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Bold/Modest 252 HP/128 Def/128 Sp. Def
Rest
Sleep Talk
Surf
Ice Beam

This set gets walled by Electrics, but who would stay in on these anyway? Bleh.

Rest Talker Attacker

Blastoise @ Muscle Band/Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant 252 HP/252 Attack/4 HP
Rest
Sleep Talk
Waterfall
Brick Break / Ice Punch

This set is basically the same as the other RestTalk set, but in attack form.

Just thought I'd point it out:
Since you DO have Rest and Blastoise will most likely be UU / BL, Life Orb can be an option over Muscle Band.

Special Attacker

Blastoise @ Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
Timid / MODEST 252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro Pump
Focus Blast
HP Ground/Grass/Electric

This covers the weaknesses to Electrics and Grasses, while getting awesome STAB from Surf. Surf is the much better option for accuracy, but if you need the power, take Hydro Pump. Take Focus Blast, mainly because it is a powerful option and Blastoise is somewhat limited. HP Ground to cover electrics, Grass/Electric to cover other waters. Choice Scarf is an option if you really wanna surprise your opponent by outspeeding them.

IMO, Grass / Electric as you don't want to be walled by Water PKMN.
Electrics will already take a chunk of damage switching into a Specsed + STABed Hydro Pump.

Attacker

Blastoise @ Choice Band
Jolly / ADAMANT 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Waterfall
Avalanche/Ice Punch
Earthquake
Aqua Jet

Basic dissection of Blasoise and his best Physical Moves. Aqua Jet hits quickly, Waterfall for STAB, Avalanche is nice, and Earthquake rounds out the set.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Smex

Blastoise @ Life Orb
Brave 138 Hp 172 Attack 200 Sp atk
Torrent
Aqua Jet
Earthquake
Surf
Ice beam

Personally my favorite set. Blastoise can do some damage with these 4 moves and the set is extremely unexpected. It might not look like it works...but it works lol
It even hits Lanturn which will want to wall you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Fun Novelty Section~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SubPuncher/Sleep Talker

Blastoise @ Muscle Band/Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Adamant 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Speed
Substitute
Focus Punch
Rest
Sleep Talk

This set will fail, but I find it interesting. This set allows you to do the RestTalk thing, as well as the SubPunch thing. Chesto kills your first rest, and you can jump right back into SubPunching. I find it interesting, but it would never really work, other than for fun (and dying).

Novelty Set: FLINGZOR

Blastoise @ Iron Ball/Flame Orb
Adamant 252 Attack/252 HP/4 ???
Fling
Waterfall
Avalanche/Ice Punch
Earthquake

This set is just meant to be for fun. It isn't exactly the...most effective. This set would hit for some pretty good damage…It would also go last in almost all situations. This may be a decent set to use Fling, and possibly set up Substitute and Focus Punch as well, as it will go last anyway. This is a novelty at best.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Counters-
Waters stall him very well, and Lanturn is probably his best counter except for the few with Earthquake. Toxic blows Blastoise's tanking potential if he's not using Rest. Rotom blocks Rapid Spin and has STAB Thunderbolt to use. Other Ghosts (Banette and Froslass, just to name a few) can block Rapid Spin too, but are less effective at that. Sableye does pretty well with Recover though, and can Knock Off your Leftovers. Grassers do well; there's always Meganium, but in the case of a Toxic Blastoise, Vileplume is preferred. STAB Thunderbolts tend not to be taken likely, but good luck getting the frail Manectric to come into Blastoise. Grumpig and Hypno tend to have few problems walling Blastoise.
Credit to smogon for counters

Elixir
10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
WoW! Some really interesting sets here :D

Kuja20
10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Absolutely fantastic analysis Mosers. I love Blastoise in UU its just smex.

I do only have one bit of critizism: the format of your sets. Could you keep it to this format or similar please?

Pokemon @ Item/Item
Trait: -----(Only if needed)
EVs / EVs / EVs
Nature (+Stat, -Stat)
- Move
- Move
- Move
- Move

Something like this will be great. Otherwise very nice work!

Stick
10-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Cool mosers

mosers15
10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
yeah kuja i recently changed my format for my upcmong analysis.....i didnt lik the way I was doing it.