PDA

View Full Version : Mantine Analysis

Milos
06-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Mantine:

http://www.gtsplus.net/files/images/art/shiny/226.png

Summary:

Most Used Mantine Set:

Mantine's most used set is probably the Special Wall set. It allows Mantine to practically counter half of the Special Attackers in the Under Used environment. Mantine can use STAB Surfs to fire back at the opponent, albeit Mantine possesses a mediocre Special Attack stat. Mantine's typing gives it Water/Flying STAB that can hit many Pokémon in the UU metagame super effectively.

Usual Counters:

Mantine is easily countered by any Pokémon that resists its STAB moves. A prime example of this is Lanturn, which can launch Super Effective Thunderbolts against Mantine. Pokémon with strong Physical moves can defeat Mantine because of its poor Defense. Mantine's part Flying typing prevents it from coming in too many times, as Stealth Rock will strip 25% damage every time Mantine decides to switch in.

Types Of Teams Mantine Is Used On:

Mantine can generally be placed on any team, serving as a sponge for Special Attacks. Mantine can also be useful in stopping Rain Dance sweepers such as Omastar and Gorebyss. Mantine is immune to Ground attacks and resists Water and Fighting, three very common types in the Under Used environment.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_mantine.gifSpecial Wall@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Spe
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

- Surf
- Hidden Power Flying
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

With Mantine's monstrous 140 Special Defense stat, it is no surprise that this is the most used set. Mantine has many chances to switch in and start stalling, thanks to its immunity to Ground and its ability to defeat most Special Attackers. Surf and Hidden Power Flying are staples on this set, allowing Mantine to get dual STAB and hit the majority of the Under Used environment Super Effectively. Ice Beam is used for Flying, Ground, and Grass-types.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_mantine.gif Sleeping Beauty@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)

- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Surf / Ice Beam
- Toxic / Hidden Power Flying

This Mantine serves as a status absorber and overall bulky wall. Rest and Sleep Talk are obvious choices here, as they allow Mantine to stall out Pokémon. Surf can be used for STAB, but Ice Beam can be an alternative to hit the common Grass and Ground-types in UU. Toxic is the preferred option in the last slot, as it allows Mantine to outstall and beat Pokémon that it otherwise couldn't. Hidden Power Flying is still an option nonetheless, and hits the omnipresent Grass-types in UU harder than Ice Beam.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_mantine.gif Rain Dance@ Damp Rock / Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)

- Rain Dance
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Electric / Toxic
- Ice Beam

Using Mantine to set up Rain is very easy thanks to its ridiculous Special Defense stat. Once Rain Dance is set up, Mantine will be outspeeding practically everything in the Under Used tier, bar Choice Scarf users and other Swift Swimmers. Surf should be your primary choice; although, Hydro Pump can be used for the extra power, especially under the Rain.

The choice of what Hidden Power to use is a tricky one. Hidden Power Grass will maim Pokémon like Quagsire that can otherwise use Stone Edge and destroy Mantine; however, it has very little effect on Lanturn. Hidden Power Electric can be used for other Water-type Pokemon, such as Gorebyss and Huntail, but renders you completely walled by Pokémon such as Lanturn and Quagsire. Toxic is an option in the third moveslot as well.

Other Options:

Mantine has access to Aqua Ring, but it is generally not useful. Mantine also learns Confuse Ray, which can be used in tandem with Toxic damage to help Mantine stall out its opponents further. Haze can be used against Calm Minding Pokémon such as Golduck or Lunatone. Finally, Mirror Coat is an option against weaker Special Attackers to hopefully bounce back their attack and score a possible KO.

Opinion:

At a glance, one can easily assume that Mantine fits the role of a Special wall. Unfortunately, Mantine's typing gives it the curse of being 4x weak to Electric attacks and taking 25% damage from Stealth Rock. Mantine, however, has very useful Abilities in Swift Swim and Water Absorb, allowing Mantine to provide vital support for the team by setting up Rain Dance and becoming a deadly sweeper itself.

zod
06-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Types Of Teams Mantine Is Used On:

Mantine can generally be placed on any team, given the ability that it has to wall most of UU's special Rain Dance attackers, such as Omastar and Gorebyss. Mantine also sports an immunity to Ground attacks, and resists Ice, Water, and Fighting, three very common types in UU.

It doesnt resist Ice, you can substitute that for flying. Also maybe add a hazer or Mirror Coat set?!? idk up to you

Everything is nice but it seems somewhat like smogons when i look at it. Its not the sets its just the wording of things =/

Milos
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
ok ill change that. actually zod i specifically tried not to sound like smogon. ill try to rephrase it, but if it doesnt work, ill delete it.

i am cool
06-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I trust that Milos didn't Copy from Smogon...

Anyways, Mantine doesn't resist Flying either, haha. You can substitute that with Steel...Although, it's such an uncommon type, so just delete the mention of 3 awesome resistances, and put 2 awesome resistances instead.

Milos
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
lol k fixing it

i am cool
06-04-2009, 03:00 PM
"Mantine is immune to Ground attacks and resists Water and Fighting, two very common types in the Under Used environment."

I count 3.

Milos
06-04-2009, 03:09 PM
i was talking about only water and fighting but ill fix it up again

i am cool
06-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Edited.

I loathe coding and formating...Sorry for the wait.

Milos
06-06-2009, 03:50 PM
let me fix up the coding and stuff and you took away yet another of my sexy pics....

edit: rechecked over the analysis, and iac "super effectively" is not capitalized. but otherwise good job!

i am cool
06-07-2009, 01:59 AM
I would prefer Arkeis for now, since no one has voted on what Pictures to use yet. I always thought "super effectively" should be capitalized...Damn it.

Oh and, Milos this is your own Analysis...you don't credit people for fixing it up (D). Seems awkward to me.

Milos
06-07-2009, 02:45 AM
my bad iac i love you <33333333 so its all good