PDA

View Full Version : Gengar Double Battling Analysis

i am cool
05-15-2009, 08:50 PM
We are almost done with the Singles Analyses; but since Shoddy Battle 2 is going to be released soon, and it will feature Double Battles, I thought that it would be a great idea to start having Analyses for Double Battles from now. This is because we already know how the Double Battle metagame is formed, so it is pretty easy to determine a certain Pokémon’s effectiveness.

However, Double Battles won’t be played a lot, and they already aren’t; so an UU Double Battling metagame will be played by roughly 2% of the people who will use Shoddy Battle 2, which is quite low. As such, we will not analyze UU Pokémon, unless they can pair up well with OU Pokémon (speaking in Single battle terms).

So basically, an Analysis will be normal, consisting of a Summary, an In-Depth section etc. However, you should post 1 Paragraph in the set comments describing the moves, their use etc.; and another 1 (only put 1 in extreme cases)-3 Paragraphs about what Pokémon the set you are analyzing works best with. For example: You have Marowak, you list 2-3 paragraphs showing what Pokémon the Swords Dance set, or any other set for that matter, pairs best with. Usually it’s Gyarados, and as such, you describe 2-3 Paragraphs about why and how Marowak works in conjunction with Gyarados.

Now, there is a limit to the Pokémon you can analyze, because as mentioned earlier, in the Double Battling Analyses we will only be outlining the most prevalent and viable strategies and the Pokémon that can work on them. Here, I will outline the strategies or Pokémon that can work in the Double Battling metagame; and later I will outline the Pokémon that can work well on certain strategies.

Explosion teams, Rain teams, Trick Room teams, Hail teams, Sunny Day teams, Perish Doom, Smeargle with No Guard, Super Slaking / Regigigas, Dual Screen Teams, Baton Pass + Stat up move + Follow Me, Belly Drum + Follow Me, Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon / Frenzy Plant / Rock Hammer / Hyper Beam / Giga Impact / Roar of Time + Roar, Dark Void + Follow Me, Gravity, Imprison, Seed Flare + Special attack move, Teeter Dance, Tail Wind, Claydol + Aerodactyl, Surf (Lapras + Vaporeon), Zapdos + Electivire, Salamence + Gyarados, Typhlosion + Vaporeon, Gyarados + Marowak / Rhyperior, Groudon + Ho-oh, Kyogre + Wailord, Wobbuffet + Darkrai, Ditto + Darkrai, Honchkrow + Tauros, Rayquaza + Shedinja.

In total there are 30 Strategies / Pokémon combinations.

Now, let’s see what Pokémon can work best on certain strategies:

Explosion teams: Gengar + Metagross / Snorlax / Lickilicky / Bronzong / Sudowoodo.

Rain teams: Toxicroak + Kingdra, Kingdra + Ludicolo, Ludicolo + Toxicroak.

Trick Room teams: Dusknoir + Smeargle, Bronzong + Dusknoir.

Hail teams: Abomasnow + Froslass, Abomasnow + Glaceon, Abomasnow + Walrein.

Sunny Day teams: Jumpluff + Heatran, Jumpluff + Infernape, Jumpluff + Exeggutor, Cherrim + Jumpluff.

Perish Doom: Dugtrio + Mismagius.

Smeargle with No Guard: Smeargle + Machamp.

Super Slaking / Regigigas: Slowbro + Slaking / Regigigas.

Dual Screen teams: Azelf + Gengar / Metagross.

Baton Pass + Stat up move + Follow Me: Vaporeon / Celebi / Zapdos + Lucario + Togekiss / Clefable.

Belly Drum + Follow Me: Charizard + Electivire.

Blast Burn / Hydro Cannon / Frenzy Plant / Rock Hammer / Hyper Beam / Giga Impact / Roar of Time + Roar: Infernape / Empoleon / Sceptile / Rhyperior / Porygon-Z / Slaking / Dialga + Skarmory.

Dark Void + Follow Me: Smeargle + Clefable / Togekiss.

Gravity: Dusknoir / Jirachi + Donphan + Shaymin / Dragonite.

Imprison: Dusknoir + Salamence + Dragonite + Flygon.

Seed Flare + Special attack move: Shaymin + Porygon-Z / Gengar.

Teeter Dance: Cacturne + Lickilicky + Smeargle + Slowbro.

Tail Wind: Articuno / Suicune + Ramparados / Tyranitar / Marowak.

Here are some Pokémon combinations: Claydol + Aerodactyl, Lapras + Vaporeon, Zapdos + Electivire, Salamence + Gyarados, Typhlosion + Vaporeon, Gyarados + Marowak / Rhyperior, Groudon + Ho-oh, Kyogre + Wailord, Wobbuffet + Darkrai, Ditto + Darkrai, Honchkrow + Tauros, Rayquaza + Shedinja.

Now, if you would like to Analyze one of these Pokémon, stressing on the combination of Pokémon (singular and plural) that can be used in conjunction with the Pokémon you’re Analyzing; or heck, even add more (but I highly doubt there is any), then please just post here to reserve. Today I will update this thread with an example one to get you started, and if you have and further questions PM me.

This project shouldn’t take a lot, but as of now we should take care more for Singles, since that’s a huger project.

Note: I did not explain how the strategies are employed because some, or most, are abundantly clear. However, if you want to Analyze one of the Pokémon and you do not know how the Pokémon (both singular and plural) paired up with it are played, then just PM me or post here. For example: You’re Analyzing Marowak and you don’t know how you can explain how it works effectively with Gyarados, then just PM me or post here so I can help. In this case, it works well because it drags away the Electric moves threw at Gyarados through Lightning Guard; while Gyarados can freely set up whilst worrying only about its Rock weakness.

Now you can also post Double Battling Analysis, just make sure to follow the correct format and stuff.

Now as for an example Analysis, here is one; this also means it’s done, you can’t do Gengar anymore since now I have done it. Feel free to fix any errors in this Analysis. Enjoy:

Gengar:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/gengar.png

Summary:

Most Used Gengar Set:

Gengar is immune to Explosion, a prevalent move in the Double Battling metagame. As such, it will be used as a partner with a common Exploder; and since it can use Explosion itself, then it will be seen running an Explosion set to act as a powerful partner for an Explosion user.

Usual Counters:

Stopping Gengar from using Explosion is a hard task. However, it could be done if you’re leading with something faster than Gengar (i.e.: Weavile). Weavile can easily destroy Gengar with Night Slash, or simply set up Swords Dance. Or, you could just use a Ghost-type such as Choice Scarf Gengar / Mismagius.

Types of Teams Gengar Is Used In:

Gengar is mostly seen in Explosion teams, for reasons stated above.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_gengar.gifExplosion Gengar@ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 SpA
Nature: Hasty (+Spe, -Def)

- Explosion
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Gengar is an excellent user of Explosion, due to his high Speed and reasonable Attack stat. It can also make a great partner for an Explosion user, since it is immune to Explosion itself. Metagross makes an excellent partner, due to his ability to live an Explosion from Gengar, and use Explosion himself. A Choice Band Snorlax can work, since its STAB Self Destruct is extremely powerful and will OHKO the bulkiest of Steel-types. However, Snorlax is not immune / resistant to Gengar’s Explosion, so that might cause a problem.

Lickilicky carries a STAB Explosion, so a Choice Band Lickilicky can work as Gengar’s partner. However, it shares the same problem as Snorlax; being prone to dying from Gengar’s Explosion. Bronzong takes laughable damage from Gengar’s Explosion, it can also use an Explosion of its own which will dent a lot of Pokémon.

Sudowoodo might seem as an appalling partner for Gengar, but its Choice Band boosted Explosion can cause a lot of damage. In addition, it takes pathetic damage from Gengar’s Explosion. Sudowoodo also possesses a myriad of powerful moves, such as Wood Hammer, Stone Edge, and Earthquake.

Shadow Ball is a pretty straight-forward move, while Focus Blast can destroy Tyranitar. Thunderbolt destroys Gyarados, and it could be replaced by Hidden Power Ice to take care of Salamence; but it’s less recommended because of Salamence’s rarity.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_gengar.gifDual Screen Sweeper@ Life Orb
EVs: 238 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

This Gengar set is usually paired up with Dual Screen Azelf. After Azelf sets up Light Screen and Reflect, Gengar will become a powerful Special sweeper that is extremely hard to take down. With Reflect up, Gengar can survive a Choice Band Metagross’s Meteor Mash, a Choice Band Weavile’s Night Slash, and 2 Choice Band Scizor’s Bullet Punches. With Light Screen up, Gengar can easily survive a Choice Specs Empoleon’s Hydro Pump, and a Choice Specs Jolteon’s Shadow Ball.

This means taking down Gengar in the Light Screen / Reflect turns is incredibly hard.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_gengar.gifSeed Flare Special Attacker@ Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power Ice

This set should be used alongside Shaymin, where Shaymin tries to lower the opponent’s Special Defense with Seed Flare. Then comes Gengar to kill off the opponents with his wide array of Special moves.

Other Options:

Hidden Power Fire can take care of Scizor. Other than that, nothing much.

Opinion:

Gengar is a very prevalent Pokémon in the Double Battling metagame. He is a great user of Explosion and can aid Explosion teams in various manners. Additionally, due to his high Speed and Special Attack stat, he can make a potent sweeper.

Dimes
05-15-2009, 09:17 PM
No Tailwind? D:

i am cool
05-16-2009, 05:19 AM
I'll add it. Now you can also post Double Battling Analysis.

But now, I will be more strict, since there aren't a lot of Pokémon to Analyze in this metagame and we need as much good quality as we can get.

Dimes
05-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't know how you missed it though, it's one of the best stratagies in Double Battles.

i am cool
07-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Just posting to say that this project hasn't been scrapped, it is still up if anyone feels the need to do a Double Battle analysis.

I'll start helping out here when I'm done with singles.

PSN_Eevee
07-25-2009, 03:49 PM
ill start toxicroak once i finish up the rotom forms in the standard pokemon analysis.

Dimes
07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
In Double Battling, Alakazam+Electivire can be effective. Role Playing Motor Drive and getting a speed boost when Electivire uses Discharge is fun.

The same can be said for Hypno+Lanturn, ect.

Statigar
07-30-2009, 04:23 PM
In Double Battling, Alakazam+Electivire can be effective. Role Playing Motor Drive and getting a speed boost when Electivire uses Discharge is fun.

The same can be said for Hypno+Lanturn, ect.

I think the best way to do this project is for analysers to do 2 pokemon at once, but as seperate threads.

Eg, open 2 notepad files and start writing about alakazam. When you get to a point about Evire, mention it on the Evire analysis, thus linking the 2.

When this gets finished,all references to pokemon will be linked to their double battling analysis.

PSN_Eevee
07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
umm, for the double battling analysis should we post it in this section or in the analysis workshop?

Statigar
07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
umm, for the double battling analysis should we post it in this section or in the analysis workshop?

post here. :D

PSN_Eevee
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
ok, one regigigas coming up!
along with a slobro.

Statigar
07-31-2009, 07:09 AM
ok, one regigigas coming up!
Along with a slobro.
<333333333333

PSN_Eevee
07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
and now that i ddid regigigas i need to do slobro before anything else, right?