PDA

View Full Version : Volbeat Analysis.

i am cool
05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
First and foremost, this has been done by Zero Mugen; so don't give me credit for this, I only fixed some grammar and formatting errors.

I'm just posting this for him.

Volbeat:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/volbeat.png

Summary:

Most Used Volbeat Set:

Volbeat usually runs a Choice Band set. This being just about the only set to show the little potential that Volbeat possesses. Its diverse movepool and 493 Attack stat make this set a force to be reckoned with. Volbeat holds the element of surprise as well since it is scarcely used, if used at all.

Usual Counters:

Volbeat is usually taken down by anything offensive that outspeeds it. Because of its fragile defenses, even walls with an attacking moving can pose a threat to it. Choice sets are countered with good prediction, as is almost any Choice Pokémon. In addition, Stealth Rock poses a huge threat to Volbeat. Taking 25% damage on the switch makes even the choice set a struggle to use properly.

Types of Teams Volbeat Is Used On:

Volbeat is something you may run into in the Under Used tier, but it’s extremely rare. You may encounter it on an UU team of great originality, being used by trainers that go that extra mile to be original. Although rare, you may even find it on Baton Pass teams, even though its BPing attributes are clearly outdone by Minun.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_volbeat.gifTail Glow Passer@ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 228 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

- Tail Glow
- Encore / Bug Buzz
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

For those who stray away from the Choice sets, the BP set is for you. You want a Timid Nature to take advantage of Volbeat's decent Speed. 295 Speed allows you to outspeed anything with Base 80 Speed. Encore should be used against Stealth Rockers, or set up Pokémon in general, giving you opportunity to make a successful Baton Pass. However, Bug Buzz may be preferred; as without you’ll have no attacking moves. Tail Glow boosted Bug Buzz can do a whopping as long as it isn't resisted. Overall, Minun does it better, but if you're feeling risky then this is the way to go.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_volbeat.gifScarfbeat@ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) Or Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

Here's a revenge killer for you guys. It gives a pretty decent boost to Volbeat's already average Speed. Adamant is the better Nature since it gives that extra push to Volbeat's Attack stat. However, Jolly allows you to outspeed Base 75 Scarfers, and Electrode.

The moveset holds some nice coverage which adds a factor to revenge killing. STAB U-turn is a viable threat to Psychic-types, and provides a nice way to scout out your opponent's team for any counters they may switch in. Zen Headbutt covers those fragile Fighting and Poison-types. Brick Break puts a dent in those Steel-types, whom are usually used to wall Volbeat.

The two elemental punches listed here give you good coverage. Both are supportive against Flying-types, but individually cover others types as well. Ice Punch covers Ground and Dragon-types, and Thunder Punch covers Water-types. Ice Punch is preferred since it covers more overall.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_volbeat.gifBanded Beat@ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Def
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) Or Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick / Aerial Ace / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch
- Brick Break / Focus Punch

And finally, the icing on the cake. Not exactly an UU Heracross, but it gets the job done. Starting with Nature once more, Jolly is recommended to get full use of that base 85 Base Speed stat. This will outspeed Base 80 Speed Pokémon. But for those who prefer power, an Adamant Nature gives you a hefty 493 Attack stat to play with.

A STAB Choice Band boosted U-turn is a threat to anything that doesnt resist it, not taking walls into account. As usual, Zen Headbutt covers those pesky Psychic and Grass-types. Trick is a good option if you want to incapacitate walls that attempt to switch in, or Specially offensive Pokémon attempting to set up. Aerial Ace is for opposing Bug-types, but Zen Headbutt seems to tackle that just a well, seeing how fragile Bug-types are.

As with the last set, the elemental punches hit those types that could pose a threat to Volbeat. Trick or Ice Punch are recommended but the other two moves work decently. Brick Break is to give a heavy hit on unsuspecting Steel-types, as well as Normal and Rock-types that aren't covered otherwise. Focus Punch is for those who prefer a little more power and have a strength in prediction.

Other Options:

As far as a Special set goes, Charge Beam can help, but is clearly outclassed by Tail Glow. Physically, Return and Double-Edge can be a good option. If you want to go supportive, Volbeat has Confuse Ray, Light Screen, Toxic, Swagger, and Thunder Wave in its arsenal. Roost and Moonlight work nicely for recovery.

Opinion:

As far as Baton Passing goes, Volbeat is clearly outclassed by Minun. Seeing how Minun is faster and doesn't have a bad Stealth Rock weakness. It carries a decent movepool which is a definite plus, but is outdone in its roles for a team. Mentioned earlier, Minun Baton Passes better and there are many Pokémon that make better use of the Choice roles. Volbeat can make a pretty unexpected surprise, being that no one really uses it. Otherwise, its only other use would be for originality.

Zero Mugen
05-21-2009, 08:06 PM
i had a lead set i wanted to throw in, but i was a little skeptical about it. it did decently when i tested it though.

i am cool
05-22-2009, 03:36 AM
If you want to add it, just PM me.