PDA

View Full Version : Gorebyss Analysis

Shadow_Blaze
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
http://arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/gorebyss.png
Gorebyss is one of the most versatile pokemon that the Water-Type has to offer, with the ability
to provide vital support to a team as well as hit hard with a variety of attacks combined with its impressive offensive stats, Gorebyss can prove quite useful to any team.

"Baton Passing Fish" @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~Batton Pass
~Iron Defense / Agility
~Surf /Confuse Ray / Protect
~Amnesia / Substitute / Aqua Ring

Baton Pass has always served as one of Gorebyss’ main niches and is a welcome option to any baton pass team thanks to the wide array of stat boosts that it can pass. If Rain were to be added to the mix, it would make up for Gorebyss’ own lackluster speed stat and can result more effective passing to the next link in the chain.

The moves for this set are rather straight forward, though they do require a bit of explanation. Baton pass is listed for obvious reasons as it is the backbone of the set, with the ability to pass several boosts to a teammate. Iron Defense strengthens Gorebyss’ already formidable Defense as well as the team member that it is supporting, this move can prove quite useful in today’s heavily physical metagame coupled with Gorebyss’ ability the ability of resisting Scizor’s Bullet Punch. Agility is another option for the second slot if you would like to fuel the recipient on the speed / offensive side rather than the defensive.

The third slot mainly serves as a counter measure against opposing pokemon that wish to shut down Gorebyss’ Baton Pass chain. Surf provides a solid STAB move coming off of Gorebyss’ 114 base Special Attack stat, which can prove quite useful due to Surf’s decent coverage. Confuse Ray can force perspective phazers to switch for fear of the looming risk of getting damaged by the confusion itself, it can also stall your opponent so Gorebyss can get it’s vital boosts to a teammate waiting in the wings. Protect is the final option for this set, this is simply to stall out a turn to scout for taunt or wait for toxic damage if you have utilized that support option on your team.

The final slot provides Gorebyss with a second stat boosting / support option. Amnesia allows Gorbyss to bulk up the Special Defense stat of the team member that it is supporting as well as its own, this can prove quite useful if Gorebyss is supporting a team member that has rather low Special Defense or is simply weak to a largely special based type such as Electric. Substitute is another option that is preferably paired with Agility as the loss of 25% of Gorebyss’ HP per use would not suit a defensive support variant. Aqua Ring is the last option to be listed on this set, it can provide a Baton Pass chain with much needed recovery support, it is rather outclassed by Gorebyss’ other options but it at least deserves an honorable mention.

“Deep Sea Assult” @ Life Orb / Leftovers / Damp Rock / Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Nature: Modest / Timid
~Surf / Hydro Pump
~Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Electric
~Ice Beam
~Rain Dance / Psychic

This set shows Gorebyss’ offensive capabilities in addition to it’s support prowess as shown in the previous set, this set can be fitted with several items depending on your team’s needs. Note that this set is best used under the cover of Rain to hide Gorebyss’ abysmal base Speed stat.

Life Orb is a preferred option for this set as it adds even more destructive power to Gorebyss’ already considerable 114 base Special Attack stat. Leftovers is a welcome option for those who value survivability over destructive capabilities. Damp Rock allows this set to double as a Rain supporter when a switch is forced; this can prove quite useful as an unsuspecting opponent may switch in a pokemon that Gorebyss wouldn’t stand a chance against without Rain in effect, but would be easily pummeled with the weather effect in full swing. Choice Specs is another notable option for an item, sacrificing versatility for a monstrous boost in power.

The moves for the first slot are mainly to take advantage of Gorebyss’ own Water-Type STAB and 114 base Special Attack, as well as a timely boost from Rain. These boosts can prove quite useful for toppling opponents that wish to exploit Gorbyss’ reputation as “set up fodder”. To be more in-depth, Surf allows Gorebyss to take down opponents without the risk of an untimely miss. Hydro Pump is a welcome option for players that wish to barrage their opponents with the strongest attacks possible to hopefully insure a win, this may prove to be a double edged sword as Hydro Pump has shaky accuracy and can prove quite counter productive if it were to miss.

The second slot is meant to be filled by a respectable Hidden Power type. Hidden Power Grass allows Gorebyss to hit rival Rain-dwelling Water-Types that it may encounter such as Omastar and Kabutops, due to their typing it is rather needless to say that Hidden Power Grass would have no trouble in dispatching them. Hidden Power Electric is another defense against Water-Types, though this can prove more useful in the Over-Used metagame due to the looming threat of Gyarados, though this does have use in the Under Used metagame due to Mantine’s ability to wall many of Gorebyss’ main attacks.

The third slot is occupied by Ice Beam, this allows Gorebyss to dispatch several Dragon-Types in the Over-Used metagame. In tandem with Surf and Hidden Power Grass or Electric, Gorebyss’ coverage is nearly unmatched.

The final slot can be used for either support or offensive purposes. Rain Dance allows Gorebyss to set up a potential sweep if one of its team members do not have the opportunity to do so, as I had previously mentioned, this can prove quite useful for switches that Gorebyss will likely force. Psychic allows Gorebyss to score Super Effective damage on the Poison-Types that plague the Under-Used metagame, as well as Gengar in the Over-Used environment.

Other Options

Other than the aforementioned options, Gorebyss' competitive movepool is rather barren.

Barrier is another option on the Baton Pass set, though it is generally outclassed by Iron Defense as it is immune to Brick Break, a rather common move in any metagame.

A physically oriented Gorebyss set can be achieved by using moves such as Aqua Tail, Ice Fang, Crunch and Return, though Gorebyss' 114 base Special Attack and moveslot syndrome diminishes the usability of this set.

Counters:

Any opposing Taunt user can ultimately shut down Gorebyss’ Baton Pass set if Rain is not is effect. The Offensive variant can be incapacitated by Mantine as it walls nearly all of Gorebyss’ movepool barring Hidden Power Electric. Lanturn does Mantine’s aforementioned job even more effectively as it is completely immune to Hidden Power Electric and is only weak to one move in Gorebyss’ movepool, that being Hidden Power Grass, a move of which it takes next to nothing from. In short, any Special Wall that resists Water and has a status move at its disposal can pretty much bring Gorebyss down.

ekspo
04-22-2009, 05:00 PM
I'll read through it and check any mistakes =D, theres no other options bit -.- ill add that..

Shadow_Blaze
04-22-2009, 05:03 PM
*facepalm* thought I forgot something...thanks EXpo...

ekspo
04-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Hmm.. its 3am, you can do the other options if you want xD, otherwise ill do it when i wake up hahaz.. but yeh looks perfect atm, im not the grammar king though, we'll wait for iac to check it. To me however, perfect ;)

Shadow_Blaze
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Well thanks Expo, I'll take care of the missing section myself ^_^

Good night

mosers15
04-22-2009, 06:50 PM
hmmm....ill check the revamp. Good job *ups rep*

i am cool
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Minor mistakes that were spotted have been fixed...I quite like this Analysis. Hmm...you can do Darkrai or Walrein now.

Thanks again Shadow_Blaze.

<3

Shadow_Blaze
04-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Thank you for the warm reception ^_^

I'll probably work on Walrein over the weekend and Darkrai over the next week

zod
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Your a miracle writer that can turn bland analyses into works of art <3

Shadow_Blaze
04-24-2009, 12:05 AM
omg thankies <3

this is doing wonders for my low self esteem 0_0

I'll have the entire weekend to myself so I can nearly guarantee Walrein, Darkrai and the additional gym leader descriptions by the end of the weekend.