View Full Version : Bibarel Analysis.

i am cool
04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Bibarel:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/bibarel.png

Summary:

Bibarel:

Most Used Bibarel Set:

Due to Bibarel’s two unique Abilities, he will usually be found utilizing them both to their fullest potential through the use of Stat Boosting sets (that use moves such as Curse, Amnesia, Charge Beam etc.) or the Choice Band set (which, through the Ability Unaware, makes Bibarel a potent Physical sweeper since Unaware helps it avoid Defense boosts which will otherwise weaken the damage done by the Choice Band set).

Usual Counters:

Bibarel, despite being mocked at by the Competitive Pokemon community, is a pretty effective sweeper / wall that is very difficult to switch into. Most walls present in today’s Under Used metagame, such as Lanturn, fear a predicted Super Fang as the majority of said walls have no reliable recovery move. However, if Lanturn is switched in without being hit by Super Fang, then he can terrorize Bibarel with a powerful Thunderbolt.

Grass-types such as Meganium, Bellossom etc. can switch in on Bibarel with relative ease. Although, after an Amnesia they will have trouble beating Bibarel with Special moves. Bulky Ghost-types can easily defeat Bibarel as they are immune to Bibarel’s only method of repetitive damage, Super Fang. Despite this, they should be wary of Waterfall (especially if you’re using Gengar as your Ghost-type), as it will OHKO Gengar, and will do respectable damage on Rotom-A, Spiritomb and Dusknoir.

Types of Teams Bibarel Is Used On:

Bibarel usually has teams centered around him. This is because he has two amazing Abilities which grant him the capability of being an effective sweeper or wall.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifTaunt Beaver@ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)

- Taunt
- Super Fang
- Waterfall
- Yawn / Swagger / Thunder Wave

This Bibarel set is probably the most prevalent and useful Bibarel build out there. Use this set to break walls and cause overall mayhem on your opponents team. Taunt and Super Fang make up the crux of this set. Taunt makes walls obliged to attack you, while you Super Fang to cut what’s left of the opponent’s Health in half. Once your opponent’s wall is hit by both Taunt and Super Fang (assuming they were at 100% Health), they will be at 50% Health and unable to use their stalling moves. This means that another Super Fang will probably put them in Waterfall’s KO range. Just pray that Vaporeon isn’t being used as the opponent’s wall.

The last slot is up to personal preference and what type of walling you want to do. Yawn can force out an opponent’s Pokemon or possibly put one to sleep. Swagger might seem like an odd option, but with Unaware, if the opponent hits himself in Confusion, it’s like he has the +2 Attack boost when he’s hitting himself. However, if he hits Bibarel while he’s Confused, he won’t be hitting Bibarel with a +2 Attack boost.

The EVs ensure that Bibarel can wall hits on both Defensive sides, while the Maximum HP EVs gives him additional bulk. No Speed EVs might seem peculiar, but even with no Speed investment, Bibarel can still outspeed a lot of common walls.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifCurse Bibarel@ Leftovers / Silk Scarf
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 88 SpD / 48 Atk
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp.Att)

- Curse
- Waterfall
- Quick Attack
- Return / Taunt

After a Curse boost, Bibarel will have +2 Def and +2 Atk; this is all thanks to his other amazing ability, Simple. Waterfall and Quick Attack / Return are two STAB options which are not resisted by any Pokemon, except Shedinja and Empoleon. Quick Attack is also a great asset to this set as it is a priority move, meaning it will ignore the negative Speed boosts obtained by Curse. Return is an option in the last slot, as sometimes Quick Attack doesn’t give you the power needed. However, Taunt can make a great replacement as it prevents Pokemon from phazing you away.

Amnesia is usable in the last slot if you want to raise Bibarel’s Special Defense alongside his Defense and Attack. Silk Scarf can replace Leftovers as an Item as it supplies Bibarel with more power on his Normal-type moves. Although, Leftovers’ recovery is needed at times.

The EVs allow Bibarel to survive a lot of powerful Super Effective Physical and Special moves, making him a pretty powerful wall.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifDo a Barrel Roll!@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Att / 252 Def
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

- Super Fang
- Amnesia
- Return
- Waterfall

This set should be used in the Under Used metagame, since in the Over Used environment a lot of powerful sweepers can still annihilate this set with relative ease. With Simple, Bibarel’s Special Defense stat after one single Amnesia boost will be at 468, making Bibarel a powerful Special tank.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifLasers@ Leftovers / Expert Belt / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

- Charge Beam
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Grass Knot / Super Fang

Simple makes Charge Beam capable of raising Bibarel’s mediocre Special Attack stat by +2 70% of the time. This means that there’s a possible 70% chance to raise Bibarel’s Special Attack stat of 229 to 458. That makes Bibarel a very dangerous Special sweeper.

Surf is a nice STAB move, while Ice Beam and Grass Knot give excellent type coverage and will easily destroy Dragon and Water-types. However, Super Fang can replace Grass Knot, as Lanturn completely walls this set in the Under Used environment, while Blissey does the same in the Over Used metagame.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifChoice Band@ Choice Band
Ability: Unaware
Evs: 6 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+ Att, -Sp.Att)

- Return
- Waterfall / Aqua Tail
- Superpower
- Quick Attack

A Choice Band set is a pretty nasty surprise for Bibarel’s opponents, especially because Unaware grants it the ability to avoid Defense boosts that might be acquired by some of today’s pesky walls.

Return and Waterfall / Aqua Tail give unresisted coverage. The option between Waterfall and Aqua Tail is up to personal preference. However, Waterfall is the recommended option as it has a 100% rate of hitting the opponent. But, Aqua Tail can be considered for extra power. Superpower takes care of the common Steel-types in todays metagame.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifSuper Bibarel@ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 168 Def / 128 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -Spe)

- Curse
- Waterfall
- Amnesia
- Return / Quick Attack

This set deserves an honorable mention, despite the fact that Amnesia looks like a secondary option on a Curse Bibarel. This set only works because of the very intriguing ability Bibarel possesses (Simple). After each Curse, Bibarel will have +2 Atk, +2 Def and -2 Spe; and with each Amnesia Bibarel with have +4 SpD. Add them all up and you’ll get one heck of a wall.

Waterfall and Return / Quick Attack are two STAB options which aren’t resisted by any Pokémon, except Empoleon and Shedinja. The choice between Return/Quick Attack is all up the user and what is your preference--Speed or Power.

The EV spread is very straightforward. 212 HP generates max Leftovers recovery the rest is pumped into both Def and SpD.

Other Options:

If Bibarel has the ability Simple, Pluck is an okay option. If you can steal a berry, the boost will be doubled, which can come in handy.

Opinion:

Bibarel is generally mocked upon by the Pokemon community. However, that shouldn’t make you think that Bibarel is a terrible Pokemon. In fact, Bibarel is a very dangerous threat and should always be considered on a team of yours.

Milos
04-26-2009, 04:16 PM
This analysis is amazing. On the second set, in the last paragraph description, you wrote Supper instead of Super. Good Job :D

Edit:

lol
oh and on the 3rd set it should be "Do a Barrel Roll" not " Do a Barrel Role"

i am cool
04-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Alright. Thanks Milos. Sorry, but I didn't proof-read this Analysis. Didn't have the time.

Edit: Oh and Dinner > Supper.

Eh Thanks again, I fixed it. It was a typo xD.

Dimes
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Water + Normal is walled by Empoleon and Shedinja.

And I think you should do a bibarel set with both Defence Curl and Amnesia.

i am cool
04-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Defense Curl = A worse Curse. I mentioned the Pokemon resisting them, I guess I should mention them 2304939053029509 times for it to work, right?

Dimes
04-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I'm talking about in the last set. You said that it hit everything for norm. Defence Curl can work if you are wanting to attack with Chagre beam or something lol.

i am cool
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
It's still an inferior Curse, even though it doesn't get a Speed drop. In additon, it will now be apparent for "nubs" that only Empoleon and Shedinja are immune / resistant to the Normal + Water combination. I didn't necessarily say: "Normal + Water will hit EVERY SINGLE POKEMON for Neutral / SE damage".

SkyNet
05-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I don't know if you want to add this too the Analysis, it still needs to have a bit of work done on it but I do think it deserves it's own set.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_bibarel.gifSuper Bibarel@ Leftovers
EVs:212 HP/168 Def/128 SDef (I'll work on a better one soon)
Nature: Careful (+Sp.Def, -Spe)

- Curse
- Waterfall
- Amnesia
- Return/Quick Attack

I know you mentioned on the curse set that Amnesia is a viable move for the last slot, but IMO I think it need a whole new set too reach it peak potential.

This set only work because of the very intriguing ability Bibarel possess [Simple], after each curse Bibarel with have +2 Atk, +2 Def and -2 Spe and with each Amnesia Bibarel with have +4 Sp.Def. Waterfall and Return / Quick attack are two STAB options which are not resisted by one OU Pokemon [Empoleon] and one UU pokemon [Shedninja], the choice between Return/Quick Attack is all up the the user and what is your preference, Speed or Power.

The EV spread is very straightforward. 212 HP generats max leftover recovery the rest is just pumped into both Def and S.Def. (I will think of a new one soon too make the most of the Def/Sp.Def eg. Jump points)

i am cool
05-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Alright, you convinced me!

I will add the set shortly after this message; and I commend you for your hard work. However, I changed some of your English...you just need to work a bit more on subject-verb agreement <3.

SkyNet
05-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Alright, you convinced me!

I will add the set shortly after this message; and I commend you for your hard work. However, I changed some of your English...you just need to work a bit more on subject-verb agreement <3.

Cheers, I finally managed to grow some balls a post a set (first set I've posted on a forum). Thanks for the advise on my English, I've read the other analysis to hopefully improve it for next time.