Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gliscor Analysis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gliscor Analysis

Gliscor

Type: Ground/Flying

Abilities:
    Hyper Cutter- Opponent cannot lower this Pokemon's Attack value. This Pokemon may still lower its own Attack value.
    Sand Veil- Raises the Pokemon's evasion during a sandstorm by one level.
    Poison Heal (Dream World)- HP is restored every turn while the Pokemon is poisoned.

Base Stats:
    HP: 75
    Attack: 95
    Defense: 125
    Special Attack: 45
    Special Defense: 75
    Speed: 95

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/472.shtml

Overview

Gliscor is a very versatile threat that has overcome the generation switch and has managed to earn itself spots on many teams due to the numerous Pokemon that Gliscor can check and effectively counter. With a new STAB move in the form of Acrobatics, and Poison Heal as its Dream World ability (previously exclusive to Shroomish and Breloom), Gliscor is probably one of the Pokemon that has gained the most in the new generation.

Gliscor's biggest gain with Generation 5 has been its Dream World ability, Poison Heal. Gliscor's new ability gives him the capability to act as a status absorber, and the advantage of passive recovery rather than active recovery. Gliscor can easily stall/scout with Protect and use its free turns for causing damage. Despite the illegibility of Poison Heal with some of Gliscor's staple Generation 4 moves (Stealth Rock and Roost), Gliscor has gained popularity and effectiveness thanks to its Dream World addition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Depth/Move Sets

Bulky Swords Dancer
    Gliscor w/ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    Impish
    EVs: 244 HP; 192 Def; 72 Spe
    • Swords Dance
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Fang/Facade
    • Taunt/Protect

Set Comments

Gliscor is a pretty diverse Pokemon, it has the Attack and Speed stats to make it viable as a sweeper. It also has the Defense and HP to make it a prominent wall. This set aims to provide a proper balance between Gliscor's roles. Not only does the Toxic Orb and Poison Heal combo bestow Gliscor with passive recovery, but it also ensures that Gliscor doesn't suffer from any hindering status conditions (providing that you don't risk a switch in to anything that could obstruct Gliscor before it has a chance to activate Toxic Orb). Swords Dance is the highlight of the set. By switching into Pokemon that can't threaten Gliscor (usually physical presences, such as Conkeldurr and Excadrill), Gliscor can proceed to receive the +2 Attack boosts. With 100 base power and perfect accuracy, Erathquake is certainly Gliscor's staple attack. For a secondary attack there are two options. Ice Fang is preferred as it allows Gliscor to hit Landorus, other Gliscor and the numerous Dragon types floating around for super effective damage. However, Facade is also a move to be considered as it doubles in power thanks to Toxic Orb, and can hit the troublesome Rotom-W, and Pokemon with Levitate, harder. In the final move slot there are two prime options. Protect allows for scouting and more chances to receive the Poison Heal recovery, whilst Taunt gives Gliscor more opportunities to set-up against Pokemon like Excadrill and Scizor who could set-up alongside Gliscor. Taunt allows Gliscor to beat a number of walls, and opposing Gliscor.

Additional Comments
    The majority of Gliscor's EV's are dedicated to its bulk and survivability. 244 HP EVs make sure that Gliscor receives the maximum amount of recovery from Poison Heal. The 72 Speed EVs make sure that Gliscor can out-speed Tentacruel, Jolly Tyranitar and 32 Speed Zapdos. If you feel that Speed isn't much of an issue, and you're not worried about these Pokemon, then the EVs can be invested in Gliscor's defenses.

Toxic Orb Fling
    Gliscor w/ Toxic Orb
    Impish
    • Fling
    • Earthquake
    • Acrobatics
    • Protect/Swords Dance/Taunt

Set Comments

This set aims to take advantage of Gliscor's prominent new options in the form of Poison Heal and Acrobatics. Toxic Orb is obviously in place to trigger Poison Heal, after activation (from switching in) the Toxic Orb essentially becomes useless. Therefore, Fling is in place to strip the item from Gliscor and become a one-time only move with 30 base power, that also badly poisons the opponent. 'Flinging' the Toxic Orb can prove to be useful if you can predict some of Gliscor's common switch-in's, like Jellicent, Vaporeon, and other bulky Water Pokemon. Without an item, Acrobatics' base power doubles from 55 to 110, becoming Gliscor's secondary STAB boosted move of choice. Both Acrobatics and Earthquake are high powered, 100% accuracy moves with respectable coverage together. In terms of the last move slot, Gliscor has plenty of options. The extra recovery from Poison Heal and the ability to scout the opponent's next move make Protect a noteworthy option on this set. Swords Dance can be used to turn Gliscor into a deadly physical attacker. Finally, Taunt is a valuable option for shutting down walls and stopping potential threats from setting up.

Additional Comments

The 244 EVs provide that Gliscor has the maximum amount of bulk possible and hits a Poison Heal number. With the 72 EVs invested in Speed, Gliscor can out-speed Tentacruel, Jolly Tyranitar and 32 Speed Zapdos. If these threats don't apply to your team as a whole then the 72 EVs can invested in more Defense.

Stall 'Scor
    Gliscor w/ Toxic Orb
    Nature: Impish
    • Toxic/Torment
    • Protect
    • Substitute
    • Earthquake/Facade

Set Comments

The Toxic Stall set can be especially effective with Poison Heal. Either Toxic or Torment can be used in the first slot to produce two different types of stall teams. The Toxic stall team is far more common, as Toxic is used to badly poison the opponent and whittle down the opponent's HP with every turn. Although far less common, due to being difficult for most Pokemon to pull off, Torment can be deadly when used correctly. The combination of Gliscor's immunities, bulk, and few weaknessed (only Water and Ice) make the Torment stall set viable. Torment prevents your opponent from using the same move twice in a row, and Protect can be used against, what would hopefully be, the opponent's only super-effective move. Protect can also increase Poison Heal damage and allow for scouting. Using a substitute provides an even more effective method of stalling/attacking, so Substitute is in the third slot. In the fourth slot, Earthquake is the attack move of choice because it allows Gliscor to hit Steel and Poison Pokemon who are immune to Toxic. It also provides STAB, but it also leaves room for common Air Balloon users, Flying types, and Pokemon with Levitate to switch in and set up. Facade could also be used in a Torment set, as it allows Gliscor to hit the most threats and do a heavy amount of damage, but it means that Gliscor won't be able to hit Ghost types and will have a harder time against Steel types.

Additional Comments

Gliscor's Poison Heal ability aids in making the set possible, as it means that a move slot does not have to be wasted on an additional form of recovery, such as Roost. Certain status conditions would also make this set ineffective, and Poison Heal eliminates the need to worry about those. The EVs are standard for Gliscor, however the Speed EVs can be adapted if your feel that Gliscor would benefit more from investment in Defense or even Special Defense. Toxic Spikes are definitely suggested to help support this Gliscor set, they help make stalling noticeably faster. Having teammates that can inflict any status condition could prove exceptionally useful. Magnezone could prove significantly useful as a teammate, by trapping and killing Steel types who are immune to Toxic Spikes and resist Facade.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Other Options

Stealth Rock- Gliscor makes a reliable Pokemon for providing Stealth Rock, however this move can not be used in combination with Poison Heal.
    Roost- Gliscor has the option of active recovery with Roost, however Roost can not be used in combination with Poison Heal.
    Baton Pass- Gliscor is a reliable Pokemon for supporting a Baton Pass team; with set-up moves like Swords Dance and Rock Polish; supporting moves like Taunt and Substitute; and a helpful role as a status absorber.
    U-turn- A valuable option, providing excellent opportunities for scouting.
    Counter- An interesting move which can catch opponents off-guard.
    Struggle Bug- An option for the Torment set which can add to its effectiveness and annoyance.
    Fire Fang- A solid move for hitting pesky Steel types like Ferrothorn, Scizor, Skarmory and Bronzong.
    Rock Polish/Agility- Two moves that could help make sweeping notably easier.

Teammates

Gliscor's effectiveness in any set is heavily increased with the support of either Tyranitar or Hippowdon who provide Sand Stream for excess damage. Tyranitar can take the Ice type attacks aimed at Gliscor with the help of Sandstorm's Special Defense boost, and a Tyranitar carrying Fire Blast can help against some of main Gliscor's counters (Bronzong and Skarmory). In terms of synergy, Jirachi is a great teammate who can manage most of the special attacks aimed at Gliscor, and Gliscor can manage Ground typed attacks aimed at Jirachi. Tentacruel is also a valuable partner who offers special bulk and resistances to Water/Ice attacks. For the Torment set, Tentacruel is also advised as a partner for providing Toxic Spikes. Magnezone is also a useful partner for the Torment set, it can provide its ability as a Steel trapper and it carries a useful resistance to Ice attacks. Gliscor can handle the Ground attacks sent at Magnezone. Latios and Virizion should also be considered as they provide good offensive synergy for one of Gliscor's main threats, Rotom-W. Rotom-W also makes a good teammate, especially since it forms an extremely effective defensive core when put on a team with Gliscor and Jirachi.

Counters

There are numerous Pokemon that could prove to be an issue for Gliscor. In general, Steel Pokemon who aren't hit by Earthquake (such as Bronzong and Skarmory) are Gliscor's biggest enemies. Bronzong usually carries Hidden Power Ice which is a 2HKO on Gliscor. Skarmory has to beware of Gliscors who carry Taunt, but otherwise Skarmory completely walls Gliscor. Gliscor should also be concerned by bulky Water types who can threaten it with special attacks that take advantage of Gliscor's weaknesses. Prime examples are Vaporeon, Slowbro, Rotom-W, and even Gyarados. Rotom-W and Gyarados are immune to Earthquake and can proceed to set-up/KO Gliscor. Gliscor has to watch out for Pokemon such as Landorus and Mienshao who often carry Hidden Power Ice. Special Attackers that can switch into Gliscor's Earthquake could also be an issue, like Latios, Latias and Thundurus. Pokemon that carry an Air Balloon could also switch in and set up while Gliscor either tries to break the Air Balloon with Ice Fang/Facade or switches out.

Opinion

Overall, Gliscor is certainly an interesting Pokemon who has overcome the generation shift and has come out on top. With Poison Heal Gliscor's options and effectiveness are increased further. Gliscor is a valuable physical wall, and can fit perfectly into the majority of teams.

I feel as though I should write some sappy goodbye message in my signature too.

TU Got sucky. It's true.

Eevee, Ciele, DC, Luke, Steight, Tony, Mig, Unideal, Ria (when you were a girl), Hero, GS, even Dimes. Love you guys

1)
    2) Iconic runs a really interesting Gliscor set. It looses to max speed t-tar, but it has the ability to beat all other Gliscors, minus faster Taunt/Swords Dancers:

Iconic-scor
    Gliscor w/ Toxic Orb
    Bold
    EVs: 252 HP; 236 Def; 20 Spe
    -Taunt
    -Swords Dance
    -Facade
    -Earthquake

Im about 95% sure that's the right EV spread, but if he sees this, he can correct me. He might rum max defense as well.

What do you think?

Credit goes to SilentDreams for the awesome signature!

(18:35:40) +EspyOwner: Ciele is lv6
    (18:35:44) +EspyOwner: CIELE LEARNED GROWTH
    (18:35:50) +EspyOwner: Aww, Ciele hit puberty.

(22:45) Lunar: stop sending me nudes
    (22:46) SilentDreams: lolwut?
    (22:46) Lunar: oh
    (22:46) Lunar: that was supposed to go to mike ._.

Youtube Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure IconiSaur ran 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe.
    Also pretty sure that Eo ut mortus came up with it and then iconic stole it.

Anyways, Lovat, this analysis has a lot of errors, namely in the EVsets. The gen 4 standard? It sucks. Outclassed by Toxic Orb by a mile. And the other problem with it? Doryuuzu 2hko's all the sets you have listed other than the Fling + Acrobat set with +2 Return/Frustration, while you break its balloon and then die. All the sets pretty much need defense investment, and there's no reason whatsoever to max speed unless you're like, really really really lucario weak.

However, otherwise, looks pretty good!
    ~Goodbye Teamuber~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Gen 4 standard can lay down Stealth Rocks and use Roost, two things that any Toxic Orb set cannot do. That alone makes it an option, although I would have the Toxic Orb abuse set as the first option, since it really is pretty good.

I have a question though: Why does the Toxic-Fling set have more defensive EVs, while the other sets have max HP and max speed EVs? I would think that the Toxic-Fling could have max HP and max speed, so that should probably be an option.

For the Pure Swords Dancer, you should have Ice Fang/Stone Edge slashed next to Facade, for if Gliscor is running Sand Veil, then it doesn't need Facade.

I know that you're not finished this yet, but you should have other move options listed somewhere, probably near the end of the analysis. For example, a Rock Polish sweeper could be made, but it would be outclassed by other similar sweepers.

Again, nice job so far on this analysis!

Check out these 5th Generation Analyses here! (click it)

I am known by the account steel dragons (or something similar) on Pokemon Online.

Gliscor is meant to be a defensive poke. Speed investment is not necessary

Youtube Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please list Torment as one of your options. it's one of the greatest Torment Stallers I've seen; especially since Toxic Orb gives it an immunity to Status and some of the best healing. in addition, Gliscor is still pretty fast in this Generation.

If you want my set I'll try to find it later, but it's not really used, so I wouldn't post it.

Thanks mig!

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ME, SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO http://pokecheats.net/forum/member.php?9777-Dimesinbox

canada: COG-MajeSan: I am not a child molester
    canada: yet

(19:09:33) Eevee: i'm like
    (19:09:35) Eevee: really skinny?
    (19:09:48) Eevee: and haven't gone through puberty yet while some kids my age have

Quote Originally Posted by Eevee View Post
    Also pretty sure that Eo ut mortus came up with it and then iconic stole it.
    lol no, that's my spread to beat adamant breloom. 72 speed beats max speed (+speed nature) tyranitar, which is virtually nowhere.

you can probably just list 72 speed under every set because the 20 or so evs in speed isn't a huge issue, and it'd be nice to get the jump on other gliscor. swords dance / taunt gliscor wants ice fang over facade too by the way since gliscor is so damn common and you'll want to be able to beat it. leftovers gliscor is far and away outclassed by poision heal gliscor and probably doesn't even deserve to be listed.

Many thanks to Twig for the amazing signature!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Stealth Rock set should be listed, but other than that, Poison Heal Gliscor should be used.

Check out these 5th Generation Analyses here! (click it)

I am known by the account steel dragons (or something similar) on Pokemon Online.

Is this going to be finished soon?
    If not, someone should finish this.

As a side note, Stealth Rocks Gliscor shouldn't be mentioned, as Poison Heal is INFINITELY better

Youtube Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDecIsHere View Post
    Stealth Rocks Gliscor shouldn't be mentioned, as Poison Heal is INFINITELY better
    I agree,
    But think rocks should be mentioned in other options.

EDIT: Wouldn't Fling+Thief be kind of fun to mess around with?

• Credit to Questionz for the siggy • Click it to check out my youtube • I'm 1/640 in 1v1 CC •

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast