PDA

View Full Version : Mewtwo Analysis

Dimes
11-21-2008, 02:07 AM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Omisgurl/Mewtwo-1.png

Mewtwo, the "best Pokemon ever". Seriously, it is not the best, but one of the best. Mewtwo was created on Cinnabar Island in the Kanto Region and is a clone of the elusive Mew. The creature was created from DNA from Mew's eyelash and Mewtwo had grown along with a child clone and soon became friends. After Mewtwo had grown, the child had left it's life, and now suffered from amnesia, in a blind rage, Mewtwo destroyed the lab and fled, to be seen only by a select few. Mewtwo has one of the largest histories of any pokemon and has 2 main stories of how it was made. One is from the manga, while the other is from the anime.

Mewtwo is in the Uber tier. Using Mewtwo in your team makes it an uber tier team automatically.

Overall, Mewtwo is one of the best sweepers, and is known for it's destruction in the uber metagame.

~Analysis~

CMer

Mewtwo:@ Leftovers
Pressure
Timid 42 hp, 252 spatt, 216 spd
-Calm Mind
-Taunt
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam

Standard Mewtwo, Taunt prevents phazing from Lugia and Giratina and Aura Sphere hits Darkrai, Dialga, Arceus, Tyranitar and Heatran when Ice Beam hits Lugia, Giratina, Rayquaza, Garchomp, Groudon, Dugtrio, Lati@s and Arceus.

Choice Specs

Mewtwo:@ Choice specs
Pressure
Modest/Timid 252 spatt, 252 spd, 6 spdef
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder/ Grass knot
-Flamethrower/Ice Beam

A powerful threat, Specs makes this thing lethal to face. Shadow ball and Aura Sphere hit everything for neutral, while Thunder hits Specs Kyogre, Grass Knot takes on both Groudon and Kyogre, But Thunder gets 100% Accuracy, and has a good type. Flamethrower hits hard with Groudon's sun, but Ice Beam is recommended for coverage.

Choice bander

Mewtwo:@ Choice band
Hasty nature
252 att, 252 spd, 6 spatt
-Ice punch
-Brick break
-Shadow ball/Trick
-Self-Destruct

Physical Mewtwo. With Platinum, Mewtwo gets Trick, which can really spice up battles now. Ice punch for the usual coverage, as well as Brick Break and shadow ball. Self-Destruct for the last stand. No one really expects physical Mewtwo, so it gets the element of surprise going.

Mixtwo

Mewtwo:@ Life orb
Hasty nature
252 spatt, 212 spd, 48 att
-Recover/ Self Destruct
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Punch
-Shadow Ball

Awesome coverage again, as some of you may have noticed, I keep using the same coverage, why? Because it still hits a lot in ubers. This the mix set, and the only reason Recover is there is for Bliss and friends who come to try and wall you to death until you heal, screwing up plans. Self Destruct could be used over Recover, but whatever.

^Bulk Up ^
Mewtwo: @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 att, 32 hp, 226spd
-Bulk Up
-Taunt/ Self destruct
-Ice punch
-Earthquake

There are more options that can be used, but this is the best one. Thunder Punch can be used for Skarm, Manaphy, Kyogre and Ho-oh. Stone edge hits Lugia for a possible 2hko after one boost. Taunt works well here, for Giratina and Lugia would spoil the fun without it.

Dual screen
Mewtwo:@ light clay
Jolly
252 hp, 6 spdef, 252 spd
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Taunt
-Self Destruct

Set courtesy of smogon. This is just like the uber deoxes-E lead, but mewtwo is bulkier and has Self Destruct to tear down something and provide you a switch.

Light Screen

Mewtwo:@ leftovers
Timid
252 hp, 220 spdef, 32 spd
-Light Screen
-Recover
-Will-o-Wisp
-Taunt

Taunt to prevent more phazers, will-o-wisp turns this into a mixed wall. Light screen allows you to survive scarf and specs palkias' spacial rend and specs dialgas' Draco Meteor. Set courtesy of smogon.

Gimmick rest talker

Mewtwo:@ Lum berry
Calm nature
252 hp, 220 spdef, 36 spatt
-Sleep talk
-Rest
-Recycle
-Ice beam/Counter

Yeah, this is gimmick. Rest talk to heal, but with a twist: Recycle allows you to renew your lum berry, which wakes you up instantly. Counter eats physical attackers but ice beam is way more reliable. This can givwe you so many wins because the opponent is laughing so hard that they can't press the button.

~Opinion~

Mewtwo really is one of the best sweepers in pokemon, and not much can wall this beast of an uber. Sadly, Mewtwo doesn't have the best typing in ubers, as it is the common psychic. Metwo can be revenge killed nicely by duggy too.

Other options

Taunt on the mixed set could work, to stop Lugia from spoiling your sweep, but first it is going to have to take in an ice beam or punch. Aqua Tail doesn't hit anything, but I don't want anyone to be on my cae about it lol. Although, in rain, it can hit the psychics hard.

Counters

I would believe that Bronzong could counter Mewtwo, if the latter's set is predicted and that prediction is correct. Other than that, there isn't much that can counter Mewtwo, but it can be revenge killed by Dugtrio and Deoxes-A, provided that Mewtwo isn't some Bulk Up set. But honestly, the only way to be sure is to have multiple counters to Mewtwo's sets.

mosers15
11-21-2008, 04:05 AM
theres many more sets to cover....and the history of mewtwo depressed me since thats not mewtwos actual history...in the manga*which is generally more factual and based on the game*, the history is a lot different...just a nitpick....

Work on spelling...really...

Kuja20
11-21-2008, 10:59 AM
1. You need more sets, there are more than what you are covering here.

2. Please sort out your spelling, we need analysis that are correctly spelt and grammatically correct.

3. Also add more bulk into your analysis, it isn't hard. Explain every single bit about the set, i.e The Item, Ability (if needed), The EV spread and the moves. Tell us why they are there.

4. Not always neccessary, but you can put in some Damage Calculations to back up your analysis, not everyone does calcs, but something that may be helpful.

Thats about it, sorry to be so critical, but we need good analysis that is well written and throroughly explained. Sadly, James will look at it and give it an automatic thumbs up, because hes too nice to be critical.

Dimes
11-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes, I've already spotted a typo, its not so much my spelling, but my grammar. Mosers, its the movie Mewtwo Returns that I got the info from, where Mewtwo has it's history shown. Well, atleast that's how I remember it, since I haven't seen it for a while.

Also, Mewtwo has so many sets it's not funny. I just left out the Bulk Up set. And the screens are lol sets.

mosers15
11-21-2008, 11:35 PM
theres a few more besides that too....include as many sets as possible....

beaconjames
11-22-2008, 12:14 AM
good analysis but you could do more sets then that.

Dimes
11-22-2008, 12:57 AM
THE ONLY OTHER VIABLE SETS I COULD FIND/ MAKE WERE POSTED. I do not think that those screen sets are viable at all.

mosers15
11-22-2008, 06:11 PM
the screen sets are viable if you use them right...and anyway....even gimmick sets are posted on analysis...post as many as you can...just make sure they arent useless....

Dimes
11-22-2008, 06:35 PM

You are really trying my patience now mosers. >=[

But fine. I will attemp to create ONE MORE set, but mostl likley, I won't be able to. Oh and btw, I believe that I have more sets than smogon does. Or atleast, around that amount.

Edit: I have eight, which is one less, and smogon's sub set is basicly the same set as the taunt one, so I listed it under the taunt CM set.

Dimes
11-22-2008, 07:00 PM

I'm thinking then something like this then.

Mewtwo:@ Lum berry
Calm nature
252 hp, 220 spdef, 36 spatt
-Sleep talk
-Rest
-Recycle
-Ice beam/Counter

mosers15
11-26-2008, 12:09 AM
rofl dude im serious, that set is win xD

Ive never seen that kind of thing....

Also im going through and fine tuning your Analysis by adding a picture and making the titles normal

Dimes
11-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I would appreciate the picture, but the Title was meant to be like that.

mosers15
11-26-2008, 12:44 AM
yeah but the weird title doesnt help anyone convenience wise....
sorry

AbsolDeath
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
I think you should make a variant on the CMer set which has Recover on it.

Dimes
02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I would have to use a bulkier spread to take advantage of recover. And I'm not a fan of no Taunt CMtwo

TODICHU
02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
huh? why restalk if you just gun recycle the lum berry?

Kuja20
02-09-2009, 11:45 PM

2. Please sort out your spelling, we need analysis that are correctly spelt and grammatically correct.

3. Also add more bulk into your analysis, it isn't hard. Explain every single bit about the set, i.e The Item, Ability (if needed), The EV spread and the moves. Tell us why they are there.

4. Not always neccessary, but you can put in some Damage Calculations to back up your analysis, not everyone does calcs, but something that may be helpful.

Thats about it, sorry to be so critical, but we need good analysis that is well written and throroughly explained. Sadly, James will look at it and give it an automatic thumbs up, because hes too nice to be critical.

i am cool
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Dimes
04-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Well, why do I have to say the obvious, it's not like TU's full of idiots. Besides me of course.

Oh and Kuja, I've posted basicly all sets that could actually be used. I can update these if you want though.

oh wait that's right, there is no other options. Aqua tail is obsolete

i am cool
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
The Analysis are meant to be looked at by nubs or some semi-experienced players. You're not making Analysis for experienced players / Vets...<_<...Other Options means stuff that is terrible but CAN work at times. So you should mention Aqua Tail. However, something that isn't Other Options worth is Strength, for example. It's really going to be a pain Revamping your Analysis (no offense <3), so help me, or us, out by explaining stuff more thoroughly and attempting to use correct grammar.

We give constructive criticism because we care.

<3

Dimes
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, I know you do. That's why I love constructive critisism. <3

But really, there's no use for Aqua tail. There are better options for it, unlike rotom-W, and it doesn't hit much. Aqua Tail hits what that the other moves don't?

i am cool
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
That's why you should mention it in Other Options...because it sucks! Strength's fail level is higher than Aqua Tail's on a Pokemon such as Mewtwo (or any Pokemon for that matter haha), hence why you don't mention it in nearly any Analysis. Ever. Other Options is IMO the most misunderstood place in an Analysis. There's a huge margin between good moves (which go on the movesets of the Pokemon), mediocre (which go in Other Options) and absolutely horrid, abysmal and terrible (which get no mention at all).

ekspo
04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
You still havent explained why you have Sleep Talk on that gimmick set.. your recycling the Lum Berry after all.. You should have Counter AND Ice Beam on the set.. get rid of Sleep Talk its pretty useless..

Dimes
04-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Sleep talk gives you a good chance of waking up early, with recycle, or hitting the opponent with something.

i am cool
04-21-2009, 01:27 PM
You're going to recycle the Lum Berry which is going to make you avoid Sleep...over and over again. It's pretty useless.

Dimes
04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Recycle can;t wake you up when you are sleeping. Sleep talk can select recyle in sleep. It's mewtwo going green. But I'll add aura sphere.

i am cool
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
You're not understanding...Mewtwo is going to have an Endless amount of Lum Berries, so it's not going to even be sleeping <_<...Lum Berry is being Recycled, and as such you will wake up every time without even being put asleep...over and over and over again...How more clear can I make this LOL?...

ekspo
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Rofl Fatman you dont get it do you? this is how it will go.

1.Mewtwo has Lum berry.
2.Mewtwo does rest, mewtwo uses lum berry to wake up
3.Mewtwo uses recycle to get Lum Berry back.

Steps 1-3 are repeated and repeated when neccassary. Have Counter AND Ice Beam on the set, get rid of Sleep Talk... It doesnt get used as you wont be a sleep. WOWOW.. dumb..

Dimes
04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Sleep talk can choose recycle in sleep, infact, it's a 50% chance of it happening, and therefore a 50% chance of you waking up. And calling me dumb is the stupidest thing I've heard from a person calling themself mature.

Oh and Iac, rest heals you, but Lum Berry wakes you up after healing, just to clarify.

Milos
04-25-2009, 12:05 AM
I think eXpo is insulting you for the way you flamed him...how does it feel being on the other side?

i am cool
04-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Fatman, you're the one who's wrong and isn't getting it. No more posts shall be made on this argument, just move on and spot other flaws.

<3

Statigar
05-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Bump - this is crap Dimes... Please update with more information!!!

Dimes
05-22-2010, 01:31 AM
this is also old. i don't play ubers any more lol

Statigar
06-01-2010, 06:35 PM
I dont care - finish it.

bobphillip
06-04-2010, 12:42 AM
mewtwo has access to SelfDestruct. Which is very good on a Full Out attacker.

jebroni
07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Mewtwo is missing some sets and actual moves in this analysis.

First, if you don't want to add this all up on the Mixtwo, then at least make a new moveset:

Mewtwo:@ Life orb
Hasty nature
252 spatt, 212 spd, 48 att
-Self Destruct
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast

Also don't you think the dual screen and light screen moveset is sort of a gimmick? Mewtwo is a useless dual screener if Deoxys-E just taunts it everytime, and the light screen version looks useless. Doesn't accomplish anything other than putting up a screen.

The resttalker set is not even a gimmick. Gimmicks at least have some chance of working. That set... you throw in a something that can calm mind and the resttalker Mewtwo is telling it to buff up.

Also, why do you have some sets as 216 speed and some with 212? If it has room to have more speed, that's up to the battler to add 1 or 2 extra, not the analysis.

Dimes
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm going to post that his is 2 years dead. I'm not revamping it and I'd appreciate if this was closed.