Base stats:

HP: 106
ATK: 90
DEF: 130
SP.ATK: 90
SP.DEF: 154
SPD: 110

Overview:

Lugia is one of the sturdiest Pokémon in the game. It is also one of the three greatest walls of the Uber tier (the other two being Giratina and Deoxys-D). Lugia is a Pokémon that can take hits on either side of the spectrum fairly well and support a team nicely with Toxic and Whirlwind.

The drawback with Lugia is the lack in the offensive stat department, as its Atk and Sp.Atk are base 90 which is pretty poor for the Uber standard. Although, it does have a diverse enough movepool to consider offensive strategies

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_lugia.gifDouble Wall@ Leftovers / Chesto Berry / Lum Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)

- Roost / Rest
- Reflect
- Whirlwind / Ice Beam
- Ice Beam / Light Screen / Toxic / Substitute / Seep Talk

This is the standard walling Lugia. Lugia has a few advantages over Giratina as a wall. The main one being access to an instant recovery move in the form of Roost. This means that it isn't forced to rely on Rest and Sleep Talk to recover damage. Also, unlike Giratina, it doesn't carry a Dragon weakness. This means it's able to take on Latios and Latias with ease, providing they aren't carrying Thunder. Even with Thunder, Lugia can use Roost to weaken its sting. The final advantage over Giratina is access to Ice Beam, a very effective move in the Uber environment.

You may wonder why Rest, Sleep Talk and Chesto Berry are included as options when Lugia has Roost. The reason is that many people will expect Lugia to carry Roost and will use Toxic on it. If Lugia is hit with Toxic and you have no cleric, then Lugia's walling days are over. Chesto-Rest and Rest-Talk allow Lugia to be able to fight back against those who use Toxic. This is also the reason why Lum Berry is an option. Bear in mind that using Rest leaves you open to Groudon.

Lugia will be using Reflect to counter Physical Pokémon like Groudon and Metagross. Roost allows it to restore HP, while Reflect will boost its already formidable Physical defense. It also has Whirlwind to get rid of troublesome Physical attackers (such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza). Whirlwind forces the opponent to switch out causing the stat boosts to vanish into thin air, also passive damage will rack up very quickly for the opponents Pokémon if you have managed to lay down Spikes and/or Stealth Rock.

The last move is where things get complicated, since Lugia has a lot of choice. Ice Beam is mentioned as a useful move in the Uber environment, since a lot of Pokémon are weak to it. Light Screen makes Lugia's Special Defense frightening, neutralizing almost all Special moves coming its way. Toxic allows Lugia to wreak havoc on your opponent's team. However, the problem with Toxic is that it leaves you somewhat open to Metagross. Substitute is an obvious move, creating a buffer for Lugia to hide behind. With max HP EV's Lugia will hit 416 HP, meaning that Blissey or Deoxy-D can’t break Lugia’s Substitute with Seismic Toss and Night Shade, respectively.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_lugia.gifCalmMind@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Thunder / Shadow Ball / Whirlwind / Earth Power

With Calm Mind, Lugia is able to turn its talents for a sweeping attempt. Calm Mind also boosts Lugia's Special Defense, making it rather impenetrable to Special Attacks. The strategy is simple, Calm Mind up, then go for a sweep.

Ice Beam is going to be the standard move, since it hits so many Ubers hard. Thunder is there to take advantage of Kyogre's Ability, Drizzle. Thunder can also hurt Kyogre, other Lugia, Ho-oh, and Manaphy pretty badly. Shadow Ball is also a good move in the Uber environment, due to the common Psychic-type Pokémon. Whirlwind will help Lugia get rid of anything that tries to match with it, such as Calm Mind Kyogre and Latias. Earth Power is Lugia's best shot at toppling Metagross.

Latias mainly outclasses Lugia with its own Bulky Calm Mind set but there are a few advantages that Lugia has over the little red Dragon. Mainly, Lugia isn't defeated by a Metagross' Pursuit and can shrug of Extremespeed from Normal Arceus. And obviously, it's much more bulky.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_lugia.gifChoice Specs@ Choice Specs
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Aeroblast
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Surf / Shadow Ball / Earth Power / Trick

Lugia's Special movepool is varied enough to run a Choice Specs set, although Kyogre outclasses Lugia in nearly every way.

Aeroblast is a good move, since the only Uber that will resist it is Dialga. However, in an environment where the Ability Pressure is so common, Aeroblast's PP will be drained quickly. Ice Beam and Thunder are the staple Special moves for an Uber, hitting the vast majority of the Uber Metagame for dreadful damage.

The last move is up to personal preference. Surf doesn't hit much in Uber's, but benefits from the Rain and deals good damage to those who don't resist it. Shadow Ball is there to hit the majority of Psychic-types in the Uber environment. Earth Power is there to hit Metagross and Dialga. Alternatively, you could attempt to use Trick, and cripple an opponent with Choice Specs.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_lugia.gifChoice Band@ Choice Band
EVs: 200 HP / 116 Atk / 192 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

- Earthquake
- Punishment
- Waterfall / Aqua Tail / Avalanche
- Trick

Physical Lugia isn't as effective as Special Lugia due to its smaller Physical movepool, but it can just about manage a Choice Band set. However, if you really want a Physical bird, Ho-oh is the better choice.

Earthquake is going to be the standard move to use here. Punishment may be weak at first glance, but it gains power if the opponent uses stat boosting moves. To give you an idea on how effective it can be, if your opponent uses one Calm Mind, Punishment's Base Power goes up by 40. This means that after two opposing Calm Minds, Punishment has a base power of 140. Waterfall and Aqua Tail will require Rain support from Kyogre to work to their full potential. Although, Water doesn't have the best coverage in the Uber Metagame; so Avalanche can be used to hit the many Dragons that infest Ubers.

Trick is a great move for the fourth and final slot. It is designed to cripple, or at least hamper, many of Lugia's common switch-ins.

Other Options:

Recover is an alternative to Roost, but for the majority Roost outclasses Recover. The reason being is that Roost nullifies the Flying-type for a turn, and Lugia is fast enough to take advantage of that. While Roosting, it may be vulnerable to Earthquake; but its weaknesses to Electric and Ice are removed.

Lugia has access to Thunder Wave, which can be used instead of Toxic on the wall set.

Safeguard is an other support move that could be used to protect Lugia and its team mates from status problems.

Signal Beam can be used over Shadow Ball; you trade less power for a Super Effective hit on Darkrai and a chance to Confuse the opponent.

Psychic isn't mentioned on the Special sets due to inferior type coverage, but it gets STAB.

Choice Scarf could be used on either of the choice sets to make Lugia a revenge killer.

Usual Counters:

Lugia is a defensive Pokémon that doesn't have much in the way of offense. Even so, don't underestimate Lugia, as it can be quite powerful.

Most Lugia sets are vulnerable to Taunt, so Pokémon that carry Taunt are top counters. The best users of Taunt in the Uber environment are Mewtwo, Mew and Darkrai. Calm Mind Mewtwo will rip through Lugia by abusing Taunt. Mew is slower than Lugia, but can Baton Pass an appropriate stat up to an ally.

Kyogre that use Calm Mind and Thunder can also beat Lugia one on one, but risks being Whirlwinded away.

A Stalling Dialga that uses Rest and Toxic will also beat the wall Lugia, provided that the opponent's cleric is gone and Lugia doesn't have Rest.

Tyranitar is able to beat Lugia with sheer force. A Choice Banded Stone Edge from max Attack has an 86% chance of scoring an OHKO on Lugia. Stone Edge is risky though, since Lugia has Roost to remove the weakness and Pressure to eat away at the PP. Without Stone Edge, Tyranitar can use Crunch, especially if Tyranitar gets a Defense drop. However, if that Defense drop doesn't come, Tyranitar may go down due to Toxic damage. Tyranitar can also use Pursuit to heavily damage a Lugia that's switching out.

All choice sets are beaten by prediction. Ice-type moves are always on a choice set; and as such, any resistant Pokémon will beat said choice sets easily. Kyogre will beat the Choice Band set easily, due to the absence of Super Effective Physical moves on Lugia. The Choice Specs set can be beaten by Calm Mind Mewtwo, though it will have to be wary of Shadow Ball.

Statigar
05-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Epic.

You have gained the Analysis Rank. Well done dude, and welcome to the team!

SkyNet
05-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Epic.

You have gained the Analysis Rank. Well done dude, and welcome to the team!

Cheers Stat <333

Statigar
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Im thinking of changing the scrolling "analyser" to an iage that suites the pokeballs etc.

Any ideas about what image i should use?

Kuja20
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
The analysis itself is top notch, but people with the Dark themed skin on the forums cant read it. Could you change it to it's default colour? Otherwise nice work! Keep up the good job ;)

Maku
05-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Great Analysis Sky (y) Welldone

SkyNet
05-04-2009, 12:14 PM
The analysis itself is top notch, but people with the Dark themed skin on the forums cant read it. Could you change it to it's default colour? Otherwise nice work! Keep up the good job ;)

=0,I didn't know that xD, as I C+P from word there are soooo many font and colour tags it's not funny removing them will take ages, also I can't edit my OP xD

Edit: I've managed to slave most to the colour tags xP.

i am cool
05-04-2009, 12:40 PM
This is perfect because I helped out (H). Although, I need to tell SkyNet how much I appreciate his amazing work <3333.

Dimes
05-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Now this is a perfect analysis. Way better than mine. Speeling check: You want Sleep talk and not seep talk on the first set. Other than that, it's awesome.

i am cool
05-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks fatman.