Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deoxys-S Analysis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Deoxys-S Analysis

Deoxys-S

Type: Psychic

Abilities:
    Pressure- Moves that effect this Pokemon (including entry hazards) lose one PP more than usual every turn used.

Base Stats:
    HP: 50
    Attack: 95
    Defense: 90
    Special Attack: 95
    Special Defense: 90
    Speed: 180

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/386.shtml

Overview:

The best way to put Deoxys-S into perspective, is to think of it as a weaker (both attack and defense wise), but quicker (can hit 500+ speed without scarf) Alakazam. This beast of a Pokemon spent the majority of 4th gen locked away in the dark prison of Ubers, due to it's abilities as a lead, and now is making a comeback to the OU metagame. Deoxys-S has not gained any new tools this generation, but it is still effective in OU because of its blinding speed, its access to Spikes and Stealth Rock, and its wide assortment of moves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In Depth/Move Sets

Dual Screens
    Deoxys-S w/ Light Clay
    Ability: Pressure
    Nature: Jolly / Timid
    EVs: 252 HP; 252 Spe, 4 Def
    • Reflect
    • Light Screen
    • Spikes / Stealth Rock
    • Superpower / Taunt / Shadow Ball / Psycho Boost

Set Comments

Deoxys-S can be a great user of Dual Screens. This is so mainly because of its blinding speed, allowing it to set up the appropiate screen before it is hit with an attacking move. Even if Deoxys-S is knocked out early in the match, it is certainly capable of putting up both screens a majority of the time, thus making its impact felt for the next few turns. Because of setting up dual screens, Deoxys may find time to put up some entry hazards, which is why those moves are included in this set. Spikes is recommended for the third slot simply because there are less Spikers on OU than Stealth Rockers (yes, I just said that), but Stealth Rock can certainly be used here if needed. For the last slot, Superpower is recommended simply to deal with Tyranitar, which otherwise can do major damage to Deoxys-S. Taunt is also viable, so that Deoxys-S can shut down other supporting or defensive Pokemon, like Blissey. Shadow Ball can also be used here, primarily to damage the Magic Mirror users Espeon and Xatu, who may switch in to try to reflect back Deoxys' entry hazards. Lastly, Psycho Boost can be used here as well. While Psychic isn't the greatest attacking type, Psycho Boost does have 140 base power, and Deoxys-S is fast enough to hit many threats hard.

Additional Comments

While Light Clay is the recommended item, Leftovers could be used to make Deoxys-S last longer in battle. For the last move, various other attacking moves could be used, though they wouldn't be as effective as the moves listed above. Ice Beam could be used to hit once speed boosted Pokemon like Salamence and Landorus, and Psychic could be used if the stat drop from Psycho Boost is not desirable. The EVs are designed to maximize speed as well as overall bulk, and the nature of choice depends on the move in the fourth slot. If the attacking move is physical, use the Jolly nature, and if the attacking move is special, use the Timid nature.

Standard Sweeper
    Deoxys-S w/ Life Orb
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 SpA; 224 Spe, 32 Atk
    • Psycho Boost / Psychic
    • Superpower
    • Ice Beam
    • Thunderbolt / Thunder

Set Comments

This set takes advantage of Deoxys-S' blazing speed, as well as its variety of moves, in order to hit many opposing Pokemon as hard as possible. Despite Deoxys-S' relatively average special attack stat, Psycho Boost hits many opposing Pokemon hard, and the other moves hit many Pokemon for super-effective damage. for the first slot, Psycho Boost is preferred, as Deoxys-S needs all of the power that it can get. Psychic can be used if the stat drop from Psycho Boost is undesired, but there is a huge difference in power between the two moves. Superpower is also included here, as it enables Deoxys-S to hit foes like Tyranitar, Blissey, and Heatran hard. Most of the time, Superpower won't directly KO its intended target (Blissey, Heatran, etc.) because of the minimal attack investment, but with entry hazard help, those KOs are possible. Ice Beam is included here as well, because it hits many common foes hard, foes like Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Gliscor, and Haxorus. Thunderbolt is usually the best choice for the last slot, as it hits the various Water Pokemon like Gyarados and Starmie hard, but Thunder can be used if Deoxys-S is being used on a Rain team.

Additional Comments

This set is designed to have as much power and necessary speed as possible, outspeeding foes up to Scarfed Landorus. If more power is desired for Deoxys-S, then a spread of 252 SpA, 212 Spe, and 44 Atk EVs with a Rash nature can be used. This 'more offensive' spread outspeeds foes up to Scarfed Rotom-W. The offensive spread does have more power, but it loses out on outspeeding various threats.

Offensive Spiker
    @Life Orb
    Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 46 Def / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
    • Spikes
    • Ice Beam
    • Thunderbolt
    • Psycho Boost / Hidden Power Fire

Set Comments:

This set combines Deoxys' ability to set up entry hazards, while maintaining perfect coverage and still hitting common threats hard. The first three movesets are pretty self-explanatory. The first moveslot goes to Spikes, which is what you are trying to set up to support your team. The next two moves, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, provide perfect type coverage. If you prefer Ghost/Fighitng coverage over boltbeam, you can run Shadow Ball and Focus Blast instead. The trickiest moveslot is the fourth, which has many viable options. The choice most would opt for, is STAB Psycho Boost. But, if you aren't willing to give up your physical fighting move, you can run Naive nature (+Spe, - SpD), put the 46 defensive EVs in Atk, and give the slot to Superpower/Drain Punch. The last option, and not the least any way you look at it, is HP Fire. This allows you to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn, and other steels that would normally only take neutral damage from thunderbolt. Keep in mind that while running HP Fire, you're going to have to give Deoxys 4 more speed EVs in order to maintain 493 speed. This allows you to outspeed positive natured 100 base scarfed pokemon, like ScarfRachi, and everything under.

Specs
    @Choice Specs
    Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk) or Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
    EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Hp (If Modest)
    • Psycho Boost / Psychic
    • Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball
    • Ice Beam / Focus Blast
    • Trick / Hidden Power Fire

Set Comments

This set plays simliar to Specs Latios. The trade off is you outspeed nearly everthing, can obtain perfect type coverage, but don't hit as hard, and won't live as long as Latios would. At Choice Spec's +1, Deoxys is able to reach 475 SpA with modest nature, and still retain 459 speed. Almost anything that does not resist Psycho Boost will be obliterated, but doing so will require you to switch out next turn due to the stat drop. Psychic can be used instead, if you want a more reliable STAB move. Latios also has a similar trade off, Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse. Boltbeam coverage is preferred, and will score you at least neutral damage on anything. Running Focus Blast and Shadow Ball will also ensure you score at least neutral damage on everything. Trick can be used to cripple walls that you may not be able to handle otherwise. Hidden Power Fire allows you to hit Ferrothorn, Scizor, and other steels hard, dealing 76.7% - 90.7% damage to a max SpD/max HP ferro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Other Options

Moves: Substitute: When your opponent switches out predicting your attack, sub up. This allows you to absorb priorities, and score 2HKOs you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Substitute also gives you the ability to switch out on foes that would normally pursuit you. Shadow Ball: If paired with a fighting move, like drain punch, you have perfect type coverage. Thunder: Can be used instead of thunderbolt on rain dance teams. Energy Ball: Hits swampert and quagsire, who would otherwise wall the majority of sets. Grass Knot- Energy ball is more reliable, in my opinion. Safeguard: This will keep you and your team safe from status for 5 turns. Charge Beam: Can be used as an alternative electric attack to boost SpA. Calm Mind: Most effective when you switch Deoxys in for the revenge kill, and use when your opponent switches out. also could pair with subs. Recover: Could be used for healing life orb damage, or used on a defensive set in order to get all your hazards up. Cosmic Power: I'm sure this could be fun to play around with. Knock Off: Used incase you fear your opponent tricking a choice item onto you, for defensive sets only, taunt is better. Magic Coat: Reflects taunt, entry hazards, and all other moves that don't inflict damage, even status. basically, you get espeon's dream world ability for a turn. Items: Leftovers: This is a useful item on any utility set, as it provides much needed recovery. If you were to replace Light Clay with anything, it should be this. If you are running leftovers, make sure that your HP is divisible by 12, to put leftovers at maximum recovery. Choice Band: With access to all the elemental punches and more, Deoxys-S definitely makes good use of the +1 Atk Choice Band provides. Banded Deoxys also holds the surprise element.

Counters:

Extremespeed Dragonite will be able to hit you hard, and will generally OHKO if you don't have Reflect up. Scizor has the option to Pursuit, but more likely Bullet Punch, as it has the potential to OHKO. A Subs set can be used in order to take one priority move, and still get a hit off, or screen up, on both of these pokemon. Ferrothorn, who can hit you hard with the strongest Gyro Balls in the game, walls most sweeper sets. Ferro and Scizor alone make Hidden Power Fire or Fire Punch (keep in mind Ferro has Iron Barbs) a viable option for Deoxys, with the added bonus of also hitting Bronzong, Jirachi and Metagross, which you would not be able to otherwise.

Deoxys has problems with Rotom-W as it can no longer hit it with shadow ball for super effective damage. Latios has natural special bulk, and will be able to live both shadow ball and ice beam at max HP, and OHKO you will anything it has. Reuniculus can be hit with shadow ball, but this is generally a bad idea since it will be able to live, set up a calm mind, and recover off damage. Swampert will wall most sets, but can be taken out with energy ball. Psycho Boost will do around 75% HP, which is something to keep in mind if it's not at full health. Blissey can be OHKOed by superpower, but will most likely live and get the status off. EvoChansey can take the offensive fighting moves Deoxys has much more effectively than blissey, and will be able to wall all sets will max hp/def. Any pokemon running Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Shadow Sneak, or ExtreemeSpeed with enough atk investment, will be able to switch in and kill or simply revenge kill.

Teammates:

Since the most common sets are Utility sets, phazers and sweepers benefit greatly from having Deoxys-S set up entry hazards. Likewise, if you are running a sweeper Deoxys set, then having another pokemon set up entry hazards will help you on your sweep. 3 layers of spikes is recommended, due to Deoxys' low attack stats. If you are running a utility set, questions to ask yourself concerning a sweeper comrade are:
    • How much do spikes really benefit this pokemon's sweep?
    • How much damage will my sweeper be able to do after entry hazard damage?
    • Can it set up successfully using the screens+entries Deoxys provides?

A sweeper I have used with success is Virizion. With access to Swords Dance and perfect coverage (Leaf Blade, Close Combat, Stone Edge), Virizion is able to take a few hits thanks to screens, set up SD, and get extremely clean sweeps. Although it is almost completely a gimmick, Virizion is also able to switch in, on an opponent hoping to get a dark move off on Deoxys, and get an attack boost due to it's ability. More notable sweepers that appreciate spikes are Blaziken, Lucario, Salamence, Gyarados and Scrafty.

If you decide to run a sweeper Deoxys, then entry hazards are almost mandatory. Having a pokemon that can reliably set up spikes, and take moves aimed at Deoxys from counters, is ridiculously essential. This is all due to the fact, that even with life orb, 317 max special attack is nothing to boast about, and wont score you many OHKOs. Questions to ask yourself when considering a poke for entry hazards:
    • Does this pokemon have recovery options?
    • If not, will it live long enough to set up all it's entry hazards?
    • Can this pokemon take hits Deoxys can't, if needs be?

Skarmory resists Dark, Ghost, Bug, and nearly all priority moves, which will all be thrown at offensive Deoxys often, and can also set up entry hazards to help Deoxys sweep. Other viable options are Forretress, who lacks recovery but makes good use of Volt Switch, Roselia and Qwilfish.

Opinion:

Since the lead metagame is practically non-existant, Deoxys-S has lost a lot of what made it so effective in the previous generation. It's capabilities as a lead were the sole reason it was given the title 'Uber' in Gen 4. Deoxys-S is ridiculously frail, and can't hit nearly as hard as many other Pokemon can, which makes it outclassed by almost all other Life Orb sweepers. The only category Deoxys-S is not 'obviously' outclassed in is utility, which is a role he fills extremely well. All and all, there are more effective Pokemon to use in place of Deoxys-S.

• Credit to Questionz for the siggy • Click it to check out my youtube • I'm 1/640 in 1v1 CC •

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This one might sound odd but a Substitute Set
    (something like)
    252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe @ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant
    - Substitute
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Superpower/Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch

Could work since it shields Deoxys from proirity.
    The ORIGINAL purple username member of TU

This doesn't follow the analysis format....

Also, if this was copied from IAC's 4th gen analysis, then it needs to be redone. The main issue here is that the lead metagame is dead.

Credit goes to SilentDreams for the awesome signature!

(18:35:40) +EspyOwner: Ciele is lv6
    (18:35:44) +EspyOwner: CIELE LEARNED GROWTH
    (18:35:50) +EspyOwner: Aww, Ciele hit puberty.

(22:45) Lunar: stop sending me nudes
    (22:46) SilentDreams: lolwut?
    (22:46) Lunar: oh
    (22:46) Lunar: that was supposed to go to mike ._.

Youtube Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDwhiscash View Post
    This one might sound odd but a Substitute Set
    (something like)
    252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe @ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant
    - Substitute
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Superpower/Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch

Could work since it shields Deoxys from proirity.
    Wow, i can't believe I didn't think about a substitute set. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDecIsHere View Post

Also, if this was copied from IAC's 4th gen analysis, then it needs to be redone. The main issue here is that the lead metagame is dead.
    EDIT: fixed the format, added WIP. sorry it was super late and i was tired >_<

The only thing I took from IAC was the counters quote, which i gave him credit for, and the dual screen set. I created the other sets myself, and wrote all the statistics and explanations myself, if there's like a 'copy write' issue. Only one of the sets I made is a lead, and i would be more than happy to take it and IAC's dual screen set out. I just thought that they should at least be mentioned, as some people still want screens up, and entry hazards.

• Credit to Questionz for the siggy • Click it to check out my youtube • I'm 1/640 in 1v1 CC •

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Add Super Power to the Band Set. Mainly for T-tar who kinda just gets tickled by everything else. Also, mention that Substitute can help you switch out on Foes that would normally pursuit you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDwhiscash View Post
    Add Super Power to the Band Set. Mainly for T-tar who kinda just gets tickled by everything else. Also, mention that Substitute can help you switch out on Foes that would normally pursuit you.
    Drain Punch manages 99% - 116.8% on a 252 hp/4 def Tyranitar. Is Superpower absolutely necessary? o_o
    EDIT: Adding that fact to the substitute description. Thanks! ^__^ I'm trying to come up with a solid subs set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDecIsHere View Post

Agreed. Deoxys-E was only banned because it centralized the lead metagame. After testing, many people discovered after just how vital leads can be. With wifi in place (don't even mention Dream World; it's not actually a tier and lacks the team preview, which it shouldn't), team preview knocks leads out of the park.

Also, you misspelled "Psychic" as Physic and other apparent variations of Physic.

Thanks mig!

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ME, SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO http://pokecheats.net/forum/member.php?9777-Dimesinbox

canada: COG-MajeSan: I am not a child molester
    canada: yet

(19:09:33) Eevee: i'm like
    (19:09:35) Eevee: really skinny?
    (19:09:48) Eevee: and haven't gone through puberty yet while some kids my age have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just to help out, here's the updated format in spoiler form. Could you please add a description of the Pressure ability? Also, I let some of the bold in for the move sets, but I think it might be a bit excessive. You also need to add a Teammates and Opinion section, but you probably already knew that :P

Spoiler!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh god, now I just read what you actually wrote.

After reading this, I can tell that you're doing it wrong. Please do not make sets (and put them at first but even then you should have a reason for doing so), but rather follow statistics. The "Anti Priority" set is pretty much useless because your opponent isn't always going to use it and when they do, you may find that you're lacking in power. I would just scrap that set completely.

I also don't feel that either Choice sets should even get a set. If you want to keep a set, then Choice Specs is fine, but Band is better suited for Other Options. Speaking of which, please remove that Swagger garbage involved. Extremespeed shouldn't get a mention, nor should Meteor Mash. Fire Punch should be removed from sets and added to Other Options due to lack of use and add Calm Mind, which also boosts Deoxys-E's Special Attack. Also, add Safeguard.

Don't mention priority as a counter when you delve into awful examples. Extremespeed Dragonite and Scizor make problems, not priority. Deoxys-E has many problems with Rotom-W, Latios, Reuniculus, Swampert, Blissey and Miracle of Evolution Chansey, so add them to your list.

Thanks mig!

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT ME, SEND A PRIVATE MESSAGE TO http://pokecheats.net/forum/member.php?9777-Dimesinbox

canada: COG-MajeSan: I am not a child molester
    canada: yet

(19:09:33) Eevee: i'm like
    (19:09:35) Eevee: really skinny?
    (19:09:48) Eevee: and haven't gone through puberty yet while some kids my age have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Follow statistics? Please don't say the PO ones I saw those... a lot of sets used there are ******.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast