PDA

View Full Version : Wailord Analysis

Statigar
07-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Wailord

http://arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/wailord.png

Summary:

Most Used Set:

Wailord's Choice Scarf set is the most commonly used set on this pokemon, as it takes advantage of Wailord's decent Sp Atk stat, and the amount of HP it has. The set is particularly useful for sweeping teams, and is particularly useful in the UU metagame where there are weaker pokemon in play.
The choice scarf and EVs in speed allow Wailord to outspeed 110 base power pokemon, enabling it to safely Water Spout, and thanks to its 170 base power HP, the move deals a huge 225 base power, allowing it to 1HKO leads like gengar, absol, frosslass, and smeargle with ease.

Usual Counters:

Wailord is a very difficult pokemon to counter in the UU metagame, as both common sets - Choice Scarf and Choice specs deal serious damage, to even pokemon that are resistant to water. The most common counters for Wailord are Lapras, which is both 4x resistant to ice, and 2x resistant to water. However, if wailord runs a HP electric, it would be increasingly difficult to counter it with Lapras.

Another good option would be to run a Politoed. It would only receive a maximum damage of 42% when hit by HP electric from wailord, allowing it enough room to attack. Meganium is also another option, as it has a decent move pool, and can use Energy ball and leech seed to counter Wailord.

Lastly, any pokemon that can withstand water, and possibly a hidden power electric or grass, is a good viable counter for this pokemon. Wailord is extremely powerful for a NU pokemon.

Types of Teams Pokemon Is Used On:

Wailord is used on offensive NU/UU teams, and is incredibly strong for the tier. By looking at its base stats, you may think that it can be used in a stall team, but its mediocre defense / sp def, doesn't make it a good choice for a wall, and its speed does let it down in some areas.

Wailord is particularly useful as a lead, as the Choice scarf set allows it to sweep immediately, crippling the foe. Its is also resistant to Ice Shard, bullet punch, and aqua jet, making it a good counter to them.

In Depth:

http://teamuber.net/dexajax/pt/anim-n/321.pngChoice Scarf@ Choice scarf.
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 30 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 228 Speed
Nature: Naive

-Water Spout
-Surf / Hyrdopump / Icebeam
-Self Destruct
-HP Grass/Electric

Wailord has one of the best bases for HP, at a huge 170 base power. This allows Water Spout to do a severe amount of damage, however, due to its poor speed, the opponent is able to hit first and ruin the potential power water spout has. The speed EVs, the nature and the choice scarf help to allow wailord to attack first, giving it a speed stat of 360, allowing it to outspeed even OU pokemon.

With the certainty of wailord going first, water spout, with Wailord's huge HP has a base power of 225, which can 1hit KO most leads such as Gengar, absol, smeargle, or deal a huge amount of damage to the opponent. Once wailord has been struck, Surf, Hydropump or icebeam can be used to finish off the opponent, and once Wailord's HP is running low, selfdestruct gives you the option to cause severe physical damage and to make the most of wailord.

Lastly, the last move block is reserved for moves that counter Wailord counters. HP electric is important for any water pokemon, which wailord might have difficulty countering. HP grass is also another option, and is particularly useful against water/ground pokemon such as Swampert.

The attack EVs assist in boosting the power of selfdistruct, whereas the EVs in Sp Atk are there for boosting the power of its special moves.

http://teamuber.net/forum/../dexajax/pt/anim-n/321.pngMix Whale@ Leftovers
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk/ 252 SpD
Nature: Bold

-Ironhead
-Waterfall
-GigaImpact
-Selfdestruct

This set is aimed at confusing the opponent. By having 252EVs in SpDef, but being an attack based wailord, some opponents might aim for a physical opponent. Ironhead has a good chance of flinching the foe and provides coverage against Ice and rock foes in the UU metagame, denting a possible Lapras counter in a 2-3HKO, whilst Gigaimpact is a good move for finishing off a foe late game.

Waterfall, again, provides STAB, and with 252Evs in Atk, will deal a great amount of damage to common UU pokemon such as Arcanine and Altaria.

Selfdestruct is useful when Wailord is low on HP, and you're placed in a tough position.

http://teamuber.net/forum/../dexajax/pt/anim-n/321.pngOffensive God@ Choice band.
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Nature: Adamant

-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Selfdestruct
-Avalanche / Double Edge

Wailord can do suprizingly well as an offensive attacker and can do serious damage physically to the opponent. With the choice band, the nature and the EVs, wailord has a huge 459 attack, and due to its naturally high HP, it is able to resist hits from the opponent, both physically and specially. This set is particularly good as it can fool the opponent. Many counters involve high spdef pokemon aiming to take a waterspout hit, however, a physcial wailord offers an element of suprise.

Waterfall provides STAB and is a very effective move, providing a 2HKO against Hypno, grumpig and gastroudon. The other attacking moves are extremely useful for coveraging a wider type range, providing coverage over steel types, rock types and poison types in the UU metagame.

Moreover, selfdestruct is a wise choice, as with 459Attack, you're almost guaranteed to 1HKO the foe, and make the best use of your Wailord in difficult times.

http://teamuber.net/forum/../dexajax/pt/anim-n/321.pngThe Big Wall @ Leftovers /Lumberry
EVs: 58 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful

-Waterfall
-Curse
-Rest
-Return/selfdestruct/Avalanche

Wailord's huge HP base stat allows it to wall in some respects. This set enables you the ability to annoy the opponent, and provides a physcial wall, useful for countering Scizor in OU, Absol in UU, and is a perfect solution against Blazikens. Waterfall provides not only STAB, but together with a curse set up, packs a punch on the opponent. Return, selfdestruct and/or avalance provide extra coverage for grass and flying foes.

The key to using this set successfully is within the setup of curse. Curse not only boosts defense by one stage, but it also boosts Wailord's attack. As Wailord's speed is reasonably low, no difference is really made on the use of this move.
In addition to this, the best time to setup is on switch in to an attacking foe. Together with 200 Defense EVs, a properly set up Wailord would be almost impossible to defeat.

The EVs in special defense allow room for a special attacker, and if in dangerous scenarios, Selfdestruct can provide a useful "goodbye" present to your opponent, wiping out most UU pokemon on use, or alternatively, you can rest and use your lum berry for a full recovery.

http://teamuber.net/forum/../dexajax/pt/anim-n/321.pngThe Special Wall @ Leftovers/Lum Berry
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Bold

-Waterspout / Hydropump / Surf
-Rest
-HP Electric
-HP Grass / Icebeam

Like the "Big Wall" set, this set provides another method of walling. Hydropump is recommended, but surf can easily be used for accuracy, or alternatively, you could attempt to use waterspout, as the defense and SpDef EVs ensure not much damage is done to Wailord. Again, rest is a viable option, and together with a lum berry to cure its sleep instantly, Wailord can be used twice in battle.

HP electic is a very useful move as it provides coverage against Lapras, other water pokemon, and flying pokemon. Its also a good choice to use HP Grass for easily countering Quagsire or alternatively, you can use icebeam to counter grass foes.

Other Options:

Besides these sets, Wailord doesnt have many other viable options. Body Slam is a good physical move which can be used to try and obtain paralysis, but doesnt take advantage of the potential attack this pokemon has the offer.
Wailord has the ability to be the NU version of Blissey, and with Toxic and Amnesia set up, it is able to do alot more damage than Blissey. It also has the potential to become the NU substitute of swampert with earthquake, waterfall and roar in force.

Opinion:
Wailord has an amazing base for HP, allowing it to act bulky in the metagame. However, due to its mediocre defences, is unable to cope with many hits. With a choice scarf or a choice band, wailord can act as an "Uber" NU pokemon, replacing the role of Kyogre, and thanks to its impressive Movepool, it has a reasonably good coverage over many pokemon types.

i am cool
07-05-2009, 11:14 AM
I love your work James. I'm doing the "last revamp" on your Parasect analysis ATM and I absolutely am in love with your writing; though of course you make some Pokémon errors (Grass doesn't hit Grass SE! haha), but I guess that's due to you not playing for such a while.

Plus I'll give you a thumbs up for making an UU analyses without really going deep in the Pokémon. This makes me wonder: Are we just going to follow Smogon's UU?

Because if we are then that'd be great; we don't have the time to make a tier from scratch and our analyses really need to be done xD.

Statigar
07-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I love your work James. I'm doing the "last revamp" on your Parasect analysis ATM and I absolutely am in love with your writing; though of course you make some Pokémon errors (Grass doesn't hit Grass SE! haha), but I guess that's due to you not playing for such a while.

Plus I'll give you a thumbs up for making an UU analyses without really going deep in the Pokémon. This makes me wonder: Are we just going to follow Smogon's UU?

Because if we are then that'd be great; we don't have the time to make a tier from scratch and our analyses really need to be done xD.

Thanks alot. Im making these analysis because there are only 50 to go.. and i want to help speed up the process.