PDA

View Full Version : Delcatty Analysis.

i am cool
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
First and foremost, this has been done by Zero Mugen; so don't give me credit for this, I only fixed some grammar and formatting errors.

I'm just posting this for him.

Delcatty:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/delcatty.png

Summary:

Most Used Delcatty Set:

When going up against Delcatty, you'll usually be facing the Baton Pass set. With the ability to pass a Wish and/or boosted Special Attack, it's a good candidate for the job. Additionally, it possesses a flabbergasting support movepool to help with the job as well. Although, it can't take many hits. The Wish/Protect factor of Delcatty keeps this set up and running. Substitute does a good job of allowing the set up as well.

Usual Counters:

From a standard point of view, what doesn't counter Delcatty? Looking at lower tiers, Delcatty has to worry about Persian and Hitmonlee due to their possession of the Limber Ability; thus rendering Thunder Wave useless. Any defensive Pokémon that resists Normal-type moves will neutralize Delcatty almost entirely. As for Normalize, Ghost-types laugh at any attempt Delcatty makes, aside from Baton Passing. Delcatty is also no big fan of Taunt or Substitute, as they hamper Delcatty's competitive ability. In the lowest of tiers, nothing holds threat to Delcatty, yet it has no advantage either.

Types Of Teams Delcatty Is Used On:

You'll encounter Delcatty on some Baton Passing teams. Most of the time, it will be found in the Under Used tier or lower. On UU teams, it makes a pretty decent support Pokémon.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_delcatty.gifCM / Wish Baton Passer@ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind / Wish
- Substitute / Protect
- Body Slam / Sing

As mentioned previously, you will mainly be running into this Delcatty set. It makes a decent Baton Passer in the lower tiers, but beware of its frailty. You have a choice between Substitute and Protect. Protect is useful for scouting you opponent's moves, but aside from that it just delays the inevitable. Substitute is recommended since it provides protection against status moves, and allows Delcatty to set up at least one Calm Mind. Calm Mind and Wish just depend on what type of Baton Passer you prefer. Body Slam gives Delcatty somewhat of an offense, but doesn't prove too well. Sing can Sleep a Pokémon for a free set up; however, its accuracy is atrocious.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_delcatty.gifNormalizer@ Leftovers
Ability: Normalize
EVs: 172 / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

- Thunder Wave
- Sing
- Heal Bell / Baton Pass / Wish
- Return / Double-Edge / Sucker Punch

Here's a nice chance to utilize Delcatty's unique Ability. Normalize grants Delcatty a way to Paralyze pesky Ground-types. This will destroy any Dugtrio, who would otherwise wall you. Although, it’s not recommended to use Delcatty in the Over Used tier. This set also offers a way to scout your opponent's team. Sing and Thunder Wave help force switches, while Baton Pass can give you an opportunity to send in a counter. Heal Bell takes care of status, and Wish makes Delcatty capable of healing your team mates. Return and Double-Edge are for the offensive aspect of this set. In addition, Normalize gives you a STAB Sucker Punch to take care of faster Pokémon.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_delcatty.gifAssistant@ Salac Berry
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) Or Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

- Assist
- Substitute
- Return / Body Slam
- Payback / Faint Attack / Sucker Punch

A set that I would refer to as: "Strictly for pros.”. With this set, you may want to consider pairing Delcatty up with something that can spread status. Substitute provides some protection that you will most definitely need. If the Salac Berry boost comes into play then there isn't much to worry about. Return allows for more power, but you can stick with Body Slam if you want to go with the chance of Paralysis. Between the last 3 moves, they all hit Ghost-types hard. Sucker Punch is useful for Ghost-types who are faster than you, which will be the case most of the time. Payback is the safer option though. Make sure to pack your team with Pokémon that can destroy Steel and Rock-types as well.

Other Options:

Delcatty has a rather diverse movepool if you want to attempt an offensive set. It also packs Captivate and Charm if you want to offensively weaken an unsuspecting switch in. Baton Passing with Psych Up isn't a bad idea. For you risky players, Attract can lead to a set up for Baton Pass, or even an attempt at a stall with Toxic.

Opinion:

Delcatty's huge movepool is something to admire until you get a glimpse at its stats. Its unique Normalize Ability gives you a way to Thunder Wave Ground-types. On the down side, it offers no type coverage and practically welcomes Ghost-types. However, the support factor is something to look into. Aside from support and the element of surprise, Delcatty doesn't really have too much to offer.

Dimes
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Drifblim with CB is just as bad. =/

And I meant sets that are actually meant to do the job. Wish Passing can be pulled off better with 252 speed. Oh and please point out the specs set. I haven't seen one.

Zero Mugen
05-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Drifblim with CB is just as bad. =/

And I meant sets that are actually meant to do the job. Wish Passing can be pulled off better with 252 speed. Oh and please point out the specs set. I haven't seen one.

not a bad idea, i'll get right on it :)

i am cool
05-24-2009, 02:59 AM
Delcatty has a 65 base Atk stat, Drifblim is at 80.

I guess a CB set is viable, though, I recommend you stress that it is terribly walled by Steel and Ghost-types. In addition, inform us that it needs to be paired up with a Steel-killer (such as Magnezone) to work to its fullest.

Choice Specs isn't viable. 252 Speed isn't aiding Delcatty against anything.

Thx fatman.

Dimes
05-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Delcatty has a 65 base Atk stat, Drifblim is at 80.

I guess a CB set is viable, though, I recommend you stress that it is terribly walled by Steel and Ghost-types. In addition, inform us that it needs to be paired up with a Steel-killer (such as Magnezone) to work to its fullest.

Choice Specs isn't viable. 252 Speed isn't aiding Delcatty against anything.

Thx fatman.

No.

Delcatty does not get walled by Ghosts and Steels easily it gets BOTH Sucker Punch and Wake Up Slap. Delcatty also has a movepool that is just like that of Drifblim's on the Special Spectrum.

And if Delcatty does not need 252 speed because it's slow, then why do most of the sets have +Speed natures?