PDA

View Full Version : Walrein Analysis.

i am cool
07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Walrein:

http://arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/walrein.png

Summary:

Most Used Walrein Set:

Walrein’s most recurrent set is probably the Stallrein set. Due to Walrein’s high Defenses and ability to recover 12% health each turn from Hail and Leftovers, that set will certainly have a lot of use.

Usual Counters:

In the Under Used environment, Poliwrath and Lanturn come to mind. Poliwrath is resistant to Walrein’s STAB attacks and can retaliate with a strong Choice Banded Brick Break or Focus Punch. Lanturn doesn’t mind any of Walrein’s moves except Toxic; it can then hit it with a jolt of electric sparks known as Thunderbolt.

In OU, Walrein can be really irritating to face. However, Steel-types such as Jirachi, Metagross, and Magnezone shall work as Walrein counters. However, they should be careful of Earthquake, especially Magnezone. Tyranitar can stop Hail and fire off a Stone Edge, but also fears Toxic.

Types of Teams Walrein Is Used In:

Hail teams for points explained above.

In Depth:

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_walrein.gifStallrein@ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Nature: Bold (+Def, -AtK)

- Surf / Blizzard
- Protect
- Substitute
- Roar / Toxic / Encore / Earthquake

This is one of Walrein’s most infamous niches, the Stallrein variant. This wondrous set has been torturing unsuspecting players since the dawn of Diamond and Pearl and is the true reason why the very words “Hail Team” are so groan inducing. With the exceptional survivability of this set, Walrein is sure to stay around and cause some grief for quite a while. The lovable novelty of this set is the amazing rate of recovery, gaining 6% from Leftovers as well as 6% a turn when Hail is in effect, this adds up to a respectable 12% per turn, in conjunction with Protect, Substitute, and Roar, this attribute can prove extremely useful. As a final note, this set is best used in an Used Under permanent Hail team so that the usability isn’t compromised by an untimely weather clearing.

The first moveslot utilizes one of Walrein’s STAB moves, who on their own have formidable coverage, so that is indeed a plus. Surf proves to be the preferred option, as it has high PP, reliable accuracy regardless of the weather, and decent power behind it. Blizzard is another option if you have troubles with Dragon-types in particular, but generally Stallrein would fair quite well against them even without this move - the low PP of this attack is a notable hindrance that should be taken into account.

The second moveslot houses the first half of the 2 move combo that makes Stallrein a tyrant, that being Protect. Thanks to Protect, Walrein can easily stall out various offensive opponents thanks to Hail and potential Life Orb damage if that is indeed the hold Item of the adversary in question; the ability to buy time to gain an additional 12% health boost is another useful tidbit to behold.

The third slot completes the circle of brokenness that is Stallrein, the move I speak of is no other than the infamous Substitute. The use of Substitute on a Pokémon as slow as Walrein may raise question, so allow me to explain. With Walrein’s phenomenal HP stat, our tubby friend can withstand a Blissey’s Seismic Toss, still have a Substitute in tact, and outspeed her during the following turn. Substitute can also prove handy when used correctly with Protect and potential Poison support be it from Toxic Spikes or the status move.

The final slot varies greatly with the needs of ones team. Roar is the preferred option as it can “spread the love” of Toxic Spikes (if in effect) or defuse a potentially fatal set up fueled sweep. Toxic is a notable option if a provider of Toxic Spikes support is absent in your team, though due to Walrein’s moveslot syndrome, this option is often overlooked. Encore is a slightly novelty option for forcing switches and getting free Substitutes. Earthquake is the final option, this is useful in tandem with Blizzard under Hail as the combo provides near impeccable coverage, it is also a useful defense against oncoming Heatran as a Fire Blast from the fire frog can indeed pack a punch.

A slight variation of this set would be to run the following moves: Encore, Substitute, Ice Beam, and Earthquake / Surf. That way, an Encore set is born and can Encore your stalling opponents into submission.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_walrein.gifTalker@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Nature: Bold (+Def, -AtK)

- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Avalanche / Ice Beam
- Toxic / Earthquake / Surf

A RestTalk set is certainly viable due to Walrein’s high Defenses and acceptable HP stat. Rest when health gets low or if you’re struck by a status ailment, then Sleep Talk when you’re asleep; and keep repeating this until you faint. Avalanche can hurt incoming Pokémon while Ice Beam does more damage to Physical walls. Earthquake takes care of Steel-types and Surf is a viable alternative.

http://www.pokesho.com/img_icon_us/i_walrein.gifCurse@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)

- Curse
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rest / Yawn / Toxic

Curse allows Walrein to boosts its average Attack stat and quite high Defense stat. After a sufficient amount of boosts, Walrein is capable of destroying the opponent with its STAB move. Be careful, though, for status ailments shut down this build; thus, Rest becomes a necessity.

Other Options:

A Choice Specs set might be viable, but it is usually outclassed by the Stallrein set. Of course, Charm could work to help Walrein survive Heracross’ and Lucario’s Close Combats. Stockpile might work on a stalling set or in conjunction with the Stallrein set / Curse set.

Opinion:

Walrein is a Pokémon that benefited greatly from the generational change at the dawn of the Diamond & Pearl era, gaining both a new Ability and a teammate with access to permanent Hail support which proved to be a formidable combo, thus creating this lovable walrus’ reputation as the most annoying Pokémon in Hail.

Credits: SB for beginning the Stallrein set; rest was done by me.

Dimes
07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Golduck is also a decent counter for Walrein. LO Focus Blast 2hkos Walrein, while Ice Body is negated due to Golduck's Cloud Nine.

As a final note, this set is best used in a permanent Hail so that the usability isn’t compromised by an untimely weather clearing.

And you spelled Sufficient as suficient.

"Other than that there is not much." Not "Other than that,nothing much."

Microsoft Word weak.

Statigar
07-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Golduck is also a decent counter for Walrein. LO Focus Blast 2hkos Walrein, while Ice Body is negated due to Golduck's Cloud Nine.

As a final note, this set is best used in a permanent Hail so that the usability isn’t compromised by an untimely weather clearing.

And you spelled Sufficient as suficient.

"Other than that there is not much." Not "Other than that,nothing much."

Microsoft Word weak.

1st mistake= typo
2nd mistake = Iac speaks 5 different languages.. give him a break.

i am cool
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes, I made a typo, sue me. Your correction had grammar mistakes to begin with. Also, I'll delete the sentence altogether; it is not required. But, I'll tell you, your correction of the sentence didn't change the sense and it was still "unclear" if that's what you were trying to fix.

In the future, don't criticize my efforts because you can't do anything sufficiently. Thanks!

Statigar
07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Yes, I made a typo, sue me. Your correction had grammar mistakes to begin with. Also, I'll delete the sentence altogether; it is not required. But, I'll tell you, your correction of the sentence didn't change the sense and it was still "unclear" if that's what you were trying to fix.

In the future, don't criticize my efforts because you can't do anything sufficiently. Thanks!

the fat man got OWNED

we arent weightist by the way..

Dimes
07-28-2009, 09:51 PM
That's because iac knew why I came here and why I have my username.

Tony32
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Great Walrein Analysis :).