PDA

View Full Version : Omastar Analysis

Pimplup
02-23-2009, 12:29 AM
The Star of UU!!

Ah, good to get back doing some analysis. Let's have some fun:D!!

Omastar

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/sugimori/sugimori139.png

Type: Water / Rock

Abilities: 1. Swift Swim: Speed doubles in rain.
2. Shell Armor: Prevents critical hits.

Rain Dance Sweeper

Omastar @ Life Orb / Damp Rock
Trait: Swift Swim
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
- Rain Dance
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power (Grass) / Hidden Power (Electric)

Omastar has extremely high Special Attack, but horrible Speed to go with it. This is why we need Rain Dance. After getting its lovely speed boosts, Omastar absolutely destroys the UU metagame. Surf and Hydro Pump is up to you, if you want a little bit less power but a guaranteed hit, then Surf is the choice for you. Ice Beam is to cover the Grass Types like Venusaur who think they can come in. For the Hidden Powers, Grass is the better choice to avoid being walled by Quaggy, but HP Electric is there for Mantine.

Specs Fossil Star

Omastar @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Ancientpower
- Hidden Power Grass

Omastar’s movepool is only just about good enough to support a Choice Specs set, allowing him to function as a slow but powerful hit and run attacker. AncientPower is does pretty decent damage to Mantine, who can sponge hits from its other attacks easily. With AncientPower to handle Mantine, there is no need to run HP Electric, so you can use Grass to bring down Quagsire and Gastrodon. Some back up from a Rain Dancer would be really helpful if you're using this set. Having an Omastar with over 400 Speed and firing off attacks from a 540 Special Attack stat with even further boosted STAB Water attacks is quite the threat.

Most words are from Smogon but I changed the sentences I didn't like, kept the ones I did.

RestTalk Spike Supporter

Omastar @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Pretty much he Premier Spiker of UU. Can tank Starapotor's Return and Brave Bird, and proceed to Spike up. When running low on HP, just RestTalk. In UU, use Spikes, way too many Poisons. If using in OU, use Toxic Spikes. Not much else to say here.

Support, Support

Omastar @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armor
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Stealth Rock / Toxic
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off / Protect / Ice Beam

UU

By dropping Rest and Sleep Talk, Omastar has two free moveslots to make greater use of his support options. If you already have SR up, use Toxic in tandem with Spikes, and run Protect over Knock Off so you can Stall to the best of your ability. If you don't have SR, run it, and use Knock Off to annoy the opponent. Ice Beam is there for coverage or if you really feel like. :?

OU

This is one of the best options out of all of the Omastar sets if you're using Omastar against OU opponents, since he can benefit from the Special Defense boost when Sandstorm is in play. He does take hits from Heatran's Fire STAB like they were flies (Choice Specs Overheat can't even manage 30% with a Sandstorm boost), plus you can get in fairly easily on other Spikers like Skarmory and Forretress and scare them off with STAB Surf. If you're looking for other opportunities to send him in, a CB Stone Edge from Aerodactyl is only a 3HKO (and Shell Armor prevents critical hits), as is Salamence's CB Dragon Claw.
Most words are from Smogon but I changed the sentences I didn't like, kept the ones I did.

Other Options

Wring Out: Choice Specs Wring Out strips around 45% off a full strength Lanturn and up to 80% from Quagsire, but is rather poor otherwise.

Earth Power: For other Omastar, not really useful for anything else except Lanturn and other Electrics.

Icy Wind: Can go wherever Ice Beam is, the Speed drop might prove helpful.

EV's

Max Speed and Special Attack for the Rain Dance and Choice Specs sets, although max HP is an option on the Choice Specs set to help take hits better while switching in. The Support set needs to focus on mostly on HP and Defense. Pretty-self explanatory otherwise.

Counters

UU
For those with HP Electric, Quagsire can kick their ***. Those with HP Grass, and without Ancient Power, fall to Mantine. Gastrodon doesn't have Water Absorb like Quagsire, but he can usually survive a hit and Mirror Coat it back, or fire back with Surf or Earthquake. Lanturn survives HP Grass and easily KOs with Thunderbolt. Since Cloud Nine ignores Rain Dance, Golduck can switch into Water and Ice attacks and use Hypnosis, Surf or a Fighting attack. Gardevoir can Trace Swift Swim, outspeed, and OHKO with Energy Ball.

OU
In OU Blissey does her usual job of walling special attacks. Water-types like Milotic, Empoleon and Suicune can beat him, since HP Electric / Grass doesn't faze them too much. Porygon2 absolutely love the Rain Dance set, since they can Trace Swift Swim then finish off Omastar with Thunderbolt.

Opinion

Omastar has awesome Special Attack and Defense stats, but his poor speed and horrible movepool bring him down. But, never count Omastar out, 9/10 times, it will set up Entry Hazards.

Adding a TR set when I have time. I will also be editing some wording...

Statigar
02-23-2009, 12:46 AM
wow you pulled that off quickly O_O

Nice! Welcome back to the team! :D

Pimplup
02-23-2009, 12:48 AM
wow you pulled that off quickly O_O

Nice! Welcome back to the team! :D
LOL, yeah, I'm going to finish it now...

zod
02-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Nice analysis. Hope to have more to come and welcome back :D

Pimplup
02-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Nice analysis. Hope to have more to come and welcome back :D
Wow, thank you very, very much :D . I will be sure to make more, the next one I was thinking of is Latias, or something like that, pretty much a revamp of a Pokemon for DPP.

i am cool
02-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm taking care of that LOL.

Anyways, this Analysis is amazing. Although, I advise you not to copy from Smogon, as that will make our site look like followers!

One thing to watch out for is the "wording", try to avoid using "I" or "We"...

You can do an Uber Analysis of Latias (be sure to check out TU's Tier list, there's differences from the site you're used to!).

Thanks again for this amazing piece of work, I hope I can see more amazing Analysis like this from you!

Pimplup
02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I'm taking care of that LOL.

Anyways, this Analysis is amazing. Although, I advise you not to copy from Smogon, as that will make our site look like followers!

One thing to watch out for is the "wording", try to avoid using "I" or "We"...

You can do an Uber Analysis of Latias (be sure to check out TU's Tier list, there's differences from the site you're used to!).

Thanks again for this amazing piece of work, I hope I can see more amazing Analysis like this from you!
OK, I'll be sure to change some wording around and I'll change paragraphs enough so that it doesn't look anymore like Smogon's. LOL, sorry about taking Omastar, I looked in the reserved analysis' and I didn't see it taken, sorry :( . Anyways, thank you very much for the compliments, I'm not done yet, need to add a TR set.

i am cool
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Now that i'm looking back on this, I URGE you to take a look at TU's Tier List.

We don't follow Smogon's UU, so don't mention "Pretty much he Premier Spiker of UU. Can tank Starapotor's Return and Brave Bird,", Staraptor is BL on TU, not UU; we still play by old UU and not the nUU!

Keep that in mind hun.