Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrafty Analysis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Scrafty Analysis

Scrafty

Type: Fighting/Dark

Abilities:
    Shed Skin- "Every turn, it has a 1 in 3 chance of healing from a status condition (BURN, PARAYLZE, SLEEP, POISON, FREEZE)." (from Serebii)
    Moxie- "Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokemon knocks out another Pokemon." (from Serebii)
    Intimidate (Dream World; Unreleased)- "Upon entering battle, the opponent’s Attack lowers one stage. In a Double Battle, both opponents’ Attack are lowered. Pokémon with the Clear Body, Hyper Cutter, or White Smoke ability are unaffected. In a link battle, if both sides switch on the same turn, and first player sends out a Pokémon with Intimidate, the opponent’s Attack will be lowered before the opponent’s Pokémon switches." (from Serebii)

Base Stats:
    HP: 65
    Attack: 90
    Defense: 115
    Special Attack: 45
    Special Defense: 115
    Speed: 58

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/560.shtml

Overview

At first glance, Scrafty doesn’t seem like a good Pokemon, especially compared to other Fighting-types introduced in gen V. It has an average Attack stat, and its Speed stat is mediocre at best. However, Scrafty does possess some attributes that give it an edge over other Fighting-types. First of all, Scrafty only has two weaknesses: Fighting and Flying. Flying-type attacks aren’t that common, so Scrafty really only has to be wary of the Fighting-type attacks. Scrafty also resists Rock, Ghost, and Dark, all of which are fairly common type attacks. This lack of weaknesses combined with above-average defenses makes Scrafty tough to take down. This Pokemon also has two good abilities: Shed Skin and Moxie. Shed Skin can be used on a defensive set, while Moxie can be used on an offensive set. Under the right conditions, Scrafty is able to run through teams and can become a valuable weapon when used correctly.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Depth/Move Sets:

Dragon Dance Sweeper
    Scrafty w/ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Ability: Moxie
    Jolly nature
    EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 Def
    • Dragon Dance
    • Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick
    • Crunch
    • Ice Punch / Stone Edge

Set Comments

Scrafty has an average attack stat and low speed stat, but it still can make good use of Dragon Dance. After a Dragon Dance its speed reaches 354, which is enough to out-speed threats like Gengar, Infernape, and Terakion. Drain Punch is preferred for the second slot. Even though it doesn't have high base power, its HP recovery, combined with Leftovers recovery, could keep Scrafty alive for a while. Hi Jump Kick can be used instead of Drain Punch. Hi Jump Kick is a 130 base power attack that can hurt many Pokemon. Crunch is really the best option for the third slot, as it is Scrafty's best Dark-typed move. For the last slot, Ice Punch is preferred, as it hits many targets like Garchomp, Gliscor, and Salamence for super-effective damage. Stone Edge can be used instead, getting better coverage against foes like Zapdos and Gyarados.

Additional Comments

Scrafty needs to have a Jolly nature with max speed EVs to out-speed as many threats as possible after a Dragon Dance. An Adamant nature could be used, but then you wouldn't even out-speed positive natured base 100 Pokemon (capping at 323 speed). The ability Moxie is preferred here, as it increases your attack by one stage after every KO. Leftovers is the preferred item here, as Leftovers recovery combined with Drain Punch recovery can keep Scrafty around for a while. Life Orb is a valid option though, as it can make Scrafty into an even more fearsome sweeper, at the cost of some durability. Hi Jump Kick would be recommended with Life Orb.

Bulky Bulk Up Sweeper
    Scrafty w/ Leftovers
    Ability: Shed Skin
    Careful nature
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Atk
    • Bulk Up
    • Rest / Substitute
    • Drain Punch
    • Payback / Crunch

Set Comments

Scrafty is bulky to begin with, and after a few Bulk Up boosts, this set can really become hard to stop. Rest is preferred for the second slot because it heals Scrafty from status effects and recovers lost HP. Shed Skin should be used along with Rest as it has a 1/3 chance of removing the self-induced sleep caused by Rest. Substitute can also be used to protect Scrafty from weaker attacks, especially after a few Bulk Up boosts. Drain Punch is really the best option for the third slot because it is a decently powered attack, and it gives some HP back to Scrafty, making it that much harder to stop. For the fourth slot, Payback is recommended because Scrafty will usually be attacked last due to its low base speed. If you don't want Payback, Crunch can work as a more consistent option. It will usually be less powerful than Payback, but it has more PP than Payback and prevents Scrafty from being pressure stalled as frequently. Stone Edge and Rock Slide could be used over the Dark move, however that isn't recommended because Scrafty would lose out on some coverage.

Additional Comments

The EVs and nature are pretty simple. 252 HP and 252 SpD EVs, along with a Careful nature give Scrafty the best possible specially defensive bulk. It won't need physical bulk as much since it would be boosting its defense with Bulk Up. Shed Skin is the best nature to have on this set because it gives Scrafty a 1/3 chance to heal from status and to wake up earlier from Rest-induced sleep every turn. Ice Punch can be used alongside Drain Punch to hit certain threats, such as the common Garchomps and Gliscors, but a Dark move is usually better, mainly for the coverage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Other Options

Fire Punch - Could be used, especially on the Dragon Dancer set, to hit Pokemon like Skarmory, Scizor, and Ferrothorn for decent damage. The other moves (Crunch, Drain Punch, Ice Punch) usually work better though.
    Thunderpunch- Could be used on the Dragon Dancer set to hit Water Pokemon, notably Gyarados, for decent damage. Again, it is mostly outclassed by the normal moves.
    Head Smash - Could be used on these sets, since it is a very powerful Rock attack. However, the recoil and sub-par accuracy make it unappealing.
    Rock Slide - Could be used over Stone Edge for the Dragon Dance set if accuracy is preferred over power.
    Dragon Tail - Could be used to phaze out threatening Pokemon. It isn't affected by Taunt, and it could be used on a utility-like Scrafty set. However, a Utility Scrafty is usually outclassed by the sweeper sets.
    Taunt- Could be useful, primarily to stop the opponent from setting up. However, there is not usually room for Taunt in Scrafty's main sets.

Teammates

Fighting is one of Scrafty's main weaknesses, so Pokemon that resist Fighting moves can work well with Scrafty. Gyarados and Zapdos are good Pokemon to use as they can counter physical walls and most Fighting Pokemon reasonably well. Thundurus also fares well against most of Scrafty's counters, as it has the ability to deal heavy damage to Zapdos, Gyarados, Skarmory, Scizor, Conkeldurr, and Machamp, especially after a Nasty plot boost. Thundurus resists the Fighting priority moves that can hurt Scrafty, and it also counters most Scizor sets to an extent. Salamence also can work well with Scrafty. Salamence resists all of Scrafty's weaknesses, and it can use moves such as Draco Meteor and Fire Blast to deal heavy damage to most of Scrafty's counters. Sweeper Starmie sets, especially with Psychic, can also be useful for getting rid of most of Scrafty's counters. In terms of setting up entry hazards, Forretress can work well with Scrafty. Unlike Ferrothorn, Forretress doesn't share any weaknesses with Scrafty, and Forretress has access to all of the entry hazard moves and Rapid Spin.

Counters

Physical walls can doom Scrafty sets. Pokemon like Hippwodon and Skarmory can switch in, take a hit, then phaze Scrafty out. Even after a Dragon Dance, Scrafty isn't all that fast. Base 115 Speed Pokemon like Starmie can be faster than Scrafty after one Dragon Dance boost. Bulky Fighting Pokemon can also cause Scrafty some problems. Conkeldurr and Machamp, in particular, can easily counter Scrafty. Scizor can set up a Swords Dance on Scrafty, then proceed to use Bug Bite for heavy damage. Other bulky Pokemon like Zapdos and Gyarados can also be used as counters for Scrafty, as long as Scrafty doesn't carry Stone Edge. In general, if a Pokemon is decently bulky and Scrafty does not have a super-effective attack against that Pokemon, then that Pokemon will fare well against Scrafty. Scrafty isn't the most threatening sweeper in the current metagame, so many Pokemon can set up in Scrafty's face and sweep if they are bulky enough.

Opinion

Scrafty has great defensive stats, excellent coverage with its STAB, Fighting, and Dark moves, and good abilities. It can effectively use both Bulk Up Sweeper, and Dragon Dance sets. If you don't have a counter for Scrafty, it will be hard to stop, as its defenses will allow it to set up, then sweep. Scrafty may not have all of the tools of a sweeper, but it can certainly become a valuable asset to your team.

Credits

I give credit to Serebii for the move, stat total, and other related information concerning Scrafty. I also give credit to Smogon for other information concerning Scrafty as well. I give credit to shaym.in.com (?) for the images.

From,
    Steel Dragons

Check out these 5th Generation Analyses here! (click it)

I am known by the account steel dragons (or something similar) on Pokemon Online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, finished the Zuruzukin analysis.

I have a question though: should any more sets be included here? If you give me a good-looking set, I'll include it on here. If you could give your input, I would very much appreciate it.

I am known by the account steel dragons (or something similar) on Pokemon Online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    bulk up set looks beastly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd just like to say, 252 Speed isn't necessary. Split it up among the defenses and HP and Speed doesn't matter anymore, it can take a lot of hits well. Not to mention being slow doesn't hurt it one bit, thanks to Drain Punch healing off what it takes and Payback getting a high base power. I found Ice Punch useful for hitting the likes of Gliscor and any other counter-fliers aside from Skarmory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well...I think that max speed is only really necessary for the dragon dance set.

So, I mostly agree with you, aside from the dragon dance set, it doesn't need any speed EVs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Facepalm*

In the first set you posted, I counfused to abbreviation for Sp. Def. with the abbreviation for Speed. Sorry about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, no problem A Communist.

Hey people! Write some good analysis for these new, 5th Gen pokemon! We really could use these to boost the popularity of Team Uber in general!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Amen. Then we can take over the online Pokemon world! *evil laugh* We could make a Teamuber clan on Serribi, Pojo etc.
    Member Of The PokeStation Analysis Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just want to make it clear that High Jump Kick is flat out not an option for the Bulk Up set -- it allows the opponent to effectively neutralize Zurzukin's potential to actually do damage by pivoting between a Dark (or, depending on the move choices, Rock) resist and letting it kill itself with High Jump Kick damage or force it out of Rest PP/force it out in general quickly.

I would however like to mention that a Sub Bulk Up set is completely viable -- Sub/DrainPunch/BulkUp/Payback is a really solid set, and though it's a little outclassed by Roobushin, Zurzukin's superior defenses make it a seriously threatening set, especially when you consider that Dragon Tail can't phaze out Pokes behind subs.
    ~Goodbye Teamuber~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *agrees* w/ eevee u lose alot if your jump kick misses Zur can be picked off easily
    The ORIGINAL purple username member of TU

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast