Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heatran Analysis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heatran Analysis

Heatran

Type: Fire/Steel

Abilities:
    Flash Fire- Activates when user is hit by a damaging Fire-type move (including Fire-type hidden power). Once activated, user's Fire-type moves deal 1.5 times damage. With this ability in effect, this Pokemon is immune to damage from Fire-type attacks and from Fire-type Hidden Power (accuracy and effect from these moves are ignored). For Fire-type Pokemon with this ability, Will-O-Wisp activates this ability without having an effect. If a non-Fire-type Pokemon has this ability, Will-O-Wisp will activate the ability and will have an effect.
    Flame Body (Dream World)- The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with BURN when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokemon.

Base Stats:
    HP: 91
    Attack: 90
    Defense: 106
    Special Attack: 130
    Special Defense: 106
    Speed: 77

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/485.shtml

Overview

Heatran most used set is it's Balloon set. Gen 5 gave Heatran a bit of a boost, it can now utilize a Balloon, which means it can't be hit by any Ground type if it doesn't get hit by any Physical/Special move beforehand. But that's not all, not only does it evades moves like Earthquake and Earth-power, it gives Heatran immunity to entry hazards like Spikes, and Stealth Rock. This is vital for Heatran considering it usually get worn down by the two, so the longer you can keep the Balloon on Heatran, the more annoying it becomes to the opponent. Despite being able to utilize a Balloon, Shucca Berry can still be used as a section item option. It depends on the user personal preference between the two.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Depth/Move Sets

Stealth Rock @ Balloon/Shucca Berry
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.A/252 Spe
    • Fire Blast
    • Stealth Rock
    • Earth Power
    • Dragon Pulse / Taunt

Set Comments

Heatran most used set in Generation 5. Much like the standard Generation 4 lead set that everyone loved to used, but with a twist. First off, due to the large amount of Dragon type Pokemon in this current Meta-game, it's smart if you use Dragon Pulse. Taunt can be used as a second option, it can surprise the opponent, and shut down stall teams temporarily. Fire Blast is Heatran main attacking source, and it's STAB move. Due to Heatran handy resistances, it has plenty of opportunities to set up Stealth Rock, which could be helpful down the line in a match. Earth Power goes along with Fire Blast, Dragon Pulse coverage. Despite this being a copy of the Generation 4 set, Heatran can utilize a Balloon. That can also give Heatran an even greater chance to set up Stealth Rocks. Shucca Berry can be used in place of a Balloon if you believe it will give you a much greater cause down the line in a match.

Additional Comments

252 Special Attack Ev's max out Heatran already impressive Special Attack, giving it the offense that it needs.

Life Orb @ Life Orb
    • Fire Blast
    • Flame Charge / Taunt
    • Earth Power
    • Hidden Power: Grass / Dragon Pulse

Set Comments

Heatran got a new interesting move in Generation 5, and that interesting move is Flame Charge. After a single Flame Charge, Heatran peaks an astounding 417 Speed. Heatran is known to be slow due to it's base 79 speed, so Game Freak gave it a great blessing from the skies which was Flame Charge. With Flame Charge, Heatran doesn't need to use a Choice Scarf, he has the ability to use a Life Orb while being able to choose between four moves, unlike the Choice Scarf set. After one single Flash Fire, Heatran hits an incredible Special Attack stat, and it will be in position to sweep a team. This should give the user an idea to use a Pokemon that Attracts Fire type moves, much like Ferrothorn. Together the two Pokemon cover each other #1 weakness, Fire for Ferrothorn, and Water for Heatran. Fire Blast is Heatran main attacking option, along with Life Orb, it hits like a truck. Hidden Power: Grass is Heatran only option to Bulky Waters, it doesn't OHKO Bulky Waters like Vaporeon, Suicune, or Jellicant, but it takes a lot out of them. You can use Dragon Pulse if you're more worried about dealing with Dragon type Pokemon like Dragonite and Latias/Latios and if you have Water types covered by another Pokemon.

Choice Scarf @ Choice Scarf
    • Fire Blast
    • Hidden Power: Grass / Explosion
    • Earth Power
    • Dragon Pulse

Set Comments

Despite getting access to Flame Charge, Heatran still can utilize Choice Scarf. Choice Scarf has it's advantages and Disadvantages, for one, you can catch the opponent by surprise and go first, and gain momentum throughout the match. The Disadvantage is that you're stuck on one move, and you can be set up bait if you don't watch what you're doing. This set is much like any other Heatran set, there isn't anything that sets it apart other than Choice Scarf. It needs 252 Speed Ev's otherwise you won't be out-speeding much. Hidden Power: Grass can be used to threaten bulky waters, despite it not doing much to Vaporeon, Suicune, Jellicant. You also must note that when Swampert is at full health, Heatran can't OHKO, so you should watch out.

Additional Comments

252 Special Attack Ev's is needed to max out Heatran offensive opportunities. Explosion can be used if you feel as if you're almost down and out, and you're real desperate for a kill. It can also be used to slow down heavy stall.

Choice Specs @ Choice Specs
    • Fire Blast / Overheat
    • Hidden Power: Grass
    • Earth Power
    • Dragon Pulse

Set Comments

Much like Life Orb, this set hit's like a Truck. With Choice Specs, Heatran along with Fire Blast hit's unbelievably high numbers even to those that resist it. With good bulk, Heatran has a countless number of opportunities he can come in and cause Havoc against the opponent. Hidden Power: Grass can catch the opponent off guard if he brings in a Bulky Water and you predict it. Earth Power is used against opposing Heatran, and can also be used against Tyranitar. Dragon Pulse is for Dragon type Pokemon. Much like the Choice Scarf set, this set can put you in trouble because you're locked into one move, so be careful when using it. You can use Overheat instead of Fire Blast for the extra power, it's up to you, but it has a pretty good chance of missing, and can mess up momentum down the line.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Other Options

Toxic- Can be used on a Heatran set. Not only does it wares the opponent down, it can be helpful down the line. Toxic also can be a way for Heatran to defeat Bulky Waters.
    Roar- Can be used to shuffle entry hazards, if you're using a stall style. Make sure to invest a lot of Special Defense, that can help Heatran stay alive a bit longer on a stall team.
    Rest- Heatran has no other possible way to get healed other than Resting and Wish Passing, so Rest can be useful, but it's not used much.
    Magma Storm- Can be used to trap the opponent, and it also has a chance to burn the Pokemon.
    Will-O-Wisp- Also a good option, as it can Burn the opponent which can be helpful. It can cut the opponent Physical Attacker Pokemon attack stat in half, which is neat.
    Flamethrower- You can use Flamethrower if you prefer the accuracy rather than the power of Fire Blast.
    Substitution- A substitution set is also viable, Heatran can work wonders behind a sub, and work from there. Substitution and Toxic is also a good combination to use, Heatran can Sub Stall his way through many of his checks/counters.
    Torment- Can also be used with a Stall like team to confuse and frustrate the opponent, you need to watch out for opposing Heatran though, as the Torment set is walled by other Heatran. It is suggested that if you do use Torment, use it with entry hazards as it can wear the opponent team down due to a lot of switching.
    Lava Plume- Can be used as well as the other options, it also has a good chance of burning the opponent.

Teammates

Heatran is a diverse Pokemon. It can be used on all types of teams. When Generation 5 came out, there was a particular type of playing style that got a boost. Sunny Day. Due to Ninetales ability to cause a Drought, much like Groudon in Ubers, Heatran had a new friend to play with. With Sunny Day up, Heatran gets a boost in fire attacks. Paired with Fire Flash, Heatran can be very deadly in Sunny Day. But you must note to yourself, Ninetales only gets Drought in Dream World. Heatran can also be used on stall teams due to his surprisingly high Special Defense, and his typing. Not only is Heatran a fire type, it's a Steel. With the release of Generation 5, there are a lot more Dragon/Steel Pokemon, so Heatran has an excess amount of times it can come in and cause some damage to the opponents team. Heatran can also be used on a Bulky Offensive minded team. Due to it's excellent bulk, it falls into that category.

Counters

Much like Generation 4, Heatran still has trouble against pesky bulky waters. Suicune, Vaporeon, Jellicant, and Gyarados all can give Heatran trouble. On the other hand, Heatran can dish out moves like Toxic or Hidden Power: Electric to wear them down a bit. Tyranitar deserves a good mention, due to it's ability to cause a Sand-Storm, and it's privilege of being a Rock/Dark type, it gets a Special Defensive boost to it's already impressive base Special Defensive stat. Heatran will still have trouble getting past Special Defensive monsters like Chansey, Blissey, and Snorlax while it's only option is to Explode when in need to do so.

Opinion

Generation 5 didn't give Heatran too much, and it didn't give it too less either. But it did give it a few pieces like Nitro Charge, and a Balloon to float on to stay competitive in this current meta-game. Now with even more Dragon / Steel types roaming around the meta-game, Heatran can be an excellent Pokemon to combat them all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What about a bulky set or a sub set? Everything on here seems to be somewhat offensive.
    I always use a bulky/sub set and it works wonders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    What about a bulky set or a sub set? Everything on here seems to be somewhat offensive.
    I always use a bulky/sub set and it works wonders.
    Mentioned both in the "Other Options"

DonatorBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very nice. If I recall correctly, there is also a Substitute set you could use:

Substitute @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/4 Sp. Def/252 Spd
    - Fire Blast
    - Substitute
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic

Heatran can pull off a Substitute set quite nicely, being very good at causing switches, giving him time to set one up. Of course you'll want to add Fire Blast for STAB and Earth Power for coverage. You used to be able to try to put Explosion in, but it's been seriously nerfed, so I'd just go with Toxic.

Nice work, Tony! I also feel we should use this format from now on as well.
    I need a sig. Hit me up if interested, please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Very nice. If I recall correctly, there is also a Substitute set you could use:

Substitute @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Sp. Atk/4 Sp. Def/252 Spd
    - Fire Blast
    - Substitute
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic

Heatran can pull off a Substitute set quite nicely, being very good at causing switches, giving him time to set one up. Of course you'll want to add Fire Blast for STAB and Earth Power for coverage. You used to be able to try to put Explosion in, but it's been seriously nerfed, so I'd just go with Toxic.

Nice work, Tony! I also feel we should use this format from now on as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but i mentioned this in "Other Options".

DonatorBoulder User
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok, how about Torment in the other options? Heatran can really put this to use and it makes sure that enemies can't keep applying healing moves, for example, and you could use it with Protect every time they are at a turn that is super effective.
    I need a sig. Hit me up if interested, please!

I would bold the moves that you listed in the "other options". This is mainly due to the fact that it is very difficult to read what options you have listed. Of course, you only have to bold the first mention of each option.

Another option I would list is Hidden Power Ice, due to the ever so common Gliscors and Garchomps. Hidden Power Fighing could be listed, but i don't believe that it can OHKO T-tar anyway, so it might not even be worth listing.

Overall, very nice job Tony.

Credit goes to SilentDreams for the awesome signature!

(18:35:40) +EspyOwner: Ciele is lv6
    (18:35:44) +EspyOwner: CIELE LEARNED GROWTH
    (18:35:50) +EspyOwner: Aww, Ciele hit puberty.

(22:45) Lunar: stop sending me nudes
    (22:46) SilentDreams: lolwut?
    (22:46) Lunar: oh
    (22:46) Lunar: that was supposed to go to mike ._.

Youtube Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Ok, how about Torment in the other options? Heatran can really put this to use and it makes sure that enemies can't keep applying healing moves, for example, and you could use it with Protect every time they are at a turn that is super effective.
    Done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDecIsHere View Post
    I would bold the moves that you listed in the "other options". This is mainly due to the fact that it is very difficult to read what options you have listed. Of course, you only have to bold the first mention of each option.

Another option I would list is Hidden Power Ice, due to the ever so common Gliscors and Garchomps. Hidden Power Fighing could be listed, but i don't believe that it can OHKO T-tar anyway, so it might not even be worth listing.

Overall, very nice job Tony.
    Done, and thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How about mentioning Lava Plume?
    yes it is usually used in ubers, but on balloon sets or on a bulkier set, it can be effective.
    +MikeDecIsHere: Eos 3333

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast