PDA

View Full Version : Shedinja Analysis Revamp.

i am cool
07-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Shedinja:

http://arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/shedinja.png

Summary:

Most Used Shedinja Set:

Shedinja's most used set is easily the set using Swords Dance. Shedinja's decent Attack stat is raised by Swords Dance, and thanks to Shedinja's unique Ability, Wonder Guard, Shedinja will have a plethora of opportunities to set up.

Usual Counters:

Basically, any Pokémon with a Fire-type move that doesn't take too much from Shedinja's attacks will KO it. Since Shedinja has a measly HP stat of 1, (yes, you heard right, 1!), secondary damage such as Spikes or Stealth Rock will KO Shedinja on the switch. Ideal counters for Shedinja will also carry the move Pursuit, meaning that Shedinja will faint if it decides to stay in or not.

Types Of Teams Shedinja Is Used On:

Shedinja is a tricky Pokémon to use. To effectively use Shedinja, one must have a Pokémon that can use Rapid Spin to get rid of entry hazards such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes; that way, they won't kill Shedinja. Shedinja isn't a team player, since any move that is super effective will kill Shedinja no matter how weak the attack is. Therefore, Shedinja usually has teams centered around it, rather than contributing to teams itself.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_shedinja.gifSwords Dance@ Focus Sash / Lum Berry
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)

- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak / Sucker Punch
- Toxic / Will-o-wisp

Shedinja's unique Ability, Wonder Guard, coupled with Swords Dance and its fair Attack stat allow Shedinja to become a threatening Physical sweeper. Swords Dance is the crux of this set, allowing Shedinja to increase his already moderate Attack stat. X-Scissor will be Shedinja's primary move, as it is the strongest of Shedinja's STAB Bug moves. Shadow Sneak is the preferable option here, as it allows Shedinja to KO Pokémon that would otherwise kill it, such as Gengar. Sucker Punch is a viable option as well, netting surprise kills and generally being a strong priority move.

Finally, Toxic or Will-o-wisp are both viable choices for the last slot. Toxic can be used to incapacitate many of Shedinja's switch-ins, leaving them a nasty surprise as you switch out. Will-o-wisp can cripple Physical attackers such as Scizor (although, hitting Scizor with a Will-o-wisp would require a lot of prediction).

A Lonely Nature is used to maximize Shedinja's Attack stat, but Adamant or Jolly are also viable. 252 Attack and Speed EVs are needed to fully take advantage of Shedinja's attacking potential.

The option of what Item to use is definitely up to preference: Focus Sash allows Shedinja to retain all of its HP, but afterwards leaves Shedinja susceptible to status moves such as Toxic and Will-o-wisp. Lum Berry on the other hand, cures Shedinja of any status ailments.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_shedinja.gifTricks Are For Kids!@ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)

- Trick
- X-Scissor
- Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak
- Will-o-wisp / Swords Dance

Shedinja has access to one of the most crippling moves in the game: Trick. Tricking a Choice Band onto a Special attacker can debilitate common switch-ins and will cause your opponent trouble if it is Tricked onto a wall like Blissey or Cresselia. Once you have Tricked away your Item of choice (no pun intended) you can proceed to use any of your other moves.

X-Scissor is going to be Shedinja's primary attacking option once again, and the choice between Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch is up to personal preference. A Choice Banded Shadow Sneak won't be hurting much, and as such, Sucker Punch is the favored option. In the last slot, either Will-o-wisp or Swords Dance make fine options. Will-o-wisp can cripple Physical attackers and burn things in general, while one can use Swords Dance to set up and basically become the standard Swords Dance Shedinja.

The EVs and Nature are once again geared to amplify Shedinja's offensive power, but the option of which Item to use is definitely up to you. Choice Band is the preferable choice, allowing you to render Pokémon such as Heatran useless. Choice Scarf, however, is perfectly feasable, allowing you to outrun Pokémon such as Choice Band Scizor and essentially making him useless with a Scarf.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_shedinja.gifBaton Pass Sheddy@ Focus Sash
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)

- Baton Pass
- Toxic / Will-o-wisp
- Heal Block
- Shadow Sneak / Sucker Punch / X-Scissor

Shedinja is one of the blessed Pokémon that can use Baton Pass, however, out of all Pokémon that learn Baton Pass, Shedinja is the only one that cannot pass a simple Substitute. Baton Pass is still an operable move on Shedinja, allowing it to scout for counters and even switch out unscathed. Toxic or Will-o-wisp are both possible selections for the second slot. Toxic is the more commonly used move, due to the fact that it allows Shedinja to Poison Pokémon that do not pose a threat to it, such as Suicune, Kingdra, and Raikou. Will-o-wisp is still a viable option nonetheless, allowing Shedinja to cripple Physical attackers and generally spread status.

Heal Block is a great addition to this set, allowing Shedinja to prevent certain Pokémon from recovering from Poison or Burn damage, and force them to attack, putting Shedinja in a great spot to Baton Pass to a potential counter. The choice for the last slot is a crucial one. Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch both make great options, letting Shedinja outspeed Pokémon such as Gengar and Azelf, and hit them super effectively. X-Scissor, as always, provides a reliable STAB option that can hurt Psychic and Grass-types.

Other Options:

Shedinja's movepool is limited, so there aren't many other moves Shedinja has to work with. Shedinja gets Protect, but it usually ends up taking up a moveslot that Shedinja will need. Bug Bite can halt Pokémon such as Empoleon from sweeping. In addition, said Pokémon cannot do anything back to Shedinja.

Opinion:

When Shedinja was made, the people at Game Freak decided to give Shedinja a mixed bag. On one hand, they gave Shedinja a marvelous Ability in Wonder Guard, preventing anything but a super effective hit to damage Shedinja. On the other hand, they gave Shedinja 3 traits that prevented Shedinja from ever becoming a top contender in OU: a limited movepool, mediocre typing, and a wretched HP stat of 1. And to make matters worse, they introduced a new move in the 4th Generation that proved to be the bane of Shedinja: Stealth Rock. However, when paired with a Pokémon that can use Rapid Spin, Shedinja becomes an often overlooked threat, capable of decimating teams late game, once possible threats are gone.

Oh and I'd like to commend Milos on a good job; I only found 6 mistakes and you made this at night (although, I think you revised this once, but that's besides the point); I usually don't post anything in this post, but I just had to. Keep it up Milos <3. If anyone deserves an expert analyser rank it's you (we'll just have to wait for James!)!

Milos
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM
thanks iac <3333

one question though, isnt it "physical attackers" not "Physical attackers"??

i am cool
07-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I always used the latter; it doesn't matter anyway, because it's a term that was created by us competitive Pokémon players, and thus, it doesn't matter if it's written like this: 'PhYsiCal' or like this: 'Physical'.

Milos
07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
oh ok lol