PDA

View Full Version : Shedinja Analysis

Milos
06-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Shedinja

http://www.gtsplus.net/files/images/art/sugimori/292.png

Summary:

Most Used Shedinja Set:

Shedinja's most used set is easily the set using Swords Dance. Shedinja's decent Attack stat is raised by Swords Dance, and thanks to Shedinja's unique Ability, Wonder Guard, Shedinja will have a plethora of opportunities to set up.

Usual Counters:

Basically, any Pokémon with a Fire-type move that doesn't take too much from Shedinja's attacks will KO it. Since Shedinja has a measly HP stat of 1, (yes you heard right, 1!), secondary damage such as Spikes or Stealth Rock will KO Shedinja on the switch. Ideal counters for Shedinja will also carry the move Pursuit, meaning that Shedinja will faint if it decides to stay in or not.

Types Of Teams Shedinja Is Used On:

Shedinja is a tricky Pokémon to use. To effectively use Shedinja, one must have a Pokémon that can use Rapid Spin to get rid of entry hazards such as Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes; that way, they won't kill Shedinja. Shedinja isn't a team player, since any move that is super effective will kill Shedinja no matter how weak the attack is. Therefore, Shedinja usually has teams centered around it, rather that contributing to teams itself.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_shedinja.gifSwords Dance@Focus Sash/ Lum Berry
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Nature: Lonely

-Swords Dance
-X-Scissor
-Shadow Sneak/ Sucker Punch
-Toxic/ Will-O-Wisp

Shedinja's unique Ability, Wonder Guard, coupled with Swords Dance and its fair Attack stat allow Shedinja to become a threatening physical sweeper. Swords Dance is the crux of this set, allowing Shedinja to increase his already moderate Attack stat. X-Scissor will be Shedinja's primary move, as it is the strongest of Shedinja's STAB Bug moves. Shadow Sneak is the preferable option here, as it allows Shedinja to KO Pokémon first that would otherwise kill Shedinja, such as a Gengar using Shadow Ball. Sucker Punch is a viable option as well, netting surprise kills and generally being a strong priority move, although it limits Shedinja to only one STAB attack. Finally, Toxic or Will-o-wisp are both viable choices for the last slot. Toxic can be used to incapacitate many of Shedinja's switch-ins, leaving them a nasty surprise as you switch out. Will-o-wisp can cripple physical attackers such as Scizor (although, hitting Scizor with a Will-o-wisp would require a lot of prediction) and allow Shedinja to switch out.

A Lonely Nature is used to maximize Shedinja's Attack stat, but Adamant or Jolly are also viable. 252 Attack and Speed EV's are needed to fully take advantage of Shedinja's attacking potential.

The option of what Item to use is definitely up to preferrance: Focus Sash allows Shedinja to retain all of its HP, but afterwards leaves Shedinja susceptible to status moves such as Toxic and Will-o-wisp. Lum Berry on the other hand, cures Shedinja of any status ailments.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_shedinja.gifTricks Are For Kids!@Choice Band/ Choice Scarf
Nature: Lonely

-Trick
-X-Scissor
-Sucker Punch/ Shadow Sneak
-Will-O-Wisp/ Swords Dance

Shedinja has access to one of the most crippling moves in the game: Trick. Tricking a Choice Band onto a special attacker can debilitate common switch-ins and will cause your opponent trouble if it is Tricked onto a wall like Blissey or Cresselia. Once you have Tricked away your item of choice (no pun intended) you can proceed to use any of your other moves. X-Scissor is going to be Shedinja's primary attacking option once again, and the choice between Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch both aid in type coverage well. A Choice Banded Shadow Sneak won't be hurting much, and as such, Sucker Punch is the favored option. In the last slot, either Will-o-wisp or Swords Dance make fine options. Will-o-wisp can cripple physical attackers and burn things in general, while one can use Swords Dance to set up and basically become the standard Swords Dance Shedinja.

The EV's and Nature are once again geared to amplify Shedinja's offensive power, but the option of which item to use is definitely up to you. Choice Band is the preferable choice, allowing you to render Pokémon such as Heatran basically useless. Choice Scarf, however, is perfectly feasable, allowing you to outrun Pokémon such as Choice Band Scizor and essentially making him useless with a Scarf.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_shedinja.gifBaton Pass Sheddy@Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant

-Baton Pass
-Toxic/ Will-O-Wisp
-Heal Block
-Shadow Sneak/ Sucker Punch/ X-Scissor

Shedinja is one of the blessed Pokémon that can use Baton Pass, however, out of all Pokémon that learn Baton Pass, Shedinja is the only one that cannot pass a simple Substitute. Baton Pass is still an operable move on Shedinja, allowing it to scout for counters and even switch out unscathed. Toxic or Will-o-wisp are both possible selections for the second slot. Toxic is the more commonly used move, due to the fact that it allows Shedinja to poison Pokémon that do not pose a threat to it, such as Suicune, Kingdra, or Raikou. Will-o-wisp is still a viable option nonetheless, allowing Shedinja to cripple physical attackers and generally spread status. Heal Block is a great addition to this set, allowing Shedinja to prevent Pokémon that try to heal up from poison or burn damage, and force them to attack, putting Shedinja in a great spot to Baton Pass to a potential counter. The choice for the last slot is a crucial one. Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch both make great options, letting Shedinja outspeed Pokémon like Gengar and Azelf, and hit them super effectively first. X-Scissor, as always, provides a reliable STAB option that can hurt Psychic and Grass-types commonly found in both the Under Used tier as well as the Over Used tier.

Other Options:

Shedinja's movepool is limited, so there aren't many other moves Shedinja has to work with. Shedinja gets Protect, but it usually ends up taking up a moveslot that Shedinja will need. Bug Bite can halt Pokémon such as Empoleon from sweeping. In addition, said Pokémon cannot do anything back to Shedinja.

Opinion

When Shedinja was made, the people at Game Freak decided to give Shedinja a mixed bag. On one hand, they gave Shedinja a marvelous Ability in Wonder Guard, preventing anything but a super effective hit to damage Shedinja. On the other hand, they gave Shedinja 3 traits that prevented Shedinja from ever becoming a top contender in OU: a limited movepool, mediocre typing, and a wretched HP stat of 1. And to make matters worse, they introduced a new move in the 4th Generation that proved to be the bane of Shedinja: Stealth Rock. However, when paired with a Pokémon that can use Rapid Spin, Shedinja becomes an often overlooked threat, capable of decimating teams late game, once possible threats are gone.

P.S I worked really hard on this :p

i am cool
06-07-2009, 07:46 AM
A comma is needed after "Basically" in the "Usual Counters" section. You also might want to put "read" instead of "yes, you heard right, 1!". An accent aigu can be put in "Pokemon"; you can get that by pressing Alt + 130.

To effectively use Shedinja, one must have a Pokemon that can use Rapid Spin to get rid of entry hazards such as Stealth Rock, Spikes and Toxic Spikes so they won't kill Shedinja. -----> To effectively use Shedinja, one must have a Pokémon that can use Rapid Spin to get rid of entry hazards such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes; that way, they won't kill Shedinja. On TU we use: Tom, James, and Mac.

In the first set, when referring to Shedinja's Ability, Wonder Guard, Ability should be capitalized. If you're talking about his ability to do something, then don't capitalize ability.

You also have a problem with its and it's. It's stands for it is, re-read the sentences and make sure that "it is" can work in their place. I.E.: coupled with Swords Dance and it's fair Attack stat allow Shedinja to become a threatening physical sweeper. It should be "its".

Put a comma after although and a semi-colon before it when used in the middle of a sentence. It's in the first paragraph of the first set.

It's Will-o-wisp, not Will-O-Wisp. Parentheses should be separated from a word / sentence, might be a typo or a coding error but w/e. (although hitting Scizor with a Will-O-Wisp would require much prediction), a lot of is better instead of much.

No apostrophe after EVs, it indicates "Effort Values", not "Effort Value's". You weren't using it here as a possession, so no apostrophe.

You misspelled preference, the vowel before the last is not an "a" (it's not preferance). Item is capitalized.

"Focus Sash allows Shedinja to retain all of it's HP.", its instead of it's. Lum Berry is used as a conjunction like but, so commas are needed before and after it. "Lum Berry, on the other hand, cures Shedinja of any status ailments.".

No pun intended sounds, unprofessional...I might consider keeping it, though.

"Once you have Tricked away your item of choice (no pun intended), you...". You used preferable in the first set, which is correct, then you used preferrable in the second paragraph of the second set.

"Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch both make great options, letting Shedinja outspeed Pokemon like Gengar and Azelf, and hitting them super effectively first." A comma isn't needed before ",and", and you should rephrase it into: Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch both make great options, letting Shedinja outspeed Pokemon like Gengar and Azelf, and hit them super effectively first.

"X-Scissor, as always, provides a reliable STAB option that can hurt Psychic and Grass-types commonly found in both the Under Used tier as well as the Over Used tier." Commas please. Hyphens please, it's Grass-types, not Grass types.

"Bug Bite can halt Pokemon from sweeping such as Empoleon, who generally can't do anything back to Shedinja. " it can be rephrased as: But Bite can halt Pokémon such as Empoleon from sweeping. In addition, said Pokémon cannot do anything back to Shedinja.

"On the other hand, however, ...", you can't use On the other hand and however in the same sentence, delete however since it was used later on. "...often-overlooked threat", no need for a hyphen here.

I can tell you worked really hard on this.

I'm going to grade you: 24 mistakes. About 15 were minor, and most were wording issues. An average person should at least make about...45 mistakes.

My point? You did a damn excellent job! I just posted the mistakes so you can do even less mistakes, hopefully becoming an expert analyzer!

Thanks for your contirbutions <3, I'm looking forward to your analyses; you're a huge aid to TU. Maybe you're the one I've been looking for to help me with revamps...maybe you are...

Milos
06-07-2009, 04:13 PM
sorry for all those mistakes, i was making this at midnight =p
anyways, i always thought that it was 'Will-O-Wisp', but w.e
oh and i made the no pun intended thing to keep viewers, idk....captivated? reading a big in-depth paragraph may bore some people, so i thought it would be good..
also, the only reason im not doing revamps is because you said you were working on them..but once i have like 20 analyses or so, can i help you with some revamps? just asking

oh and thanks for the edits <33333

i am cool
06-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll open the Revamps for other people in a later stage, you're a great consideration though.

Dimes
06-09-2009, 08:12 PM
On a more serious note, why does BP Sheddy have Hasty? I'd rather have Adamant if you are BPing an SD and using a STAB Priority move.

SkyNet
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Whoo! all I can say is this is an excellant Analysis probably the best one I have seen on TU.

Well done Milos <3

Milos
06-09-2009, 10:11 PM
it was for speed but it's not really needed, adamant can go in it's place

i am cool
06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Fatman makes a certainly decent point.

If it's not a huge bother, can you please edit the analyses with my suggestions and fatman's suggestion?

Milos
06-10-2009, 04:03 PM
theyre fixed. although i cant do the alt+130 to get the aigu on Pokemon

i am cool
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I'll fix that.

FriendlyGiant
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
first time i have sen a A shedninja analasis before....i was thinking of using one b4 i saw this, but now....i think it deserves a spot in my next team

i am cool
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm really happy this helped you know how to use Shedinja and why, because that's the primary use of analyses. I recommend the first set, but if you don't want a team to be centered around it; then just use the second / third set.

FriendlyGiant
06-11-2009, 04:14 PM
yh, i was thinking bout the first set but ill give it ood thought. Its a very good analysis.

Milos
06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
thank you

FriendlyGiant
06-11-2009, 04:30 PM
np man, you deserve it ;) hope it helps many other people

WetPaint
06-11-2009, 06:02 PM
mine
will o wisp
ss
x-s
protact

obvious evs@focus sash
It pwns xD

Milos
06-11-2009, 08:30 PM
tell me what it can do and i might add it

Dimes
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Noob Sand Strom Shedinja's MY idea that I ripped off of SOME GUY.

Milos
06-11-2009, 09:23 PM
ss is shadow sneak not sandstorm...

F L Y G O N
08-03-2009, 05:28 AM
yea, i saw a shedinja on a hail team o.0

DarXidE
08-03-2009, 05:48 AM
yea, i saw a shedinja on a hail team o.0

since u bumped this topic, i thought i might say this:

milos, both agility and swords dance are options on the baton pass set. just options.

Milos
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
since u bumped this topic, i thought i might say this:

milos, both agility and swords dance are options on the baton pass set. just options.

Actually darx, they aren't. It is impossible to obtain both Swords Dance and Agility and Baton Pass. It is only possible to have Agility+Baton Pass or Swords Dance+Baton Pass.

Iris
08-09-2009, 07:09 PM
i thought it was either agility, baton pass or SD. I thought you couldn't have any of the three together. ill look it up real quick

Edit: Note that Shedinja can only have Agility, Swords Dance, OR Baton Pass on a set at the same time. Any combination of the three is impossible to obtain and is therefore illegal.

Smogon

Milos
08-09-2009, 07:13 PM
alright thanks iris

i am cool
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Fix this Milos .-.

FYS-guard
08-10-2009, 01:34 AM
i thought it was either agility, baton pass or SD. I thought you couldn't have any of the three together. ill look it up real quick

Edit: Note that Shedinja can only have Agility, Swords Dance, OR Baton Pass on a set at the same time. Any combination of the three is impossible to obtain and is therefore illegal.

Smogon

Don't those dickheads know that swords dance is a TM? >__>

Shadow Sneak is the preferable option here, as it allows Shedinja to KO Pokémon first that would otherwise kill Shedinja, such as a Gengar with Hidden Power Fire.

I have yet to see a gengar without shadow ball OR some form of ghost move for that matter. No need to bother listing hp fire. XP

Good job nonetheless.

Milos
08-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Don't those dickheads know that swords dance is a TM? >__>

I have yet to see a gengar without shadow ball OR some form of ghost move for that matter. No need to bother listing hp fire. XP

Good job nonetheless.

facapalm lol ill change that

Larainge
01-08-2010, 12:52 AM
what about sandstorm or hail it kills on one hit and i have it on my team so i dont use it on my team

bobphillip
02-06-2010, 01:35 AM
Shedinja's most used set is easily the Swords Dance set(No need for extra verbs). Shedinja's decent Attack stat is raised by Swords Dance, and thanks to Shedinja's unique Ability, Wonder Guard, Shedinja will have a plethora of opportunities to set up.

Besides that not much else.