PDA

View Full Version : Riley (OU)

Seth Vilo
06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Hello all.

Jumping right in, the concept and planning of this team has been in production for a month or two in my attempts to create a good, primary team to use everywhere.This is try two for a good primary team, and also happens to be a fun one for a reason not many people pick up on:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/sekritash/DPPimping/riley.gif
This is the ninth, finest, and possibly final version of my Riley-based team. This concept has gone through nine major revamps, and several little tweaks in between. I know it may be considered somewhat gimmicky, but I've found it works well, and is just fun to use. I simply call this team “Riley”, as all the Pokemon on it are from what the Attack “stat-trainer”, Riley, uses in the games. I always thought him as my favorite character in the games, as well as what I've seen of him in the TV show (and his Sir Aaron counterpart in the movies), so I wanted to make a team around him. You can check Riley and his Pokemon out here. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Riley) Many of the Pokemon are from the Smogon analysis area, so if you're interested, by all means, go take a look! (http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/)

**At a Glance**

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpffa/dpffa473.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb130.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb448.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpffa/dpffa373.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb376.pnghttp://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfb/dpmfb286.png

Yes I know... Lots of blue... Unintended, I swear...

The Lead:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/mamoswine.png
Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
---
The newest addition to the team is the Mamoswine lead. In all other versions, this space was occupied by a lead Gallade, who was awesome, but didn't quite fit in with the rest of the team, if you know what I mean. With a Life Orb, as many of you know, Earthquake from this Mamoswine always OHKO's the lead version of Metagross and Heatran, while Ice Shard 2HKO's Aerodactyl, and gives a heavy hit to Azelf. Swampert is usually 2 or 3HKO'd by a combination of those. That's a good few common leads covered. I love using him as the lead because of the unnecessary hate for the more and more common Metagross leads I have. Don't know why, I just hate them, and love to watch them faint... For all you Stealth Rock fanatics out there, this lead of mine actually has it for once, and is good at setting it up. However, in my battles it's usually up only half the time... Mamoswine is too busy actually killing things instead of setting up entry hazards. I sometimes send her in later to set em' up, though. Yes it's a her. I HAVE actually seen Attract leads on Shoddy which have messed me up, so I made it female to be sure to negate that idea, as well as another member of my team, Salamence for the same reason. Protect is a saving grace in many situations, like against Fake-Out leads. I can also us Protect to scout exactly what the lead wants to do and send in a counter - ex.) Choice Scarf Breloom lead uses Spore instead of Superpower- I send in Gyarados to take it and Sleep Talk. Also, Protect allows me to stall out Rain Dance, Gravity, or Trick Room teams, as well as the rare Slaking. He's immune to Sandstorm and Hail, which counts for something as well. Unlike good ol' Gallade, Mamoswine fits in well on this team by being able to effectively revenge-kill DD Salamence and fire off killer Earthquakes. His ground typing is one of his big draws, letting him safely switch in on electric attacks aimed at Gyarados. Rock is neutral, so it's more dangerous to switch into, though, so I have others for that weakness. He does add another fire weakness, though, which can be troubling at times...

The Surprise:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/gyarados.png
Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
One of my new favorite Pokemon, this Gyarados has been appearing on a lot of recent teams of mine. Those of you who saw my Combo Mania team saw it there too, only it was a GyaraVire combo. Unfortunately, Riley didn't get an Electivire, so bang went that idea. This Gyarados is my status absorber thanks to Rest. I switch it in on things that can't harm it (Scizor, I'm looking at you! Don’t even think of switching in on Mamoswine now!) and proceed to Dragon Dance. More often than not, something comes in to throw a Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp at him, thinking he's a normal Dragon Dancing Offensive Gyarados. I keep Dragon Dancing while they bask in what they think to be success. Then I use Rest. And watch them squirm. There's usually a long pause in the game after I Rest for the first time... Waterfall works well with STAB and the flinch rate, as well as being able to take advantage of the boost opposing Rain Dancers sometimes gives it. This Gyarados can switch into a LOT of physical attacks due to his maximized Defensive potential, as well as the fire attacks that plague over half of my team. Intimidate further incapacitates physical attackers, with the exception of things with Clear Bodies (never understood how that's supposed to work...). Leftovers negates any weather damage, and provides healing while I Dragon Dance or sweep. Beware the surprise fish.

The Secret Weapon:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/lucario.png
Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
---
This team is based from Riley, so it couldn't go without his Lucario! I'm sad to say that this is the typical Swords Dance set; no real surprises on him except his simple presence when he's finally revealed. I do whatever I can to save him for last, or at least near the end. He makes a great switch in for Rock type attacks aimed at Gyarados or Salamence (or Mamoswine to an extent...) thanks to his 4x resist to them. Dark attacks are also a good opportunity, but riskier considering they usually are from Tyranitar or Weavile - I might be getting an Earthquake or Brick Break to the face, respectively. I chose to do Jolly instead of Adamant because I don't have many naturally fast things on this team. Also, most opposing Lucario are Adamant, which keeps dumb speed ties from happening. Also, by the time I send out Lucario, most things that NEED Adamant to OHKO are already weakened, making his job far easier and the attack boost from Adamant not entirely necessary.

The Breaker:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/salamence.png
Salamence (F) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 Atk/216 Spd/208 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
---
My good little she-dragon. This is the standard new MixMence, with a slight EV change, if you cared. The analysis says to do 208 Speed and 216 Sp. Attack. I did the opposite simply because of opposing Salamence. I win that match up by 2 speed points. A note also that this is one of the few Pokemon Riley has that can effectively use Special Attacks. Ground, Fire, and Dragon give un-resisted type coverage, and all of them are fairly high-powered moves from a high-powered source. I'm giving a small thought to replacing Outrage with Roost to heal SR damage, and because I’m always hesitant to use Outrage often for fear of opposing steels. Now, before you start in with, "Well, why the filth r u using a filthing Dragon Fang?!? Why not use a filthing Life Orb, u filthin' idiot!?!", let me explain my reasoning. First, I had Life Orb originally, but Salamence died off far too quickly from its recoil and Stealth Rock. Also, that makes three things on my team holding a Life Orb; I don't play by the Item Clause often, but that seems a bit repetitive and dangerous (not to mention boring...). Second, if the opponent doesn't see Life Orb damage or Leftovers recovery, they might assume I have Yache Berry, or worse - Choice Specs. That worry is what I'm aiming for. Since I replaced Life Orb I've gotten several surprise kills on steels coming in to set up. Third, I usually send him in firing off Draco Meteors anyway, which aren’t normally super-effective against its targets, so bang goes the thought of Expert Belt for the Choice trick. This dragon comes in early to break up things the might hinder a Lucario sweep (or any other sweep for that matter). If she's still alive when I send in Lucario, she makes a good partner to him by covering all three of his weaknesses. She can take the Fire moves that hit 2/3 of this team hard, as well. Intimidate on Salamence and Gyarados can be used to hinder physical sweepers. Just keep switching between them, and watch as their attacks do less and less. That's a last resort, mind you, but it works like a Charm (pun intended). Salamence has many common weaknesses, however, so she has a friend...

The Stat-up Sweeper:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/metagross.png
Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 104 HP/252 Atk/12 Def/140 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Agility
- Thunderpunch
---
The other part of the MetaMence combo we all know and love, and a menace if I predict right. Switch on something that targeted Salamence, Agility as they most likely switch, and proceed to sweep as much as possible. The EV spread is a bit different than the analysis for the same reason as Salamence’s was; I moved 8 EV’s from HP and into Speed to get a jump on opposing Metagross and put the hurt on with Earthquake. Lum Berry is to keep stupid moves like Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, or a fast Spore/Sleep Powder from ruining my sweep. I used to run Leftovers, which worked really well and allowed longer sweeps, but I was always hit by some odd status moves, which disabled said sweep completely. I usually start Meteor Mashing for the likelihood of getting an Attack boost, whilst they’re trying to switch to a good counter. Thunderpunch is for bulky water-types that would otherwise cause problems, as well as for any opposing ugly-fish, Gyarados. Metagross struggles to defeat potent threats that switch in with ease, however, like Zapdos and Rotom-A. I usually sacrifice him against those, dishing out as much damage as I can on the way out with Thunderpunch or Meteor mash for Zapdos and Rotom-A, respectively. Explosion might work better against some threats (minus Rotom-A), but I figured I needed the Electric attack against certain threats, and it works very well. Metagross’s possible demise allows my best option against Zapdos and Rotom-A to switch in safely…

The Avenger:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/breloom.png
Breloom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Stone Edge
- Spore
- Superpower
---
Usually this is set seen as a lead. I prefer to use Scarf Breloom as a secret revenge-killer, as well as a quick sleep inducer. His STAB Seed Bomb and Superpower hurt a lot of stuff, while Stone Edge can hit a lot of threats harder, like Gyarados, Zapdos, and anything else on wings (barring Skarmory). Being a Grass type, he can take a resisted Electric hit aimed at Gyarados and live to tell about it. In fact, the offensive Zapdos the analysis has to offer only inflicts 61.83% - 73.28% worth of damage, after which I Spore or do 77.64% - 91.93% to that same Zapdos with Stone Edge faster than it can retaliate. That’s a death sentence if Stealth Rock is up. He also can come in on Rock attacks at Gyarados and Salamence, being part Fighting type as well. Choice Scarf and Jolly nature lets me hit 393 Speed, which only Aerodactyl, Crobat, and Jolteon naturally out-speed at 394 – and that’s only if they’re running a +Speed nature and 252 Speed EVs. It also out-speeds neutral-speed Gyarados after one Dragon Dance by two points, and can OHKO with Stone Edge most of the time. I can often count on this little guy to come in and save the day from what would be a potent threat. His ability isn't useless either. While I could do the little used Effect Spore for a surprise or two, Poison Heal lets me take advantage of Toxic or Toxic Spikes instead of relying on Fliers for the spikes or Gyarados to merely absorb Toxic.

Weaknesses and Resistances Chart:
http://i40.tinypic.com/33ykqhe.jpg

Fire is a big one. Things are either weak or resistant to that. All other weaknesses (barring Flying and Psychic, but neither are all that common) I have at least two that are resistant/immune to it.

Known Threats:

Before you go on to this section, I’m telling you something. Usually, when these things come in I’m not in a position to switch in its counter. Also, sometimes I can’t effectively counter something at the time. I’ve found that I can get by occasionally through attempting to beat all that is holy out of these threats with STAB moves and the like. My Pokemon usually go down soon after, but not without wounding the opponent and allowing its proper “counter” a safe switch in.

Zapdos: Walls Metagross well, and its STAB electric attacks hit a lot neutrally on my team, Gyarados being fried. It also usually has Heat Wave and some trouble causing Hidden Power – Ice hits Salamence, and Grass hits Mamoswine. I just hit it hard with everything I have. Stealth Rock helps, but that’s only if it keeps switching; once in, though, it wreaks havoc. I can pray I correctly predict a Roost on some Zapdos, and proceed to Earthquake if I have in Metagross or Mamoswine out at the time.

Jolteon: More STAB electric attacks that hurt badly. It’s a bit easier to fight back especially if it’s Choiced, and can actually be hit by Metagross/Mamoswine’s Earthquakes. Select Hidden Powers and Substitute varieties can cause problems, though.

Rotom (All formes): Again with STAB electric… And again with my option to hit hard and fast. Rotom-H is a particular threat because if its strong Overheats. If I let it lower its Sp. Attack on one thing, though, I can send in something that can perhaps take a hit and hit back or raise stats. Scarf Rotom-A are faster then Breloom’s Spore, and can then Trick that Choice Scarf on something that doesn’t want it.

Gengar: Speedy little bugger that isn’t hit by Fighting or Normal that can throw around nasty Shadow Balls. Can and has stopped a Lucario Sweep. My best bet is to Stone Edge with Breloom, or switch in Lucario on a resisted Shadow Ball and Crunch it to death.

Gliscor: Not a imminent threat, per say, but it’s a fantastic counter to my Lucario. That’s one reason I save it for last. I can hurt it with Gyarados or Mamoswine’s super-effective moves, making it safe for Lucario later on.

Infernape: I can switch in Gyarados and Salamence of physical varieties, and hit hard with super-effective moves. Grass Knot to Gyarados and a rare Hidden Power to Salamence can hurt, but I usually come out on top before it cranks up its STAB Flamethrower’s.

Latias: Fast, STAB dragon-moves can spell doom, especially for my not-so-speedy Salamence. Metagross can take Dragon attacks and can hit its weaker Defense, but is hit hard by neutral Thunderbolt and Surf (both are common on Latias). Trick variants can cause problems as well.

Salamence: Opposing Salamence are mean. I’m usually faster than other MixMence thanks to my EV trick, but other sets can be a problem. Breloom’s Stone Edge and having Stealth Rock down helps out, as well as Mamoswine’s Ice Shard if I can get him in safely (like sacrificing something else…)

Starmie: Thunderbolt at a Gyarados hurts, and Surf/Hydro Pump at a Mamoswine swich-in hurts, too. Metagross can help and hammer the little star back to oblivion with Thunderpunch, as well as Breloom’s Seed Bomb if I can switch in safely (again, perhaps a sacrifice is needed to ensure a safe switch-in).

Suicune: Rest Talk variants almost never die, and Roar can mess up stat-boosters. Salamence and Breloom are scared of possible Ice Beams, Metagross and Mamoswine are afraid of Calm Minded Surfs, and Gyarados is frightened by a rare Hidden Power Electric. Lucario is generally the answer. I can come in, Swords Dance while it’s sleeping (praying it doesn’t Sleep Talk a Roar on me) and hit hard with Close Combat and/or Extremespeed. Breloom can target its weaker Defense and Seed Bomb it, or use Spore to (maybe!) disable it for a bit.

For the lack of anything else I can think of, have at it guys!

Thanks for looking, even if you don't post or rate!
By the way, all edits will be in Green bold italics.

Galileo
06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello Seth Vilo,
Having taken a look at the list of Riley´s pokemon, I must say there is not much you could do to fix said weaks.
Though I will try to make some useful suggestions.
Metagross isn´t very good in Dpp due to the abundance of Rotom ,Bulky waters, Scizor, and Celebi.
You said any stab electric move can overrun your team, and you are right. I suggest you use Riley´s Ttar over Metagross, since most users of Electric Stabs are special attackers.
176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe, adamant nature, item choice band with the following moves Crunch Pursuit, Aqua Tail/Eq, Stone Edge. Pursuit will help you get rid of Rotom and Celebi allowing Breloom to sweep. Therefore I suggest a sub puncher 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe, adamant nature, spore, sub, focus punch, Seed Bomb. It will have a field day against stall when Celebi is gone.
The next thing is you are incredibly weak to DD-Mence and offensive DD-Gyarados. You could make your Mence a scarf 252 attack/252 speed naive nature, Outrage, Eq, Fire Blast, Dragon Claw. Outrage can handle offensive forms of Gyarados while Breloom takes care of Bulkydos.
As I said before there is not much to do, since you already picked the most viable sets, I hope my suggestions were helpful though,
Good Luck

ps:you might want to replace Protect on Mamoswine with Se, Se is way better since it will hit leading Gyarados or switch ins.

Sephira
06-29-2009, 02:23 PM
shoot i donthink theres anything wrong with this team.(although breloom might lose early on)

Seth Vilo
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tips Galileo! You make a good point about Tyranitar fixing a few of my big problems... I'm going to try it out and keep you posted on how it does. I think I'll keep Breloom how it is, though.

Thanks for your input as well, expertoneverything! Glad you think that way!

---EDIT---

Ok. I'm in experimentation with CB Tyranitar. I changed if a bit from what you said, making it far more Specially Defensive - 252 HP, 216 Sp. Defense, 40 Attack, Careful nature. I can use that to survive Focus Blast from a Life Orb Gengar, and hit back with Pursuit/Crunch. It also lets him (or her...) come in better an special electric attacks aimed at Gyarados. It's working great. Fortunately in the experemental battles I've done, things I previously had trouble with have popped up, letting me test how TTar would deal with it. Bwahaha. I'll keep experimenting. Maybe I'll use it in the 3:00 tournament today... If I do, I'll post how it went here.

---EDIT 2---

The tournament went well. I got through the earlier matches with a lot of help from TTar. In the final match, though, I did something stupid in the form of sending him out against a SD Lucario, and was killed by Close Combat in one hit... Oh well! He works though. I'll keep testing.

Safe_Kid
06-29-2009, 05:25 PM
This is actually a very well built team and well structured RMT. I simply love reading GOOD RMTS with GOOD teams.

So first of all you've got an awesome lead, a lead which won't make people think "oh another one of them". More like "Oh **** mamo", Now there are some odd Starmie leads which might bother you, but i would run maybe Endeavor on Mamo, it might sound gimmiky but hell it works. Using endeavor requires a bit of prediction, you could take protect out for that. And give it focus sash instead of LO. This will give you a somewhat better start against Mence/Starmie leads.

Your team is pretty Starmie/Rotom weak. I would recommend you add a Scarftran for revenge killing instead of loom. Loom maybe handy with Spore, but whats spore gonna do to a Restalk Rotom? You have no decent switch in for Starmie apart from maybe Metagross, which still would get 2HKO'd with LO Hydro pump.

Heatran @ Scarf
252 Speed/252 sp atk/6Atk
Naive Nature
-Fire Blast
-Earthpower
-Dragon Pulse
-Explosion

Now the team really relies on the restalk gyra, without it, it would get swept by many OU threats like Scarftran and Scarfgon.
You also get beaten by JollyDDGyra with LO. I have a simple way of countering this without changing a pokemon. It requires you to change the style of sweep for metagross.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Atk / 188 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch

This metagross was taken from Vashta's "Rose tyler" team. The aim is to Scout out gyras that counter metagross, and ofcourse they never expect a straight thunderpunch. It defeats gyra on a one on one. It also covers Mence and Gengar.

Also you could definitely use a spinner since 2 vital pokemon are hugely affected by it.

Sephira
07-02-2009, 01:55 AM
thz seth(not really sure if i did anything to help though)

Seth Vilo
07-02-2009, 02:27 AM
thz seth(not really sure if i did anything to help though)

Lol. The simple fact that you'd look at the team and post is uplifting. A lot of work went into this little "project", so that fact that you'd point out what you think makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Hope that doesn't sound too weird... One reason I'm starting to like TU more than Smogon; people there tend to be more like ice-cold Poke-robots. People here are... people.

BTW, Tyranitar works well, but can be situational. Metagross works well, too, but is also situational. I find myself switching back and forth between that two. I'm going back to work on a primary team - only with no restrictions, like the "only Riley's Pokemon" one this team had. I'm also looking for a good battle to do a warstory thing with. Lol. Wish me luck!