PDA

View Full Version : Golem Analysis

Strype McClaine
02-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Golem – Like a jewish rock

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/golem.png

First Glance
Golem once was the pinnacle of defense. A real stalwart man of rock and stone that in gen 1, stood for something....and that something was only caring about attack and defense. Who needs speed and special when you can take a rock, apply liberality to someone's face, and turn them special. Nowadays why would you run golem when Ryperior is far superior in almost every way possible? No, he is regulated to the land of UU with many of his other generation one counterparts that failed to make the grade. As proud and as true as the jewish folklore he was named for, he stands strong, unchanging, ready to make a stand in a crazy world with a metagame that changes like someones underwear.
Daily.

Abilities
Sturdy OHKO moves will fail.
Rock Head Recoil moves have no recoil.

I'll tell you, I've NEVER SEEN THIS COMBINATION OF ABILITIES EVER BEFORE.....wait...yes I have....
In truth, Rock Head is the “Better” of the two abilities... but how often are you going to use Double-Edge on your golem...Not that often. Infact, only on Choice sets would I even Consider double-edge...Nope as far as I am concerned, Sturdy is a superior choice, on the offhand chance, OHKO moves come back in style and we all run Mind Reader Articuno....yep, thats right, I'm cross referencing my self.

Hebrew National
Golem @ Choice Band / Scarf
Adamant/Jolly @ 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Explosion
Double-Edge / Brick Break

Platinum Options – Superpower, Sucker Punch, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch

When it comes down to choice sets, if its a band set, I LOVE having some sort of priority move packed, Sucker Punch would override Double Edge any day. Thunder Punch far superior than fire punch this time around, and superpower, well...superpower works AMAZING on a lot of pokes, even with the draw back.

In a reversal of the norm, I would PREFER to run Jolly on the choice scarf, and Adamant on the band, just for the extra boost of power/speed in the appropriate places.

Jew's Metagross
Golem @ Leftovers
Adamant @ 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed

Earthquake
Stone Edge / Rock Slide
Explosion
Rock Polish

Platinum Options – Superpower, Sucker Punch, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch

Have you ever used Ajligross before? Guess what? Its the same damn thing. Speed up, and rock out.
Dang that's a terrible joke...

A Jewish Mexican
Golem @ Leftovers
Impish @ 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Stone Edge
Sleep Talk
Rest
Earthquake

Sadly another set that is rather self explanatory.
You soak up damage, you attack, you sleep off damage, you attack more...

Like a rolling stone
Golem @ Leftovers / Iron Ball
Brave / Relaxed @ 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def (NO speed Ivs)

Hammer Arm
Gyro Ball
Explosion
Earthquake/Stone Edge / Fling

Not surprisingly this is a fan of the trick room teams, and a decent man at that. With a LOW speed of 85, gyro ball isnt bad, but with a hammer arm off, it gets pretty potent. Fling that iron ball for a NICE 100 power dark attack, or explode on the last turn of the trick room. Its all up to you.
Kahboooom.

Mosers's Balls
Golem @ Choice Specs
Timid/Modest @ 252 Speed (or HP) / 252 S. Attk /4 (in what ever you didnt put the first in)

Fire Blast
Ancient Power
Earth Power
Hyper Beam

Wanna shoop-da-woop in style? Do you have balls as big as Mosers?
**** seaking. Golem, **** yea.

Epic Flail
Golem @ Salac Berry
Adamant/Jolly @ 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
Flail
Subsutite
Focus Punch / Sucker Punch
Earthquake / Stone Edge

Epic Flails. Sure, there are better sub/punch/flailers that have access to sucker punch for the ghost block....
But they arn't as cool as golem...or are they...they might be.
But golem is pritty damn cool.

Other Options
Superpower, Sucker Punch, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, all from Platinum
Rock Blast, can be a way of breaking substitutes.
Toxic, Stealth Rock, And block, all for supporting a team.

Final Thoughts.
There are many better dudes to be using, and it's not like countering a golem is hard. A good close combat, a fast special attack, a surf (in general)....yea golem crumbles quick to many things, but if its a strong offense with a strong defense you want, there are many worse choices.
And a lot of them, arn't as cool.

mosers15
02-22-2009, 12:45 AM
dude this kicks ***.

I <3 you for the mosers balls set

i am cool
02-22-2009, 06:10 AM
LOL Thanks for being so damn awesome Strype and helping the Analysis section once again!

This is great, although I like you having some humour in your analysis, we actually have some Jews on the site who will view this Analysis in time...

mosers15
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
this isnt racist, this is based off of what golem is based off of rofl

Safe_Kid
02-24-2009, 02:51 PM
What if ppl that aren't from TU reads this, were no where near professional and this would make Smogon look like Gods.

Nice analysis however.

i am cool
02-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Exactly, Safe is a mind-reader haha.

LOL now I finally actually read it, I ******* love the humour you put in your Analysis, some humour is needed just to grab the reader's attention so he doesn't get bored reading.

BTW, other nit-pick, don't put "Platinium options" and DP ones, just put the whole set of moves in 1. Thx.