PDA

View Full Version : Smeargle Analysis Revamp

dachickens
06-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Original analysis (http://teamuber.net/forum/showthread.php?t=122)

Here's a short list of what I did:

Added Summary
Moved Belly Passer to Other Options (not that viable anymore)
Took out Zeus' Creation but added a few sets that have the same idea.
Added some of my own sets as well as some Smogon standards
Added Opinion

Smeargle

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/smeargle.png

HP: 55
Atk: 20
Def: 35
SpA: 20
SpD: 45
Spe: 75

Summary:

Most used set:

Smeargle learns every single move ever created, and as such it is very unpredictable. However, its offenses are terrible, so most of the time it will be seen running a Baton Pass set of some sorts. In any case, it will always run Spore.

Usual counters:

Taunters who are faster than Smeargle completely shut it down, as the only damaging moves Smeargle can use decently are Explosion and weak set-damage moves like Dragon Rage. To make matters worse, most Smeargle don't even carry damaging attacks, so it will be forced to switch out. Sleep Talkers are great Spore absorbers, thus nullifying Smeargle's greatest advantage. In general, though, anything with reasonably powerful attacks can blow this fragile Pokemon into oblivion, as its 55/35/45 defenses are easily defeated.

Types of teams Smeargle is used on:

As stated earlier, Smeargle is usually used as a Baton Pass lead. However, the Suicide Status Support set is often found on offensive or balanced teams seeking a quick advantage against opposing leads.

In depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon/i_dooburu.gif
Standard Baton Passer @ Shed Shell / Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Ability: 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe

- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Ingrain
- Spider Web / Substitute

Though many anti-leads have now developed to counter this set, it is still a solid threat against unprepared opponents. The idea is to Spore the opponent, Ingrain on the switch to prevent phazers from Roaring or Whirlwinding you away, and Baton Passing to the next member of your team. The last move is a matter of preference. Spider Web allows you to trap-pass, which forces one member of your opponent's team to face your entire chain alone. This can prove extremely useful if you trap a support member who cannot deal much damage to Smeargle's teammates. The alternative is to pass Substitute instead. Substitute works as a nice status and damage shield, but in most cases trap-passing is probably the superior option. As for the item, Shed Shell allows Smeargle to flee from foes seeking to destroy it after it "traps" itself with Ingrain, while Focus Sash allows this set to function as a lead. However, many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore, though.

Suicide Status Support @ Choice Scarf

- Trick
- Spore
- Thunder Wave
- Lunar Dance / Memento

With smart play and a little luck, this set has the potential to cripple up to half of your opponent's team. As a lead, Trick the Scarf onto your opponent's lead. This set works especially well against common leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl by outspeeding them while they attempt to use Taunt, stealing their Focus Sash, and locking them into one move. If they Taunt you, you can switch out and switch back in later with impunity. Most teams only have one Stealth Rock user, and that Pokemon is usually the lead. As a result, your Focus Sash allows you to get back in safely. If they use Stealth Rock instead, they will have to switch out. This gives you an easy opportunity to status their next two switch-ins before using Memento, after which you can allow a strong but rather frail sweeper like Swords Dance Lucario to set up and sweep.

This set works well against Metagross and Jirachi when combined with Magnezone. Smeargle is immune to Trickscarf variants, since Smeargle itself has a Scarf. In addition, if their lead isn't a Trickscarf lead, Smeargle can be paired with Magnezone to trap the opposing Steel-type and lock it into a useless move. Magnezone takes puny amounts of damage from an Adamant, max Attack Metagross's Meteor Mash, so it can set up at will.

Unfortunately, though, Smeargle is rather frail. Metagross's Bullet Punch 2HKOs it, and many other leads can easily OHKO it. In those scenarios, you can opt to Spore on the first turn instead. This takes out their lead and allows you to bring in a new Pokemon without the threat of a pending attack.

This variant can also work in the middlegame, which is something that most Smeargle sets cannot boast. Bring it in on a wall like Blissey, Trick the Scarf on it, and once again status the next two switch-ins. This time, though, use Lunar Dance to heal a wounded sweeper and bring it in on either a paralyzed foe or a new switch-in. Either way, the sweeper will come in with a distinct advantage. The middlegame version can also take Toxics and Will-O-Wisps from Blissey, Dusknoir, Rotom forms, and other foes, since it can set up and suicide before the status condition kills Smeargle.

Both sets work great in conjuction with a powerful sweeper. The lead set gives your Lucario, Salamence, Metagross, etc. at least one turn to set up against either a Mementoed foe or a paralyzed and Mementoed foe before it has to start attacking. As stated earlier, Magnezone also works well with the lead version if you want to trap Metagross and Jirachi. The middlegame set, on the other hand, heals the sweeper instead of further crippling the opponent, allowing your sweeper to have a longer sweep at the expense of immediate roadkill. The middlegame strategy works better with bulkier sweepers like BulkyDos and BulkyNite, since healing is basically useless to a Pokemon that constantly gets OHKOed.

However, Smeargle is completely inept in one-on-one situations, so use it as sacrifice fodder if you have to. In addition, you must be wary of Taunters after Smeargle sheds its Scarf. Generally, this Smeargle won't be coming in safely again after it loses its Scarf, so do your best to finish its kamikaze mission without having to switch out.

Explosion can also be used as the suicide move of choice in place of Memento or Lunar Dance. If you use it, though, max out the Attack EVs. Even though Smeargle has awful Attack, Explosion does 57.92% - 68.32% to 252 HP/220 Def Celebi, at least 96.93% on 0 HP/252 Def Blissey, and even has a 41% chance to OHKO Zapdos with 252 HP/220 Def. Stun Spore deserves a mention over Thunder Wave, since it can also hit pesky Ground-types like Hippowdon and Swampert. However, the 25% accuracy drop is a turnoff, and Thunder Wave is almost always the better choice.

Entry Hazard Lead @ Focus Sash
Ability: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Spore
- Spikes
- Endeavor
- Extremespeed / Protect

This set aims to put down as many layers of Spikes as possible. Between Spore and Focus Sash, you're almost guaranteed to put down at least one layer of Spikes. Against slower leads, immediately Spore them and begin laying down the Spikes. Against faster ones, let them either hit you or set up Stealth Rock first before Sporing them. At some point, Smeargle will be down to 1 HP. That's where Endeavor comes in. Use it, preferably on a switch, to reduce an opponent's HP to 1 and then Extremespeed it. The alternative to Extremespeed is Protect, which allows you to block Fake Out and scout your opponent's first move. If you opt for Protect, use the 96 HP / 120 Def / 40 SpD / 252 Spe EV spread.

Level 1 Endeavor @ Quick Claw / Brightpowder / Focus Sash
Level: 1
Ability: 252 Atk / 252 Spe

- Spore
- Endeavor
- Dragon Rage / Extremespeed
- Substitute / Trick Room

If your opponent doesn't have a Ghost-type on their team, they are in big, big trouble. When used correctly, this set can be devastating. It's as simple as 1-2-3: Spore the opposing lead, Endeavor the switch-in, and Dragon Rage or Extremespeed for the kill. This set works even better with Hail, Toxic Spikes, and/or Sandstorm support. With this support, you don't even need the last move; the foul weather and/or poison will kill the opponent off at the end of the turn. Substitute and your item of choice give Smeargle an extra turn to do something if they kick in.

You can also run a lead version of this set by changing the item to Focus Sash and replacing Substitute with Trick Room. With this set, you can take an initial hit while surviving at one HP thanks to Focus Sash and retaliate with Spore. On the switch, activate Trick Room. This ensures that Smeargle will go first for the next few turns. Then, spam Endeavor and Dragon Rage around as needed.

Perish Trapping @ Leftovers / Salac Berry

- Spider Web
- Spore
- Substitute
- Perish Song

This set attempts to trap the opposing Pokemon, put it to sleep, set up a safety net, and start the countdown. On the first turn, use Spider Web to trap the opponent. Then, use Spore. Since it can't switch, you're guaranteed to get a Substitute up before using Perish Song. Even if your opponent wakes up prematurely, your Substitute can take a hit while you put it back to sleep again. On the final turn, get out and watch your opponent's Pokemon go down. However, this strategy will not work against Sleep Talkers, so if you see one switching in immediately pull Smeargle out.

Other Options:

Smeargle can learn every move in the game, but most moves are useless for Smeargle.

Smeargle really shouldn't have a sweeping set since its Attack and Special Attack stats are pitiful. It is also too fragile to utilize purely defensive strategies such as Dual Screening.

However, Smeargle still has a lot of decent options. Taunt prevents phazers and hazers from ruining your fun. The Spore/Transform combo is useful for setting up mirror matches against sleeping opponents. Nasty Plot is another option, but the faster, stronger, and bulkier Togekiss outclasses Smeargle in this department. Belly Drum is great for fast boosting, but with its fragility it usually can't afford to sacrifice half of its health.

Opinion:

Smeargle is the most versatile Pokemon ever created, and as such it is a great support option. It can create unique combinations that are good beyond reason, and it can screw over teams at a moment's notice. Do not underestimate this artistic Pokemon simply because of its poor stats.

i am cool
06-25-2009, 04:32 AM
Dude, I can't wait when this is finished! This is such an excellent analyses Revamp; the Suicide Status Support set comments were just the right thing we need...Dude, welcome to the team.

2 more analyses and James MUST give you and Milos the Expert Analyser rank.

dachickens
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Dude, I can't wait when this is finished! This is such an excellent analyses Revamp; the Suicide Status Support set comments were just the right thing we need...Dude, welcome to the team.

In any case, I think I'm done. If anybody sees mistakes in this revamp, please notify me.

i am cool
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Smeargle is not a dog. It's an artistic Pokémon. It's usual counters, not common counters. Change "Many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore though." to either "Many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore, though." or "Although, many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore."

"This set works especially well against common leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl by outspeeding their Taunt.." I'd rather replace that with "This set works especially well against common leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl by outspeeding them while they attempt to use Taunt...". "Momentoing" can be changed to "using Momento".

I don't see any further mistakes; they're just minor nitpicks I though of, I'll update this post if I find more.

dachickens
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Smeargle is not a dog. It's an artistic Pokémon. It's usual counters, not common counters. Change "Many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore though." to either "Many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore, though." or "Although, many opposing leads will outspeed and Taunt Smeargle before it can Spore."

"This set works especially well against common leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl by outspeeding their Taunt.." I'd rather replace that with "This set works especially well against common leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl by outspeeding them while they attempt to use Taunt...". "Momentoing" can be changed to "using Momento".

I don't see any further mistakes; they're just minor nitpicks I though of, I'll update this post if I find more.

I've fixed the stuff you talked about up until now; I will proofread it again later today when I have some time.

Milos
06-25-2009, 10:03 PM

i think i deserved mine a long time ago.......I AM MAKING AN ANALYSIS TODAY. yea i havent made one in a while but i figured after i made like 5 in a row i should take a break. but dont worry im making one right now :D

i am cool
06-26-2009, 06:03 AM
I think you should make like 9 or something to get it Milos. However, you've been a great assistance to the Analysis section.