PDA

View Full Version : Slowbro ?_? (C+P'd from my Marr topic)

Elevator Music
12-16-2008, 03:05 AM
Original link: http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... 3&t=298565 (http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=298565)
---
http://pokebeach.com/images/gallery/sugimori/80.png
You love him, who doesn't? But he's just not good enough for the metagame today, is he? Think again.

http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/080-m.png
Drag You Down to my [Speed] Level! @ Leftovers
Bold | Own Tempo
216 HP, 252 Def, 40 SpAtk
- Surf
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam / HP [Electric]

Seems like a standard bulky water, right? Except Suicune and Swampert don't get that nice recovery move. Vaporeon does, but it doesn't get that kinda cool Thunder Wave. And none of them get Fire Blast, which I love to flaunt on my Slowbro for several reasons. Strangely enough, there's no mention of Thunder Wave in any Slowbro analysis I can find (Well the MCP DOES mention it actually... once). No mention of Fire Blast or Flamethrower (yes it gets that too and I'll touch on it later) is understandable, it didn't have much merit during early D/P.

Thunder Wave is an excellent move, and Slowbro is no exception. It makes a great switchin to Heatran (the only thing that can beat it is Specs Fire Blast/Earth Power, which is uncommon), so why not cripple it with Thunder Wave if it's dumb enough to stay in? Or cripple a switchin like Scizor, Zapdos or Tyranitar? Or a Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite setting up DD's?

Fire Blast isn't as novelty as you'd believe it to be, especially when combined with Thunder Wave. It allows Slowbro to be a pretty good switchin into to Lucario. Also, two common switchins to Slowbro happen to be Celebi and Scizor. Scizor is (obviously) OHKOed with any Fire move, letting it act in the same way Thunder Wave+Earth Power Celebi acts against Heatran (which was never declared to be an unreasonable option). However, unlike the Celebi-Heatran analogy, Scizor can't come in anyways, as it can't OHKO Slowbro, not even with CB X-Scissor (though with prior damage it obviously will). Celebi falls short of a 2HKO, but it won't like coming in repeatedly. You can be a decent switchin to Metagross (though you don't need Fire Blast/Flamethrower to beat it), though I wouldn't reccomend it, since it can beat you with Thunderpunch (though without CB it won't 2HKO) and Explosion or cripple you with Trick. Flamethrower can obviously be used over Fire Blast for guarenteed hits against that Scizor or Luke or Metagross. However, keep in mind you won't beat OHKO Lucario with Flamethrower unless you come in on Close Combat.

That's not to say you can't use Ice Beam or HP [Electric] though. Ice Beam let's you easily beat the Dragons. It also lets you hit Celebi on a switch, and hits Zapdos hardest, another pokemon who will commonly come in to you. HP [Electric] means you beat Gyara, and hits opposing Bulky Waters (obviously not Pert though) hardest, unless you want to run Grass Knot.

Best Machamp counter in the game too(especially if you run Psychic somewhere). ; )

Damage Calculations

Against Celebi

Fire Blast vs. 252/0 Celebi~ (44.55% - 52.97%)
Flamethrower/Ice Beam vs. 252/0 Celebi~ (35.64% - 42.08%)
----
Grass Knot vs. Slowbro~ (53.51% - 63.90%) [Not that you should stay in after you Fire Blast it anyways]

Both fire Blast and Flamethrower/Ice Beam are big enough dents to make Celebi think twice about switching in.

Against Lucario

Fire Blast vs. 4/0 Lucario~ (85.11% - 100.71%) [You should always win barring Def drops from Crunch or crits]
Flamethrower vs. 4/0 Lucario~ (68.09% - 80.14%) [Guarenteed OHKO after a Def drop]
Surf vs 4/0 Lucario~ (51.06% - 59.93%) [2HKO]
----
Adamant 252 LO Crunch vs. Slowbro~ (38.96% - 46.23%)
+2 Crunch vs. Slowbro~ (77.40% - 91.43%) [Not a OHKO even with SR+Lefties factored in]
Jolly 252 LO Close Combat vs. Slowbro~ (19.74% - 23.38%)

Against Heatran

Surf vs. 4/0 Heatran~ (62.96% - 74.69%)
----
252 Fire Blast vs. Slowbro~ (30.65% - 36.10%)
Specs Modest 252 Fire Blast vs. Slowbro~ (50.39% - 59.22%)

Everything else should be irrelevant... Earth Power does the same amount of damage as Fire Blast, everything barring Hidden Power [Grass/Electric] does less out of the somewhat common moves, and those aren't terribly common anyways.

Against Gyarados

HP [Electric] vs. 4/0 Gyarados~ (63.86% - 75.90%) [easy 2HKO]
HP [Electric] vs. 156/0 Gyarados~ (57.30% - 68.11%)
----
Adamant 252 LO Earthquake vs. Slowbro~ (26.49% - 31.17%)
+1 Earthquake vs. Slowbro~ (39.74% - 46.75%)

Against Salamence

Ice Beam vs. 4/0 Salamence~ (103.61% - 122.89%)
Ice Beam vs. 152/252 Salamence~(70.46% - 83.47%) [~58% chance of a OHKO with SR, while LO recoil will kill it]
----
Adamant 252 LO Outrage vs. Slowbro~ (50.65% - 59.48%)
+1 Outrage vs. Slowbro~ (75.06% - 88.83%)
Adamant 252 LO Dragon Claw vs. Slowbro~ (33.51% - 39.74%)

Against Scizor

Adamant 252 LO X-Scissor vs. Slowbro~ (65.97% - 77.92%)
CB X-Scissor vs. Slowbro~ (75.32% - 89.35%)

Scizor can't come in.

Against Tyranitar (though you shouldn't be!)

Surf vs. 176/0 Tyranitar~ (37.40% - 40.52%) [I think?]
---
CB Adamant Crunch vs. Slowbro~ (76.88% - 90.91%)
CB Adamant Pursuit vs. Slowbro~ (38.96% - 45.71%)

You really shouldn't be in against Tyranitar unless it comes into you, so those are your options. Stay in and take a Crunch/Pursuit, or switch and take a Pursuit (which is equivalent to staying in and taking a Crunch).

-------

Slowbro is a team player, but what can work well with it? Well, here's some good pokemon that deserve a mention (only two, figure out the rest yourselves ?_?):

http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/448-m.png
Lucario really appreciates being on the same team as Thunder Wave Slowbro. When Salamence/Heatran/Zapdos are paralyzed or fainted, it has a much easier time sweeping. Most Fighting types in general like this, like Breloom, Heracross, and to a lesser extent Machamp. Scizor is also included.

http://www.serebii.net/platinum/pokemon/248-m.png
Slowbro doesn't like the SS, but CBTyranitar does a number on most switchins, including but not limited to Celebi, Zapdos, Rotom, and Blissey. Opposing Tyranitars are a pain in the butt though. It also likes having something to switch to after it's locked into Pursuit, so a pokemon like Lucario/Gyarados/Salamence can't set up on it. As a bonus, it's a general pain to most CMers (Jirachi, I'm looking at you), which commonly try to set up on poor Slowbro.

So that's Slowbro. If you haven't noticed, he can only be used with proper prediction, lest you bring him in on an Outrage from Salamence and not a Dragon Dance, or a Crunch from Lucario. However, the benefits he brings to your team can be excellent. Note that's not the only set you can use on Slowbro. A Calm Mind set warrants mention, though is is pretty outclassed by Jiarchi and/or Lati@s. He can also run Yawn or Toxic as a different stausing option, while the former is also obviously good at phazing.

Discuss?

RaveSage
12-16-2008, 03:39 AM
It seems like the OP didn't factor in a Flash Fire boosted Fire Blast. Assuming your opponent catches onto you running Fire Blast, it could be a big problem.
Modest Specs Heatran Fire Blast vs. Slowbro: 75% - 88%
Which is devastating assuming prior damage/Stealth Rocks.
Also, he doesn't factor in SD Scizor. Which always OHKOs with X-Scissor after one SD while running adamant. Meanwhile, Slowbro can attempt to 2HKO with surf (and fail, assuming Scizor doesn't switch in on surf) or risk being hit after t-waving Scizor while it's setting up.
Also, SpecsLuke, though seemingly uncommon, is able to nearly OHKO Slowbro as well with Dark Pluse. I' sure there are more things to point out, but I've already taken a lot of points worth bringing up...

The set does seem very interesting and I've used Fire Blast Slowbro before myself for a brief time, yet at the same time, it feels like something else could do the job much better.

Elevator Music
12-17-2008, 02:24 AM
You are correct against Heatran, however you shouldn't be switching into Scizor so SD should not be a problem. If you run a Fire move and it switches in, you attack. If not, you get the hell out.

Dark Pulse Lucario is a potential problem, you are correct. Though I think it's fair to point out you are only like 5 or 6HKOed againt Aura Sphere (24.42% - 28.83%), which it tends to use first (or HP [Ice], I almost ALWAYS use an Ice move first turn Luke is out). You can always predict around it, and once I see either Aura Sphere or HP [Ice] I'd be cautious switching Slowbro in just because of that.

Slowbro is difficult to fit in teams, but if you do he's generally not a member that will let you down. However your last statement is hard to disagree with, I actually feel the same way.

i am cool
12-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm really going to start using slowbro now...We'll add this set in the analysis section soon as well..

I was aware he could learn both fire moves, but i thought they were useless...not until plat at least...with scizor being used like 10000 times according to usage stats on smogon.

Also it comes with the amazing surprise factor...hmmm...well...i'll test it out for ya...this is why slowbro should be ou's.

Tony32
12-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Quite interesting pokemon.....Im gonna start using him to test him out a bit. But wouldnt slowking be the samething?

TODICHU
12-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Quite interesting pokemon.....Im gonna start using him to test him out a bit. But wouldnt slowking be the samething?

slowking is more special oriented rather than psyical

Tony32
12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Man i swear i tested slowbrow out.And let me tell you something this guy is pure domination i mean it's great This thing is so Ou.

i am cool
12-31-2008, 03:42 PM
The thing is, hector's team has slowbro in it...so expect slowbro to become ou soon as everyone is copying hector's rmt..

RaveSage
01-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, despite what anyone might think about Slowbro's usefulness in OU, once people see some damage calcs and a top notch smogoner using it, expect some unsettling results. That's what happened to Flygon anyway. <_<

Dimes
01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
#1: I don't copy Hector's teams.

#2: Tony, it is already BL. I may have gotten a misconception, but it would seem that you think that BL and OU are determined on power. BL and OU are actually determined on usage, not power

i am cool
01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Fatman you're an idiot ._.

Why don't all of you ******* idiots read kuja's tier listing guide to see ho tiers are made?

Bl is a ban list for uu, it's not determined by opwer or any ****, it's a mother ******* ban list for uu.

Ou is determined by power...NOT BL....Learn some **** before posting...

Elevator Music
01-01-2009, 09:20 PM
It's so nice. I feel like I started this. :)

I made my topic on Marr, which TPD saw. Then he included Slowbro in his team. Meanwhile, he happens to have HECTOR as a tutor. HECTOR puts up the RMT for TPD, which everyone sees.

YADORAN power!

Tony32
01-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Listen fatman i know it's Bl im just saying that it Very useful and strong like a Ou pokemon. Oh and another thing IAC can copy hector's teams Dont everyone do it? I swear i say about 30 people with this team on Smogon..It's not like it have a copyright on it...

TODICHU
01-05-2009, 06:38 PM
iac is even moar retarded as tiers are based on usage

Blissey > Tentacruel

Usage FTW

8)

i am cool
02-08-2009, 07:46 AM
NOt all tiers are based on usage.

And I meant that OU is based on usage, type0.

Dimes
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Fatman you're an idiot ._.

Why don't all of you ******* idiots read kuja's tier listing guide to see ho tiers are made?

Bl is a ban list for uu, it's not determined by opwer or any ****, it's a mother ******* ban list for uu.

Ou is determined by power...NOT BL....Learn some **** before posting...

So, Dugtrio was UU before? So, Azumarril is UU? So, Lickilicky's actually UU? And why would BL not be determined by power compared to UU? BL wasn't just some random guy saying "I don't like these Pokemon, so no one can use them." Or "These get used more, so they are banned." Banning something because of usage makes no sense. Otherwise, if everyone used Silcoon, then it'd be BL, same tier with Raikou, right?

You've contradicted yourself before on such a topic, did you switch sides because the voices in your head were screaming to do t while you were at Walmart? You've made no sense.

polelover44
05-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I can't believe I never commented on this on Marr so here it is:
Awesome.

ekspo
05-12-2009, 06:18 AM
wow fatman shut up imo.. its a 6 month old thread and iac said that like 3 months ago.. its over you always have to push things further... oh and dont we already have a slowbro analysis? what use is this?

Dimes
05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
And I said that 1 month ago lolhypo.

And still, then what is the point of BL? If it isn't determined by power, then why is it banned from UU? BL is determined by power because BL= OU. BL is only existing because it is so people know which threats to look out for.

UU<-------------BL<-------------OU<-----------------Ubers
.........Power..........Usage.........Power....... .......