View Full Version : Victreebel Analysis

zod
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Victreebel

http://www.kidslearnfromplay.com/wordmatch/zhiying/pokemon/Victreebel.png

Summary
Victreebel:
Most used Victreebel Set:
The Sunny Day set is most popular, with Sunny Day/ Solar Beam/ Sleep Powder/ Hidden Power [Fire]. Good with setting the sun and probably an essential poke to a Sunny Day team.

Usual Counters:
Fire Pokes wall it in general. Heatran fully walls almost every move in its arsenal. Steels can take it down if it doesn’t carry Hidden Power Fire. Flying and Psychic can pose a threat to Victreebel also. With its weak defenses anything super effective can take this guy out.

Victreebel is used on:
Sunny Day or just a regular team. Sets depend which team your running.

Sunny Day
@ Heat Rock/ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 120 HP/136 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Solarbeam
- Sleep Powder/ Hidden Power [Ice]/ Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]/ Sludge Bomb

The main goal of this set is to obviously get sunny day up. Sleep Powder a slower poke then you that might be troublesome late on. Then Sunny Day, after sunny day is up you can start demolishing your opponent’s team with a stab Solar Beam and having speed faster than electrodes. Pretty scary huh? Hidden Power Ice is meant for Altaria. Hidden Power Fire is good for hitting steels and other grass types, and gets an extra boost in the sun. Though it leaves you open for Fire types to come in and abuse the sun. While Sludge Bomb just hits other things that Solar Beam can’t hit for neutral damage. But with Sludge Bomb steels can wall you easily. So there are plusses and minuses with either one you choose.

Special Attacker
@ Leftovers
EVs: 76 HP/180 Spd/252 SAtk
- Energy Ball/ Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder/ Stun Spore
- Hidden Power [Ice]/ Growth

This set is a fragile special sweeper with mediocre speed. Energy Ball/ Grass Knot and Sludge Bomb for stab, Sleep Powder for putting something that can wall you to sleep or have a fast sweeper crippled by Stun Spore. HP Ice for the Altaria’s or Growth to boost up your special attack. You need to have reasonably good prediction for this set to work out.

Choice Specs
@ Choice Specs
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Give Victreebel Choice Specs if you don’t want to set up with Growth. Having a decent 492 Special Atk. is pretty nice but with a meager 221 speed. But having a nice stab Leaf Storm and Sludge Bomb make up for it. Hidden Power Ice explains itself and Sleep Powder is placed there for mostly a filler and being able to sleep something.

Swords Dance Sweeper V.1
@ Focus Sash/ Life Orb/ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)/ Naughty nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Sleep Powder/ Hidden Power [Fire]/ Synthesis
- Leaf Blade

First Sleep Powder or just automatically Swords Dance and go on from there. If you do have Sleep Powder sleep a poke. They switch out and you get a Swords Dace up. Then you Swords Dance again if you can. They attack you, sash activates. Now if the sun is up and you have +4 attack you’ll be looking at a Victreebel with 478 speed and 1356 attack. This is one of the most dangerous Victreebel sets and for good reason. Hidden Power Fire is for the steels walling you. And Synthesis is healing up from Life Orb damage or from your opponents attacks. Even without the sun shining this set is pretty lethal.

Swords Dance Sweeper V.2
@ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Substitute
- Encore/ Sucker Punch

A great set that might need a little luck to work. First you Substitute on a status move or something that wont break the sub. Then Encore and then they’re most likely to switch out and you get a free SD up. So now you have +2 attack and a sub up. You can go for another or just straight out attack. If you hate having only a grass move as your only then you can go for sucker punch cause they have to break the sub.

Support
@ Leftovers
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)/ Adamant nature
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Energy Ball/Leaf Blade
- Sludge Bomb/ Poison Jab

It’s hard to use this poke for support with not the greatest defenses. Though this poke can abuse Knock Off and can put a poke to sleep. Energy Ball and Sludge Bomb are just there for type coverage. You could take one of his moves to have “double status” but its best to have two moves so that Victreebel isn’t easily walled.

Other Options:
There are not that many options for this venus flytrap plant. You could do Rest/Sleep Talk/ Energy Ball/ Sludge Bomb but with its weak defenses its not going to really help. If Heatran or other Fire pokes pose a problem to you, then just slap on a HP ground.

Opinion:
Can be a threat to any team but needs to have a good time to set up. This poke can’t really be used for being a wall with its meek defenses and have to be careful for this thing not to take a costly hit. If you plan well and use this poke to its full advantages then you have one tough Victreebel.

i am cool
01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Very very nice analysis zod...Keep em coming.

zod
02-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Is this analysis so great it doesnt even need to be commented on? Anyways i'll try to work on an analysis for 2 other pokes and get them up by next week.

AbsolDeath
02-08-2009, 04:19 AM
Pretty good write-up. Just one thing I noticed. I believe on the Swords Dance V1 set, you mentioned HP Fire as an option to hit pesky Steel types who otherwise wall the set. Except you also suggested using an Adamant nature. Using Adamant with HP Fire will lower HP Fire's fire power =P. And in the other sets you mentioned Victrebells frail defenses meaning it can't exactly take a hit. So adding these elements together, perhaps you should suggest a Lonely/Naughty nature as an alternative if you choose to use HP Fire.

Times like this I wish HP was physical :(.

But anyway, good work :).

Luv~
02-08-2009, 04:59 AM
cool

i am cool
02-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Absol is Correct, Steelix is 2HKOed if you use a Naughty Nature and HP Fire.

AbsolDeath
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
heh, I just happened to notice something else.

Support
@ Leftovers
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)/Adamant nature (+Atk -SpAtk)
- Sleep Powder
- Knock Off
- Energy Ball/Leaf Blade
- Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab

I just listed some things I think might help out this set. Although you have Energy Ball here, you may have certain troubles against the likes of Milotic so that may be a reason to put Leaf Blade over Energy Ball. I'm not sure if Victre even learns Poison Jab but there may be something that would be harder hit with Poison Jab so if not the first option, if could be an alternative. And if you're going for these 2 moves, I'd suggest using Adamant so both attacks aren't hindered by the Modest nature. I won't suggest a mixed set with Energy Ball + Poison Jab or Leaf Blade + Sludge Bomb because that would require either lowering your defenses or speed. Seeing as that base 70 speed may come in handy [sarcasm], you won't want to make him slower. Hope I helped.