PDA

View Full Version : Toxicroak Set

PhoenixClaw
02-14-2009, 05:12 PM
I've looked up the Toxicroak analysis and noticed that no one focused on it's potential to become a physical wall. (I know that sounds insane, but hear me out)

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
Nature: Impish (+Def/-SpA)
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Bulk Up
Rain Dance
Sucker Punch
Poison Jab/Cross Chop

Given the EV spread, Toxi's Defense is still only at 251 when it first comes in, thus its vital you get in at least one Bulk Up before something big and nasty tries to smite you. After that, squeeze in a Rain Dance for a total of 18% HP recovery and work from there.

Your best bet is to come in on a water attack and Bulk Up as they switch out. One Bulk Up allows you to survive most any physical attack save Explosion, giving you the opportunity to attack or go for more stat boosts as you see fit. Poison/Fighting offers resistances to Stealth Rock first and foremost as well as Fighting/Rock/Dark to name about half, quite a nice benefit considering the current metagame.

The choice between Jab and Chop is yours, as you'll be walled by Steels with one and walled by bulky Fliers with the other. Concerning Sucker Punch, it may be nice to know that two Bulk Ups allows for a OHKO on Latias as well as take care of the glaring weakness to Psychics in general. 3 Bulk Ups seem to be the general 'tipping point' where damage received is outclassed by damage recovered, so keep that in mind as well. (It's also the point where having an opponent quit in the middle of a match becomes more commonplace. ^^)

With an immunity to Water and Toxic, resistances to some of the most common attack types in the game and a moveset that will most likely catch an opponent off-guard, I recommend you try it before you knock it, as I've 6-0'd enough teams (including exploding Metagross which only takes 60% at 3 BUs) to say with confidence this set can be brutally efficient when used correctly.

Statigar
02-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Looking good =D

PhoenixClaw
02-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Rack up another 6-0 sweep and three mid-match disconnects thanks to Toxicroak since this post. XD

zod
02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
That thing almost destroyed me. Its beastly and is extremely hard to take down in rain.

AbsolDeath
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
I remember facing this, what a beast. :D

PhoenixClaw
02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Heh, I made an error. Turns out instead of 50% HP loss after 6 Bulk Ups from an Exploding Metagross, Toxicroak actually takes 55-60% HP loss after only 3. ^_^ To put it another way, after about 3-4 BUs (I don't remember), an Exploding Bronzong barely took 20%. XD

Seriously though, if your opponent lets this thing get off 2 BUs and a Rain Dance, you're probably going to sweep half their team at the very least. DefenseCroak can even trade Punches with Scizor provided you're faster. (Sucker Punch doesn't work if the opponent is using an equal priority move with a faster speed stat)

With that in mind, I made another change by re-allocating those 4 remainng EVs into Speed for a grand total of 207 to outpace 85 base speed Pokemon. Notable things with 206 speed are:

Suicune w/o Speed EVs and a neutral nature
Cresselia (same as above)
Scizor with a Speed-reducing nature and 252 EVs in Speed (Dunno why someone would do this, but hey, its still good to know)

AbsolDeath
02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Thought I should mention, Lucario can be mentioned as a counter for Toxicroak that doesn't carry Cross Chop, as you saw in our battle PC. :0

mosers15
02-15-2009, 11:21 PM
ummm scyther is the best counter ever =D

amazing poke though....

PhoenixClaw
02-16-2009, 12:54 AM
I bet if I switched Expert Belt for Focus Sash on leadApe, Scyther wouldn't have had such a good time. :3

i am cool
02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Man this set is so cool...It's actually viable...HAHA thanks PC <3.

zod
02-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Ive actually tried it and it does **** smogon's ladder.