PDA

View Full Version : Carnivine Analysis Revamp.

i am cool
05-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Carnivine:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/carnivine.png

Summary:

Carnivine:

Most Used Carnivine Set:

Carnivine usually attempts to abuse its signature move, Power Whip, which is only learned by itself, Tangrowth and Lickilicky. The latter being incapable of using it effectively since he lacks STAB on it, while the former can’t use it effectively since it won’t be able to use boosting Items such as Life Orb or Choice Band as it is normally used as a wall. Now for Carnivine to be able to use Power Whip to its fullest, it should use boosting Items such as Choice Band or even Life Orb; so the Choice Band sets are probably the most used sets on Carnivine.

Usual Counters:

Grass / Poison-types like Vileplume and Venusaur make good counters, as they're immune to Leech Seed and resist his STAB moves. Both hold enough Special Defense to handle Super Effective Hidden Powers and hit back with STAB Sludge Bomb.

Fire-types destroy him, but they won't like being Seeded or statused. Same goes for Flying-types, although, they'll have to be wary of Hidden Power Ice.

Tentacruel won't enjoy too many hits from Power Whip, but Liquid Ooze will screw up Leech Seed, and Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab or Ice Beam will defeat Carnivine quickly.

Types of Teams Carnivine Is Used On:

Mostly offensive teams, as Carnivine can aid Under Used offensive teams by breaking walls using its various powerful moves.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_carnivine.gifChoice Banded Plant@ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

- Power Whip
- Return
- Crunch
- Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

Carnivine doesn’t possess a large Physical move pool, so it is really limited to Physical moves. As a result, this set might seem appealing, but it’s not that amazing once you realize that Carnivine has a bad Physical move pool. However, it can still prove to be a potent sweeper if played correctly and conservatively.

Power Whip is mostly for STAB and destroying the opponent with a high powered Physical move. Crunch is mostly for Rotom and Bannete, while Return acts as a filler move. Use Sleep Powder if you want to shut down an opponent, or use Stun Spore if you want Carnivine to outspeed something.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_carnivine.gifPlanting Some Glasses@ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 Def
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

- Energy Ball / Grass Knot
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
- Hyper Beam

Carnivine’s Special move pool isn’t spectacular, but this set still deserves an honorable mention. Sludge Bomb is for enemy Grass-types that aren't part Poison, such as Meganium. Hidden Power Ice is for OHKOing Altaria, while Hidden Power Fire is for Steel-types such as Steelix. However, Rock / Steel-types will be hit harder by the Grass moves making Hidden Power Fire useless against them. Hyper Beam is mainly filler, since as mentioned above, Carnivine doesn’t really get a wide array of Special moves.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_carnivine.gifDancing Plant@ Leftovers

- Swords Dance
- Stun Spore / Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Hidden Power Fire / Return / Crunch

This is your basic Swords Dance sweeper. Once you switch in on something that can’t hurt Carnivine, you can start Swords Dancing. After that, proceed to fire off Power Whips from a 656 Attack stat. The last moves are filler, but Hidden Power Fire is the most reliable option as it annihilates Mawile and Steelix who can both shut down this set easily.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_carnivine.gifDouble Power@ Leftovers

- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Leech Seed

Here you should attempt to Sleep your opponent with Sleep Powder, then when they switch out, you Paralyze the incomer. This means you just crippled 2/6 Pokémon of your opponent's team; and that is in fact a huge accomplishment for a Pokémon like Carnivine. Energy Ball is for a STAB attack that can hurt a wide variety of Pokémon that aren’t resistant to it, while Leech Seed is for a way of regaining health. Hidden Power Ice is for a neat OHKO on Altaria, while Hidden Power Fire is for Steel-types such as Steelix and Mawile.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_carnivine.gifSub Seed@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 78 SpD / 180 Def
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Substitute / Power Whip
- Protect / Power Whip

This build might surprise your opponent as most people are used to face an attacking Carnivine rather than a walling one. Leech Seed your opponent to regain some health, then Toxic it. After that, switch between Substituting and Protecting to stall your opponent into submission. However, you can replace either Substitute or Protect with Power Whip; and it is recommended you do so, since both Protect and Substitute are sort of redundant together.

Additionally, when using this set, you should be careful of bulky Steel-types such as Skarmory, Aggron, Mawile and Steelix, as they utterly wall this set. Using Steel trappers such as Magnezone and Probopass is advised when using this Carnivine set.

Other Options:

Carnivine’s move pool is shallower than a puddle; it doesn’t have enough moves to be considered for Other Options.

Opinion:

Status and draining moves…everything you expect from a Grass-type. The fairly exclusive Power Whip is his stand-out move and at least gives him something over those that can utilize similar sets, such as Victreebel and Venusaur.

Dimes
05-17-2009, 04:09 PM
You can have a Stockpile Payback Tank, which helps Carnivine oh so much.

i am cool
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Outclassed by stuff like Hippowdon in OU, and Carnivine in UU.

Dimes
05-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Outclassed by stuff like Hippowdon in OU, and Carnivine in UU.

1. Who uses Carnivine in OU?

2. How does it outclass itself?

3. Hippowdon has better stuff to do, like set up SR and Phaze.

4. So? I'm the person that said that Granbull is outclassed by Raticate, when it comes to Quick Feet sets, and I got a crap load of flack for that.

i am cool
05-18-2009, 07:06 PM
I meant Cradily :P.

Dimes
05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Cornyvine has more Attack, and Levitate, meaning immunity to Toxic Spikes and Spikes outsude of Gravity and while not holding an Iron Ball.

Cradily has a recovery and better Defences, Suction Cups but less attack and no payback.